Stop The Jack Watts Trade Now!!!

Tex

OK. There's a rumour going around that we're shopping Jack Watts around to Adelaide and Gold Coast but what's the trade deal we're supposed to be protesting about?

Didn't Paul Roos say a little while ago that every player is potentially tradeable?

Shouldn't we at least wait until we know if and what deal we're supposed to be looking at with regard to a Watts transfer before we start burning effigies of the coach and his recruiting staff?

• Like 2

There are shades of grey in this world. If perceived loyalty (did he stay or did he go?) were the only criteria involved here then yes, I wouldn't be for trading Jack. I might also mention that one Jack W was on the Footy Show as late as last year publicly musing whether he would stay at the club at all so let's not pretend that he was always going to stay no matter what. I am going to explain my logic behind trading Watts via two criteria: output/opportunity and unfair burdens placed on the player by the club.

Let's start with the first criteria that I judge this on: output and opportunity.

I will finish with this proposal: say that Jack T does get back in time for round 1 next year after a full preseason (which sounds unlikely at this stage) and plays 22 underwhelming games. Would I be up for trading Trenners still? I would say yes as the first criteria I considered this trade on was fulfilled (opportunity and output). However, without that criteria to measure him on and when coupled up with the second criteria, it would seem poor form to trade Jack T and disloyal as he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do.

If Trengove has another year of 22 underwhelming games ( will he get that many?), you won't have to worry about trading him. He will be OOC and will be worth zip in the open market and potentially finished at AFL.

There are some sage posters around that have been stating if Trenners is being offered 3 years at RFC, his manager would be nuts not directing his client to take the opportunity. From an MFC perspective there is significant reason to grasp the opportunity now for the best interests of the Club and indeed duly respecting and repaying the players loyalty.

While I agree that both players have suffered some mismanagement at MFC (appointing Trenners captain was a debacle), I don't think we owe it to either player to keep them on the list against either clubs interest or the players interest.

For mine regardless of where they were taken in the respective drafts, both players have significant limitations at the top level and will struggle to make it based on what I have seen. The club would be wise to get value now. If they wait another 12 months with either and we get a similar output to what we have seen then they are cooked at AFL.

• Like 1

Yes and no. If what goes on off the field is in order, it is easier to hold the players accountable. It's not surprising that the myriad of off field disasters we have had since 2008 onwards has coincided with some of the worst football I have had the displeasure of watching.

That's not to say we are cruising towards a flag now but it is refreshing that we can mostly focus on the actual on field product now instead of talking about botched jokes in the vault, 500,000 dollar home loans, sponsorship deals given to cowboy capitalist who spend too much time on social media and designer blazers for the players.

Yes, in no way i am saying it is done....It is getting done...But i do believe good people can get this club firing in 1-2 years...it should not take decades.

We have recruited badly...I remember Round 2 2011, that was the first time i seriously thought "uh oh..."

That second Quarter against Hawthorn we kicked goals with flashy speed...moved the ball like a pinball machine....After Half Time Hawthorn used strength to merely move us out of the way...

All of our recruits were fast flashy & slight in comparison to top sides..

I am sure our previous CEO thought the game was going to move in a certain direction, that it just didn't.

Neville Jetta may be the only player from a whole crop to survive...because he can lay a solid tackle...

I have it on good authority that the MFC are shopping Jack Watts around, with Adelaide and Gold Coast the leading contenders.

I cannot believe we are seriously considering trading Jack.

If the MFC could properly develop Jack he will be an out and out A Grader.

Jack needs to be locked inside a gym for the whole of pre-season and force feed to build his frame.

The only thing Jack needs to be a gun is muscle and strength.

He has elite skills and elite vision.

He needs to be up around the 98 kg mark and he will dominate games as a key mobile forward.

I also have it on good authority that he doesn't want to be traded and that he wants to stay a Demon, unlike others.

As such we need to keep players that actually want to stay at the club, as this may prove difficult moving forward.

I will be furious if we trade Jack against his will when it's been our fault that we haven't been able to properly develop him to his optimum.

I will also be [censored]. 4Fsakes can't we develop him ourselves. Put him in the gym. I am rapidly becoming disenchanted am might take a break from footy if we do indeed trade Trenners & Watts.

I think you are right in one way WYL. We need to remember our reason for being and that will always be playing football and with that you are 100% spot on. Once that fundamental is achieved, then we can look at growing the club and getting involved in 'extra curricular' activities. We shouldn't put the cart before the horse.
I remember reading an article by Martin Flanagan about a disgruntled Essendon member who stood up at their annual general meeting and said Essendon was a great club when it had principles and reached out to the community (particularly the indigenous community).
To be great, you have to be good first. To be good, we at least need to have a watchable on-field product.To be great, we need to be like the Hawthorns of this world who, while having a strong focus on winning flags and turning a profit, have invested in communities and people (i.e. the South East suburbs and Tasmania).
That being said, we don't want to [censored] our money away on vanity projects first and then have nothing to spend on actual football.

id be shocked if Watts is not traded

He goes against everything that Paul Roos stands for and looks for in a player

he has zero intensity, zero heart, and gets outmarked and pushed around by people half his size

Hes the last bloke youd wanna play beside

• Like 4

I will also be [censored]. 4Fsakes can't we develop him ourselves. Put him in the gym. I am rapidly becoming disenchanted am might take a break from footy if we do indeed trade Trenners & Watts.

