• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

I don't know if we are in the running or not but I'm certainly not interested in paying overs for him.

There are "overs" and there are "overs".

Get Dangerfield in and you give yourself a legitimate chance of a premiership within 3 years.

Whilst this topic seems to be 'hot', I would like to say that I can't quite understand why posters would be against paying 'overs' to one of the star midfielders of this competition. I can't quite understand the logic.

I mean, am I stating the bleeding obvious in saying that landing a player like Dangerfield would fast track the development of our younger and developing mids, have an influence in fast tracking us up the ladder and into finals which in turn would have a direct result on young budding stars like Hogan wanting to stay at the club?

I can't see an argument against paying a player like him 'overs'. Unless of course it means we won't have enough money to offer Hogan for his next contract. Obviously the club wouldn't allow that to happen.

I also doubt that many if any of the players on our list would be against the club paying big dollars to get a player like Damgerfield to our club.

They've been starved of success for so long, I'm sure they'd welcome any him with open arms regardless of the amount.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 7

He's in the best three midfielders in the competition with Ablett and Fyfe, is middle-aged as a footballer and can play as a clearance machine or provide pace from the outside - which we need urgently still.

I still have doubts about why he'd want to come to Melbourne, unless he really thinks Goodwin is a guru.

But agree that to get a guy that good, you'd have to pay overs - otherwise Adelaide will match it and retain him for two more years.

And that probably means a salary in the $1.5 million a year range - more than Boyd (a dudd) and Franklin (older) over five years minimum.

If that is overs then so be it.

The only issue I see is how we can fit that sort of salary under the cap when I thought we were meant to be close to the cap anyway.

He's in the best three midfielders in the competition with Ablett and Fyfe, is middle-aged as a footballer and can play as a clearance machine or provide pace from the outside - which we need urgently still.

I still have doubts about why he'd want to come to Melbourne, unless he really thinks Goodwin is a guru.

But agree that to get a guy that good, you'd have to pay overs - otherwise Adelaide will match it and retain him for two more years.

And that probably means a salary in the $1.5 million a year range - more than Boyd (a dudd) and Franklin (older) over five years minimum.

If that is overs then so be it.

The only issue I see is how we can fit that sort of salary under the cap when I thought we were meant to be close to the cap anyway.

The AFL announced teams that can spend 100% over and melbourne is one of them, giving us 500k to spend. If we de-list a few and combine with the cap space we have then we should be able to get him.

Just picture Dangerfield with the demons guernsey on, if there is one guy who would look a million bucks in the red and blue it would be Dangerfield.

Dangerfield is exactly the type of player we need.....

Whilst this topic seems to be 'hot', I would like to say that I can't quite understand why posters would be against paying 'overs' to one of the star midfielders of this competition. I can't quite understand the logic.

I mean, am I stating the bleeding obvious in saying that landing a player like Dangerfield would fast track the development of our younger and developing mids, have an influence in fast tracking us up the ladder and into finals which in turn would have a direct result on young budding stars like Hogan wanting to stay at the club?

I can't see an argument against paying a player like him 'overs'. Unless of course it means we won't have enough money to offer Hogan for his next contract. Obviously the club wouldn't allow that to happen.

I also doubt that many if any of the players on our list would be against the club paying big dollars to get a player like Damgerfield to our club.

They've been starved of success for so long, I'm sure they'd welcome any him with open arms regardless of the amount.

Buddy Franklin, Gary Ablett jnr, Chris Judd...

There's some logic for you.

There are "overs" and there are "overs".

Get Dangerfield in and you give yourself a legitimate chance of a premiership within 3 years.

Agree with your first sentence, but not sure I agree with your second line. He and someone like Prestia would get us into the 8, but pushing Hawthorn and everyone else, let alone learning to win regularly is a long way from winning the flag.

• Like 1

When Roos come out a said he wants an "A Grade midfielder", he may as well had said "we are going to go hard at Dangerfield".

If we get this guy it would be as big as the Judd to Carlton deal.

Edited by ILLDieADemon

Thing is, Dangerfield would cost us nothing more than cap space, and our capability to "overspend" would indicate we had that in spades.

