Post Match Discussion - Never in doubt

Demonland

The Essendon supporters sitting in front of me started to complain about my cheering in the last quarter. (Stuff them you say)

So I didn't cheer for the Salem goal, I just listened... and felt it.

Awesome!

After the siren I sang the song, looked around and saw my son and wife looking at me, smiling, they knew I was happy. Really happy.

Are you serious? What a bunch of soctcocks!! It's the footy ffs if you can't cheer there where can you? I (and everyone around me) were going off tap in the AFL members in the last to the point where I seriously thought my legs would give out and I might pass out from lack of oxygen! If anyone had've told me to "settle down" I probably would have just given them a look and ignore them if not downright tell them to [censored] off. It's the footy mate, next time you tell them you paid your admission and you'll cheer as well and as loud as you please and if they don't like it they can go sit in the bleachers in Q51.

• Like 2

As I stated in an earlier post Bernie Vince really started the now famous chain leading to the winning goal. His huge crunching tackle causing a big spillage started it all off. Altogether, nine Demons were involved. What team work!

And not one error or hesitation in the entire passage of play.

• Like 1

nutbean, on 16 Jun 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I don't mind his game when he doesn't have too much time to think.

His handpass in the last chain that resulted in the Salem goal was beautiful. (in fact have a look a everyone's involvement in that chain - Pedo, Jones, Frawley, McKenzie, Tommy Mac, Viney and Cross to Salem - Roos was right - our best piece of offensive play for the year and what a time to produce it)

Spot on. Every handpass was executed and timed to perfection. It was vaguely Geelong-like actually. The Cross kick was excellent too, while Salem was as cool as you like. He's gonna be something this kid. So poised.

71 Molloy, on 16 Jun 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Get's marked up for the elbow in Carlisle's back post goal. Mad Kent!

It was Hooker actually.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

And to any melbourne supporter reading this, you have, and always will be irrelevant you snow seeking, sheltered, sidefringe wearing, collar repping, exclusively craft beer drinking, pea hearted bunch of absolute jerk-offs.

Guilty on that part. I've got to the stage where I pretty much only drink craft beers, I like the finer things.

Like Dean Kent's goal!

• Like 1

How is this for a stat:

Officially Essendon was the most dominant side for fwd 50 entries to lose a game, a +33 fwd 50 entry count and to lose. The average winning margin by a team with 33 or more fwd 50 entries is 87 points!! They lost by 1 hahahah a!!!

• Like 5

How is this for a stat:

Officially Essendon was the most dominant side for fwd 50 entries to lose a game, a +33 fwd 50 entry count and to lose. The average winning margin by a team with 33 or more fwd 50 entries is 87 points!! They lost by 1 hahahah a!!!

Is that for this year or in history?

Massive win. We played terribly for the first half. I took both older boys, and it was the first win that number 1 son (7, and the artist behind the inkblot avatar) started to really care. The losing, the winning, the losing, the victory...it is the way 1987 happened for me. Addiction through the thrill of victory under adversity.

And so it begins. Poor kid.

P.S., had forgotten that the MCC crowd could really get into the game. It's like a creature that has been asleep, or tranquilized, finally rousing from its slumber.

Go you mighty Demons.

• Like 9

The Essendon supporters sitting in front of me started to complain about my cheering in the last quarter. (Stuff them you say)

So I didn't cheer for the Salem goal, I just listened... and felt it.

Awesome!

After the siren I sang the song, looked around and saw my son and wife looking at me, smiling, they knew I was happy. Really happy.

What? So we're not allowed to cheer at the football? Why go along? Flogs.

Why the hell isn't the Replay up and working? Service must be run by bomber supporters in denial ( but seriously, i want to relive the goodness that was last night..)

Yep, fair enough JR, but I'll stick with my theory.

Dawes was in the clear and under normal circumstances would almost certainly have demanded the ball. Salem would have had no problem giving it off because it would have been part of the team rules.

The timeclock governed the decision in my opinion.

Disagree macca, you mark 30 out straight in front, go and kick the goal every time. Unless you're travis cloke.

How about this:

Essendon's total first quarter scores from four MCG games this year:

Essendon 17.15 117

Opposition 0.10 10

Yet they are still rubbish.

They came out on Anzac Day, all guns firing, and hit Collingwood with everything in the first quarter, but they just couldn't sustain it, perhaps there is an issue of fitness or maybe they're the sprinter in a staying race.

But you're right they're crapola, unfortunately they get their tyres pumped up by the media and actually believe they're good.

In on the couch tonight they put up a stat that showed the Dees have the record for the biggest difference is50's (33) and still won the game. The next biggest difference was 28.

