Post Match Discussion - Round 17

Demonland

Dunn didn't have his best game yesterday but fits that criteria. I would also add Tmac and Jetta to that list.

Two that didn't play yesterday - Salem is skilful and has footy smarts, from what I've seen(most but not all of his games) puts himself in the right places and can hold his ground/out smart his player. JKH.......we know he needs to work on some areas of his game but I think we have the makings of a player there. But yes we have many that don't fit that criteria.

Agree....wrote that in desperation, rather than in clarity.

Dean Kent doesn't mind a scrap either.

• Like 1

PS - they showed footage of Jesse Hogan jogging and he looked very proppy.

Hope is that he'll play one AFL game this year.

Doesnt matter really,JH has already earned a place in the JW hall of fame.

Thank christ PR doesnt suffer fools.

Anyone notice how much more McKenzie was inclined to kick the ball yesterday running out of a pack rather than look around in a panic to handball it off? Stats were 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 71% efficiency. That's the opposite sort of ratio to his normal stats.

Not saying he was any better than usual, but it was at least good to see the ball being cleared forward via a kick rather than more ring-a-rosie handballs into trouble around the congestion. Something has changed in his instructions or the way he plays.

As miserable about Melbourne as I am it's no coincidence that we are struggling to kick goals when two of our three top forwards going into the year haven't played a game.

I realise it's all hypothetical however if Clark and Hogan were playing this year things would look a lot different and Dawes would be far more effectual.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 4

As miserable about Melbourne as I am it's no coincidence that we are struggling to kick goals when two of our three top forwards going into the year haven't played a game.

I realise it's all hypothetical however if Clark and Hogan were playing this year things would look a lot different and Dawes would be far more effectual.

Correct. Dawes key role is to be the second tall not the primary. He is great at clearing the space for the main man. The issue is there is no main man at present.

By all means, you, Picket, WYL, jackaub and anyone else can discuss/debate as much as you like. But when you call players all sorts of disparaging names and question their integrity, what do you expect? Our list may be poor and lacking in skill and talent, but they don't go out there to not try. I don't mind critiquing, but outright abuse is disgusting and shows the lack of class you and your mates have. I cannot, and will not, listen to you all abusing someone else's husband/son/brother just because they are AFL footballers. That does not give you the right to verbally attack them as "spuds", "duds" or whatever else your small minds can come up with. They too are human beings. I'm just as pizzed off as anyone with our performances over the years, but I will never resort to this sort of childish behaviour. How you can all justify it beggars belief. Grow up. It's a game of Footy, not life itself.

You're a clown - the minute you lumped me in with Picket Fence I didn't even bother with the rest of your post. Harden up, of course when discussing players part of it is whether they have the courage or will power to make it in the AFL - this isn't the ammo's where you can get by on skill alone.

• Like 3

It's typical there are too many posters who don't know much about football, the same people with no idea blame watts, if the inside mids dont get their hands on the footy then how the heck can the outside player get the ball, there is two parts of a clearance, first the insider wins the ball then he feed it to the outsider, the second player can't happen when the insider can't get his hands on the footy

What has any of that got to do with Watts continually losing his feet in 1:1 contests and being outmuscled by smaller opponents?

• Like 5

Our poor investments in drafting have killed us. No news here. Having failures (so far) in Toumpas so recently doesn't help. The next 8 players picked after him are all in their clubs best 22 playing week in week out. I only have blind hope for him but he's a worse pick than morton at this stage. He had double hip surgery before he was drafted they say. Then why would you invest so much in a kid who's body was cooked?

I also find your training reports creepy - there, I've said it.

I wonder if some aspiring director reads these forums and Saty's musings. I think they could find enough material to make an AFL themed remake of this little gem!

Watts with his ability and brain should be a leader at the club not being babied like he still is in his first year.

Im seriously thinking for his own sake and teh good of the club he needs a change of scenery

Trade him

Im seriously thinking for his own sake and teh good of the club he needs a change of scenery

Trade him

He'd turn out an absolute gun just to compound our drafting and trading over the last 6 or so years.

He'd turn out an absolute gun just to compound our drafting and trading over the last 6 or so years.

I wouldnt care...its all about what ( Watt) anyone brings to our table and if its a hafl eaten plate of leftovers then Im not really that interested.

