Melbourne makes financial profit

Jarka

Everywhere I read about successful teams there is just about always the direction that it was because the "Club " got its act together off-filed and then this brought via symbiosis or otherwise success on field.

We've been minnows fro that long I cant remember when we werent. Some other clubs are struggling off filed whilst just hanging in there on field.

I think we've got it right.

Dont let PJ leave

Anyone have our profit figures over the last decade?

is that a trick question ??

• Like 3

Only myself Clit!

BBO please remind me but I think we established earlier on that you had joined the Lodge in Romsey to help keep you off the streets?

I would not jump up for joy over the financial report for the MFC.

As there appears to be some very concerning issues in the Statement of Financial Position.

I will need to read the report before I can comment further, but from a quick look I am very concerned.

Are you suggesting some kind of disturbance in the force Luke?

Just made myself laugh as I envisaged a Jedi looking over financial reports!

I would not jump up for joy over the financial report for the MFC.

As there appears to be some very concerning issues in the Statement of Financial Position.

I will need to read the report before I can comment further, but from a quick look I am very concerned.

Crying wolf??

If they are repeatedly concerning why cant you articulate them.now?

I look forward to the indepth analysis..

• Like 1

FWIW, after cleaning up the debacle of the past administration during 2013 with a $3.1 million loss, the ability to steady the ship after such a woeful 2014 on field is notable.

Good sponsorship and benefit of cutting over $1 million of off field costs have certainly helped us toward forming a base from which to grow the Club.

The attraction of a marque coach in Roos has helped win back some of the disenchanted faithful. However the honeymoon is over and we need to see tangible results on the field to provide momentum to build on this outcome.

Well done PJ but the challenge is still definitely in front of you.

• Like 1

Not an entirely successful move Earl!

Do I need to have a word to the local Master? Please tell me you have not divulged the secret passwords around Romsey?

Rumors that the profit was garnered from the proceeds of the sale of CS's desk remain unproven yet contentious.

Yes I wonder if there were not some one off sales to get this result. Are we really financially sustainable? If we are I am waiting for the Dorks and The Pies, the big earners to announce a profit dividend payments to their members or to announce plans to take on the world.

I think the profit and loss figures show that it's more than just a matter of cleaning up the mess caused by one administration. The figures show it's far more deep seated and has been recurring through various administrations. The reality is that we need to have the whole club working together and not like a camp divided. The best outcome is one that allows for on field improvement as well as making good strides financially. That's PJ's challenge.

• Like 1

Yes I wonder if there were not some one off sales to get this result. Are we really financially sustainable? If we are I am waiting for the Dorks and The Pies, the big earners to announce a profit dividend payments to their members or to announce plans to take on the world.

The following by no means paints the full picture EH but they are real figures ...

Revenue from the 2013 Annual Report (page 22)

• 3,311,071 ... Gate Receipts (needs to increase substantially and would do if we received a better fixture & if we win a lot more games
  • 10,846,244 ... Distributions from the AFL (will increase incrementally)
  • 723,068 ... Merchandise (a poor result but again, it's "wins" related)
  • 5,100,106 ... Membership & Annual Reserved Seating (win more games and this figure jumps)
  • 6,368,135 ... Marketing/corporate sponsorship & general fundraising (win more games and this figure jumps)
  • 462,141 ... Foundation heroes /debt demolition fundraising (previously, we've had a lot more income from this area but it can't necessarily be relied on unless ... we win more games)
  • 1,329,141 ... other revenue
  • 11,291,234 ... Social & Gaming Revenue (the other "biggie" and from all accounts, will only get bigger)
  • 1,450,000 ... AFL financial assistance package (A one-off payment to help assist in paying out some contracts)

There's huge scope for improving our revenues ... what we mainly need to do for that to happen is to win a lot more games - we are well set up to take advantage of an improved on-field showing.

To be in the black to the tune of 3 million plus after 8 years of mainly poor results is an outstanding result.

We could be talking about a far different result right now ... as a comparison, the Lions are apparently 12 million in the red. Port can't turn a profit and the Saints are losing big amounts as well.

• Like 1

I think the profit and loss figures show that it's more than just a matter of cleaning up the mess caused by one administration. The figures show it's far more deep seated and has been recurring through various administrations. The reality is that we need to have the whole club working together and not like a camp divided. The best outcome is one that allows for on field improvement as well as making good strides financially. That's PJ's challenge.

Actually the turn around in profit and loss figures from the current year and past year reflect the past administration's ills being cleaned up and put to bed by PJ.

In the Directors report from the 2013 Annual Report there was this:

Operating Net Loss (1,704,557) - PJ has cut over $ 1 million of unnecessary operating costs that he inherited from the past CEO.

AFL Investigation Costs (787,091) - Hmmmm - this was in regard matters occurring under the previous administration

Net Restructure Costs (after AFL funding of $1.45mil) (584,457) - Closing out contracts to members of the past administration including Schwab, Neeld and Connolly

Fixed Asset Write Offs (26,456)

Net Loss as reported in Statement of Comprehensive Income (3,102,561)

We still have the structural and strategic challenges ahead for the Club but PJ buried in one financial hit the restructuring costs from the old guard to try and right the ship. Its early days and there is much still to be done

But I am glad we agree on the challenge ahead for PJ.

Here is to making further progress on and off the field!!

Go Dees!

• Like 1

The Democratic republic of Congo is the fastest growing economy in the world.