What's even more disappointing….

Darbsy

I think, actually, more hope, that with Jackson and Roos at the helm we will become a good team. A team that will win, but for now, I am resided to the fact we are a junk yard of a side and have been for quite a while. I was so filled with hope with the St Kilda game and I reckon the players were too and losing that game simply took the jam out of the players, supporters and anyone associated with the club's donut.

SO I can only imagine what it is like for parents of kids who go week in, week out and have to look at their little son's or daughters face after games and answer questions as to why we didn't win.

I barrack for Melbourne, because my Dad does, he chose to break away from his Essendon supporting family to follow the dees. Why? Because players like Hassa Mann, Barassi, Stuie caught his eye and he was hooked ever since. Then I came along in 82, the only games we went to were Melbourne games, usually at Windy Hill as Grandad would pop along or to sit in the red seats of the G and most often, celebrate WINS.

After wins we would run through Fitzroy gardens hip and shouldering each other, Dad pretending he was Grinter and knocking me over. The drive home with the scarves out the window and talking about the highlights. Whether it was Jimmy's heroics, Garry Lyon bagging a few, just how tough Todd Viney was, Stephen Stretch on a wing, how arrogant Jakovich was and how we loved it. Dad and I still talk about a Melbourne Carlton game when there was a massive pack and Rodney Grinter lined someone up from about 40 metres away, ran full pace, jumped into the pack and flew out the other side missing everyone.

I have 2 kids of my own, a 2 year old daughter and a 6 month year old son. I cop it from mates for "child abuse" when I bought them memberships this year, but I don't care as I consider it failed parenting if you can't get your kids to barrack for your team (whether thats harsh or not I'll let the courts decide), but for me, if my kids were of age where they could fully understand whats going on with Melbourne, I would find it almost impossible to take them to the game and I worry that I will miss opportunities to talk to my kids about our victories, run through Fitzroy gardens pretending I'm Melbourne's toughest player (if we have one) and then talking about the players who were on fire. AS face it, apart from a small cameo from Mitch Clark, we haven't had much to talk about with a smile on our face, and for the parents out there, I imagine thats what makes whats happening at the Dees, even more disappointing.

• Like 3

I'm not really surprised we are in this position, i thought we were the better side round 1, but couldn't convert, even one of our big forwards and i reckon we would have fallen over the line, same deal this round, 1 big forward and some better finishing

west coast smashed us, but it's in the ruck we are getting destroyed, Mumford, 60 hit outs or whatever and Nic Nat and Cox the week before, we need Jamar simply because he will be better in the ruck than spencer.

After that St Kilda game i declared we would be lucky to win a game this year.

You're right, there is just no excitement, no aggression, no real will to win and have a real crack.

We just dont take em on.

• Like 2

My fiancé is a teacher at a primary school with around 700 students, at their Footy Day last year they had less than 10 Melbourne supporters.

There are kids up to the age of about 12 who wouldn't remember seeing Melbourne consistently win.

Then she needs to do more or you need to end it now.

• Like 3

I'm not really surprised we are in this position, i thought we were the better side round 1, but couldn't convert, even one of our big forwards and i reckon we would have fallen over the line, same deal this round, 1 big forward and some better finishing

west coast smashed us, but it's in the ruck we are getting destroyed, Mumford, 60 hit outs or whatever and Nic Nat and Cox the week before, we need Jamar simply because he will be better in the ruck than spencer.

The last three weeks after the St Kilda loss have really shown how fragile our confidence is.

We played well that game and really should have won. St Kilda are playing some much better than expected footy at the moment and I have no doubt that if we'd won that game, we'd be in a similar boat to them now. We would have beaten GWS yesterday and at least looked competitive against West Coast.

Now however it's going to take more time to instil that confidence into the playing group again and every big loss we cop is going to push it further down. It can be done over time (hopefully we see some results later this season) but I'm bloody sick of waiting.

• Like 1

we prob won't get a win this year.

by the end of this season we will see two categories of players in the team.

Those that work hard all year and remain at the club, the other group are those that get delisted.

