Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What do we do with Grimes?

Persevere. He makes poor decisions at times, but he tackles well, runs hard and is a good reader of the play. I think supporters are needlessly harsh on him.

I'm confident the one or two poor mistakes a game can be eradicated from his game.

As Dermot & Tony Shaw said during the telecast - a few of our players need to better learn when to pull the trigger in terms of selecting an option, and while it's an issue, it's one that is solved relatively easily in comparison to other problems.

We persevere because of all the other attributes Grimes brings to the table.

It's not like the alternatives clearly excel in the same facet of their game.

• Like 1

This is garbage. He is not going to be dropped from the side. The only changes that get made are ones that genuinely improve the side; there is not a player better than Jack Grimes kicking around in the VFL, full stop.

didn't suggest their was, just suggested that just because he was captain didn't make him immune to critics of his form, i am concerned that because he is captain he is trying to do to much, and that's leading to errors, still has plenty of work to do.

If Grimes was not captain I'm sure he would just be a yoyo player coming in and out of the side as required. It would be hard to drop a captain after steady improvement by the team as whole. I sort of compare him with Cheney at Hawthorn. Can be relied to do a job as required but never an automatic selection. I see that as Grimes fate next season unless he goes the next step and becomes a more composed player.

I'd rather Cheney, at least he can hit a target.

Actually Cheney looks pretty good by foot these days.

Grimes issue isn't just disposal - but also decision making.

Toumpas in for Grimes next week.

i think we persevere. I though he played alright.

Trengove and Grimes, tarred with the same captaincy Brush, given far to early and as we saw last year, the only thing getting both a game was the captaincy!

Time to make a few courageous decisions re list management I think!

I am glad I am not the only one questioning him. Every time he has the ball I tense up not knowing where its going - I imagine he feels the same way. He's ok at the defensive stuff but his offensive work is not good enough if we want to climb the ladder. But who replaces him ? My guess is he's on the cusp and there maybe better options come trade time.

But it was a great effort today from the group and we continue to build respect in this cut throat competition.

• Like 1

Trengove and Grimes, tarred with the same captaincy Brush, given far to early and as we saw last year, the only thing getting both a game was the captaincy!

Where is the courage in that?

You've got no idea.

Look at what Roos has done with other players that have underperformed.

How have you not figured it out yet?

Where is the courage in that?

You've got no idea.

Look at what Roos has done with other players that have underperformed.

How have you not figured it out yet?

Yes Roosy has has turned players around, Grimes is not one of them!

Put on the trade table I think!

Edited by picket fence

Yes Roosy has has turned players around, Grimes is not one of them!

Put on the trade table I think!

I don't believe Grimes has been so bad we should talk about trading him, tidy up some of his decision making and he will be fine, and we know Trenners has carried a very serious injury, see how he goes next year

trading either wouldn't be brave, it would be silly imo unless we got offered a crazy good deal

My concern is he has been making one or two mistakes a game for 4 years. He does not tackle well or break tackles well, he lacks serious body strength. Defends well on the lead and one one one and has some courage but that is all. Persevere for now but there will come a time soon if we are to move upward where he will not be in the side unless something seriously changes.

He's 25 years old ffs. We're not talking about someone learning the game. These are arguably his best years.

He does it on a weekly basis. Terrible decisions. Terrible execution. He and Terlich are momentum killers and good sides don't carry players like that.

I don't know what to do with him. He's captain and he isn't being dropped. We just have to live with it for the time being.

To me, these two posts sum it up perfectly.
Grimes has been making the same mistakes and has had the same flaws for 6 years. He's physically underdeveloped, his decision making is as bad as anyone's in our side, and he's a terrible, terrible kick of the ball.
His best games are fantastic and add a lot of value to the side (think back to his work in the win in Adelaide) but those games, rather than being the norm, are becoming the exceptions to the general trend of mediocrity.

This is garbage. He is not going to be dropped from the side. The only changes that get made are ones that genuinely improve the side; there is not a player better than Jack Grimes kicking around in the VFL, full stop.

But what if there was Nasher? What happens if/when Kent gets back to the form he had early on in the year? Or if Strauss/Blease/McKenzie/Riley can push their stocks further up? Then what?

• Like 3

Are you joking? You do realise Jimmy played, as the sub, in today's match?

