AFL National Draft 2014 Pick 40

Whispering_Jack

Ed Langdon would be handy and is profiled on AFL website.

My call is still Jackson Neilson, Touk Miller, Nathan Drummond or Oscar Mcdonald... depending in availability of course.

I think Miller and McDonald go before 40 (jump on if they don’t), I’d hope for McLean, or Viojo Rainbow (probably both gone), otherwise Lonie, Drummond or Langdon are guys that I have around the mark. Lonie’s left foot is a thing of beauty and he reads the ball off hands at an extremely high level. He gets Langdon for skill, Langdon gets him for overall athleticism. I’m confident that there will be a good player on offer at 40.

Probably better that he (Evans) does. I doubt he'll make it back from the rookie list, and he could probably make better coin as a lower grade foootballer in some of the country leagues.

Or even Casey where he knows most of the players. He could even play in a Premiership team for Casey if he jumps on the bandwagon this year and he certainly would remain under the eye of the MFC if he stars.

IMO we keep McKenzie now as the back up run with player ( this seems to be the spot Barry was being groomed for) and delist Evans and pay out

Evans will be kept on the PL now I believe. The difference between ND53 and RD2 is about 15 live selections, each getting progressively more prospective in potential talent.

I don't see a great need to delist a contracted player now that Barry has retired.

• Like 5

IMO we keep McKenzie now as the back up run with player ( this seems to be the spot Barry was being groomed for) and delist Evans and pay out

Not sure about Dom being groomed as a run with player but agree with the rest.

Evans unfortunately is probably not in our long term plans and pick 53 is there to try and find someone who might be. It should be used rather than keeping a player who probably knows he won't be at the club the following year.

Delisting a contracted player such as Evans with one year remaining on the contract, will give us the opportunity to select another player in this years draft, but ................................. it also ties the club to that player for another 2 years!!! Now if that selection is a speculative pick 53, with as much chance of failure than of success, then wouldn't the club be better served keeping Evans/pursuing a rookie – which would us to can revisit either next year.

Also with an emphasis on developing a strong culture, breaking contracts is not the right way about it.

Note: if we have identified someone who we believe is worth the risk (better than a speculative pick) then with 51 picks preceding it there is every chance that player will no longer be available and we are then left with plan B (speculative pick).

Maybe Evans could be this year’s Jetta (they don’t have to end up on the Rookie list, to get a wake up call) or Pederson!

• Like 1

Bit of an anomaly with pick 40. It has an unusually high (excellent) success rate in terms of games played by draftees picked at 40. Of any pick beyond pick 14 it averages the most games played per pick (90).

Disappointed Barry is gone, but pleased pick 40 is back in play.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 1

Bit of an anomaly with pick 40. It has an unusually high excellent success rate in terms of games played by draftees picked at 40. Of any pick beyond pick 14 it averages the most games played per pick (90).

Disappointed Barry is gone, but pleased pick 40 is back in play.

I have 2 theories:

1. It's where the slider finally gets taken. Player x is available at pick 40, we have to take them

OR

2. It's where the recruiters take the best footballer instead of all the athletic prospects who have jumped above them.

Either way it's still a statistical anomaly I just thought there might be something behind it.

The good thing about pick 40, which is actually pick 36, is that we hopefully get to take someone who slips through from the 15-25 bracket. Given how the phantom draft judges are rating the draft and assuming we don't take Lever at 3, we can take whichever tallish defender option like McDonald, Ramsay, Vickers-Willis, Keitel, D.Howe that slides through.

Then when it comes to the rookie draft we still have two spots left for Tappy and Tyler.

The AFL's most successful club over the past five decades and the one with the strongest football culture cuts a contracted player - Hawks cut Grimley, but set to re-draft him as a rookie.

Perhaps now some of our supporters will stop moaning and agonising about whether we should or we should not follow suit where it's in the interests of the club and especially so when it's dine professionally and doesn't cut across the player's interests.

• Like 3

The AFL's most successful club over the past five decades and the one with the strongest football culture cuts a contracted player - Hawks cut Grimley, but set to re-draft him as a rookie.

Perhaps now some of our supporters will stop moaning and agonising about whether we should or we should not follow suit where it's in the interests of the club and especially so when it's dine professionally and doesn't cut across the player's interests.

I don't think there has been moaning and agonising over the paying out and rookie-ing of players - just posters pointing out why the club might not consider it worthwhile and what the other options are.

Hawthorn, Port, Bulldogs, Essendon, Gold Coast and St Kilda off the top off my head. (Grimley, Logan, Pearce, Aylett, Broughton, Schneider).

I think it can now be called an established practice.

Hawthorn, Port, Bulldogs, Essendon, Gold Coast and St Kilda off the top off my head. (Grimley, Logan, Pearce, Aylett, Broughton, Schneider).

I think it can now be called an established practice.

Should be called "the Jetta move".

Should be called "the Jetta move".

Well, IF it had the same effect on Evans and the same outcome as it did with Jetta it would be a win / win / win result.

I would have cut McKenzie and Evans weeks ago

Assuming JT is placed on the long term injury list, and we rookie list Tapscott, then I assume we can simply elevate Tapscott virtually immediately such that he is effectively on the senior list for much of the year.

Am I right in thinking this?

Yes.