• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FIFTY YEARS AGO

Whispering_Jack

The 1964 VFL season opened on the equivalent Saturday fifty years ago - the exact date was 18 April, 1964.

Melbourne had finished third the previous year after losing to the eventual runners up Hawthorn on preliminary final day. The Demons beat the Cats in both end of season exhibition games in Honolulu and San Francisco and the rivalry was tested again in the opening round of the new season on 18 April, 1964 before a crowd 66,250 at the MCG.

It was a close encounter for most of the game before the more accurate visitors drew ahead in the final quarter. Centreman Hassa Mann was the Demons' best while John Lord kicked four goals. A notable player missing from the Melbourne line up was skipper Ron Barassi who was serving the last game of a suspension for striking Richmond's Roger Dean in the penultimate home and away game of the previous season.

Melbourne 2.4.16 8.7.55 11.11.77 14.13.97

Geelong 2.2.14 8.4.52 12.7.79 17.8.110

THE TEAM

B: Neil Crompton Bernie Massey Len Mann

HB: Tony Anderson Brian Roet Brian Leahy

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

HF: Ray Groom John Lord Barrie Vagg

F: Don Williams Barry Bourke David Robbie

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Bryan Kenneally Ken Emselle

19/20: Bob Miller John Townsend

Goals John Lord 4 Ken Emselle 3 Barry Bourke David Robbie 2, Hassa Mann Barrie Vagg Don Williams 1

Best Hassa Mann John Lord Bryan Kenneally Barrie Vagg Barry Bourke Tony Anderson

Milestone Frank "Bluey" Adams played his 150th game for Melbourne while John "Sammy" Newman made his debut for Geelong.

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Corrected round in which Barassi was reported
  • Like 3

On paper this side has the makings a premership team . ;)

Didnt recall D.Robbie I had to look him up. (Played 21 games in 3 seasons).

Barassi rubbed out as you mentioned, (never touched Dean)

Tassie in the ruck!! Wise must have been out injured.

• Like 1

Spot on, Devoted.

Roger Dean staged when Barassi tackled him. The Ump fell for it, and Barass missed the finals. There went the '63 Premiership. I know I should move on, but I've never forgiven Dean (or Richmond) for that disgrace.

Dean stuck to his story that RDB struck him, Barassi maintained he never laid a finger on him. Such was the big act that Dean threw on, the ump, (as you pointed out) fell for it. It was big news, and the uproar that followed. Years later Dean still reckons Barassi whacked him. I likened it to a soccer player staging.

I'm with you, I can't print my thoughts on Dean. The big girl should have been an actor. Barassi was a rugged and hard player, but didn't go around belting players.

Speaking of soccer http://neososmos.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/game-that-never-happened.html 50 yrs ago.

We gave Geelong a hiding on the return game in '63, now whether we could have gone all the way in '63 is open for debate as Geelong had a strong balanced team. But losing RDB for the finals was widely seen as our chances without him playing going down the drain.

PS: WJ I am not sure where you sourced your info, but it was in Rnd 17 Vs Tiges not the last home game.

Stand corrected on the Richmond game from which Barassi was reported and ultimately suspended.

I always thought that suspension cost us the flag and yes, like many I developed a dislike of Roger Dean and Richmond from that time on.

I would also appreciate links or articles from the time as our 50 year anniversary nears.

Stand corrected on the Richmond game from which Barassi was reported and ultimately suspended.

I always thought that suspension cost us the flag and yes, like many I developed a dislike of Roger Dean and Richmond from that time on.

NP minor detail, but should I bring back the "Who am I" quiz ? lol

I would also appreciate links or articles from the time as our 50 year anniversary nears.

Sorry for being pedantic, but doesn't penultimate mean second last?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2KEfZxwVU

post-265-0-37948800-1367796529_thumb.jpg
post-265-0-04524200-1367796207_thumb.jpg
post-265-0-88423400-1367796197_thumb.jpg
Edited by bush demon

I collected all these guys in my 'footy cards' which were popular at the time. If only l had kept them!

• Like 1

Barassi cops a 4 week suspension. As reported in the paper at the time.

http://s25.postimg.org/chskip9tr/Barassi_Reported.jpg

For those that didnt see the vision, RDB should have been given the benefit of the doubt. Losing Barassi for the finals in '63 was a huge blow.Its all water under the bridge now, but could / should we be aiming for No 14? except for one player not being truthful. Perhaps Dean did feel a fist past his face. (accidental) but if RDB said he didnt, I know who I believe.