At least Grimes can apply defensive pressure and regularly not show incredible laziness at the contest.

I particularly enjoyed the 1 tackle he laid.

I hypothesised in the game thread that he was NQR. He wasn't just poor, he was awful all day. Perhaps the travel didn't agree with him.

I won't give up on him just yet....

But hes a liability with the ball - hes good without but i cringe everytime he or Terlich touch the ball...

Terlich seems to be improving somewhat in the past few weeks though - both still make glarring errors

To me, these two posts sum it up perfectly.

Grimes has been making the same mistakes and has had the same flaws for 6 years. He's physically underdeveloped, his decision making is as bad as anyone's in our side, and he's a terrible, terrible kick of the ball.

His best games are fantastic and add a lot of value to the side (think back to his work in the win in Adelaide) but those games, rather than being the norm, are becoming the exceptions to the general trend of mediocrity.

But what if there was Nasher? What happens if/when Kent gets back to the form he had early on in the year? Or if Strauss/Blease/McKenzie/Riley can push their stocks further up? Then what?

Titan, I'm a fan of yours so I'm trying very hard not to be a dick about this, but the idea that any of Strauss, Blease etc would push Grimes out of the side is laughable. Kent is not a contender for the same role.

Look, I know I'm coming across as overly defensive. I don't love Grimes, and was livid at that centering kick to a player under pressure on the HBF. He needs to improve. But he does have redeeming attributes, and the criticism just goes way over the top.

I'm more than happy for him to be replaced by a better player, I just think that player isn't on the list.

• Like 2

What Grimes does not a lot of others on our list can do. Could Blease,Tappy,Strauss,Evans or Alex G read the play the play like Grimes does? I doubt it. He finds space and the ball without his direct opponent getting too many touches. His problem is obvious. His disposal is woeful. Maybe he should be instructed to go for the simple safe kick down the line.

• Like 1

Titan, I'm a fan of yours so I'm trying very hard not to be a [censored] about this, but the idea that any of Strauss, Blease etc would push Grimes out of the side is laughable. Kent is not a contender for the same role.

Look, I know I'm coming across as overly defensive. I don't love Grimes, and was livid at that centering kick to a player under pressure on the HBF. He needs to improve. But he does have redeeming attributes, and the criticism just goes way over the top.

I'm more than happy for him to be replaced by a better player, I just think that player isn't on the list.

Why is it 'laughable'? Right now of course not, but who is saying right now that Blease or Strauss or McKenzie should come in for him? No one (I don't think).

We're not halfway into the season yet though. Those VFL players may not improve, which makes the point redundant, but we'd all love to see them push their claims, and what happens if/when they do? Grimes' AFL trajectory has flatlined over the last year or two. If we get some players who can up their form (no guarantee, but let's hope), whether it's Blease, Strauss, McKenzie, Kent, or anyone else, Grimes' position simply has to come into question the way he is playing.

His redeeming features are good enough, but as I said earlier, we don't see them enough and we see the faults more than we should be at this stage.

• Like 1

Grimes apart from poor decision making cannot win one on one contests he is too skinny and timid always have been has always lacked body strength

Mark his card for mine.

I'll preface by saying I know little of today.

A handful of years back two blokes came to us and showed a bit . Jack Trengove and Jack Grimes. Both were illuminating.

Today. JT struggles with injuries and JG struggles period.

Both CAN play. What to do with Grimes...?

back to the Magoos son and relearn your way. I cant think of anything else.

We need our best 22 on the park and I just dont think hes really in that ...now

edit..Best 22 ROLE players. Grimes doesnt do his role too well currently

Edited by beelzebub

Grimes has always been the Turnover king.

I sat amongst the group of Dees supporters in bay M36.

Against the Toiges last week, he was one that could have made the win a defeat.

They were all up my arse.

This week I think he definitely stopped us being in front with 5

min to go.

I don't know the answer, but the answer is NOT Grimes.

• Like 1

People saying he's done or we should trade him are kidding themselves. Thought he was poor today because he turned it over so often. Although was he on Wingard? I'm not sure if he was because Wingard was barely sighted.

No issue with his work rate, defensive skills and effort, he just makes shocking decisions. Needs to play with more instinct and stop trying to pinpoint 10 metre kicks in dangerous areas. Get the ball moving forward Jack!

• Like 1