Bendigo v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

Casey beats the bottom side that is disbanding, by 2 points, in the last minute. Looking good for Casey.

The future of our alignment with Casey should just about be Jackson's number one priority at the moment. If we are going to improve our on-field performance and develop the right culture going forward, then we have to get complete control of our VFL team. I don't care what we call it - but we need to employ the coaches and support staff - so we can mix and match training drills, game plans , player positioning etc.

Some cynic will say we must be getting close to that now ........... because Casey is getting thumped just like we are !!

Does anybody know exactly what is happening behind the scenes ?

The future of our alignment with Casey should just about be Jackson's number one priority at the moment. If we are going to improve our on-field performance and develop the right culture going forward, then we have to get complete control of our VFL team. I don't care what we call it - but we need to employ the coaches and support staff - so we can mix and match training drills, game plans , player positioning etc.

Some cynic will say we must be getting close to that now ........... because Casey is getting thumped just like we are !!

Even the Doggies have their own Puppies !! Youd have to wonder if it really isnt in our ability to field our own magoos.

Im not convinced that the VFL isnt due for a shakeup anyhow

I think at a minimum we need to invest some money to get some good quality VFL players to help the development of the younger kids coming through. Part of development is winning.

I think at a minimum we need to invest some money to get some good quality VFL players to help the development of the younger kids coming through. Part of development is winning.

This is a big part of the problem. In years done by, when Casey was winning, they had some very good VFL players (Silvagni, Mohr etc) that worked really well with the AFL listed players. We don't have that at all this year and it shows.

Short sighted of the supporters to want to jump off the Casey bandwagon too, with this season the first for a long time that they won't play finals.

• Like 2

This is a big part of the problem. In years done by, when Casey was winning, they had some very good VFL players (Silvagni, Mohr etc) that worked really well with the AFL listed players. We don't have that at all this year and it shows.

Short sighted of the supporters to want to jump off the Casey bandwagon too, with this season the first for a long time that they won't play finals.

Not to mention we had good VFL players on our list like Magner, Couch, etc.

is it though ?

Casey is BROKE...big time. thjey cant afford anyone really. Their future isnt too bright. So if we accept that then whats the 'realist's" approach going forward.. ( as far as Melbourne's interests are concerned )

is it though ?

Casey is BROKE...big time. thjey cant afford anyone really. Their future isnt too bright. So if we accept that then whats the 'realist's" approach going forward.. ( as far as Melbourne's interests are concerned )

a razor blade and a hot bath?

Bring back the reserves- starting at 11am - before the main game. Not a novel idea- but one the worked well for Melbourne based clubs.

Bring back the reserves- starting at 11am - before the main game. Not a novel idea- but one the worked well for Melbourne based clubs.

Sadly Biffen it will never happen.

Sadly Biffen it will never happen.

why not ?

why not ?

Ground management.

There used to be six grounds ( 1980's ) that hosted games most weekends with two games / ground.

There are now two grounds to host those games most weekends

The surface of the MCG and Death park could not handle that many games.

It is all about TV spreading the games over the max. hours of a weekend.

They are not interested in what happens at the grounds only what they can televise.

In Case you missed it the TV channels run the game now

e.g. Clash jumpers!

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

Ground management.

There used to be six grounds ( 1980's ) that hosted games most weekends with two games / ground.

They are not interested in what happens at the grounds only what they can televise.

e.g. Clash jumpers!

doggies have dumped their losers..Tigers have

you want us to keep ours ?

VFL is dying

doggies have dumped their losers..Tigers have

you want us to keep ours ?

VFL is dying

2 different stories 'BB' at the moment, the death of the VFL and our stand alone team. Could be a reserves only comp in the future but really doesn't answer our issues at the moment.

It seems we are not in a position to go stand alone but we certainly need to be in the prime position to develop our players. The only short term solution I can see is a quasi take over at Casey and investing some money into coaches and players to create a professional, winning environment.

2 different stories 'BB' at the moment, the death of the VFL and our stand alone team. Could be a reserves only comp in the future but really doesn't answer our issues at the moment.

It seems we are not in a position to go stand alone but we certainly need to be in the prime position to develop our players. The only short term solution I can see is a quasi take over at Casey and investing some money into coaches and players to create a professional, winning environment.

are we really not in a position or do we choose not to ? i don't know

500 m doesn't seem a huge nor impossible distance to travel

I would have thought had Doggies been able, then surely we can also

Ground management.

e.g. Clash jumpers!

There are quite a few grounds that could support a Victorian Reserves competition. Punt Road, Junction Oval, Vic Park, Druggy Hill, Moorabbin, Princes Park and I am sure others.

is it an extra 500k or would 500k be the total?

we are already pouring some money (100s K?) into casey vfl

Just talking short term 'BB', not sure we would be able to launch next season, we would probably have to have had the discussion with the VFL already for that to take place. We can't let things drift though and need to do something for the coming season.

Just talking short term 'BB', not sure we would be able to launch next season, we would probably have to have had the discussion with the VFL already for that to take place. We can't let things drift though and need to do something for the coming season.

Some of the posts on this topic seem to be based on the view that there are two clear options - continuation of the "alignment with the Casey Scorpions" or a standalone "Melbourne VFL" side based somewhere closer to the city.

On the face of it Hawthorn don't have a standalone VFL team. But I think I'm right in saying that Hawthorn effectively control the Box Hill Hawks on the field - which gives them all the benefits of their own VFL team without all the establishment costs

I think I'm right in saying that we signed an agreement with the City of Casey to stay out there for 20 years. We have already invested heavily in the Casey area. The answer might lie somewhere in the middle with team called the Casey Demons - which would leave the Casey community with a VFL- presence and the MFC with control over player development.( along the lines of the Box Hill Hawks)

I know its a long way to drive for many of us - but the ground work has been done.I'd like to know exactly what the Casey arrangement is - do we have a long term commitment to play as the Casey Scorpions under a separate Casey elected Board. - or is it a commitment to ensure that Casey retains a VFL team under a constitution which allows Melbourne to control football operations.

It might not be perfect - but I'd be happy with an arrangement like this. I'd really like to understand exactly what our commitments are?

• Like 2

The VFL competition has not served well as a good place to develop AFL seconds players for a while now. Too many byes. Too many conflicting interested parties. AFL stand alone teams. VFL stand alone teams. Clubs going broke. It needs a serious revamp.

From any Victorian AFL clubs perspective I thing they would want a VFL game every week that the senior AFL team is playing and enough control over the team/alliance so that the developing players are playing enough minutes and are learning the same structures and styles the seniors AFL side use and are playing along side VFL only players that are of high enough quality to fulfil those structures/styles. Big ???? over whether the Casey and MFC alliance is providing that. Casey's win/loss record is a very minor part as far as the MFC is concerned.

The AFL, VFL and MFC need to make it work better for us and for everyone.

Stats just in and yes JKH did play - 25 disposals, one tackle.

Salem didn't play - perhaps he was 23rd man for seniors and its a two-hour drive to Bendigo.

Barry kicked three goals but just nine touches and no tackles.

Harmes had best output - 31 touches - perhaps he read my blog that he hadn't done enough to warrant retention yet.

Gawn was listed as 80 hitouts - not sure if that's a misprint or not.