Can we beat Port Adelaide?

Nunce

Our midfield shutdown mode will put the pressure on them,they wont like being put to multiple stoppages.

they rely on run and midfield goals with shultz being their only forward target.

their backline recieves a lot of help from the mids.

yep,i think we are in with a shot at this.

DEES by 23 points.

• Like 2

I'd be disappointed if it was a reality check game having said that I don't think it will, I think they'll be switched on especially seeing Richmond lost after the bye. Port look extremely quick and as others have said turnovers will cost and I don't think we can kick enough goals.

• Like 1

Who is going to kick our goals? Realistically I think this will be a "reality check" game which isn't such a bad thing if it gives us a boot up the arse for the next fortnight against the Pies and Bombers.

Dawes is a massive out. Melbourne have struggled to score goals as is, not sure where they will come from on the weekend.

Dawes didn't kick a goal in his last game for us. We will have Watts, Pedersen, Gawn and Frawley forward, so I'm comfortable enough that we can cover Dawes for one week.

We can and will

Thanks HH, that's just stuffed our chance good and proper.

Dawes didn't kick a goal in his last game for us. We will have Watts, Pedersen, Gawn and Frawley forward, so I'm comfortable enough that we can cover Dawes for one week.

Actually...

And it's more the confidence he brings to the those ahead - "kick it to me and it won't come straight back out at you!"

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 2

Thanks HH, that's just stuffed our chance good and proper.

Actually...

And it's more the confidence he brings to the those ahead - "kick it to me and it won't come straight back out at you!"

This is THE day for Jack Watts to stamp his name on the game - Jack, you will have to be Dawsey for a week. May enjoy it and become accustomed to it.

Interesting one, we should be getting to the point where we all should be thinking we can beat Port or anyone, but obviously the scars of the past seasons are still with many of us.

I would like to think that reality check games are behind us and we can challenge anyone if we stick to our guns.

That said I think Port has the game style that will cause us most trouble but am still buoyant about our chances and will be for every game from here on as we will only grow from here.

This is the great thing about how we are currently tracking as no one could have felt that way for the best part of a decade.

I LOVE how our team changed this year.

Love to look forward to each match for a change, knowing something interesting may happen.

I feel the love vibe on demonland too with more sympatico posts.

..to the point I barely feel need to say, to have a chance in 5, Port'll have to have popped their celebratory corks before the game starts and we'll have to be ready to kill. Otherwise it'll be a shellacking. though likely somewhere in between such as Port by 39.

Not convinced Port are the real deal. Playing great footy at the moment at the portress but like every other team they will find it hard to maintain their current form.

We need to play ugly footy and we may be a chance. Roos certainly knows how to make a team play ugly.

Dees by 3.

• Like 1

Who is going to kick our goals? Realistically I think this will be a "reality check" game which isn't such a bad thing if it gives us a boot up the arse for the next fortnight against the Pies and Bombers.

mmmm whos gonna kick goals?

port,dont really have a tall backline,its midfield covers the gaps,interesting question you have .

last week a BIG ugly fella took some fair grabs in the first half that bought change to richmonds backline structure.was hoping something similar would happen this week against a poorer backline.

We can and will

Gee I sure hope you are right. I think they'll be a bit slick for us at this stage. There is a real lot to like about Port the way they play.They'd have to be way off their game and we'd have to be at our absolute best. But, in a two horse race anything is possible.

Gee I sure hope you are right. I think they'll be a bit slick for us at this stage. There is a real lot to like about Port the way they play.They'd have to be way off their game and we'd have to be at our absolute best. But, in a two horse race anything is possible.

Law of averages says such an event has to be getting closer.

Of course we can. As I ha e posted elsewhere on here we are potentially on a 1987 style roll. This may be the start for several reasons:

1. Port are due for an unexpected loss. That is our specialty. Look at the way we swung the three clubs we beat into media manufactured crisis just because melbourne beat them. It was the end of the world for all of them. Nothing to do with the MFC good play of course.and that is the rub. We continue to be underestimated and long may it continue, it gives us a great chance to sneak up on these f**kers.

2. We have a good record in the top end particularly against Port,

3. We play a similar brand of football, and a few of us have a lot to prove against them, viz Jack Viney who I have no doubt would absolutely love to show his great friend Ollie Wines that the future is his, not Ollie's;

4.our rucks are better, particularly with big max hitting his straps;and

5. We are due.....

Many will say this is wishful thinking: maybe it is, but let's go for it anyway.

Go Dees!

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 2

Can't see it happening at all but loving the fact that we can now dare to dream again

Ah Pauly boy :wub:

well we have a great record in the Alice so we are surely a chance. Haven't lost there in years from memory. :)

in all seriousness, if we had Dawes and Hogan and it was played at the G, I'd be thinking we are a big chance. But I can't see this one happening, unless we make it an almighty ugly scrap of a game with less than 6 goals in the first half. I'll be more looking at how we go about it and counter their attacking style. are we gonna switch off and concede 7+ goals in one quarter?

well we have a great record in the Alice so we are surely a chance. Haven't lost there in years from memory. :)

in all seriousness, if we had Dawes and Hogan and it was played at the G, I'd be thinking we are a big chance. But I can't see this one happening, unless we make it an almighty ugly scrap of a game with less than 6 goals in the first half. I'll be more looking at how we go about it and counter their attacking style. are we gonna switch off and concede 7+ goals in one quarter?

Exactly, considering Ports form I'll be happy if we can restrict their scoring ability moreso than being able to outscore them ourselves.

Yeah Dawes only kicked 1 last week but that was against a poorer opponent and his presence gives our forwards some structure to allow the other guys to take advantage and kick their goals. His loss is more pronounced than merely looking at the goals he would've kicked himself.

I hope we put in a good show and definitely think we can win, I just don't think we will. I'm probably still a bit hesitant to see how far the improvement has come; as good as we've been so far we haven't really been measured against the best sides - haven't played Hawthorn, Port, Geelong, Collingwood or Freo yet.

• Like 1

This will be a big test for our defence. 1) Can our midfield apply enough pressure to impact on the delivery to their forwards? 2) Can we keep Jay and Chad quiet? They are the game breakers.

I think we'll go down by about 6 goals.

This will be a big test for our defence. 1) Can our midfield apply enough pressure to impact on the delivery to their forwards? 2) Can we keep Jay and Chad quiet? They are the game breakers.

I think we'll go down by about 6 goals.

Thoughts on Garland getting first crack?

• Like 1