The Run Home - Race for the spoon

Wooden spoon is not out of the question for us, and frankly given how badly we need to clear this list out I'm not that worried about it. We're showing signs of improvement, and next year we'll be playing everyone in the bottom 6 twice, so it'll be our best chance to rise up the ranks damn fast in a long time.

Picks 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 will net us some real gems.

Optimistic you lot. I think we won't win any more games.

Just hope our list management have cancelled all leave for the next 8 months. Clean out required

I agree GWS and Briso will smash us at the moment

Wooden spoon is not out of the question for us, and frankly given how badly we need to clear this list out I'm not that worried about it. We're showing signs of improvement, and next year we'll be playing everyone in the bottom 6 twice, so it'll be our best chance to rise up the ranks damn fast in a long time.

Picks 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 will net us some real gems.

Yes if we are lucky we may get a Trengove or a Toumpas

• Like 2

Every game and very round is different.

For a bit of perspective, I think many forget that the team that beat us by a goal yesterday only a fortnight back beat Collingwood at the same venue, and were towelled up by Port the following week.

A big problem especially for the developing / struggling teams is getting consistency both between games and within games.

Yes, yesterday's start was totally unacceptable, but just a bit of perspective could be helpful.

I see us winning one more game this year - either GWS or Brisbane. That will probably be enough to avoid the winning spoon. Finishing 17th would be poor/great result. Poor because for all of the inroads we made between rounds 4-13, we find ourselves at the same postion as last year's trainwreck. Great because we could get picks 2 and 3 as a result of Frawley comp - hopefully.

It would be ironic if we got the spoon given we were the AFL's good news story for about 6 weeks.

Brisbane and GWS are no easy beats. This team let another team on the same win-loss record get a 37-point lead before half-time. On top of that, they've been us twice, and have looked far more refined, honest and concise in dying moments than Melbourne.

The Adelaide and Essendon games gave this team plenty of character, but otherwise we haven't seen a consistent, 4-quarter effort for six weeks (round 9, vs Richmond).

I think 2 wins is optimistic. This team lacks depth, has arguably one of the worst bottom-6 on any given game day of any team in the comp, and lacks much upside not currently in the team aside from Hogan. We still have 2-3 years left of strong drafting and hopefully persuading free agents, because there are simply too many guys that just can't cut it on game day.

Are guys like Riley, Tapscott, Blease, Barry, Terlich going to step up and be relied upon if those above them can't? This is ultimately what separates us from the Bulldogs: they have fringe players that step up. The Doggies have done really well to create an exciting team.

Melbourne will still yet feel the pain of awful drafting, 08-13. We are not out of the woods yet. Dare I say we're not even half-way. Harsh reality.

Anything less than 6 wins will be a failure for the season. No more wins would be absolutely disastrous. 10 wins in three seasons would embed Melbourne 08-14 as one of the worst teams of all time (if it isn't already).

Carlton's 02-07 (7 seasons) were bad but we're already worse. I expected 6 wins and I won't accept any less.

Edited by Cudi_420

It's funny how different people assess the season, the way I look at it, we have had 1 game that was over at half time the rest we have still been in it. There has been 4-5 matches that up until half way through the last quarter we have had a chance to win. It is now turning these should of won games into wins, turn back the clock we should have beaten the Bulldogs twice, Saints, Gold Coast, Port and even GWS, games that we were in until late in the last quarter, even Collingwood that Vince non Goal, you turn them into wins we are a top 8 team.

• Like 1

Yes if we are lucky we may get a Trengove or a Toumpas

In all seriousness, I think next year Trengove, toumpas and Hogan will all add something to the team.

So two midfielders - one with a second pre season under the belt and the other hopefully over his injuries to compliment hogan into the team.

Could be very handy.

Sack Roos? :P

Well, you were 'begging the question'...

We will win 5, 6, 7, or 8 games but either way we are going to have a percentage around 80, clear out about 6 players, and continue on this road with Roos.

The alternative is a hypothetical that will be never wondered about by anyone outside of this sad place.

It's funny how different people assess the season, the way I look at it, we have had 1 game that was over at half time the rest we have still been in it. There has been 4-5 matches that up until half way through the last quarter we have had a chance to win. It is now turning these should of won games into wins, turn back the clock we should have beaten the Bulldogs twice, Saints, Gold Coast, Port and even GWS, games that we were in until late in the last quarter, even Collingwood that Vince non Goal, you turn them into wins we are a top 8 team.

