Post match discussion - Round 7

Demonland

If chip is out I expect it will be Garland in and Dunn forward.

I agree. Before this injury I was flirting with the idea of Frawley back and Dunn forward anyway. I realise Dunn has been crucial, in defence, but I think he is a smarter forward than Chip, so would probably be able to deliver more consistently.

Dunn needed in two ends of the field, eh? Gone are the days of moving him all over the field to try and make something of him. Maybe Daniher and Bailey had it right and actually helped him with all the shuffling.

If chip is out I expect it will be Garland in and Dunn forward.

your old picture was much more appreciated.

dunny looks like he is enjoying his footy.

From The Age '...Tom Lynch expected to miss six matches after having his jaw broken in an accidental and sickening collision during the first quarter, and fears that defender Matthew Jaensch has broken ribs!'

I guess this means our 'Bruise-Free' playing days are over!

??? Final-E footy is coming on, slowly.

Dunn was good in the first half, but Jenkins got him in the second and he started making crazy decisions regarding the boundary line. The boundary is not to be flirted with Dunny!

I wonder how much of Frawley is due to him carrying something and also having a very good player in Talia on him combined with not actually being a forward, he really doesn't read the play that well.

If Garland brings a bit more class and composure down back it makes sense to move Frawley back as well and then have Dunn who actually can be a smart forward playing forward. Now that hopefully our defenders are in with a chance and not being bombarded it would allow Frawley to play some of his better footy down back. Plus he's got Jack Riewoldt in 2 weeks.

thats dunny's weakness. can be iffy under the pump. either down back or up front going for a mark. gotta get the footsteps out of his head.

he's improving.

Just finished watching the replay, some thoughts:

Kennedy-Harris wins way more one-on-one contests than a 7-game, 68-kilo player should. So often he'd find a way to get hands on the ball and move it on with a clean disposal to a teammate's advantage. Impossible to overstate how impressed I was with him.

Grimes and Howe worked beautifully zoning off their men and taking those intercept marks. TMac would've been loving it. When (if?) Frawley goes back he'll find playing in defence in a team that works hard for each other a very different (and hopefully much more enjoyable) prospect than it has been for the last few years.

Dawes is basically co-captain in my mind right now. So important for us … and now he's fit, we're seeing more evidence of the premiership winning KPP he truly is.

Viney and Tyson are fantastic in the middle of packs, Tyson flicks it out with his hands, Viney just bulldozes through. I know it's jumping the gun, but some of Viney's 'wade into a pack, pick up the ball, shove off an opponent, run away for a clean possession' moments remind me of early Judd. (Also like the way Bail, of all people, is finding a knack for scything through a pack like it's made of butter and running out clean on the other side. More please, Rohan!)

Cross proves himself a brilliant pick-up each and every week. What a great example to have present for all the young blokes. From the looks of things he may have taken McKenzie's job? Shame for Jordie, but Cross will hurt teams a lot more by finding a bit of his own ball as well.

• Like 5

I actually think Byrne is be a little maligned in this thread...he may not have won a lot of possessions, but in the last quarter when it counted, he held the ball in our attacking half. Not a brilliant game, but an important one all the same. Definitely not as bad as some make out.

some were saying yesterday during the game that Jetta was useless & had to go???

I think their views are still looking for a clean pair of heels streeming down an Open wing with the pill. not used to watching a player being responsible for his opponent, stopping them from opening us up down the middle.

we are only just starting to see Nev's footy. there is a lot more to come from Jetta in the future.

• Like 1

I said it after the GC game but the thing I admired about the swans under Roos was the way they'd not concede too many goals and just hang in there while the other team had momentum. It's early days but we are showing some preliminary signs of that.

It's such a change from years gone by. Listening to that last quarter where they continued to get inside 50, but they couldn't mark the ball or get meaningful shots on goal; that would have done us in the last 7 years, but the new Melbourne is able to weather a storm like that.

In a lot of our games our opponents have been inaccurate which has led people to say 'well it was a close loss, but if they'd kicked straight'. In our last five games, GWS, Carlton, Gold Coast, Sydney, and now Adelaide have all kicked more behinds than goals. Once is just a coincidence, but five weeks in a row suggests to me that the inaccuracy is coming from rushed shots, perceived and real pressure, and being forced wider rather than having it easy down the corridor.

It's this pressure and difficulty to score and play against that is making us a far stronger and better team.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 5

Agreed - I have been calling for Byrnes to be dropped for a while but there really wasn't anyone to bring in.

I think we will see either one or no changes - no changes would be a big statement from Roo's. Would show he backs this group of players.

As much as I would love Roos to make that statement I would also like to see a few play AFL: Garland, Gawn, Riley, Kent, Toumpas, Strauss/Clisby,

We still have AFL quality players to come in but how many people can you drop after a game like that?

Roos did say Georgiou was tired after 7 rounds (big step up from SNAFL or whatever) - so that could be a change without emission (call it rest).

Outs:

Georgiou - rest

Byrnes - for the simple fact we have better players

Ins:

Garland - providing he shows form at casey

Riley/Kent/Toumpas - depending on VFL form

Tempting to also bring in Strauss/Clisby so Howe can go back to the forward - for a game where we expect to get decent i50's and now have 2 key forwards (Howe would now be the 3rd tall)

I think it sounds like Frawls will be injured with his toe.

and maybe Georgiou with head knock.

like everyone else, I think Garlo should be ready next week.

