• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Annual General Meeting

Whispering_Jack

If they can put BBO off the grog for a month, methinks they are neither worked very hard nor future sausages ... :blink:

when slave owners says "but i treat them just like family" it reminds me of footy boards who say "we have ful confidence in the coach"

• Like 1

No one is suggesting this.

The wording is to be "aiming" for finals, not "will play" finals. There is a massive difference.

At the end of the day ..we have heard words from many an administration/coach over the years. They mean little to me - action not words. Whilst the "actions" of Roos and co haven't translated into a meteoric rise up the ladder I am feeling more bullish than I ever have before.

• Like 3

We are finally looking like a club that knows what it is doing rather than the laughing stock we have been for too long. To announce the aim to play a final in 2016 sits comfortably with me. To announce we aim to play finals this year after finishing 17th - smacks of stating a goal because it is an expected statement rather than acknowledging how far back we are coming from. Remember Schwab ( Hawthorns coach) stating that they were going to win the premiership ?

You can state goals that will have follow on consequences. I would like a goal to be that the games where we lead or are in the game in the last quarter we win - by extension, last year , that would have got us close to the finals.

At the start of every season the initial target should be the make finals and then re-evaluate during the season. I don't care what anyone says that should be the starting goal. You don't have to come out saying "our goal is to win the flag this season" or any other brash statements, you don't even have to say anything. However if you are going to say something all you need say is "like every other club we aim to play finals each season" doesn't have to be a standout comment that puts the spotlight on. I think it's bad PR especially for some of the "bandwagon" supporters who might think well we'll wait til next year now, it's like your telling them the season is over before it begins so why would they turn up to games or buy memberships? I don't think anyone thinks we'll win the flag in 2015 and even finals might be a long shot but to come out before the season and say our aim is to play finals NEXT year kind of puts a dampener on the illogical beliefs and hopes of sports fans.

• Like 1

At the start of every season the initial target should be the make finals and then re-evaluate during the season. I don't care what anyone says that should be the starting goal. You don't have to come out saying "our goal is to win the flag this season" or any other brash statements, you don't even have to say anything. However if you are going to say something all you need say is "like every other club we aim to play finals each season" doesn't have to be a standout comment that puts the spotlight on. I think it's bad PR especially for some of the "bandwagon" supporters who might think well we'll wait til next year now, it's like your telling them the season is over before it begins so why would they turn up to games or buy memberships? I don't think anyone thinks we'll win the flag in 2015 and even finals might be a long shot but to come out before the season and say our aim is to play finals NEXT year kind of puts a dampener on the illogical beliefs and hopes of sports fans.

Dr. G i think anyone with even a remote interest in AFL knows how shite this club has been...For PJ to mention september in 2016 is a revelation of epic proprtions in my eyes..

with the previous administration we were staring down the barrel of extinction.

• Like 1

My instinctual reaction was annoyance when I heard PJ say we were aiming for finals in 2016.

I've since come to see it as not putting limits on 2015, but setting realistic expectations that we should play finals in 2016.

It's different to what we're used to, but I think he's setting expectations that we can genuinely be angry at not meeting, as opposed to the often unrealistic goals of the past, such a GF in the next 4 years, or being the "team of the decade."

We're obviously working towards these lofty goals, but in the meantime we're setting realistic achievable short term goals to work towards.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

Wouldn't it be amazing to say we actually achieved one of these targets one day?

I know we shouldn't underestimate what we can achieve, but we have to remember where we are starting from also.

Edited by Machsy
  • Like 4

My instinctual reaction was annoyance when I heard PJ say we were aiming for finals in 2016.

I've since come to see it as not putting limits on 2015, but setting realistic expectations that we should play finals in 2016.

It's different to what we're used to, but I think he's setting expectations that we can genuinely be angry at not meeting, as opposed to the often unrealistic goals of the past, such a GF in the next 4 years, or being the "team of the decade."

We're obviously working towards these lofty goals, but in the meantime we're setting realistic achievable short term goals to work towards.

Wouldn't it be amazing to say we actually achieved one of these targets one day?

I know we should underestimate what we can achieve, but we have to remember where we are starting from also.

This seems to be lost on a lot of people

I know we should underestimate what we can achieve, but we have to remember where we are starting from also.

....and it is important not to place supporters expectations on a single line used by PJ. He is the CEO, not the Coach.

