Jack Trengove re-injures his navicular (2014) - trade deal off

Wiseblood

Found this on bigfooty..

Is it at all likely we are working behind the scenes with GWS to secure a Dom Tyson type deal? Has anyone of any significance to Collingwood or Melbourne even mentioned Dayne Beams in regards to this?

I did post on here a day or so after the Dees b&f that I had a good chat with Dom Tyson. He fairly much assured me the Dees will be picking up Frost(which he is very good mates with). This was weeks before trade week. He also told me to watch this space in regards to another GWS player(midfield gun - his words, not mine) that we are very much into and trying to get to the club. He did say he is mates with Greene and would love to have him at the club, but didn't say whether he was the player in question. I'm not so sure on this Beams rumour. The Dom Tyson deal came out of nowhere last year, so there is a fair chance a similar deal may be happening.

Interesting I wonder if pick 12 could be packaging up with a pick 3 or 2 for maybe a Dylan Shiel type or Trelor?

• Like 9

The difference with Thompson was we got to see him quietly develop and improve in his short tenure. That injury just turned out to be hiccup. Trengove came with a lot hype and seemed to play to it in his first season. Since then, nothing much.

Edited by america de cali

We'll if it's certain that Saints will take McCartin with 1, all of a sudden pick 2s looking pretty good.

That's the only reason I can see them trading with us, to get petracca, so it would have to be 2 and 12 for Sheil or Treloar

Found this on bigfooty..

Is it at all likely we are working behind the scenes with GWS to secure a Dom Tyson type deal? Has anyone of any significance to Collingwood or Melbourne even mentioned Dayne Beams in regards to this?

I did post on here a day or so after the Dees b&f that I had a good chat with Dom Tyson. He fairly much assured me the Dees will be picking up Frost(which he is very good mates with). This was weeks before trade week. He also told me to watch this space in regards to another GWS player(midfield gun - his words, not mine) that we are very much into and trying to get to the club. He did say he is mates with Greene and would love to have him at the club, but didn't say whether he was the player in question. I'm not so sure on this Beams rumour. The Dom Tyson deal came out of nowhere last year, so there is a fair chance a similar deal may be happening.

Interesting I wonder if pick 12 could be packaging up with a pick 3 or 2 for maybe a Dylan Shiel type or Trelor?

Im not sure where the Beams ideas come from either. Unless someones spiking the punch, or sowing seeds sts

Your posting is indeed interesting. Makes a lot more sense ( in a fashion )

Ive noticed a few posters here (and some media people) say that Trengove had a great debut season and then fell away

Well his 2nd season was a lot better than his debut season,l so either people have bad memories or are just lazy and copy whats written in the paper or on twitter

in his 2nd season he averaged all career highs, with 20.4 touches, 5.3 tackles, 13 goals 11 behinds, and was looking like he was set for stardom

He then went backwards in 2012, which was either because of the burden of captaincy, a mystery foot ailment or the arrival of Neeld or all of the above

But please think twice before saying he had a great first year then did nothing, cos its just wrong. His 2nd season was his best by far.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 8

If MFC is considering trading Jack for purely the pick upgrade, with the intention on using pick 12 at the draft, that will do it for me. Period. I can't support that thinking, and I guess my old school thinking about loyalty will too me over the edge.

If it turns out to be part of a bigger picture, I can understand that drastic measures may be required, and begrudgingly I could learn to live with it.

I still hope we keep Jack. He's a good bloke, played bloody well season #1, and I really hope gets back to that level in 2015 wearing red and blue (only).

• Like 3

I feel compelled to come in on this. I like Jack. As many have stated he has shown a love for MFC. He has struggled with injury but has maintained a positive, forward thinking attitude. Right now other clubs are interested in him. He is our best Trade-bait! This is what I want the club to do.... Play very, very hard-ball on all deals related to JT. If they want him, and if the offerings allow us to pitch for a star from another team... still play extreme hard-ball. In other words, ONLY LET JACK GO IF IT IS AN OFFER TOO GOOD TO REFUSE! ... At the moment I haven't seen that offer in print, here or anywhere else. JT is a quality person from a quality family... So much more integrity than at least two birds that have flown in recent weeks. IT BETTER BE THE MOTHER OF ALL OFFERS! Otherwise, step back, take a breath and secure Trengove's services for a few more years to give him time to repay our LOYALTY!!!!!!!

• Like 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.' Ten years ago was the last time Melbourne traded an up and coming midfielder for pick 12. Scott Thompson went on to become one of the elite midfielders of the last decade winning All Australian selection, club best and fairest and playing over 220 games for Adelaide so far. I find the way Trengove plays is very similar in style to a young Scott Thompson except that Jack is more skilful and his initial games for Melbourne were far more impressive. He also has far better leadership qualities and would have a far more positive impact on other players at the club. It is interesting that Thompsons last year at Melbourne was ended by a foot injury

Melbourne did at least get Brent Moloney out of the deal by trading pick12 to Geelong.

Geelong then traded it to Richmond gaining a former number 2 pick Brad Ottens who played a major part in them subsequently winning 3 premierships, while Richmond drafted Danny Meyer with pick 12 who played 17 very ordinary games before being delisted.

Richmond appears to have learnt from the past while if Melbourne goes ahead with this trade it may be remembered as one of the worst trades of all time.

Rubbish Thompson was a gun in his final year at Melbourne. We were on top of the ladder with him in the side as an inside midfielder, once he got injured we fell away dramatically. Trengove has been useless and can't get an inside ball to save himself.

4 Quarter running actually & to excert pressure on opponents rather than be always under pressure.

Why is his name up?

It's on the club website...