To move forward you have to let go

its time

Watts would be the icing on the cake for a team that moves the ball quickly and 95% of its players can kick to position.

I suggest that PR just leaves the bugger to roam in forward arc and instruct him to run back hard when we gain position....oh, wait, turnovers....hmmm.

Dunno.

• Like 1

Could be worse, could have Buckey at the helm......

Can't help but feel once we can hit the scoreboard when we get a run on things will improve dramatically. We had chances in the first but just could not convert. Cats really took advantage of the let off, some of their field kicking in the second was outrageous. Just toyed with us safe in the knowledge we could not hurt them on the scoreboard.

• Like 3

We look to want to hold on to players for what they could be, not what they are. We live on hope that they player will start to show the promise that they have shown glimpses of, sadly all too often they do not live up to expectations. I would expect Roos to keep his trading options open on most of our players, if the deal is right for MFC then I would think that he would trade Jack Watts. As for signing some other players like Spencer etc.. if they are still on our list as contracted players we can still trade them.

We look to want to hold on to players for what they could be, not what they are. We live on hope that they player will start to show the promise that they have shown glimpses of, sadly all too often they do not live up to expectations. I would expect Roos to keep his trading options open on most of our players, if the deal is right for MFC then I would think that he would trade Jack Watts. As for signing some other players like Spencer etc.. if they are still on our list as contracted players we can still trade them.

...and if we think they have some trade value then it's better for us to still have them under contract.

Looking forward to Jesse pulling a boot on and if he manages to play a senior game I'm sure the spirits of the faithful will receive a lift.

I witnessed his pre season game v GCS in 2013 and he is a special talent.

Been another tough season however under Roos we have improved in many areas and the second half on Saturday proves that theory.

In past years we would have suffered a 100 plus point defeat.

• Like 2

Such a disappointing performance, but really we've been playing poorly for many weeks. The essendon win, wonderful as it was, was a cruel tease. Any rational observer would know we were lucky to not be 10 goals down early. The earlier performance vs collingwood was abysmal. Yet we only lost by 30 odd points that day. More telling was the 3 goals we managed that day.

Paul Roos has some decent coaching credentials, but fans are entitled to question his approach to management of his entire squad. He has allowed a 2 tiered approach to player management to develop. His total abandonment of the guys at casey is revealing. He hasn't attended a casey game all year. He allows the guys down there to be critiqued in a public and savage way, and having watched a single recording of an abc broadcast offers an opinion those guys are atrocious. At the same time he leaps to public defend the failings of guys like jack watts. Apparently it wasn't Jack's fault he was shite yesterday, it was the fault of the other guys. There are many guys in the senior team who are being gifted games and presumably aren't any better at "defensive transition" than the casey guys like blease and the others and if they are, how come we have been belted most of the last 10 weeks. I reckon we've got too many guys who feel they are way too safe in the senior team.

Of course there'll be some weeks when it's not practical for coaches etc to watch the twos, but having watched at least 4 casey games during the year I find it interesting the number of senior coaches and senior players there to support their club mates at Carlton, box hill, Richmond collingwood even bloody nth Ballarat. Spoke to a box hill family and they said Clarkson sometimes even stays and watches box hill and travels on a later flight to coach hawthorn. At casey games I've seen Byrnes and max gawn a couple of times and that's it. I note rookie rookie harmes was listed as casey's best yesterday and even Strauss got a mention. Shame the Melbourne head of development wasn't there to see it!

Still, since I guess he was at the MCG I'm looking forward to Brett Allison's internet musings on the 22 guys who ran out in melbourne jumpers. What day will it be on the Melbourne web page?

• Like 3

Looking forward to Jesse pulling a boot on and if he manages to play a senior game I'm sure the spirits of the faithful will receive a lift.

I witnessed his pre season game v GCS in 2013 and he is a special talent.

Been another tough season however under Roos we have improved in many areas and the second half on Saturday proves that theory.

In past years we would have suffered a 100 plus point defeat.

Gee your comment above are truly depressing, from it I take that

Getting totally out classed by Geelong by 11 goals (66 points ) when we would have got done by 100 points in the past is a big improvement!

If Geelong had kicked reasonably it would have been 100.

Don't kid yourself we have not come very far at all.