THE ROAD TO ROUND 1, 2015

iv'a worn smith

Wow......If you don't get selected in the 1st game you should be traded???

If you have been around for a while and can't get a game of course he should be traded.

He's a fringe player at best, if you can get a better deal for him then why not?

My concern with Grimes is that he has been so ordinary for a long time that not many teams will be interested in him.

I'm also struggling with the idea that Brayshaw gets in ahead of M Jones when he wasn't deemed good enough to get a gig in any of the NAB Cup games ...

Bob, the only reason Brayshaw didn't get picked in the earlier NAB games was because of concussion (and fears of concussion).

Edited by bing181
  • Like 2

Bob, the only reason Brayshaw didn't get picked in the earlier NAB games was because of concussion (and fears of concussion).

He most certainly played the weekend we played a very weak Essendon and I thought he played the week before but I'm probably wrong.

Look, he's obviously talented, he's playing well and the FD know what they are doing. I'm just surprised.

Does anyone know which players are playing against Collingwood tomorrow. I presume if you're fit and not playing for the seniors you'll play for Casey apart from the carry over player.

I reckon Jack Viney should be on notice tomorrow.

It's crystal clear that we've weeded out the regulars who can't kick and Viney is indeed a poor kick.

When you consider we have an elite ball user to return in round 2, there's no reason why Viney shouldn't be exempt from Casey if he butchers the ball tomorrow, like he did In the nab challenge.

It's crystal clear that we've weeded out the regulars who can't kick and Viney is indeed a poor kick.

When you consider we have an elite ball user to return in round 2, there's no reason why Viney shouldn't be exempt from Casey if he butchers the ball tomorrow, like he did In the nab challenge.

Exactly what they said about Nat Jones and his old man Todd. Wouldn't worry about it yet. The development people will be on to it.

• Like 1

Exactly what they said about Nat Jones and his old man Todd. Wouldn't worry about it yet. The development people will be on to it.

doesn't change the fact that we should be picking the team that is best placed to win the football match, and if he's not there yet he shouldn't be selected yet

devlopment also occurs at casey fields

Viney is young & a work in progress still but at least adds an aggressive element this team otherwise has been lacking which the other blokes who have been dropped who are also older do not.

I already have more confidence in Brayshaw going for goal then a M. Jones, Bail or McKenzie, even as a first gamer, which says a lot imo.

• Like 2

it is quite incredible

Bizarre actually

why? He is still very young and his his game is still riddled with holes, which is completely natural and acceptable. Why should we blindly back the position of a kid in the side when , at this point in time, a better player should be in the position to help us win the game? Again, similar to Brayshaw, I have high hopes for his future, and will scream my lungs out for him, but if there is player in the emergencies that is likely to deliver more for this weeks game of football he should be in there instead. simple. Remember these are 1st/2nd/3rd year players, their time to be prime players is several years away, we don't need to be placing this burden on them yet

why? He is still very young and his his game is still riddled with holes, which is completely natural and acceptable.

Exactly, so why are people jumping off him so fast like hes a spud?

• Like 2

Exactly, so why are people jumping off him so fast like hes a spud?

I don't mind if people question if he should be in the team right now if he butchers the pill but I find this stuff about how 'he is playing for his career' and how he is 'on notice' a bit extreme.

I don't mind if people question if he should be in the team right now if he butchers the pill but I find this stuff about how 'he is playing for his career' and how he is 'on notice' a bit extreme.

Yeah thats what I am referring to

I have zero problem with him (or anyone else) going to Casey if form warrants it

Brayshaw's inclusion is any easy one for me. Loves the contest, is hard at the ball, shows grunt and loves getting in the thick of it. Erm, Bail...? Matt Jones? Grimes? Don't exactly strike fear into the opposition.

We've been a soft team for far too long. The best teams, as Roosy said at the season launch, are the hardest teams that bruise their opposition; it throws them off their game.

It's exactly what our team desperately needs; some mongrel and some X-factor.

