Michael Evans Delisted

reynolds46

Maybe for you but not for me. I'd say his heart wasn't in it because if it was he'd have taken the rookie spot as the majority of others have in the past.

Evans would have known he was a marginal play on the list. He would have known that no other club had any interest in him. He would have seen himself behind a bevy of younger and better players and from last year he would have known that he struggled to play Roos' game plan.

I reckon there was a good chance he was going to coast through the year and concentrate on his studies anyway - only playing for the money. When the rookie list option was put to him he just thought "you ripper, full pay to study for the year".

Good outcome for both parties.

Definitely good outcome for us. My mail is he was a very unhappy camper when given the news

As I said in my post - his retirement affirms the decision.

But the trigger of his retirement was this proposed demotion to the rookie list. That should give one pause IMO.

Nope the motivation for this decision is he didn't have faith in the MFC coaching staff and like many at Casey last year (of which several are gone) was disillusioned. Being moved to the rookie list is the trigger that makes it possible for him to get paid to walk away.

If we see guys walk to other clubs then that's a problem. If we have guys who aren't getting picked by any other clubs and still don't want to be part of the MFC then I do't think them moving to the rookie list is the real problem.

I think there are a couple of lessons here:

1. Become a club where all players are desperate to be at

2. Be accepting with FA/trading culture that every now and then we might have to wear a years contract for a lowly rated player. From a salary cap and retention point of view better to sign them up early and occasionally cut a guy, especially when they dont want to be there

Definitely good outcome for us. My mail is he was a very unhappy camper when given the news

Then it was a strange decision to quit. The number of players to have gone through this process at MFC and other clubs means it's just a list management decision.

He seems to think like RPFC and has decided to take umbrage rather than like Nev and "prove them wrong".

• Like 3

If he wanted to continue his career he would have had a redeeming chance on the rookie list. Instead he chooses to take a final years pay and retire. Goes a long way to showing how commited he was, and fair enough he may have other aspirations. For us, another branch of dead wood pruned.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3

Then it was a strange decision to quit. The number of players to have gone through this process at MFC and other clubs means it's just a list management decision.

He seems to think like RPFC and has decided to take umbrage rather than like Nev and "prove them wrong".

I think it's more smart than strange. Jetta had a great game in the last round last year. Had Rawlings on his side and minimal competition for the lock down small job (Grimes and Terlich both back flankers and no one else really). Plus Roos coming in who likes tough defensive players and a fresh slate as a new coach.

Evans had the same senior coach in place and more midfield competition in Lumumba, Stretch, Newton, Brayshaw (likely) etc.

Unless there was a change in role for him or someone like Goodwin was a huge fan of his then he would've had to improve significantly to even get back his spot. He could get fitter, stronger and play some really good Casey games. But unless he fixed his kicking that would probably limit him as well.

Also Nev was out of contract wasn't he? So to get paid he had to take the rookie deal. Evans had money as an incentive to walk away.

Don't forget that in between any interview process Dom Barry retired and they still proceeded with the move to delist him.

My theory on that is:

1. Pick 40 v pick 53, both are worth using

2. Barry was like a young draftee, sure it would've been his third year but he was a young project to be replaced by another. I don't think Barry going made any impact on needing to keep Evans for any depth reasons

3. Barry retiring means probably saving 140k (60k ish for a draftee, 200+ for a third year player set contract like Barry). Saving that money in the footy department gives them the cash to make call on Evans.

My theory on that is:

1. Pick 40 v pick 53, both are worth using

2. Barry was like a young draftee, sure it would've been his third year but he was a young project to be replaced by another. I don't think Barry going made any impact on needing to keep Evans for any depth reasons

3. Barry retiring means probably saving 140k (60k ish for a draftee, 200+ for a third year player set contract like Barry). Saving that money in the footy department gives them the cash to make call on Evans.

I referred to it more in the context the club had ample opportunity to keep Evans on the list but it picked Up Newton and then when Barry retired they still pushed ahead with delisting him. Perhaps a reason the player may have cracked it if he did.

We've got half a list full of blokes that aren't up to the level, so I won't miss a player who cannot even break into the half of blokes who aren't good enough to play AFL.