• Like 2

Melbourne tasted victory for the first time in 1964 on Anzac Day when it bounced back from its opening round defeat at the hands of the reigning premier Geelong to against North Melbourne by 16 points in front of a crowd of 15,914 at Arden Street.

There was a strong wind blowing down the ground and the Kangaroos led at half time by a goal after both sides had enjoyed the benefit of the breeze. Melbourne capitalised on the elements in the third term but the home side gave itself a chance of winning but that prospect petered out with poor kicking for goal.

Melbourne 4.3.27 5.5.35 10.11.71 11.11.77

North Melbourne 0.1.1 6.5.41 7.5.47 8.13.61

THE TEAM

B: Don Williams Bernie Massey Len Mann

HB: Bob Miller Brian Roet Brian Leahy

C: John Townsend "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Bryan Kenneally Barry Bourke David Robbie

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Ron Barassi Ken Emselle

19/20: Herb Matthews Graham Wise

Goals Ron Barassi 3 Barry Bourke David Robbie 2 Bryan Kenneally John Lord John Townsend Barrie Vagg

Best "Hassa Mann" David Robbie Bryan Kenneally Ron Barassi Brian Leahy John Lord

Milestone Robert Miller celebrated his fiftieth game for the club.

It was fitting that Anzac Day marked the return from suspension of the team's hero, captain and legacy boy Ron Barassi Junior whose father was killed at age 27, in battle for his country at Tobruk in 1941, the first VFL footballer to lose his life in World War 2.

Ron's comeback on Anzac Day was a fine tribute to his fallen father; he kicked three goals and was among his team's best with his usual brand of tough, hard, inspirational play.

To his adoring fans Barassi was a footballing god. The Demons also had John Lord among their better players and, as they staved off one attacking move after another and the hapless Northerners kicked only one major from nine shots at goal in the final stanza, it was clear that on that Anzac Day 50 years ago we had not only The Lord but god on our side ...

Barassi cops a 4 week suspension. As reported in the paper at the time.

http://s25.postimg.org/chskip9tr/Barassi_Reported.jpg

For those that didnt see the vision, RDB should have been given the benefit of the doubt. Losing Barassi for the finals in '63 was a huge blow.Its all water under the bridge now, but could / should we be aiming for No 14? except for one player not being truthful. Perhaps Dean did feel a fist past his face. (accidental) but if RDB said he didnt, I know who I believe.

I think the same thing happened to Neville Crowe in 1967.

Billboard top 10 hits 1964.

1. I want to hold your hand. Beatles

2. She loves you. Beatles

3. Hello dolly. Louis Armstrong

4. Oh pretty woman. Roy Orbison

5. I get around. Beach Boys

6. Everybody loves somebody. Dean Martin

7. My guy. Mary Wells

8. We'll sing in the sunshine. Gale Garnett

9. Last kiss. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers.

10. Where did our love go. The Supremes.

Only the last three hits have had any relevance to us since then.

• Like 1

Fifty years ago today, Melbourne had little trouble in beating Carlton to record its first home win for the season in front of a crowd of 45,495

Melbourne 2.5.17 6.10.46 8.12.60 11.13.79

Carlton 1.1.7 1.3 .9 1.6.12 4.9.33

THE TEAM

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Graeme Watson

HF: Bryan Kenneally John Lord Ray Groom

F: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Graham Wise Ken Emselle

19/20: Barrie Vagg Don Williams

Goalkickers: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke Ken Emselle John Townsend 2 Ray Groom Bryan Kenneally John Lord

Best Don Williams Brian Roet Ken Emselle Ron Barassi Brian Dixon Bernie Massey

Both teams struggled for goals but the Demons at least had a spread of goalkickers while the Blues struggled to kick goals.

Victorian state cricketer Graeme Watson made his debut joining Sheffield Shield teammate Neil Crompton. Watson went on to play test cricket for his country in the following year.

Fifty years ago today, Melbourne had little trouble in beating Carlton to record its first home win for the season in front of a crowd of 45,495

Melbourne 2.5.17 6.10.46 8.12.60 11.13.79

Carlton 1.1.7 1.3 .9 1.6.12 4.9.33

THE TEAM

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Graeme Watson

HF: Bryan Kenneally John Lord Ray Groom

F: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke John Townsend

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Graham Wise Ken Emselle

19/20: Barrie Vagg Don Williams

Goalkickers: Ron Barassi Barry Bourke Ken Emselle John Townsend 2 Ray Groom Bryan Kenneally John Lord

Best Don Williams Brian Roet Ken Emselle Ron Barassi Brian Dixon Bernie Massey

Both teams struggled for goals but the Demons at least had a spread of goalkickers while the Blues struggled to kick goals.