Thats all this year is now, the group is beyond repair without cutting the fat.

To be honest, i don't think roos thought it was going to be this bad.

Next year we bring in more talent in all areas in an effort to create 'a new team'.

• Like 1

I was shattered leaving the ground after the Hawks preseason game. I thought this loss was the one we did not need and it took all the wind out of a fragile groups sails. This fixture damaged the playing groups psych and was terrible for the supporters who turned up. I left the ground listening to Hawks supporters whinging about the game and comments of 'imagine barracking for the Dees'. I wanted to punch them all.

I laughed when the Lions sent a seconds team against the Hawks a week or so ealier but in hind sight we should have done the same. The result would have been no worse and the players confidence would not have been shreded.

Since that game Roos has been battling the mental demons in the heads of the players and a list that has the depth of kitchen sink.

I go every week with the family inlcuding a father in law who has been a paid up member for over 60 consecutive years and walk away depressed, angry and devoid of hope. Why do I do it? for couple of reasons. 1. If the old fella can be bothered so should I. 2. If Jim could turn up with a whole in back of his head then so should I. 3. and finaly because the young blokes who pull on jumper each week come out to face the enemy do it and we all should get off our a^$ses and support them. What I want is for this club to turn it around and become a premiership contender and that is a lot easier if the boys can feel some support from the outer.

I cant see the hope in the playing list right now but I do have confidence in PJ and Roos and I guess eventually something must give. What does pick me up is seeing the supporters each week come out knowing that they are likely to go home disappointed. We may not have that many supporters and its hard to compete with the noise of the Colingwood and Richmond faithful but we do have as loyal a bunch as any team in the comp.

• Like 10

we prob won't get a win this year.

by the end of this season we will see two categories of players in the team.

Those that work hard all year and remain at the club, the other group are those that get delisted.

Thats all this year is now, the group is beyond repair without cutting the fat.

To be honest, i don't think roos thought it was going to be this bad.

Next year we bring in more talent in all areas in an effort to create 'a new team'.

Agree. The old list is not going to be the answer.

They have failed sadly.

• Like 1

Agree. The old list is not going to be the answer.

They have failed sadly.

yup, slice and dice. Keep the good, and the ones willing to make changes to themselves (a la Dunny) and the way they play, bring anyone who really wants to have a crack at being an AFL player. Not these boys who have been told all their lives that they will be.

Earn it.

• Like 1

I think, actually, more hope, that with Jackson and Roos at the helm we will become a good team. A team that will win, but for now, I am resided to the fact we are a junk yard of a side and have been for quite a while. I was so filled with hope with the St Kilda game and I reckon the players were too and losing that game simply took the jam out of the players, supporters and anyone associated with the club's donut.

SO I can only imagine what it is like for parents of kids who go week in, week out and have to look at their little son's or daughters face after games and answer questions as to why we didn't win.

I barrack for Melbourne, because my Dad does, he chose to break away from his Essendon supporting family to follow the dees. Why? Because players like Hassa Mann, Barassi, Stuie caught his eye and he was hooked ever since. Then I came along in 82, the only games we went to were Melbourne games, usually at Windy Hill as Grandad would pop along or to sit in the red seats of the G and most often, celebrate WINS.

After wins we would run through Fitzroy gardens hip and shouldering each other, Dad pretending he was Grinter and knocking me over. The drive home with the scarves out the window and talking about the highlights. Whether it was Jimmy's heroics, Garry Lyon bagging a few, just how tough Todd Viney was, Stephen Stretch on a wing, how arrogant Jakovich was and how we loved it. Dad and I still talk about a Melbourne Carlton game when there was a massive pack and Rodney Grinter lined someone up from about 40 metres away, ran full pace, jumped into the pack and flew out the other side missing everyone.

