Bulldogs want pick 2 or 3

What

I agree, we shoulda coulda got him then for nothing but we didn't, nor did any other club.

I'm just asking the question is Greenwood and 15 (and say maybe a swap of Norths 2nd for or our 3rd for instance) worth Pick 3?

I don't believe I said we should trade Greenwood for Pick 3.

Definitely a question worth asking. I don't think North would part with Greenwood for an early 2nd rounder only.

But it gives North either Petracca or Brayshaw (whichever one we don't pick at #2, and providing GWS don't get #1) on a plate.

Hate to do that for North!

I just don't think the dogs have the type of player to make this deal worthwhile for us. Hrovat is a solid player (and a good parade college boy) but his type of player are available later in the draft. Stringer would be nice but they seem pretty happy to offer us up fringe players

If people are keen on a pick downgrade plus a player , how about a Richmond? Conca or vlastuin + 12 for 3 . Carlton would be in the market for a kpf but like the dogs I don't see any players in the right mould.

• Like 1

McCartin is being touted as a once in 10 year forward. The Dogs are desperate to get him. Maybe even the Saints.

We have 2 and 3 and maybe the best we will get for years to come, we hope.

Most clubs rate Petracca as something special.

We will get Brayshaw who may be as good as Petracca.

As I have said I am warming to to get 2 of the three and Stretch and build our club on them and the improvement on guys we already have. Salem, Toumpas, Hogan, Kent, JKH, Trengove, King, Hunt, McDonald, Harmes and maybe Barry and even Watts and others, have room for improvement.

McCartin and Hogan could set us up for the next 10 years like Buddy and Roughy did for the Hawks. A few trades and more draft picks will improve the side with the likes of Frost, Merrett, Lumumba etc.

I don't want to throw away this chance, unless we get a top player for the loss of either of these 2 picks. I agreed with the Tyson/Salem deal but I am worried this year that no one is talking a Tyson and we actually rated Salem at 3, don't see that happening this year.

• Like 9

Don't know of this has been mentioned before, but a mad Dogs supporter mate of mine said that the WB forums have been throwing up Jason Tutt and Pick 6 for our pick 2/3...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/jason-tutt

Don't know of this has been mentioned before, but a mad Dogs supporter mate of mine said that the WB forums have been throwing up Jason Tutt and Pick 6 for our pick 2/3...

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/jason-tutt

I would want another player as well.

Tutt nominated Carlton as his team of choice.

There you go, I didnt even know he'd requested a trade.

I'd trade them pick 3 for pick 6 and a gun player like stringer or McCrae.. And give them a guarratee we would pass on McCartin at pick 2 as we would be going for Petracca or Brayshaw and they would have to return the favour in not taking what we want in the draft..

Jake Stringer and Jackson Macrae were taken with picks four and five at the 2012 AFL National Draft and both have moved way ahead of our choice at pick three (Jimmy Toumpas) which means that it would be madness on the part of the Bulldogs to trade either of them out simply to improve draft position by a few places.

However, the success of that pair probably strengthens Redlegs view about not parting with picks two and three unless a very strong trade comes along.

If we are to deal with the Bullies, I would like to see a player of much better quality than Tutt and there's also the possibility of them throwing in a draft pick as well, especially now that they look like picking up a compensatory pick for losing Shaun Higgins.

Incidentally, they are looking at getting pick 26 for Higgins which may well be the case but it surely demonstrates their hypocrisy in suggesting Frawley wasn't worth pick three. What did they think he was worth? Pick 23 which is the pick after our second round selection?

• Like 5

Both Macrae and Stringer really blossomed this year. Macrae was given a lesson by McCartney and dropped IIRC for not playing a defensive role when required of him even though he had it on a string. He is showing what Jimmy Toumpas was envisaged to be.

There's no way they will place Stringer up for trade when they're clearly chasing KPF's, it would be counterintuitive.

Pick 2 and Blease for Pick 6 and Macrae.

Edited by McQueen

Jake Stringer and Jackson Macrae were taken with picks four and five at the 2012 AFL National Draft and both have moved way ahead of our choice at pick three (Jimmy Toumpas) which means that it would be madness on the part of the Bulldogs to trade either of them out simply to improve draft position by a few places.

However, the success of that pair probably strengthens Redlegs view about not parting with picks two and three unless a very strong trade comes along.

If we are to deal with the Bullies, I would like to see a player of much better quality than Tutt and there's also the possibility of them throwing in a draft pick as well, especially now that they look like picking up a compensatory pick for losing Shaun Higgins.

Incidentally, they are looking at getting pick 26 for Higgins which may well be the case but it surely demonstrates their hypocrisy in suggesting Frawley wasn't worth pick three. What did they think he was worth? Pick 23 which is the pick after our second round selection?

Correction: Macrae & Stringer at 5 & 6; Toumpas selected at pick 4.

Common mistake for some reason.

Your point still stands.

• Like 1

And if Shifter's reported combine conversation with deeko is to be believed, where it was said by Sheehan that picks 4-20 are pretty even, it would indicate the top 3 are a class above.

And subsequently, our picks 2 & 3 will be worth significantly more than a pick 6.

How much more?

Who knows.

I think the Bulldogs might determine that with their readiness to trade and what they will offer us.

Also depends on who your top 3 are.

I'd guess Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin.

I don't have a lot of time for Wright at that stage of the draft.

• Like 1

Both Macrae and Stringer really blossomed this year. Macrae was given a lesson by McCartney and dropped IIRC for not playing a defensive role when required of him even though he had it on a string. He is showing what Jimmy Toumpas was envisaged to be.

There's no way they will place Stringer up for trade when they're clearly chasing KPF's, it would be counterintuitive.

Pick 2 and Blease for Pick 6 and Macrae.