Even funnier is that the bumbers were in 3 of the 8 or 9 games showen as the losing team.

Bunch of losers.

Ah it feels good.

Disagree macca, you mark 30 out straight in front, go and kick the goal every time. Unless you're travis cloke.

I'm not sure we're in disagreement anyway, GD ... I may be way off the mark with my thoughts on why the handball was not given off by Salem but I agree with you that at that stage of the game, you go back and have a shot (especially from that position on the ground) I guess sometimes more than one opinion can be true.

Anyway, all's well that ends well ^_^

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I think Jason Dunstall has a bit of affection for the Dees

Personally, I think he is just a very good commentator. He's relatively unbiased too. I also think sitting OTC with two Demons (Healy is close enough to a Demon) plays a part too.

Personally, I think he is just a very good commentator. He's relatively unbiased too. I also think sitting OTC with two Demons (Healy is close enough to a Demon) plays a part too.

Healy is the opposite of a demons supporter. Couldn't help but chuckle when he said he had a flat tire and was fixing it at the end of the dees game.

Agree Dunstall is a good commentator. But he also has a feel for the game and for a good story. I think he believes in equalization to an extent. He believes in the small clubs and close gaps between clubs and upset wins etc. Having taken a huge role in the turnaround of Hawthorn when they brought in Clarkson I think he understands how difficult it is for everyone when you are losing.

Also Clarko was an ex Melbourne player, Fagan and Evans two important pieces in Hawthorn's rebuild came from Melbourne and even now they have Yze and Bruce. He would've had a lot of contact with Melbourne people over the last decade.

Fair enough, but the back line under Rawlings wasn't entirely disgraceful. Those huge blowout scores were coming from a lack of team-wide defence, which was letting opposition mids (and even half-backs) stream into their forward line. Not to mention, the difficulty that our backs had in clearing the ball because our mids were so poor, which meant that it just kept on coming back in.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Rawlings off - he was the only one they kept, after all.

I agree with the notion that goals during 2012 and 2013 were being leaked, because of a lack of pressure from the entire team. It wasn't just the defence's fault we were conceding big scores. However, Rawlings' defenders (if you like), have it easier now, given the rest of the team is pulling their weight.

Rawlings had a year on his contract to run. It'll be interesting to see if they renew his contract at the end of the year. Not saying Rawlings is necessarily poor, I just think the turn around in the team's defensive capabilities must be place at the feet of Roos.

Watching 360 for the first time in months. I have to say, it must be very tricky to sit next to Mark Robinson without feeling like you're babysitting your drunk uncle.

He is seriously the most inarticulate journalist in the sport. A couple of the writers for AFL.com.au are pretty ordinary as well, but he cannot string a sentence together. He seems like a nice bloke and I generally like watching AFL360 on a Monday night, but I am still staggered that he is the Herald Sun's Chief Football Writer. It says a lot about that paper.

Massive win. We played terribly for the first half. I took both older boys, and it was the first win that number 1 son (7, and the artist behind the inkblot avatar) started to really care. The losing, the winning, the losing, the victory...it is the way 1987 happened for me. Addiction through the thrill of victory under adversity.

And so it begins. Poor kid.

P.S., had forgotten that the MCC crowd could really get into the game. It's like a creature that has been asleep, or tranquilized, finally rousing from its slumber.

Go you mighty Demons.

The MCC gets a bit of a rough go. I lampoon it occasionally myself, mostly because I'm extremely boisterous, but to be fair it can get very loud. I've always felt that for a smaller supporter base, at least in attendance, we always sound 20,000 stronger than the amount that actually turn up.

• Like 1

Since they started taking that fwd 50 entry stat,

1999. Also Dunn had the most defensive 50 rebound possies since that stat started, with 16.

It was a thoroughly dominant display by Dunn, wasn't it? I can't remember the last time a defender was so dominant in both their defensive duties and providing offensive rebound.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

Healy is the opposite of a demons supporter. Couldn't help but chuckle when he said he had a flat tire and was fixing it at the end of the dees game.

Agree Dunstall is a good commentator. But he also has a feel for the game and for a good story. I think he believes in equalization to an extent. He believes in the small clubs and close gaps between clubs and upset wins etc. Having taken a huge role in the turnaround of Hawthorn when they brought in Clarkson I think he understands how difficult it is for everyone when you are losing.

Also Clarko was an ex Melbourne player, Fagan and Evans two important pieces in Hawthorn's rebuild came from Melbourne and even now they have Yze and Bruce. He would've had a lot of contact with Melbourne people over the last decade.

He's an arse, yes, but he does have the MFC connection.

Interesting analysis of Dunstall. I can see that. And he was almost a Melbourne Hawk as well. ;)