THE ROAD TO ROUND 1, 2015

iv'a worn smith

The Suns have a new coach with a new game-plan and many players coming off an interrupted preseason.

I certainly don't fear them, especially at the MCG and will be disappointed if we lose this game. The Suns will evolve throughout the year into a solid team, but they'll be underdone in round 1.

Yeah just like the saints last year
  • Like 3

Or Port and Brisbane in others.

What's your point ?

We are a bit touchy today aren't we ProDee?

His point was that, just because a team has a new coach and new gameplan, doesn't mean we are either going to win or in with a chance of winning. Some teams respond well, others take time.

• Like 1

It would appear that we do have agame plan that can score quickly or at least get the ball into our forward 50.

The final stages of our practice matches and even Casey saw the hard work dissolve in the final quarter.

We have had a problem stopping a run on by oppositions for many years. When despite having some good passages we are blown away in 10 or 15 minutes of sustained play from opponents.

I hope the coaches are working on that defensive side of the game. Only older experienced players can usually do it so I hope not too many new players against a young but getting more experienced side

We are a bit touchy today aren't we ProDee?

His point was that, just because a team has a new coach and new gameplan, doesn't mean we are either going to win or in with a chance of winning. Some teams respond well, others take time.

I could sense the tone of the post, so responded in kind.

Clearly there are no guarantees, but I'm not going to let past failings from past teams define my expectations for the future.

And, of course, we're "in with a chance of winning". I'll be disappointed if we don't. The Suns are underdone and without a bevy of their better players.

I don't like it but I think Bail and/or M Jones will be in the team.

They are our elite runners and are good at playing their role.

Unfortunately that's where the value ends as the rest is pretty limited.

I think M Jones has improved his kicking this year although it remains to be seen how this stands up under pressure.

I don't think you can replace a Bail with a Brayshaw or a Michie.

I can't wait for the day when Stretch is ready.

Edit and/or

Edited by Roger Mellie

B: JETTA, DUNN, GRIMES

HB: LUMUMBA, T.MCDONALD, SALEM

C: CROSS, N.JONES, NEWTON

HF: KENT, HOGAN, KENNEDY-HARRIS

F: WATTS, FROST, GARLETT

FOLL: JAMAR, TYSON, VINEY

IC: GARLAND, BRAYSHAW, VANDENBERG

SUB: HOWE

EMERG: M.JONES

It looks like Vince is still another week away, but if he does play I think he will replace Vandenberg.

Garland to be the 3rd tall defender option.

I would be surprised if Frost didn't play forward.

We have a couple of big advantages in this game. Home ground advantage plus playing a travelling interstate team. I hope our guys are switched on. We need to atone for the weak efforts masquerading as practice in the NAB cup. I don't want relive the Brisbane game from a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Isn't this the first round 1 game in quite a while where we are the underdogs and don't have high expectations of a win?

So I'm not going to feel as bad as I did after some other round 1 games unless we get thrashed.

O'Meara and Ablett if he doesn't play. They aren't missing much else so I have no idea where he is getting his 'bevvy' of stars from.

Lynch , Ablett and O;'Meara are some pretty good players

But we might be missing Howe and VInce so yeah, its not like we will be full strength

But we might be missing Howe and VInce so yeah, its not like we will be full strength

Forgot Lynch - but if Ablett plays that's only two players. Not exactly a 'bevvy', as ProDee put it.

I'll be there hoping for a win but, realistically, expecting to be in the bar by the third quarter with all the other bitter and twisteds cursing our players and club.

I love your pre season confidence Bitter. The old stiff upper lip in the face of overwhelming adversity stuff! Love it.

My take on round 1

FB: Jetta McDonald Dunn
HB: Salem Frost Howe
C: Lumumba Jones Newton
HF: Vince Pedersen Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Watts
Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney
I/C: Cross JKH Grimes
Sub: Michie
Emergency: Gawn Brayshaw Toumpas

Looking at all the selected teams, its the first time in god knows how many years when I can look at all 22 players and not shudder a few of them being in our senior team.

Thank you Roos and co. for starting to build a real AFL list.

Plus we are missing Trengrove and Petracca, two #2 draft picks! Easy to overlook this and that fact that, fully fit, they are both capable of impacting games and rotating through our midfield. Also, losing to St. Kilda last year was assisted by our sudden depletion of, (for the first ime in years), a potentially elite forward structure with Clark and Hogan lining up alongside Dawes and Watts.

Plus we are missing Trengrove and Petracca, two #2 draft picks! Easy to overlook this and that fact that, fully fit, they are both capable of impacting games and rotating through our midfield. Also, losing to St. Kilda last year was assisted by our sudden depletion of, (for the first ime in years), a potentially elite forward structure with Clark and Hogan lining up alongside Dawes and Watts.

we are very close to full strength. Just missing one first year playter and JT who got dropped last year, and would not be automatic first 22

No excuses. we are in better shape that 80% of other teams regarding injuries

• Like 3

A 2010-2011 form of Trengove yes but not of last couple of years he has been pretty average the fact he was dropped straight away last year.

And you cant say that a first year player is straight away in our best 22 when none of us have seen him play in a AFL high intensity game. We would even know if he would have been ready or not as the reports from the pre season were that it took a while for him to adjust to the training load earlier on.