We won't always, but we do now, so I say we front load like a mofo.

It can cost though 'Mach5', we've got to make certain we can pay who we need to keep and be able to build a strong list.

The Franklin deal looks to have backfired at Sydney and may yet be one of the worst in recent memory. They have little to no depth and lost big 'Mummy' and he was probably more important than Franklin to them.

Judd cost Carlton more than Kennedy and it's only now he has gone that Cripps has had the opportunity to show what he has.

I've been around long enough for Templeton, Moore, Croswell, Tillbrook ....to know that if we get Danger it's not the answer. It's just part of a much bigger puzzle that might lose some important pieces along the way.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 3

Don't say that.

The Judd deal held Carlton back.

i

No it didn't. Judd was at Carlton from 2008 - 2015.

In those 7 years, he was the following.

All Australian 08, 09, 10, 11

Carlton B&F 08, 09, 10

Club Captain 2008 - 2012

Brownlow Medal 2010

Alpha MVP 2011.

You build a club around a player like that.

Carlton had 3 #1 draft picks in a row before he walked in the door.

They butchered their draft picks almost exactly the same as we did. Some might argue worse in the more recent years.

The Judd deal didn't hold them back,it was the absolute failure of the club to draft and develop a decent side around him.

Judd cost Carlton Kennedy, pick 3 and pick 20.

Dangerfield would cost us nothing.

• Like 5

how close he was last year , its not funny , if crows had accepted the offer he would already be here

this year if all he costs is $$$ and not picks then offer 10mill over 7 years , we need / want him

how close he was last year , its not funny , if crows had accepted the offer he would already be here

this year if all he costs is $$$ and not picks then offer 10mill over 7 years , we need / want him

That type of cash needs to be going to the future 'Hogan Fund'

• Like 1

It's worked for Adelaide????

You're treating Dangerfield in isolation. I'm not. You need to broaden your horizons and thinking.

Star-studded talent wins flags. Adelaide have Dangerfield and who else ? Maybe Walker. Sloane is very good and blue collar, but no star.

In 3 years Melbourne would have Hogan, Dangerfield, Brayshaw and Petracca. That quartet gives you the chance of a flag. FFS, some supposed experts think the Dogs and Richmond could take it out this year. I don't, btw. Port nearly made a GF 2 years ago. North made a prelim last year. Good ordinary sides that lacked the stars to go all the way, but showed that the competition is very close.

Because the holy grail has eluded this football club for so long I reckon some of you over estimate how difficult it is. It's certainly not easy, but it's far from impossible.

Sydney won flags in 2005 and 2012. Only 4 players remained from the 2005 team. They rebuilt on the back of cola to get enough talent to win another one.

Look at Hawthorn. Their stars in Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli and Roughead won them flags. Stars won them flags. But if you look at the rest of their team it's the equivalent of the foreign legion. So many are players from other clubs that complement their stars.

Clearly my premise relies on Hogan, Petracca and Brayshaw becoming genuine stars and others becoming bona fide A-graders (Viney, Salem and hopefully others). If that doesn't happen then Dangerfield won't make the difference and bridge the gap to a flag. But I live in the hope and confidence that we have recruited players capable of delivering the ultimate and that a player like Dangerfield makes the difference.

Hogan will become one of the games great key forwards. How many of history's great key forwards never played in a grand final. Most won flags. Dangerfield would give the club a decent shot.

• Like 8

Buddy Franklin, Gary Ablett jnr, Chris Judd...

There's some logic for you.

What?

I can only imagine where GC would be now had Gary Ablett not been there from the start. He is everything to that team. Do you not believe that he's single-handedly helped fast track and develop some of those younger players? Are you kidding me?

Sydney made the Grand Final last year. Franklin was a big influence on their year. Are you saying that their form this year is because of some contractual issue?

And the Chris Judd one has been answered. He was monumental for their club and did everything he could whilst his body was still able.

You're honestly clutching at straws. None of that is logic.

What is logical is that Dangerfield would HELP our cause and be nothing but a positive influence at our club. Period.

