Changes for next week...

Maldonboy - I haven't seen much Byrnes hate in this thread, just a general preference for Kent.

Nasher, it is a general Demonland thing. So many comments about him being VFL standard, list clogger etc... It is amazing that Roos simply keeps playing him while so many are calling for him to be dropped. I am by no means his biggest fan and do think his position seems up for grabs, but he is not as hopeless as many believe.

• Like 1

Reckon Roos gives "certain" players a few weeks to prove themselves - blocks of say, 3-4 games and if they show something, they stay. Obviously, there's a few playing at Casey in that same category so it may just come down to rotating a few in and out over a 3/4 week period.

Almost all of those who were down against Sydney, did well yesterday (Dawes, Bail, Terlich, Watts, Howe and Jetta) Giving players a chance to redeem themselves is refreshing to see. That can work in a twofold positive manner - the player gets the chance to reward the coach's faith and by doing so, the coach then starts to have more faith in said player. Our players are starting to develop certain roles within the side and because of that, the trust in each other is prevalent. Still a ways to go though.

A lot will depend on the progress of Toumpas, Garland, Kent, Clisby and Riley but unless there's an injury, I can see another "no change" scenario. It was a very good team effort yesterday and for that reason, you'd be loathe to make any changes.

• Like 1

If Garland went OK at Casey he'd be a certain in for Boy George who looked liked he needs a health break. Talk about Viney being suspended disturbs me. If he goes for that bump then we are playing a game I'm not familiar with and, one that I'm not certain I could continue to follow.

• Like 2

There are a few guys who would be considered automatic selections normally who are waiting int he wings right now, but why would you change the team that won in Adelaide for the first time in twelve years?

If Viney goes out we bring in one of the mids, otherwise no change.

Frawley looking in doubt for next week, but hey it's just a inter-club match anyways so who cares!

MELBOURNE forward James Frawley is in doubt for the Demons clash against the Demons after playing through a toe injury against Adelaide.

He had scans on Sunday, with captain Jack Grimes still confident he would recover quickly.

“He jarred his toe and was able to keep playing the game. The physios put them in a moon boot and it looks like overkill. He said after the game it was pretty sore but he thinks he will be right for this week,’’ he told 3AW.

IN- Gawn - stretch their back line and tag team minson

Garland - straight swap for georgio

OUT- georgio - don't think he will get up from concussion

Frawley - injury

Nasher, it is a general Demonland thing. So many comments about him being VFL standard, list clogger etc... It is amazing that Roos simply keeps playing him while so many are calling for him to be dropped. I am by no means his biggest fan and do think his position seems up for grabs, but he is not as hopeless as many believe.

Why do you think Roos keeps dropping him or subbing him?

Byrnes is all of the above. Ask a rival fan their opinion on Shannon Byrnes. They'll think he retired after Geelong or laugh at you.

Can't get space on a lead and mark. Is only average defensively and work rate wise. Fumbles. Poor skills and decision making. Probably his strength is he gets to the right spots.

He's in the team because we've run out of fit and capable forwards/mids. Salem needs a preseason and then he's straight passed Byrnes. JKH is streets ahead of him. Kent in his games looked much better than him.

I don't hate Byrnes. And I do think he needs to play over throwing in Salem or giving the ungrateful Blease another go. Kent earning his spot after a calf injury is sensible as well. But that doesn't mean he's not a rubbish player.

• Like 1

But that doesn't mean he's not a rubbish player.

I thought you were above the above.

Take his spot, that's all Roos is saying to the group of players you think should be there.

If he is rubbish, what are they?

I'm too tall to play Fwd Pocket but it, with CHF, is the toughest spot on the ground to play - get it the right spot, take the half second opportunity and you do your job. Do it three times, and you have had a good game. Miss the spot or the shot and your a waste of a spot.

Play the position in a team that averages 35 inside 50s and you are on a hiding to nothing, and seeing nothing but hidings...

I don't jibe with this 'he won't be around for much longer' stuff, neither will Cross, nor Jamar. But they are the best options for this team in the roles they play for us to win right now.