FMD i give up. oh i wonder why Trengoves name is up and not Jordies or Watts'. Maybe just maybe the Tigers and Crows see what he can do

Wyl you really don't get it do you every player on our list can run for 4 quarters. What they struggle with is running both ways over the 4 quarters not just running forward when we have the ball. Trengoves endurance is not in question and he can run both ways as he did during his first two years. Having that trait and being able to apply forward pressure and limit an opponents impact is excerting pressure or don't you understand that

So he can't run for four quarters can't kick and is slow WTF are the Tigers and Crows thinking

Without knowledge of the details of Trengove's foot it is hard to give a strong view on the trade. IMO it is a reasonable trade if we don't think he can get his zip back.

In making the decision we also need to take into account our midfield mix, which will be slow as it is likely to include N Jones, Tyson, Viney, Cross and probably Brayshaw.

We also need to consider the value of #23 and #12.

2013 #12 Lennon, #23 Crouch

2012 #12 Jaksch, #23 Paparone

2011 #12 Docherty, #23 Newman

2010 #12 Cook, #23 Guthrie

2009 #12 Lucas, #23 Stevens

2008 #12 Johnson, #23 Zaharakis

2007 #12 Rioli, #23 Pears

2006 #12 Frawley, #23 Stewart

2005 #12 Jones, #23 Cook

you do understand its us that is giving up pick 23 in this deal

• Like 1

Happy to trade if the end result makes us a better team. Though some on here are being disrepectful to a 'very' loyal young player. How the hell does anybody know how good he will be when/if he gets over his injuries?

Risk vs Reward on both sides of the coin. Only time and a trade or lack thereof will tell.

It's up because we and obviously Richmond and Adelaide think he is more valuable than you do.

Gotta give to get.

You may well be right. But if The MFC really valued his talents he would have an important role in Roos' plans.

I actually think Jack put his career on the line playing 2013 injured. The whole thing was insane and unproffessional on all fronts.

And the end result is that he is seen as surplas to the core 22..

As much as I like Trengove and Watts, I have no problem with trading them and pick 23 for pick12 and their 2nd 3rd round picks.

I would then trade picks 2,12 and the second rounder for Shiel or Treloar, Frost and a guarantee they won't select Brayshaw.

Finally we can use the 3rd rounder for either Lyons, one of the Hawks surplus ruckmen, or we can just use the pick in the draft.

FMD i give up. oh i wonder why Trengoves name is up and not Jordies or Watts'. Maybe just maybe the Tigers and Crows see what he can do

Wyl you really don't get it do you every player on our list can run for 4 quarters. What they struggle with is running both ways over the 4 quarters not just running forward when we have the ball. Trengoves endurance is not in question and he can run both ways as he did during his first two years. Having that trait and being able to apply forward pressure and limit an opponents impact is excerting pressure or don't you understand that

So he can't run for four quarters can't kick and is slow WTF are the Tigers and Crows thinking

look at some of the past games. Whenever Trengove had the ball he was rushed because he didn't have any acceleration to break free.

It beats me

look at some of the past games. Whenever Trengove had the ball he was rushed because he didn't have any acceleration to break free.

now your almost getting somewhere. It's not so much the ball carrier it's a lot to do with our lack of run and spread and forcing the player with the ball to hold on to long with the end result being caught with the ball or a hurried kick and turnover. Blease has the acceleration as does Kent they can break free but again without run and spread creating options the end result was generally the same

Roos has started to address this but it will take time.

• Like 2

If MFC is considering trading Jack for purely the pick upgrade, with the intention on using pick 12 at the draft, that will do it for me. Period. I can't support that thinking, and I guess my old school thinking about loyalty will too me over the edge.

If it turns out to be part of a bigger picture, I can understand that drastic measures may be required, and begrudgingly I could learn to live with it.

I still hope we keep Jack. He's a good bloke, played bloody well season #1, and I really hope gets back to that level in 2015 wearing red and blue (only).

What he said.

Jack Trengove WAS LOYAL TO MFC IN OUR DARKEST DAYS.

MFC MUST show him the same respect.

Get some ba@#lls and tell Richmond to "firetruck" off.

So bloody what, Loyalty is a transient thing! If Norm Smith was around you could ask him?? ! Was appointed captain when clearly not up to it ! Not that was his fault and now after some very average seasons we have a chance to move another high draft pick that clearly hasn't produced, a player that is SLOW and who may have questionable injury concerns! Grow some balls MFC this is a very very good deal! Time to trade!

Edited by picket fence

If Saints take McCartin then I can see us giving GWS picks 2 or 3 packaged with 12 for a Shiel type. That way they get a gun midfielder in Petracca to help spread the age of their list, but only on the condition they don't take Brayshaw.

Edited by Lamashtu

now your almost getting somewhere. It's not so much the ball carrier it's a lot to do with our lack of run and spread and forcing the player with the ball to hold on to long with the end result being caught with the ball or a hurried kick and turnover. Blease has the acceleration as does Kent they can break free but again without run and spread creating options the end result was generally the same

Roos has started to address this but it will take time.

Don't disagree with that. But Trengove also has to have the ability to spread as well.

This is the area he has struggled since 2012.

The guy is not a tank. He has the physique for speed but it is not there.

If it was then this deal would not be up for discussion

If Saints take McCartin then I can see us giving GWS picks 2 or 3 packaged with 12 for a Shiel type. That way they get a gun midfielder in Petracca to help spread the age of their list, but only on the condition they don't take Brayshaw.

2 and 12 is way too much for Shiel or Treloar

But I think theyd add Sam Frost into a deal like that anyway

• Like 2

Just the whole idea of Trengove playing in the same team as Jack Reiwoldt and Tyrone Vickery irks me.

So bloody what, Loyalty is a transient thing! If Norm Smith was around you could ask him?? !

yeah, it's called "The Norm Smith Curse".