And as such he has to formulate a budget based around certain assumptions. That was the budget he presented last night as well.

It was conservative, and assumed and made projections on all sorts of things. Like match attendances, memberships, AFL distributions....and guess what....where the team would be at the end of this year, and where it will be next year.

Why? Because the on-field performance will affect all of those things...match attendances, membership, sponsorship, AFL distributions.

It is irresponsible to take his comment in isolation. He was making it to demonstrate those very assumptions he has made in formulating the strategic plan and budget out to 2017.

Far better that he explain it, with a conservative approach, than to come out and say we are going to play finals this year and be Premiers next year, and then base a budget around that.

If we do play finals this year, it will be a financial bonus. But you cannot spend the money beforehand expecting to make the returns from finals. That's a sure way to go broke.

It's not how you run a household budget , or a football club budget.

• Like 7

what kind of twisted logic is it to think that a 2016 finals target automatically means 'no finals in 2015'?

I would have thought the obvious inherent meaning of the statement is '2016 at the latest'

it doesn't matter in the slightest what he does or does not say anyway.. it's not like it will have some effect on game day

talk about whinging over nothing

Funny you should mention this but I'm pretty sure 'Gubby' said they would win a flag in 2015.

Yep he did..

http://aflfeeds.com/article/gws_predicts_2015_premiership_success

And not many will care and not much will come of it ...

There are 'big statements' made all the time in sport but those comments only matter if the sporting public cares. GWS are out of sight and out of mind for the most part.

Now, if they were a finals team or a more visible team, it's a different matter. Gubby can probably still say whatever he wants and probably won't be held to account.

There are often other reasons why a story never gains legs ... this one is interesting or rather, it should have been ....

Athletics runs rings around AFL

Prophetic words in some ways hey? Back then, I'm reckoning that most didn't want to know about it (possible PED's in the AFL) Even now, many won't want to know about the lack of 'real' testing for PED's in the AFL.

It's any wonder that the Bombers tested the boundaries.

Edited by Macca

The one and only reason we got scrutinised was because of Brock McLean. The AFL could not allow the image of the game tarnished and they were forced to act.

One dog-faced bogan and his big arrogant mouth

Really? And Tony Libretore saying 'Carlton tanked, no bones about it' wasn't enough?

Or Fev saying they tanked in the Kreuzer CUp??

Nah, just look at who the Chief Commissioner played for. That will get you your answer....

• Like 3

I normally don't listen to any thing Greg Denham says....BUT....This morning I happened to listen to him on KB's show.

He stated that the only reason MFC posted a profit was that they had sacked half of their staff and the "profit" was misleading the members.

When asked if he had read the financials, he stated that he didn't need to and that he knew the truth of the matter.

Now I don't know a lot about businesses or how they are run, but I do know that if you have too many staff and have to down size it would be prudent to cut those staff.....Which I think is good business practice.....Is it not????

I normally don't listen to any thing Greg Denham says....BUT....This morning I happened to listen to him on KB's show.

He stated that the only reason MFC posted a profit was that they had sacked half of their staff and the "profit" was misleading the members.

When asked if he had read the financials, he stated that he didn't need to and that he knew the truth of the matter.

Now I don't know a lot about businesses or how they are run, but I do know that if you have too many staff and have to down size it would be prudent to cut those staff.....Which I think is good business practice.....Is it not????

I am positive he said that last night Bossdog.

It was my understanding that the majority of the savings were from staff payment changes.

He made a comment that the business was running better under the new structure and it had saved $1+ million

IMO Greg was up to his usual standard if it ain't the WCE then the organisation is poor.

Also he was rabbiting on this time last year that the Bulldogs were doing a good job and this was how Melbourne should have done things.

Now he does not have a good thing to say about them and calls them rabble

I love the idea that one doesn't need to examine the facts if they already know the "truth".

"I've already made up my mind! No evidence or fact finding required!"

• Like 2

what kind of twisted logic is it to think that a 2016 finals target automatically means 'no finals in 2015'?

I would have thought the obvious inherent meaning of the statement is '2016 at the latest'

it doesn't matter in the slightest what he does or does not say anyway.. it's not like it will have some effect on game day

talk about whinging over nothing

Totally agree.

Isn't it better to promise low and deliver high

Rather than promise high and deliver nothing.

