2014: Pass or Fail?

praha

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it?

And we had another failure of a season - we lost 18 games...

BUT we have improved (relatively) immensely, and only the demented few will say we are no better off than we were 12 months ago or 18 months ago.

The trajectory is up, we are just coming from 6 feet under the ground...

Improved immensely is a bit rich
  • Like 1

Another D.

The second half was incredibly deflating and I can only hope that fatigue played a big part. Brisbane and GWS were every bit as bad as Neeld performances, and those are memories that didn't need resurfacing.

Certainly there.were areas of promise, and on an individual level, Dom Tyson may well be the greatest piece of recruiting the club has done in over a decade.

A D from me, was hoping for 5-8 wins and a percentage of at least 70.

We should have beaten:

• St Kilda
  • Bulldogs (Twice)
  • Port Adelaide (Twice)
  • Gold Coast (Questionable)
  • Brisbane

That's 7 extra games we could have won if we learn to close out last quarters and turn our attitude into a winning one, in total that's 11 games that could have been won - for us we would have been very happy with that.

Unfortunately for us as demon supporters and in life in general, the negatives stick out more than the positives. And when it pours, it rains for the Melbourne FC. I strongly believe with another strong drafting period & pre season those winnable games that could have been this year, will be won next year.

This is a pet peeve of mine, "we should have beaten" - maybe, but we didn't. We won 4 games by under 4 goals, we lost 6 games by under 4 goals. How/ why did we win those games?

The league average for accuracy is 52.44%. Our season average was 49.22%.

In the games we lost our average was 45.34%.

In the games we won our average was 65.33%(49.26), at the same time, the opposition was averaging 34.65% (35.66). In each game we won, our opposition had more scoring shots, across the 4 games we won our opposition had 26 more shots.

As for the 6 games we lost by less than 4 goals - only vs St Kilda in round 1 did we have more shots than an opponent. In those 6 games we kicked 63.63, our opponents kicked 74.67 (pretty much the league average).

There are many variables that go in to the simple stats of goals and behinds, but it paints a picture. The games we won we had a high accuracy percentage and our opponents was low. In the games we were close both teams were around the league average.

Go back and relive last season - we are worse than last year ? I fear you have a very short memory.

Maybe not worse than last year, but the loss to GWS was the most soul destroying loss I have ever seen (worse than 186 or the 148 point smashing by the bombers), pretty much ruined the entire season for me.

• Like 1

I wait to see who is culled first. Results may sway my opinion.

interesting take....i.e Season not quite over..lol

Maybe not worse than last year, but the loss to GWS was the most soul destroying loss I have ever seen (worse than 186 or the 148 point smashing by the bombers), pretty much ruined the entire season for me.

It was soul destroying for me to. That's because I expected to win that contest. The difference is that last year I didn't go into any games with an expectation of winning.

D from me.

Could have been a lot better if we finished off better in some of those games, in that being said we also played Carlton, Richmond and Essendon at the right time. At the end of the year those matches would have been a loss.

There's enough there to work with, hopefully some new players via the trade/free agency/draft and another pre-season under Roos will see us with 7-10 win team next year.

Judging by wins/losses mmmmm no thanks.

PR.order of business.

Teaching a group{that are not good enough}to switch with player on mark the whole game.=improvement and better next year.TICK.

Kicking down the line=improvement and found out who cant maintain this for a 23 game stretch.TICK,improvement next year

Getting more than 18 players into the thematic game role.Tick more improvement coming next year.

Controlling out pass from stoppages,=Tick,more improvements next year.

Teaching skill needed to overcome situations=not there yet,more improvement needed and will happen in pre.

Finding out who can and who cant=TICK delistings and new players to come.

Type of list needed size/speed/age/etc=TICK,more changes to come.

Overall rating from me.=7/10

Saw massive changes within team structure and looking forward to next stage,now the players know whats to come and whats expected,feel very confident about next 2 years.

