Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Paul Roos' observations

Dingo

In the latest Weekly Review - Bayside , there is an article by Peter Wilmoth about Roos taking up the coaching job.In it Paul says that when he took over , he found that "we weren't playing AFL football,so its been a big,big jump to get to where we are now.....There are minimum standards required to play AFL football and our guys weren't even at the minimum standard.We've probably just arrived at that point now."This is brief exerpt from a two page article that has positive things to say about his time at the club.I find this surprising, because I thought that the previous coaching regime would at least have had the players at the minimum standard.It seems that Mr Roos has a different definition of "minimum"!Probably explains why we are playing better football. ( the Weekly Review is basically a real estate magazine, that is delivered with the junk mail )

The previous regime were obsessed with MFC fitness levels and the previous coach spent his first year getting them to a level of fitness comparable to the Woods. At the beginning of 2013 he reported to the board that they were ready go. He appeared to have spent so much time concentrating on fitness he forgot about playing football. What Roos has done is get some half decent players into the midfield, abandoned the money ball approach and made the players use that fitness to run both ways especially down back when we don't have the ball. He is right we were a long way off in that respect. Even today his presser declared that we still need some class in the midfield

The previous regime were obsessed with MFC fitness levels and the previous coach spent his first year getting them to a level of fitness comparable to the Woods. At the beginning of 2013 he reported to the board that they were ready go. He appeared to have spent so much time concentrating on fitness he forgot about playing football. What Roos has done is get some half decent players into the midfield, abandoned the money ball approach and made the players use that fitness to run both ways especially down back when we don't have the ball. He is right we were a long way off in that respect. Even today his presser declared that we still need some class in the midfield

I think its simpler than that. We have a coach who has instilled self belief and confidence in players and mixed that with some good footy education.

• Like 1

Jack Trengove comes back next year.

He will make for a better side.

who will you drop for Trengove He will have to improve a lot to be considered at all IMO.

• Like 2

who will you drop for Trengove He will have to improve a lot to be considered at all IMO.

He will. Give the guy a go. He was an absolute gun in his first two years, and has a debilitating injury for at least two seasons. Explains completely why he was down on pace and skill. Fully fit and up and running he is another Nathan Jones, except a better kick and overhead mark.

Jack Trengove fully fit would be an important player in any AFL side. He was not number 2 draft pick for nothing. He will certainly have a much more distinguished career than his morose fellow draftee now at GWS, apart from being a much better bloke and leader.

JT up and running again will be like getting a number one draft pick into the team except a hell of a lot more experienced.

• Like 7

From the team that played on the weekend? Riley.

Trengove has already proven to have the ability. Just has to get his body right.

I have no doubt Roos will look to trade our first or second round draft pick for another gun, young midfielder. This is most likely to come from GWS or GC.

Or the quickest way to rebuild is pull off another Kelly for Tyson & Salem.

Give up one potential superstar for 2 great players. (Caveat - I need Ben Hur to quantify/qualify my description)

• Like 1

Riley could make way for Trengove, as could Bail, Mckenzie and maybe even Cross. As Roos has said, we need more class in the middle, and Trengove has more of that than those I have listed, even though they have a great amount of determination and heart.

Edit: I'd also add Matt Jones to the list of players that could make way for Trengove.

Edited by pm24

There will always be an otherwise best 22 player injured or out of form. You can't look at the current team now - by round 1 next year, circumstances will have changed. They always do.

I've got absolutely no doubt that there will be room for Trengove in the side.

• Like 2

In the latest Weekly Review - Bayside , there is an article by Peter Wilmoth about Roos taking up the coaching job.In it Paul says that when he took over , he found that "we weren't playing AFL football,so its been a big,big jump to get to where we are now.....There are minimum standards required to play AFL football and our guys weren't even at the minimum standard.We've probably just arrived at that point now."This is brief exerpt from a two page article that has positive things to say about his time at the club.I find this surprising, because I thought that the previous coaching regime would at least have had the players at the minimum standard.It seems that Mr Roos has a different definition of "minimum"!Probably explains why we are playing better football. ( the Weekly Review is basically a real estate magazine, that is delivered with the junk mail )

I thinn the previous regime built up our standards from a training perspective but were not able to translate it into the field. Roos has instilled confidence and belief in the group as well as making it clear what each players role is and how the perform it.

Reading the HUN page 75 we will be in the mix to trade hard for A Grade midfielders

Fyfe Mundy Brayshaw.

We must make the trade period work for us every year.

Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross have made the club far more attractive to join.

We must never forget what these boys have done.

Their contributions have been critical along with Roos in dragging the old girl off the canvas.

• Like 1

Reading the HUN page 75 we will be in the mix to trade hard for A Grade midfielders

Fyfe Mundy Brayshaw.

We must make the trade period work for us every year.

Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross have made the club far more attractive to join.

We must never forget what these boys have done.

Their contributions have been critical along with Roos in dragging the old girl off the canvas.

Fyfe will not leave WA despite the media speculation

Mundy will be 30 next season and the sort of coin he will be looking for is not worth it from our prospective

I have no issues with the club again targeting players who are not quite getting regular games in quality midfields, such as Tom Mitchell or the likes of Shiel, O'Rourke, Townsend, Hoskin-Elliott at GWS where they have an abundance of players through the middle and will be looking at trading some while they still hold the cards

Plenty of clubs looking for talls in the draft this year so I would think another trade similar to the Tyson/Salem/Pick 2 Kelly scenario would see us coming out with another 2 good mids for next season

• Like 1

So Fyfe will be an Eagle next year?

No he will be a Docker, they have the money and all other contracts are on hold till his is completed, so it's clear where their priorities are. A big gun may have to be sacrificed but it wont be Fyfe. Pav is to be recontracted and will be an a reduced contract which frees up a fair amount of coin

Unlikely does not mean impossible, Nat Fyfe is 22 and imo the best up and coming mid in the comp who would grow with our other kids

We have the trade assets to get it done.

The recruiters aren't doing their jobs if they haven't made a call

Adam treloar and Dylan sheil would be my next two targets

• Like 2

Unlikely does not mean impossible, Nat Fyfe is 22 and imo the best up and coming mid in the comp who would grow with our other kids

We have the trade assets to get it done.

The recruiters aren't doing their jobs if they haven't made a call

Adam treloar and Dylan sheil would be my next two targets

If I was going to throw coin to the point where I was going to get any midfielder I wanted I would have to say O'Meara and/or Dangerfield would be my choices over Fyfe.

You wouldn't lose with any of the three but for me O'Meara has everything and is not far off a young Chris Judd.

Having said that, with the Suns being one of the AFL's lovechild's it wont happen