& maybe Spencer, Gawn or Fitz could come in, allowing a tall up front, & 2nd ruck

Just finished watching the replay, some thoughts:

Kennedy-Harris wins way more one-on-one contests than a 7-game, 68-kilo player should. So often he'd find a way to get hands on the ball and move it on with a clean disposal to a teammate's advantage. Impossible to overstate how impressed I was with him.

Grimes and Howe worked beautifully zoning off their men and taking those intercept marks. TMac would've been loving it. When (if?) Frawley goes back he'll find playing in defence in a team that works hard for each other a very different (and hopefully much more enjoyable) prospect than it has been for the last few years.

Dawes is basically co-captain in my mind right now. So important for us … and now he's fit, we're seeing more evidence of the premiership winning KPP he truly

Viney and Tyson are fantastic in the middle of packs, Tyson flicks it out with his hands, Viney just bulldozes through. I know it's jumping the gun, but some of Viney's 'wade into a pack, pick up the ball, shove off an opponent, run away for a clean possession' moments remind me of early Judd. (Also like the way Bail, of all people, is finding a knack for scything through a pack like it's made of butter and running out clean on the other side. More please, Rohan!)

Cross proves himself a brilliant pick-up each and every week. What a great example to have present for all the young blokes. From the looks of things he may have taken McKenzie's job? Shame for Jordie, but Cross will hurt teams a lot more by finding a bit of his own ball as well.

You've stolen some of my thoughts, bananas. Impossible to get overexcited about JKH. He has generational abilities, that just can't be taught. He has elite reading of the play, elite agility, and elite decision making. His disposal for a 7 game player is very good. I'm convinced he's going to be a superstar. And I mean A-grade elite.

Viney's bash and crash is also enormously rare, and more importantly is a standard setter for the entire team.

Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this.....Bail and Pederson may be AFL standard.

• Like 4

I love it that we actually give the ball off and then shepherd now.

this is so laughably sad, because it is something we have never done yet it is a fundamental of the game that you learn in Auskick. What a sorry state we were in, and i use the word were intentionally as i feel FINALLY we are on track to get out of the poop.

• Like 2

I'll post my thoughts then read the thread.

Viney. Over the last few years I've grown to hate player comparisons, and this one will be as ridiculous as most of them, but geez Jack Viney reminds me of Ablett Jr sometimes. His strength and evasiveness and bursts from congestion are so Ablett-like, similar body shape.

If Ablett had Viney's hard as [censored] aggression he'd be nearly as good, lolz.

Tyson, if he could only kick like Pendlebury...

Love this trade though. Salem is a [censored] gem.

JKH. Thought he might be about due for a rest. Nah I'll just go to Adelaide where we haven't won since they erected their first church and run the show. Such a classy, mature performance.

Hope everyone is happy that the players got around him after that goal, crisis over.

Dawesy! The beast. Filling Clark's spiritual leader shoes. What a friggin presence. The bumps and pressure were as crucial as the goals.

He, Cross, Jones are football heads that can actually lead and help develop the young talent we may have. Skills can be hit and miss, but effort and desire are up to the player, and there are no better examples to follow than these fellows. I'm slowly starting to believe in a future.

Cross made a couple of costly turn overs, but christ is hard. Some of his attack on the ball was frightening. Love him.

Thought Howe and Watts bounced back well after embarrassing us all last week. Howe especially, some crucial saving marks and efforts on and off the ball.

Starting to think Roos might know more about footy than I do.

Jamar. I believe Roos may have told him that he has a foot, in fact 2 feet, and he can use one of these feet to strike the ball, thrusting it many metres in a desired direction. Jamar applied this practice quite a few times. This was refreshing.

In all seriousness though, Jamar has returned very well and we've looked way better in the ruck since.

And finally my boy Jetta.

I know he will probably never reach lofty heights, but he's a competitor and works hard, deserves some success at least, and he gave Eduardo a bath and won't be out of the team any time soon. Excellent game.

Go you [censored] Demons!

• Like 10

Cross is one player that gives me a smirk of smug satisfaction. I know the Bulldogs took the view that he was down their list of this type of player, but it's not hard to see why their supporters were shattered. The guy is just manic, don't think I've ever seen a player lunge desperately for the ball so often as he does. He's not a polished finisher, but I doubt anyone expected he would be and that's not what he's there for.

Vince got his revenge this week, time for Cross to show them they were wrong too.

Edited by Nasher
typos and grammar. "smart" phone.
  • Like 9

Forgot the importance of next week for Crossy. I reckon we'll get over the line, especially after the disappointment of not going back to back wins against the Suns.

Wow, to be 3-5 in round 8, that would be amazing.

Many great performances but one that was less noticeable but really important in the win was Grimes. Barely put a foot wrong, no clangers this week, competed and competed, made a game saving spoil against Dangerfield and is rapidly becoming The General of the backline. Becoming the on-field captain to match his much lauded, off-field captaincy feats!

Roos didn't single him out but Grimes and our backline really stood up yesterday!

• Like 4