Jake Spencer re-signs for 2 years

Ted Lasso

I'm surprised to be honest, I was expecting us to trade for a ruckman at the end of the year.

While I like that he puts in 100% each week, I haven't seen anything else to suggest why he should get an extension.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to be honest, I was expecting us to trade for a ruckman at the end of the year.

While I like that he puts in 100% each week, I haven't seen anything else to suggest why he should get an extension.

No Clark means one less tall.

Still reckon we'll be in the market for a young Ruckman this draft.

• Like 1

Serviceable and strong. A good back up at this stage. Not a world beater but certainly starting to pay off the investment in him.

PS MODS - there are two threads on this. ?merge?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Ultimately it's a required move given Jamar is nearing the end and Gawn has yet to show durability as the number 1 ruck.

At the same time I often wonder if we could just get a Cam Wood or Ben Hudson etc on the rookie list and just have a cheap back up.

We still haven't seen the best of Spencer but I still wonder how good he'll be. The problem is when he's doing well in hitouts and chasing little guys around and being aggressive then he's a positive factor in winning games. When he's being smashed in the ruck and can't get near it he's a negative.

• Like 1

Spence has a strong work ethic and we've seen a heap of improvement over his time at the Club. He still has a way to go, but he carried our rucks competently early in the year when our other ruckmen were injured. Further, I'm not sure we could have traded anyone better without giving up more than we will be prepared to part with. Well worth holding onto imo, and he wouldn't be commanding a huge pay packet.

• Like 2

Ultimately it's a required move given Jamar is nearing the end and Gawn has yet to show durability as the number 1 ruck.

At the same time I often wonder if we could just get a Cam Wood or Ben Hudson etc on the rookie list and just have a cheap back up.

We still haven't seen the best of Spencer but I still wonder how good he'll be. The problem is when he's doing well in hitouts and chasing little guys around and being aggressive then he's a positive factor in winning games. When he's being smashed in the ruck and can't get near it he's a negative.

imo we may do that next year, if Jamar is past it. likely Jamar could get another 1 (2016), on his form so far.

this year a good time to rookie one to get inline behind King.

Or IMO that he is any better.

Since coming in the last few weeks he has not impressed me.

I think he will be lucky to hold his spot this weekend.

• Like 1

I'm impressed by his bulk at this stage, he's (gawn) becoming a Big boy. hard to move off the ball. handy. 110Kgs, & his ability to play forward is a huge help to have 2 prongs in the ruck.

his mobility is key.

• Like 1

I think you need four ruckmen on your list. King is only new, Jamar is getting older. Spencer is, at a minimum, a good backup. I suspect his contract cost wouldn't be great.

Due to injuries to Hale and McEvoy, Hawthorn have just given a game to a ruckman who's been on their list for six years without a senior game.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 2

I'm impressed by his bulk at this stage, he's (gawn) becoming a Big boy. hard to move off the ball. handy. 110Kgs, & his ability to play forward is a huge help to have 2 prongs in the ruck.

his mobility is key.

He has actually kicked any goals since coming in?

honestly I cannot remember.

Bit surprised about this but can see the logical behind this. He does have a good mentor behind him but jeez he really does need to show a bit. A skinny Tom Nicholls absolutely towelled him up this year..

Harsh standards if he didn't impress you against Richmond. And in the ruck against Port he was ok. At least a couple of beautiful taps that set up goals that Spencer doesn't produce. I too think he will be lucky to hold his spot, but even if fit Spencer wouldn't even be in the conversation as he isn't even an option as a second ruck.

Harsh standards if he didn't impress you against Richmond. And in the ruck against Port he was ok. At least a couple of beautiful taps that set up goals that Spencer doesn't produce. I too think he will be lucky to hold his spot, but even if fit Spencer wouldn't even be in the conversation as he isn't even an option as a second ruck.

I will admit bias I know his family in QLD and like the kid.

• Like 1

He has actually kicked any goals since coming in?

honestly I cannot remember.

I don't know Gawns stats old dee, but going on how he played last year up forward, & especially surprising out around half-forward clunking marks whilst mobile. I think his potential for us is exciting. thats all, but he is still only 22Yrs, & Spence is a very raw 24 Yr old.

They're still developing/learning. I think Spence will come in later in the season, & do a heavy bangup job.

I will admit bias I know his family in QLD and like the kid.

Yes, and he deserves his contract but it is as depth.

His start to the year was good, and his desire and acceptance to play injured until Jamar came back was selfless and admirable but Gawn is streeting past him as the second ruck option.

If Spencer is 'Jamar insurance' that is smart, but that is all I see right now.

• Like 1

Yes, and he deserves his contract but it is as depth.

His start to the year was good, and his desire and acceptance to play injured until Jamar came back was selfless and admirable but Gawn is streeting past him as the second ruck option.

If Spencer is 'Jamar insurance' that is smart, but that is all I see right now.

I know for a fact in the last two games he played, his ankle was heavily strapped and he was jabbed up, to perform how he did is a credit to him, also listen to what Roos' has said "you need a ruck departrment these days", Jake seems to have been around for ages, but he is still only 25, so he could see out another 5 years

• Like 5

Think of Jake's salary as the insurance premium on Max's knee.

Rucks take a long time to build up so not surprised Jake signed up considering King's 1st year and Jamar's age.

Spencer will always be a back up ruck and payed accordingly but he is ready to go if Gawn and Jamar can't go.

Would like to look for another ruck project in the draft though.

Anybody else get the feeling the club might be trying to build momentum to get a big crowd on QB, so will announce another couple of signings in the next 2 days..?

Funny I had the same feeling.

McDonald would be nice.