That's 2 top 10 picks for a speculative pick of a key forward. You wouldn't trade 6 and Macrae for anything but a real deal key forward. The cats gave up less when they got Brad Ottens as the missing link in their side. The dogs are doing everything they can to be Cats 2.0. Expect them to wait if they can't find a value trade.

If we got someone like Hrovat it would be a nice deal for us. Macrae is ridiculous.

• Like 1

McCartin is being touted as a once in 10 year forward. The Dogs are desperate to get him. Maybe even the Saints.

As I have said I am warming to to get 2 of the three and Stretch and build our club on them and the improvement on guys we already have. Salem, Toumpas, Hogan, Kent, JKH, Trengove, King, Hunt, McDonald, Harmes and maybe Barry and even Watts and others, have room for improvement.

McCartin and Hogan could set us up for the next 10 years like Buddy and Roughy did for the Hawks. A few trades and more draft picks will improve the side with the likes of Frost, Merrett, Lumumba etc.

I don't want to throw away this chance, unless we get a top player for the loss of either of these 2 picks. I agreed with the Tyson/Salem deal but I am worried this year that no one is talking a Tyson and we actually rated Salem at 3, don't see that happening this year.

As rpfc said, we had no idea about the Tyson trade until essentially it happened. I agree with the rest of this though, RL. It is tempting to go young and if Roos and co decide that's the way, then I'll be happy. We hold the cards as you say, but I still think we'll look to trade both picks.

McCartin looks decidedly not one in 10 years for me. The diabetes, the tuck shop skinfolds and all at 193cm without a big leap. He's fast and attacks the ball. Maybe he's a bit of an old school forward who gets it done on the lead and with one on one nous. But give me the big units in Boyd and Patton, the power of Hogan or brilliance of Cameron. There's a bit too much Fev in McCartin for my liking (in terms of playing style).

I agree no one is talking a Tyson. But then again no one was talking Tyson this time last year. It was Selwood, Shuey, Rockliff, Shiel. So I'm patient. We wont get much from the dogs though so it's probably best to play the long game there and avoid the trade down. That last bit is key though, who exactly will we get with the draft pick? The more I look at the draft candidates and phantom drafts I can't find the guy I really like. There's plenty of guys I like in the second round, but it's all talls from 3-8 in most Mock Drafts besides the likes of Laverde and Pickett who I'm not that keen on. Lots of other mids or flankers who are worth picks in the 20's.

Instead of trade pick 3 for pick 6 plus something maybe we trade it for pick 20, 26, 40, 60 etc and a player rated in the top 20's as well. If you're going to drop down maybe drop down a long way and get a raft of assets. Brisbane loaded right up in the 20's last year and got Lewis Taylor, McStay, Gardner etc. The more picks you have the better maybe. Who knows. It would be gutsy. Moving from 3 to 6 for a little something seems a pretty safe thing to do for not much benefit.

Really good post.

Not sure I'd be completely stoked if this is how it ultimately pans out, although you make a compelling case for it.

Yeah, really mediocre.

A 2nd year player that can get 30 disposals in a 10 goal loss to Sydney is a real spud.

We'd be creaming our jocks if we had a 2nd year player produce that sort of game against a top side.

The only worry with Hrovat is that he's 174cm and a footballer rather than a Roos gut-runner. Not sure Viney, Toumpas, Stretch and Hrovat could all play together given the importance of big bodies in today's rolling maul.

Roos has already said that he admires Freos big tall mids. He won't go for a 174cm mediocre midfielder.

• Like 3

Roos has already said that he admires Freos big tall mids. He won't go for a 174cm mediocre midfielder.

JKH? Ben McGlynn? Ballantyne and Lachie Neale. There's room for little blokes in a Roos style game plan.

Give me a big guy over a little guy in centre square clearances sure. Also give me at least a couple of tall flankers and wingers as you can then kick to them more one on one.

We need a replacement for Cross. I like the height range that Tyson, Cross, Vince (all can mark and be solid bodies) then Jones and Viney give us as inside mids. Watts, Lumumba on the wings. There's height and it's a great thing to have.

But we can have JKH, Viney and Hrovat in the same side. Especially if the rest of our flankers are guys like Salem and Kent who can take marks.

Hawthorn did well with Cyril, Mitchell and Puopolo. A small defensive forward, a small inside mid and a small dangerous half forward.

I actually think the best opportunity for Melbourne is if St Kilda trade directly with the Western Bulldogs

St Kilda give up pick 1 and 2nd round pick

Western Bulldogs trade one of the aforementioned young guns plus pick 6

Then we have the opportunity to pick up Petracca who is meant to be something special and still gives us the opportunity to trade out pick 3 to a team looking a tall forward (Carlton, Fremantle etc).

Brayshaw is good but Petracca is meant to be the no.1 midfielder in the draft. Even if we don't trade out pick three and take Brayshaw I think that is more of a win than not getting Petracca.

Greenwood has had one good season, was nearly on the scrapheap a year ago. He's saved his career but is he really worth pick 3? I wouldn't have thought so.

I agree, plus the bloke isn't exactly what you would call an elite kick either. Only average at the best of times.

I actually think the best opportunity for Melbourne is if St Kilda trade directly with the Western Bulldogs

St Kilda give up pick 1 and 2nd round pick

Western Bulldogs trade one of the aforementioned young guns plus pick 6

Then we have the opportunity to pick up Petracca who is meant to be something special and still gives us the opportunity to trade out pick 3 to a team looking a tall forward (Carlton, Fremantle etc).

Brayshaw is good but Petracca is meant to be the no.1 midfielder in the draft. Even if we don't trade out pick three and take Brayshaw I think that is more of a win than not getting Petracca.

We don't get Petracca if Saints trade the pick to GWS. That is who they want.