In education we spend a lot of time talking about differentiated teaching to cater for the often large spread of ability in any given class group. The difficulty is always trying to find a balance between developing the lower achieving students, progressing the middle band of capable students and extending the high achievers. It's not easy and, unfortunately, we often end up teaching to the middle and failing the other two groups who really need our time and attention as much as the middle band.

I'm seeing Paul Roos taking stock of the situation and focusing his attention on establishing fundamental defensive skills with our group. This seems to be an acceptance that they can't progress without having a solid grasp of the basics. My concern is that in doing this some of our higher achievers have been starved of opportunities to shine. Our middle core group have also been restricted in their progression.

The fact that some of brighter lights have been absent, or wagging, for a good part of the year compounds the problem.

Overall, an E+. Better effort for some of the year but little real progress towards being a finals contender anytime soon. Hopefully some expulsions and some new enrollments next year will serve to raise the collective ability levels of the group.

• Like 6

BUT we have improved (relatively) immensely

Improved immensely is a bit rich

Did you read the word in between the parenthesis?

We have doubled our wins and improved our percentage by 25% (14% in real terms) and shaved 34 points a game off what the opposition were scoring against us.

Because we were in an abyss in 2013 - this year's mere utter failure is an immense improvement to the nonsense of last year.

Did you read the word in between the parenthesis?

We have doubled our wins and improved our percentage by 25% (14% in real terms) and shaved 34 points a game off what the opposition were scoring against us.

Because we were in an abyss in 2013 - this year's mere utter failure is an immense improvement to the nonsense of last year.

it is still an abyss in my view.

You are clutching at straws.

Who cares if we only got blown away in one quarter or three, it just delayed the result.

We are 17th behind all but the Aints, who beat us.

it is still an abyss in my view.

You are clutching at straws.

Who cares if we only got blown away in one quarter or three, it just delayed the result.

We are 17th behind all but the Aints, who beat us.

You are arguing out of muscle memory - I have agreed it is a failure of a year.

Despite an extremely disappointing August, I saw improvement in the basics before that. I was hoping and expecting 6+ wins, so 4 was below my expectation. Despite the wins against unexpected opponents being refreshing, it was the very poor displays against teams we should have been closer to that stood out for me.

The loss to GWS was a worse performance than 186 for me, so that still burns.

D

Our defence was miles better but our offense was hamstrung by a lack of quality targets. Losing Clark & Hogan for the year cost us at least 4 wins and we may have even got 10 wins if both had played all year.

A club like our's just can't plan for things like that to occur. It's not an excuse, it's a valid reason.

Without quality targets, it's hard to win more games than you lose unless ... you've got a super midfield. Dawes is a 3rd forward and Frawley played a similar role. There's no one else worth mentioning in terms of KPF's. Good key forwards know where to lead to and they get into the right places, more often.

We had the worst forward line on paper in the league and the results speak for themselves. We need to recruit another key forward to support Hogan if we're serious about pushing for finals in the future. With Dawes as the 3rd forward, we'd be a much better performed team.

interesting take....i.e Season not quite over..lol

Yes and no BB. Interesting reading all year especially peoples takes on players performances ie Watts. Roos has defended his chargers all year during his press conferences, now it's time to see what he really thinks.

Yes and no BB. Interesting reading all year especially peoples takes on players performances ie Watts. Roos has defended his chargers all year during his press conferences, now it's time to see what he really thinks.

I was actually concurring. I.e The season as a whole, so possibly what transpires next is quite reasonably a part of it. Some might say part of next season but I see the jist :)

Its terribly important for obvious reasons that we morph. Let the morphing continue :)

• Like 1

Gets an F from me.

Any of the early gains were obliterated in the last 9 rounds.

Bring on the draft & get some players with some steel in their attitude.

Surely nearly beating Port in Adelaide was a worthy effort in the last 9 rounds? Like many I gave us a D. We are gaining in our efforts to climb up the ladder.