Paying overs is something a club like us would have to do in order to get him here. Does that mean offering him a Franklin type deal?

No. But I haven't read anybody suggesting that. You can still pay a player big dollars but also be mindful that there are young players on your list who will need to be offered significant contracts also.

There are 'overs' and there are 'OVERS'.

I don't know what you're worrying about.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

From the Sun yesterday, isn't there talk we are after Lynch ?

“No one is closer to Danger at the club than me and Lynchy (Tom Lynch) and he hasn’t given us any indication and I’ve made it a strong emphasis not to press him,’’ Crows Ruckman Josh Jenkins said.

You're treating Dangerfield in isolation. I'm not. You need to broaden your horizons and thinking.

Star-studded talent wins flags. Adelaide have Dangerfield and who else ? Maybe Walker. Sloane is very good and blue collar, but no star.

In 3 years Melbourne would have Hogan, Dangerfield, Brayshaw and Petracca. That quartet gives you the chance of a flag. FFS, some supposed experts think the Dogs and Richmond could take it out this year. I don't, btw. Port nearly made a GF 2 years ago. North made a prelim last year. Good ordinary sides that lacked the stars to go all the way, but showed that the competition is very close.

Because the holy grail has eluded this football club for so long I reckon some of you over estimate how difficult it is. It's certainly not easy, but it's far from impossible.

Sydney won flags in 2005 and 2012. Only 4 players remained from the 2005 team. They rebuilt on the back of cola to get enough talent to win another one.

Look at Hawthorn. Their stars in Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli and Roughead won them flags. Stars won them flags. But if you look at the rest of their team it's the equivalent of the foreign legion. So many are players from other clubs that complement their stars.

Clearly my premise relies on Hogan, Petracca and Brayshaw becoming genuine stars and others becoming bona fide A-graders (Viney, Salem and hopefully others). If that doesn't happen then Dangerfield won't make the difference and bridge the gap to a flag. But I live in the hope and confidence that we have recruited players capable of delivering the ultimate and that a player like Dangerfield makes the difference.

Hogan will become one of the games great key forwards. How many of history's great key forwards never played in a grand final. Most won flags. Dangerfield would give the club a decent shot.

What?

I can only imagine where GC would be now had Gary Ablett not been there from the start. He is everything to that team. Do you not believe that he's single-handedly helped fast track and develop some of those younger players? Are you kidding me?

Sydney made the Grand Final last year. Franklin was a big influence on their year. Are you saying that their form this year is because of some contractual issue?

And the Chris Judd one has been answered. He was monumental for their club and did everything he could whilst his body was still able.

You're honestly clutching at straws. None of that is logic.

What is logical is that Dangerfield would HELP our cause and be nothing but a positive influence at our club. Period.

Paying overs is something a club like us would have to do in order to get him here. Does that mean offering him a Franklin type deal?

No. But I haven't read anybody suggesting that. You can still pay a player big dollars but also be mindful that there are young players on your list who will need to be offered significant contracts also.

There are 'overs' and there are 'OVERS'.

I don't know what you're worrying about.

I'm expressing that not everything is as simple as you say...and that I've seen it before.

Please excuse my ignorance but have GC, Sydney or Carlton won a flag with their messiahs? Have Adelaide won one with 'Danger'?

The Franklin move was supposed to make Sydney a powerhouse and it's been the opposite, yes they made the GF last year but performed like a shadow of the Swans we have come to know, they were an embarrassment and Franklin was close to their best. Something has happened to the fabric of their club.

GC struggle to win without Ablett on the ground. I must admit I thought they were smart to grab him and GWS were on the wrong track with their strategy, seems their approach to develop players and add key senior players has been vindicated.

Carlton, for many reasons are up the creek but one things for sure. Judd didn't take them to the promised land.

I think we are on the right track now and 'Danger' might be a good addition to us but then again he might not. I take on board 'Mach5's point that he won't cost us a trade (pick or player) so that lessens the cost and is a plus.

It's important that we get the pay scale right or it will effect us for years to come. It's also important that we get the right player.

• Like 3