I have 2 kids of my own, a 2 year old daughter and a 6 month year old son. I cop it from mates for "child abuse" when I bought them memberships this year, but I don't care as I consider it failed parenting if you can't get your kids to barrack for your team (whether thats harsh or not I'll let the courts decide), but for me, if my kids were of age where they could fully understand whats going on with Melbourne, I would find it almost impossible to take them to the game and I worry that I will miss opportunities to talk to my kids about our victories, run through Fitzroy gardens pretending I'm Melbourne's toughest player (if we have one) and then talking about the players who were on fire. AS face it, apart from a small cameo from Mitch Clark, we haven't had much to talk about with a smile on our face, and for the parents out there, I imagine thats what makes whats happening at the Dees, even more disappointing.

Great post.

I am a bit older than you, but remember those days with great fondness.

Is there a new Rodney Grinter, Stephen Stretch, Jimma, Garry Lyon or Todd Viney?

Who knows ?

We have just started on this new road and have to believe in what is being done and not give up hope.

GO DEES!

• Like 1

Great post.

I am a bit older than you, but remember those days with great fondness.

Is there a new Rodney Grinter, Stephen Stretch, Jimma, Garry Lyon or Todd Viney?

Who knows ?

We have just started on this new road and have to believe in what is being done and not give up hope.

GO DEES!

I haven't given up. But we need a new list of players.
  • Like 2

And what's worse is that Melbourne chose to play Hawthorn in the last practice match at Casey. Foolish idea and it was a waste of time for both clubs.

Our nab challenge form had been promising until the hawks decided to kill off any confidence gained.

People argued at the time that it was a good idea to match up against the premiere, no greater test than playing Hawthorn. I would suggest it has had a major negative impact on our season.

I'm the same vintage mate (1982) and currently have a 1 year old son so I have the same fears as you. When I was a kid footy was fun, Melbourne won more often than not and we actually made and won finals games even though we couldn't get a flag. I can't imagine being a kid supporting us for the last 7-8 years, that's an entire life in Primary School where footy hasn't been any fun. The main thing keeping me going is the thought that by the time my son is old enough to know what's going on surely we will be better. Surely? Get the crap out of the way now and improve over the next few years and I may have a chance to 1) keep him as a supporter (he's already a member) and 2) actually enjoy going to the footy with him.

Lose to Carlscum and the year is dead.

Can't see us getting within 10 goals of them 'WYL'.

The year was dead after the Hawks practice match, looked dodgy to me against the Cats the week earlier. The Saints game was when I went into official mourning.

I'm still of the belief that it's not so much a lack of genuine talent, more so just a genuine urge to win.

It actually seems as though some of the players don't know what it takes to play AFL footy. Every player on the list is talented in some regarded. It is the club's responsibility to ready them for the competition.

Roos does this better than anyone. His team nor the one he left of Longmire was packed with stars. Just solid contributors that played a role.

Now's the time to see which players have the capacity to shift from the loser mentality to the winning one.

This week is as good as any. A club as a crossroad, struggling, under pressure. Give them hell. Make them earn the win.

Is this team just doing to lie down again, or will it DO something?

This reminds me of the start of the. 2012 and 2013 seasons under Neeld. Supporters believing change is about to happen, but by round 3 have lost all hope.

Call me deluded but I'm not giving up yet.

• Like 3

As long as the sun keeps dawning on a new day there is hope. Well, that's what I keep telling myself. That there is something around the corner. It's happened before. 1987, 1998, 2004.

Different lists, different eras, but you get the point.

What was disappointing for me on the weekend was when my 12 yo daughter turned to me last night after the game and said, (first and only time I hope) , "dad, can we change teams."

That was a kick in the guts experiencing that first hand. Thankfully my wife was quick to jump in and tell her why we stay true.

Talk about deflating, but my wife was right! Only true supporters - no matter what club they barrack for, remain loyal to their club through good times and bad.

Some (few) will take the perceived easy way out, and what of the values they preach from there? How can you develop a true love or deep admiration for another team that you've hated/disliked/remained distant from prior? No matter what anyone says or disputes, you can't. You can try, but it's never the same.

• Like 6

Hi deluded!

Hi!!

I'm conditioned to losing and copping abuse about my team... I'll live in hope that something clicks both in between the ears and physically on the park.