Hit the gym now?? Watts he been doing the last 6 years?!?!

• Like 2

I'm glad if we get some desperados to replace the complacent.

I think you are right in one way WYL. We need to remember our reason for being and that will always be playing football and with that you are 100% spot on. Once that fundamental is achieved, then we can look at growing the club and getting involved in 'extra curricular' activities. We shouldn't put the cart before the horse.

I remember reading an article by Martin Flanagan about a disgruntled Essendon member who stood up at their annual general meeting and said Essendon was a great club when it had principles and reached out to the community (particularly the indigenous community).

To be great, you have to be good first. To be good, we at least need to have a watchable on-field product.To be great, we need to be like the Hawthorns of this world who, while having a strong focus on winning flags and turning a profit, have invested in communities and people (i.e. the South East suburbs and Tasmania).

That being said, we don't want to [censored] our money away on vanity projects first and then have nothing to spend on actual football.

Agree Colin...But for anyone to take notice of a footballl team No. 1 is to be a winning Culture

No. 2 is to make the crowd want to come back again and again....Like a good restaurant. Without good food you are wasting time...

This is why i do not understand people eating McDonalds!! Oh Drugs, i forgot!!

Edited by why you little

He is a top clubman from all reports.

Such a haemoroid on the feild that i am thinking nr

Last year to get big.

Edited by Biffen

id be shocked if Watts is not traded

He goes against everything that Paul Roos stands for and looks for in a player

he has zero intensity, zero heart, and gets outmarked and pushed around by people half his size

Hes the last bloke youd wanna play beside

Yep agree with everything you say.

The only caveat I have, and Satyr is best to know the answer to this, is that I hope our coaches have implored him to do additional tackling training in the past and got no where with him.

I also hope that the club has made him do regular boxing sessions as he plays as if he's [censored] scared.

Assuming they have already gone down those obvious paths with him, then I have no problem with his exit, because you can't really teach desire and aggression - you can only try to overcome a players fears.

I also hope for Jack's sake that he goes to a non-football playing state like Qld or NSW, so that he can not face the obsessive interest that has followed his path at Melbourne.

It will also allow him to finally rid himself of the Nic Natanui comparisons.

Trading him really is a win/win for everybody - he may finally get a chance to show his undoubted talent and given we have drafted Harry O and Garlett we don't need his pace anymore - although he rarely used it.

An early second rounder would be a bonus for him now.

• Like 3

The only caveat I have, and Satyr is best to know the answer to this, is that I hope our coaches have implored him to do additional tackling training in the past and got no where with him.

I also hope that the club has made him do regular boxing sessions as he plays as if he's [censored] scared.

Assuming they have already gone down those obvious paths with him, then I have no problem with his exit, because you can't really teach desire and aggression - you can only try to overcome a players fears.

I also hope for Jack's sake that he goes to a non-football playing state like Qld or NSW, so that he can not face the obsessive interest that has followed his path at Melbourne.

Trading him really is a win/win for everybody - he may finally get a chance to show his undoubted talent and given we have drafted Harry O and Garlett we don't need his pace anymore - although he rarely used it.

spot on

Roos' ego backed himself to turn Watts into an A-Grade midfielder. He looked at our list of early draft picks and said, "hmmm, these boys just need guidance with a proper coach to realise their full potential."

Then this year happened. Roos had a rude reality check of what he was actually dealing with. He doesn't work in the midfield because he jogs instead of runs. He doesn't work in the forward line because his leads are terrible and he only scores when he happens to be in the right place at the right time. He doesn't work in the back line because he's terrified of body contact (a basketballer at heart).

Take out the fact he was pick one and judge him purely on his efforts, like he were any other footballer. If Roos can't awaken this supposed 'deep, untapped talent', nobody can.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Would be very annoyed if the rumoured Trengove deal was to occur, but as for Watts think it best for both parties.

Yes Jack has the potential to be an "A" grader, but I can't see any coach being able to turn him around and unfortunately for Jack - (a lovely guy who is brilliant with fans) - Dr Chan was murdered by some scum on the streets of Sydney too long ago to help.

Well I'm sorry that Colin Flaubert likes this. It is in unbelievably bad taste and should never have been posted.

• Like 3

Well I'm sorry that Colin Flaubert likes this. It is in unbelievably bad taste and should never have been posted.

I thought the Victor Chan ref was clever and apt.

Watts has everything that would make him a star of the game except for heart, or balls, or whatever you want to call it.

Bad taste or not, it is what it is, and pretending it is anything else isn't doing us or him any favours.

I have this dream that one day we will recruit elite talent and develop it ourselves.

In Roos & Co we have to trust.

Hogan, Viney & Salem will be the first. They actually have some real hunger for a contest & to improve.

• Like 1

Another favorite past time of Demonland besides rumour,innuendo and sniping: moral grandstanding.

I didn't find the joke that funny by the way but I do agree with RGRS sentiment about Jack.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

As far as the perennial Nic Natanui comparisons go, both players boasted very similar positions in their respective Club's B&F counts!