Barry, Evans, McKenzie, Hunt, Fitzpatrick, Tapscott, just keep on sweeping Roosy.

These guys aren't up to standard, they can barely get a kick in the VFL.
Salem gets dropped back to the VFL and then tears it up, whereas Blease makes a career of staying there and still couldn't get a kick.

Now these guys have got the short shift, the pressure will be on others to perform.

Out of all those blokes, Tapscott is the only player I'd of picked where we did. We weren't to know he'd look like Tarzan and play like Jane.

We've got half a list full of blokes that aren't up to the level, so I won't miss a player who cannot even break into the half of blokes who aren't good enough to play AFL.

Barry, Evans, McKenzie, Hunt, Fitzpatrick, Tapscott, just keep on sweeping Roosy.

These guys aren't up to standard, they can barely get a kick in the VFL.

Salem gets dropped back to the VFL and then tears it up, whereas Blease makes a career of staying there and still couldn't get a kick.

Now these guys have got the short shift, the pressure will be on others to perform.

Out of all those blokes, Tapscott is the only player I'd of picked where we did. We weren't to know he'd look like Tarzan and play like Jane.

A tad early to be putting a line through Hunt I would've thought, but otherwise I agree the sweep has been necessary and the list is starting to look a lot healthier as a result.

Names like McKenzie and Terlich are starting to jump out when scanning the list, as opposed to being standard fare.

• Like 1

Don't think he ever played like Jane 'Ding', he just didn't play very often and when he did he played more like Stevie Wonder, couldn't find the ball.

• Like 4

A tad early to be putting a line through Hunt I would've thought, but otherwise I agree the sweep has been necessary and the list is starting to look a lot healthier as a result.

Names like McKenzie and Terlich are starting to jump out when scanning the list, as opposed to being standard fare.

We seem to be developing a more harder edge with our back-up players and/or depth players ... rather than having far too many under performing outside types on our list.

What that can effectively mean is that those playing seniors can be pressured by more solid types at Casey - I reckon the re-signing of Terlich, Riley & Bail back in late August was quite pointed.

• Like 1

We seem to be developing a more harder edge with our back-up players and/or depth players ... rather than having far too many under performing outside types on our list.

What that can effectively mean is that those playing seniors can be pressured by more solid types at Casey - I reckon the re-signing of Terlich, Riley & Bail back in late August was quite pointed.

Good point. For all his faults, McKenzie is a proven performer at VFL level where he finds a lot of the ball. Riley the same. In that sense they will provide more pressure on those in the first team.

Good point. For all his faults, McKenzie is a proven performer at VFL level where he finds a lot of the ball. Riley the same. In that sense they will provide more pressure on those in the first team.

Yep, there's nearly always room for a McKenzie/Terlich/Riley type for a club that's on it's way up. All 3 can come in and play a role to help the team. I put Bail, Pedersen and a few others in that sort of category - can't have too many though.

Not first choice but better depth ... Barassi & Northey recruited those type of players as well. A coach knows he's going to get an honest effort from those type of back-up players when injuries hit.

Yep, there's nearly always room for a McKenzie/Terlich/Riley type for a club that's on it's way up. All 3 can come in and play a role to help the team. I put Bail, Pedersen and a few others in that sort of category - can't have too many though.

Not first choice but better depth ... Barassi & Northey recruited those type of players as well. A coach knows he's going to get an honest effort from those type of back-up players when injuries hit.

Yes I agree, that is why we have 46 on a list and not 23 or 24, Hunt could be anything and the others are good solid professionals

On Evans, he has been juggling doing a double degree at Melbourne Uni whilst playing footy, so probably looked at the situation and decided to concentrate on that instead

• Like 1

Hard one to judge, is it a shame or a blessing?

Shame as we'll be paying him out for his final contracted year whilst having to also cover a wage of another rookie and thus taking a small additional chunk out of our salary cap.

Or is his premature retirement an indication that he was never going to eventuate or make it regardless and that new place allows an opportunity for someone who might?

Either way good luck to him and whatever he decides to do in life outside of football.