Let's do that.

Now, I am sure that Byrnes' position is under threat after a few apparently played well in the VFL, but whoever takes his spot won't be taking out the trash. They will win their position and be in form and play his role better than he has.

That's it.

• Like 3

Frawley looking in doubt for next week, but hey it's just a inter-club match anyways so who cares!

MELBOURNE forward James Frawley is in doubt for the Demons clash against the Demons after playing through a toe injury against Adelaide.

He had scans on Sunday, with captain Jack Grimes still confident he would recover quickly.

“He jarred his toe and was able to keep playing the game. The physios put them in a moon boot and it looks like overkill. He said after the game it was pretty sore but he thinks he will be right for this week,’’ he told 3AW.

"jarred his toe"!! Is this for real? Jimmy Stynes played (in the ruck) with broken ribs and was one of our best. Sore toe!!! FMD!!!!

"jarred his toe"!! Is this for real? Jimmy Stynes played (in the ruck) with broken ribs and was one of our best. Sore toe!!! FMD!!!!

Last I checked you didn't have to run on your ribs nor kick with them...

• Like 2

I thought you were above the above.

Take his spot, that's all Roos is saying to the group of players you think should be there.

If he is rubbish, what are they?

I'm too tall to play Fwd Pocket but it, with CHF, is the toughest spot on the ground to play - get it the right spot, take the half second opportunity and you do your job. Do it three times, and you have had a good game. Miss the spot or the shot and your a waste of a spot.

Play the position in a team that averages 35 inside 50s and you are on a hiding to nothing, and seeing nothing but hidings...

I don't jibe with this 'he won't be around for much longer' stuff, neither will Cross, nor Jamar. But they are the best options for this team in the roles they play for us to win right now.

Let's do that.

Now, I am sure that Byrnes' position is under threat after a few apparently played well in the VFL, but whoever takes his spot won't be taking out the trash. They will win their position and be in form and play his role better than he has.

That's it.

Salem - not fit enough for repeat efforts at AFL footy

Kent - coming back from injury + injury interrupted first preseason

Blease - trash, now moved to half back at VFL level

Evans - midfielder but in his only full game v GWS was on level with Byrnes.

I understand how difficult it is for small forwards in this team. 15 possessions is a good effort. Byrnes can get those 15. But he does nothing with them. Doesn't have strength to really lay big tackles. Doesn't take marks. And as I said fumbles and makes bad decisions. If you can't see Byrnes is way past it then I don't know what games you've been watching.

• Like 1

I doubt we'll see Georgiou next week, given the concussion and Roos' post-match comment that he needs a rest.

im sure Roos said he was substituted due to him running out of legs, rather than concussion.

As he has played every game including pre-season in his first year.

With this being the case im sure if Garland is ready to go and sounds like he got through the game well today, that its a given

they will rest Georgiou and bring in Garland.

Re-watching the game Byrnes was better than given credit and dropping is not deserved so until someone bangs the door down he stays. Assuming Frawley is fine I would swap Garland for Georgiou and that is it.

Agree totally. No changes needed unless injury dictates. Reward the incumbent and let the rest bang the door down. Byrnes, IMO, contributed to the win as much as anyone. His forward pressure was amazing.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Clisby given his chance. I know Terlich is growing a fanbase on here but his kicking is very ordinary to put it mildly, and by the sounds Clisby has put his hand up for a number of weeks. Roos sticking fat is paying off, but likewise you'd like to see reward for performances in the twos.

Garland is the other more obvious in for Georgiou, who might be looking at a rest coming up.

Byrnes did enough to keep his spot.

Out: Georgiou, Terlich

In: Garland, Clisby

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

did you actually read what i wrote? Re-read it. No wait, i'll re-post it here for you:

Riley/Toumpas/Blease/Kent/ (whoever plays well in VFL) for Byrnes.

Byrnes perhaps stiff, as i didn't think he was that bad, but he isn't the future for us where others kids who are ready will be.