• Like 2

I think its odds on that Jack Grimes will play. I have no evidence at all except exasperation on how the club (used to) run things.

Hope I'm wrong about a last minute call up, because I will not believe it was an accident.

I feel guilty for thinking this BTW.

Brayshaw's inclusion is any easy one for me. Loves the contest, is hard at the ball, shows grunt and loves getting in the thick of it. Erm, Bail...? Matt Jones? Grimes? Don't exactly strike fear into the opposition.

We've been a soft team for far too long. The best teams, as Roosy said at the season launch, are the hardest teams that bruise their opposition; it throws them off their game.

It's exactly what our team desperately needs; some mongrel and some X-factor.

Thats why Players like Watts and Toumpas need to us their athleticism and football smarts to expose the opposition because they are both very soft and lack mongrel and need to strike fear into the opposition in other ways.

They want to play Brayshaw because they know he's a talent and he's the future. They know Matt Jones and Bail are depth, They're rewarding Brayshaw's last 3 weeks and they also realise he'll gain more by playing in the AFL than VFL. They recognise his talent and want to get AFL games into him. If he wasn't ready he wouldn't be playing, but picking Brayshaw is multifaceted. It's not just based on his output tomorrow.

I too can't believe some of the comments on Viney. He's made errors, but he looks set for a great year and will only get better. This from Nathan Jones when asked who he's looking forward to stepping up. "Jack Viney. I think he’s got the real potential to be one of those key drivers in the midfield. He had a terrific pre-season and he’s worked hard on his game and I’m really excited about what he’s got to offer. He’s got some great attributes as well and if he can consistently contribute for us, he’s going to be a great player."

Viney was the first player he mentioned.

• Like 6

Exactly. There is a very specific Roos-prototype AFL player, and Angus has every trait PR loves.

If you lack those traits, you desperately need to excel in other areas to get into a Roos team, be it athleticism, class, awareness, defensive transition, etc. He loves the contested footy though; the tackles, the bumps, the bruises. If we go out there and hunt the opposition it takes them off-guard and shakes their confidence. It contributed to most of our wins last year.

I think the whole team should be on notice.

We have 2 certainties to come in next week, if you don't play well you get dropped.

Hopefully we don't play like we did against Essendon where 18 players played poorly, but if everything goes to plan and the players we drop are unlucky then finally we can say that we have a little bit of depth.

I think that many on here are over sensitive about Grimes. Having said that, your defence of him is admirable and well placed. I would not be critical of Roos and the FD selecting Brayshaw and Vanders to plat this week; they were not gifted their spots: they earnt them! Whether they earned them in Casey practice games (Brayshaw) or the NAB Challenge (Vanders) is semantics. Howe is playing this weekend simply based on his performance on the training track and his past record. Similarly Vince didn't miss out because he wasn't good enough, simply because he wasn't ready for this week.

The truth is, for the first time in years, we have depth - we don't need the Magners. Admittedly, we have shallow depth compared with some Clubs but we have depth nevertheless and it will only improve when Petracca (& Trenrove?) recovers and Neale-Bullen, Stretch and others are ready to play. Next year (presumably) we will have even more depth after another inspired draft/trade period and as O. McDonald, Hunt and White develop.

Gradually however spots will emerge as Cross and Jamar eventually retire, and each year we endure the inevitable injuries to key players. It is something that Melbourne supporters are not accustomed to but will have to get used to as McCartney develops our young inductees. Good players will miss out each week, however deserving, and the coaching panel will continue to put together teams based on the opposition's strength rather than merely who is not injured (as we have had to do for the last few years).

We haven't seen the last of Grimes!

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 4

I'm already awake ready to jump on the road to make the trip, please let us win I'm sick of loosing round 1 I have not seen a round 1 win since the Troy broadbridge game against the bombers, just thinking about it sucks

If it's any consolation none of us have.

I think that many on here are over sensitive about Grimes!

My view is that if we had a first year player perform as well in preseason as Grimes has this year Demonland would be in uproar if he hadn't got a game.