Victorian state cricketer Graeme Watson made his debut joining Sheffield Shield teammate Neil Crompton. Watson went on to play test cricket for his country in the following year.

Donny Williams BOG - not bad for 20th man Jack. He must have come on early.

Melbourne tasted victory for the first time in 1964 on Anzac Day when it bounced back from its opening round defeat at the hands of the reigning premier Geelong to against North Melbourne by 16 points in front of a crowd of 15,914 at Arden Street.

There was a strong wind blowing down the ground and the Kangaroos led at half time by a goal after both sides had enjoyed the benefit of the breeze. Melbourne capitalised on the elements in the third term but the home side gave itself a chance of winning but that prospect petered out with poor kicking for goal.

Melbourne 4.3.27 5.5.35 10.11.71 11.11.77

North Melbourne 0.1.1 6.5.41 7.5.47 8.13.61

THE TEAM

B: Don Williams Bernie Massey Len Mann

HB: Bob Miller Brian Roet Brian Leahy

C: John Townsend "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Bryan Kenneally Barry Bourke David Robbie

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Ron Barassi Ken Emselle

19/20: Herb Matthews Graham Wise

Goals Ron Barassi 3 Barry Bourke David Robbie 2 Bryan Kenneally John Lord John Townsend Barrie Vagg

Best "Hassa Mann" David Robbie Bryan Kenneally Ron Barassi Brian Leahy John Lord

Milestone Robert Miller celebrated his fiftieth game for the club.

It was fitting that Anzac Day marked the return from suspension of the team's hero, captain and legacy boy Ron Barassi Junior whose father was killed at age 27, in battle for his country at Tobruk in 1941, the first VFL footballer to lose his life in World War 2.

Ron's comeback on Anzac Day was a fine tribute to his fallen father; he kicked three goals and was among his team's best with his usual brand of tough, hard, inspirational play.

To his adoring fans Barassi was a footballing god. The Demons also had John Lord among their better players and, as they staved off one attacking move after another and the hapless Northerners kicked only one major from nine shots at goal in the final stanza, it was clear that on that Anzac Day 50 years ago we had not only The Lord but god on our side ...

Thanks WJ!! I just watched that most moving performance by a young and idealistic Joan Baez.

Donny Williams BOG - not bad for 20th man Jack. He must have come on early.

You beat me to it Daisycutter. Don must have come on very early in the game. Fancy having the players of the calibre of Vagg and Williams as reserves! What a team.

The 1964 VFL season opened on the equivalent Saturday fifty years ago - the exact date was 18 April, 1964.

Melbourne had finished third the previous year after losing to the eventual runners up Hawthorn on preliminary final day. The Demons beat the Cats in both end of season exhibition games in Honolulu and San Francisco and the rivalry was tested again in the opening round of the new season on 18 April, 1964 before a crowd 66,250 at the MCG.

It was a close encounter for most of the game before the more accurate visitors drew ahead in the final quarter. Centreman Hassa Mann was the Demons' best while John Lord kicked four goals. A notable player missing from the Melbourne line up was skipper Ron Barassi who was serving the last game of a suspension for striking Richmond's Roger Dean in the penultimate home and away game of the previous season.

Melbourne 2.4.16 8.7.55 11.11.77 14.13.97

Geelong 2.2.14 8.4.52 12.7.79 17.8.110

THE TEAM

C: Brian Dixon "Hassa" Mann Frank "Bluey" Adams

F: Don Williams Barry Bourke David Robbie

FOLL: Bob "Tassie" Johnson Bryan Kenneally Ken Emselle

19/20: Bob Miller John Townsend

Goals John Lord 4 Ken Emselle 3 Barry Bourke David Robbie 2, Hassa Mann Barrie Vagg Don Williams 1

Best Hassa Mann John Lord Bryan Kenneally Barrie Vagg Barry Bourke Tony Anderson

Milestone Frank "Bluey" Adams played his 150th game for Melbourne while John "Sammy" Newman made his debut for Geelong.

What a centreline! The speed of Bluey Adams, the high marking ability of Brian Dixon and the silky skills of Hassa Mann. I was hoping that Sam Blease would be another Bluey Adams but my optimism is starting to fade. I would love to be wrong on this one though.

What a centreline! The speed of Bluey Adams, the high marking ability of Brian Dixon and the silky skills of Hassa Mann. I was hoping that Sam Blease would be another Bluey Adams but my optimism is starting to fade. I would love to be wrong on this one though.

Saying Blease and Adams in the same sentence is difficult to read.

The only similarity is red hair.

• Like 1