Necessary business practice when warranted. Denham sometimes rides KB's opinions. He understands how far back Melbourne is coming from, yet only praises "job well done" when its warranted. He was careful on heaping praise on Jackson (unlike KB), because his opinion is that Jackson cut spending (I'd like to think Jackson influenced spending where required) to stop a ship from sinking which resulted in a small profit.

It seems you've got to make $4.7 million profit these days in a two team town with great corporate support to gain praise these days.

PS. Must be ratings season. KB hires antagonism to stir up the listeners. Don't bite on the hook.

I normally don't listen to any thing Greg Denham says....BUT....This morning I happened to listen to him on KB's show.He stated that the only reason MFC posted a profit was that they had sacked half of their staff and the "profit" was misleading the members.When asked if he had read the financials, he stated that he didn't need to and that he knew the truth of the matter.Now I don't know a lot about businesses or how they are run, but I do know that if you have too many staff and have to down size it would be prudent to cut those staff.....Which I think is good business practice.....Is it not????

And commenting on the financial position of our club without READING the financials is brilliant investigative journalism!

FFS

Never liked him and never will.

• Like 1

We won games and and narrowly lost games last year playing absolutely deplorable football.
Even when we won we were rubbish.
If we could by some miracle get some confidence and a good run with injury, anything could happen.

Edited by Fork 'em

Necessary business practice when warranted. Denham sometimes rides KB's opinions. He understands how far back Melbourne is coming from, yet only praises "job well done" when its warranted. He was careful on heaping praise on Jackson (unlike KB), because his opinion is that Jackson cut spending (I'd like to think Jackson influenced spending where required) to stop a ship from sinking which resulted in a small profit.

It seems you've got to make $4.7 million profit these days in a two team town with great corporate support to gain praise these days.

PS. Must be ratings season. KB hires antagonism to stir up the listeners. Don't bite on the hook.

Many of the clubs are posting excellent profits these days and those profits can often be directly attributed to poker machines ... our overall revenue last year from our 2 venues was over 11 million dollars.

Carlton's was over 18 million whilst the Hawks was over 19 million. Big bucks.

Sure, we cut costs but our revenues are still increasing despite being a poorly performed side - those revenues would be increasing to a far more substantial level if we were to have winning seasons.

We're well set up to produce healthy profits - we just need to win.

• Like 4

Greg Denham seems to have all the charm of an old school journo with the knowledge and work ethic of the new age ones.

There's no doubt PJ cut the staffing back. But he also invested plenty in the footy department staff ie. the core staff and I don't think we are short changing our spending on players (not that you are allowed to).

If he thinks PJ has cooked the books to fudge a profit or has made excessive cuts to the staff then do the research. Otherwise don't go off half cocked.

PJ has invested in finding footy department staff to win games. Once that happens there will be more revenue to share around on additional staff who help do things to boost membership, crowds etc.

• Like 2

Many of the clubs are posting excellent profits these days and those profits can often be directly attributed to poker machines ... our overall revenue last year from our 2 venues was over 11 million dollars.

Carlton's was over 18 million whilst the Hawks was over 19 million. Big bucks.

Sure, we cut costs but our revenues are still increasing despite being a poorly performed side - those revenues would be increasing to a far more substantial level if we were to have winning seasons.

We're well set up to produce healthy profits - we just need to win.

That is it Macca winning will fix a hell of a lot of things

That is it Macca winning will fix a hell of a lot of things

It's quite remarkable that we even produced a small profit this year but such is the way how the clubs are operated these days, poker machines play a huge part in a club's revenues.

It's not something that people readily want to talk about either but ... nevertheless, it's a trueism. How North get by without them is all the more remarkable. I'm not advocating that North should get them nor am I endorsing poker machines in any way. I'm simply stating the obvious.

Even if we only get to 8 wins this season I'm expecting the club to post another profit. However, once we get to 10-12 wins plus, the flow-on effects in terms of revenues can increase substantially (providing that we're well run)

• Like 2

Re my comment on the Casey agreement, when it was announced and published on the Club Website in 2008, it said it was a 10 year agreement, we have supporters bemoaning the lack of information from the club, and when it is provided don't read it, I thought it was a well know fact, why I don't join in with the topics about the alignment, perhaps I should have and stopped them dead till 2018, my bad........also believe the bus was a write off