Yes I read what you wrote so Byrnes is not the future, is Crossy. Which part of Roos numerous times stating very clearly games will no longer be gifted to young draftees did you not understand

Roos is instilling confidence by developing a winning culture, with a side going into every game expecting to win

Age is no longer relevant, just do the non negotiables

Players can develop in the VFL, he understands this as does Chris Scott and Alistair Clarkson

Byrnes does what is asked of him and will continue to play whilst he does this.

It is what Roos did in Sydney and what he will do here. Players will earn their spots and we can see they wont be dropped for the odd off game.

No more change for changes sake and some of our younger players may just have to play 20-30 games at Casey till the opportunity arises and once it comes grab it - that is culture.

• Like 2

Yes I read what you wrote so Byrnes is not the future, is Crossy. Which part of Roos numerous times stating very clearly games will no longer be gifted to young draftees did you not understand

Roos is instilling confidence by developing a winning culture, with a side going into every game expecting to win

Age is no longer relevant, just do the non negotiables

Players can develop in the VFL, he understands this as does Chris Scott and Alistair Clarkson

Byrnes does what is asked of him and will continue to play whilst he does this.

It is what Roos did in Sydney and what he will do here. Players will earn their spots and we can see they wont be dropped for the odd off game.

No more change for changes sake and some of our younger players may just have to play 20-30 games at Casey till the opportunity arises and once it comes grab it - that is culture.

you make a fair point.

Bynes out Clisby/Toumpas in.

tumblr_lpod8i8Xj21qaliojo1_500.gif

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

you make a fair point.

Song I don't know you from a bar of soap, and I am not judging you but when I got on here this morning and saw Byrnes name my first thought in all honesty was FMD just a lazy post, as we generally see posters calling for Byrnes, Bail, Jetta and Terlich (I am guilty of that one myself) to be dropped

Byrnes is no world beater but he is an honest footballer and knows a lot about the team ethos and will have I am sure sat down with the FD in the off season and been told this is what we want from you this year while we develop the younger guys. They would not have promised him with any amount of games, and I would assume he gave his assurance to play another year at least to help out the club.

I get sick of people posting the same names to be dropped without thought of their role in the team, I would have dropped Watts on last weeks effort but Roos has the great ability to get the best out of players and I was really impressed in the way everybody stood up yesterday. To me we looked like I side you wouldn't look forward to playing because you know they wouldn't leave anything out there.

Roos hasn't just talked the talk, he has made minimal changes and I believe yesterday the faith he has shown in the players was repaid and I hope it continues, yes we will have ups and downs but I hope what we saw yesterday becomes more consistent.

• Like 2

Song I don't know you from a bar of soap, and I am not judging you but when I got on here this morning and saw Byrnes name my first thought in all honesty was FMD just a lazy post, as we generally see posters calling for Byrnes, Bail, Jetta and Terlich (I am guilty of that one myself) to be dropped

Byrnes is no world beater but he is an honest footballer and knows a lot about the team ethos and will have I am sure sat down with the FD in the off season and been told this is what we want from you this year while we develop the younger guys. They would not have promised him with any amount of games, and I would assume he gave his assurance to play another year at least to help out the club.

I get sick of people posting the same names to be dropped without thought of their role in the team, I would have dropped Watts on last weeks effort but Roos has the great ability to get the best out of players and I was really impressed in the way everybody stood up yesterday. To me we looked like I side you wouldn't look forward to playing because you know they wouldn't leave anything out there.

Roos hasn't just talked the talk, he has made minimal changes and I believe yesterday the faith he has shown in the players was repaid and I hope it continues, yes we will have ups and downs but I hope what we saw yesterday becomes more consistent.

I know dude, when I said "you make a fair point" I was being sincere as you really did, and you made me see differently on the lil man.

I was just being a smart ass after because that is sadly how I get my kicks in life.

from what roosy said in his post match wouldnt be surprised if georgeiou misses and garland would be the logical replacement

any other changes would have to be based on how watts/frawley come up

cant see how viney would miss as his bump was shoulder to shoulder