Yep agree - we are turning the corner, BUT we also have to consider the oppositions inaccuracies in-front of goal.. the only wins this year have been when the opposition has kicked awfully

Carlton 7.16

Richmond 9.20

Essendon 10.17

Adelaide 9.13

The only game we really should have won by having more scoring shots was the saints game (6.15). We are improving but we still have a long way to go.

Yep agree - we are turning the corner, BUT we also have to consider the oppositions inaccuracies in-front of goal.. the only wins this year have been when the opposition has kicked awfully

Carlton 7.16

Richmond 9.20

Essendon 10.17

Adelaide 9.13

The only game we really should have won by having more scoring shots was the saints game (6.15). We are improving but we still have a long way to go.

Maybe we pushed them wide and didn't let them have easy footy into the forward line?

• Like 2

Maybe we pushed them wide and didn't let them have easy footy into the forward line?

It could be part of it RPFC, maybe also more pressure on the ball carrier kicking for goal.

But i remember Edwards for richmond kicking 1.3 or 0.3 from general play in-front and missing all when he should have kicked them all, contrast that with bontempelli and his floater :(.

Every season there is the odd upset or 2 or 3 lowly side wins in the last 6 or 7 games of the season. I think are likely to win 2 games at minimum. As a poster said earlier we have not been to far off in a few games including yesterdays. Roos is not massive on draft pick position. In yesterdays media conference he said the reason why so many high draft picks do not make it is because while they are offensively talented they have deficiencies at AFL. He meant defensive skills. That is why the club is treating Toump like a first year player trying to develop that side of his game. Offensively he was tearing up a lesser SANFL comp at 17 - but AFL's a different level requiring super defensive skills. Barry got his first game based on his ability to put into practice at Casey the defensive skills taught - his disposal count at Casey was regarded as secondary. Ability to put these skills into practice and play a role 'to the letter' of what the coach requires has seen Jetta become an important player - he showed enormous courage on occasions yesterday. Some players will just not get it and as a result will find themselves looking for a new club at seasons end.

This year is about finding out who on the list wants to buy into Roos style as much as it is about winning - although nice to win!!!

Brayshaw or Petracca plus a fit Hogan and Trengove plus?? should see further improvement next year.

Roos looked gutted at the presser.

Saints have the spoon covered..............but we will get them a run for their money!

I think we can take the Brissie game, but GWS might give us some trouble.

I'm amazed at the negativity on this board.

Yeah, very annoying loss on Sunday, and we should be dissapointed as Bulldogs had a few out, but we had Trengove, Cross, McDonald, Hogan & Clark all out of the team who were all in our 22 at seasons start and we also had McKenzie out who would be the first to play Cross' role, so it's not like we were full strength.

We may loose all 8 of our last games, but at the same time I reckon we're capable of winning 5 of them so I think we should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Demand more of the team absolutely, but considering where we've come from, 2-20 with a 54% to now 4-10 with a percentage close to 80% and we should probably be 6-8 in all fairness (should of beaten Dogs twice & St Kilda, we pinched Essendon though must be said). This season was never about games won, but getting back to being a football team, being in matches and restoring belief.

As annoyed as I was, I'm still enjoying the season compared to our last 2 and a half and am confident we can run out the season in as decent and competative a fashion as we've seen so far.

• Like 2

I'm amazed at the negativity on this board.

Yeah, very annoying loss on Sunday, and we should be dissapointed as Bulldogs had a few out, but we had Trengove, Cross, McDonald, Hogan & Clark all out of the team who were all in our 22 at seasons start and we also had McKenzie out who would be the first to play Cross' role, so it's not like we were full strength.

We may loose all 8 of our last games, but at the same time I reckon we're capable of winning 5 of them so I think we should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Demand more of the team absolutely, but considering where we've come from, 2-20 with a 54% to now 4-10 with a percentage close to 80% and we should probably be 6-8 in all fairness (should of beaten Dogs twice & St Kilda, we pinched Essendon though must be said). This season was never about games won, but getting back to being a football team, being in matches and restoring belief.

As annoyed as I was, I'm still enjoying the season compared to our last 2 and a half and am confident we can run out the season in as decent and competative a fashion as we've seen so far.

FMD you have over 2000 posts and you're amazed with the negativity on Demonland!

• Like 5

Don't worry, we have Toumpas who can come in

Why don't you start whinging about the Kelly trade again while you are hitting the repeat button on your profile.

'Salem is still developing'

'Kelly is playing'

'Dunstan derp derp'

Why don't you start whinging about the Kelly trade again while you are hitting the repeat button on your profile.

'Salem is still developing'

'Kelly is playing'

'Dunstan derp derp'

Salem isn't exactly lighting the world on fire…but congratulations on trying to quote me from 4 or 5 months ago.