THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

This thing is beyond a joke.

Essendon did the wrong thing, they were caught and admitted to it but because the evidence of the particulars isn't concrete- this thing keeps going and will likely continue to gradually play on until they are in a position to walk away scot-free.

Cronulla in the same position fought it, then eventually conceded for considerably reduced penalties (which were also offered to Essendon) and now the Sharks, NRL and ASADA have moved on from the issue.

That's the way it should've also played out here.

FFS Essendon put the wallet away and accept the consequences.

except that, for going the wallet and courts, the consequences have to have escalated dramatically. Well, should have.

The real case here is not the drug cheating; that's been relegated by what is a totally unprecedented effort to get scrutiny of their behaviour disallowed. Hard to think what penalty short of expulsion could be fitting. Surely, now, it's too late, and altogether too audacious/disrespectful, to be talking of reduction of penalties.

• Like 2

Have the Karmichael Hunt's been found guilty and charged yet?

Happy New Year

It is only Jan 2015 wyl.

there will struggle to be a decision by this time 2016.

The wheels of justice grind slowly and in this case I am not sure they are moving at all.

One thing that I can't believe has not been reported in the Australian media is that on the 1st of January, WADA increased the minimum sentence for a doping violation from 2 years to 4 years (see BBC article http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/30648392 )

If this applies to the 34 accused then it would double the time out suspended and have major ramifications for the AFL, even if as expected the players recieve a discounted sentence for cooperating. Whether or not the players are subject to this new rule or whether they fall under the law that was in place when the doping violation occurred I don't know?? If there's any lawyers out there reading it would be great to get clarification on this.

You can't sentence someone to penalties introduced after they committed their crime. It'll be two years maximum.

well...... I reckon retrospective could occur, it's not like their actions were the social norm and that later penalties are a complete surprise. They were breaking a law/rule to which penalties applied already, they've only been "enhanced" so the speak ;-) or the "barnacles" have been scraped off.

• Like 1

I would have thought as Lamashtu says that no retrospectivity could be applied.

But I also think this shows a degree of significance with the issue (drugs in sport) that has not been matched by the action against Essendon.

While action has been glacial,most due to the uncompromising opposition of Hird and Little there must be a significant decision to uphold the importance placed on drug cheating.

The continued appeals does seem to have allowed Essendon to retire or replace those who are affected.

As others have stated what impact any Workcover and player compensation actionwill have on the club is incomrehensible.

Any employer who allowed and insisted on a "pharmacalogical experiment" being undertaken by their employees would certainly have been in considerable trouble.

I am still thinking justice delayed is justice denied and believe the public deserves an outcome.

• Like 2

Tim Lane underlines the importance of the fight against doping in sport . .

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/asada-is-not-the-enemy-in-the-essendon-supplements-saga-20150110-12lgqp.html

Lane writes:

That the voice of cycling through much of the world was speaking in this way says much for the burden carried by anti-doping agencies in "big fish" cases. Successful sports stars attract loyalty to an extent that is often irrational. Many supporters will not countenance serious questioning of their behaviour.

He is spot on - just replace "big fish" by EFC or Hird.

• Like 1

Lane writes:

That the voice of cycling through much of the world was speaking in this way says much for the burden carried by anti-doping agencies in "big fish" cases. Successful sports stars attract loyalty to an extent that is often irrational. Many supporters will not countenance serious questioning of their behaviour.

He is spot on - just replace "big fish" by EFC or Hird.

I have long admired Tim Lane the broadcaster - but not always Tim Lane the journalist.

On this occasion he is absolutely right. His point is well made ... and well-timed!!

Well at least the timing is good.

All this laughable comments starting tomorrow.

Whilst our players are bonding up the Sunshine Coast.

We'll have plenty to read this week.

Maybe they have discovered that ASADA powers include the ability to monitor telephone records and not just meta data.

is it over yet ?

did they get 2 years or 2 days

honestly had enough of this

either suspend them or do nothing

all it is doing is hurting the afl

Totally arse about.

All the AFL has been doing is hurting the clubs to cover their stuff ups.

And Essendon has been stuffing up the AFL to suit there own agenda.

Totally arse about.

either way still had enough

they have been doing this for years if not longer

And Essendon has been stuffing up the AFL to suit there own agenda

and everyone for that matter

Essendon like all clubs vernally only care about themselves

Totally arse about.

And Essendon has been stuffing up the AFL to suit there own agenda

The AFL has no part in these proceedings. So exactly how has the AFL been hurting other clubs? A very uninformed comment.

It is only Jan 2015 wyl.

there will struggle to be a decision by this time 2016.

The wheels of justice grind slowly and in this case I am not sure they are moving at all.

its not the decision that hurts them OD; its the slooowwww grinding of the slooowwww wheels running over them. booombooom booombooom

Low%20loader%20trailers%20Kassbohrer%20S

it could be the same machinery used to run us down...