Paul Roos on AFL360

The more everyone talks about fragile confidence with this list the more we will get more of the same.

ENOUGH! The club needs to move on from this wacky shyte.

This football club has assembled the worst AFL list in modern history, now it's time to cull and move on.

Fans screaming at their supposed 'lack of heart' isn't helping - there was plenty of heart in the 22 on Sunday - just not enough talent.

Agree with your post in main, in particular with relation to sticking to the gameplan and instilling it in those who will remain after the next cull. But you are overshooting here.

PLENTY of heart?

Fans become frustrated when they watch our players make.a West Coast midfield that is hardly renowned for its leg speed look like jets. Our players were noticably jogging all over the field, and it's a continuation of a theme. I saw Watts break into what could be labelled a sprint roughly 3 times for the match, and he had plenty of friends,

So what is it? Why is two way running such a foreign concept? It's either fitness, or the will to do it. Perhaps the fumbles and misdirected passes sap the will from them. That's not good enough, frankly. You stuff up. You get up and go again harder than the first time.

So to say there was plenty of heart after a performance like that is paying them more credit than they are due. You don't lose in that fashion unless you are missing talent, confidence and urgency.

Richmond were going about 75-80% and we were flat out and we just got over the line.

Not talking about the effort , just the skill errors

A win will give the players a lot of confidence.

Would love for the boys to go up to Sydney and beat gws and I don't care if it's by a point.

We need a win but I'm not sure it will happen.

A win will give the players a lot of confidence.

Would love for the boys to go up to Sydney and beat gws and I don't care if it's by a point.

We need a win but I'm not sure it will happen.

Would love to be wrong but I cannot see us getting within 50 points.

I'd just love to see Roos concentrate on getting some good kicks in the back half.

For years we have relied on terrible kicks such as Frawley, Grimes, McDonald, Terlich etc to bring it out of the back half. No wonder we chip it backwards and sideways. These players have no confidence in their disposal to kick to anything half-creative, and those up the field don't run or spread because they don't have any confidence in the kicker either.

The only times on Sunday that we looked half decent were when Tyson and Toumpas drilled 40m flat balls from half back to the corridor.

I would play Blease and Tapscott in back pockets, and have a Toumpas or Vince floating around half back at all times as well.

I'd play Fitzpatrick on Jeremy Cameron and teach Fitzpatrick a lesson. Pederson should also play back. He couldn't go any worse than Frawley has been. Frawley and Dunn to both play forward and just crash packs and make a contest, which Fitzpatrick was pathetic at.

Edited by Watts Jurrah Dunn?

I'd just love to see Roos concentrate on getting some good kicks in the back half.

For years we have relied on terrible kicks such as Frawley, Grimes, McDonald, Terlich etc to bring it out of the back half. No wonder we chip it backwards and sideways. These players have no confidence in their disposal to kick to anything half-creative, and those up the field don't run or spread because they don't have any confidence in the kicker either.

The only times on Sunday that we looked half decent were when Tyson and Toumpas drilled 40m flat balls from half back to the corridor.

I would play Blease and Tapscott in back pockets, and have a Toumpas or Vince floating around half back at all times as well.

I'd play Fitzpatrick on Jeremy Cameron and teach Fitzpatrick a lesson. Pederson should also play back. He couldn't go any worse than Frawley has been. Frawley and Dunn to both play forward and just crash packs and make a contest, which Fitzpatrick was pathetic at.

That's ridiculous. For all we know, Fitzy has never played back and Cameron is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league, we'd be throwing the game away with that move.

Keep McDonald or Frawley on Cameron and the other (or Pedo) on Patton.

Too many of them don't seem to be able to hit someone who's running, either by hand or by foot.

Handballs should never go behind someone who's just started to run hard into space, but far too many do. And they're all momentum killers, because instead of us breaking away down the ground, it gives the other team the chance to do it. It's like they're more comfortable, especially when under pressure, handpassing to someone who's stationary and flatfooted than to someone who's trying to break away hard.

And they also seem to prefer to hit a stationary target by foot, even if it means neglecting any number of positive earlier leads. If someone's leading and has a space in front of them, it's not a difficult kick just to put it to their advantage.

These are basic skills for other teams - to put it to where a running teammate is going, not to where they've been or where they are - that seem to be beyond us.

And if they can't hit running targets (especially under pressure), they soon stop trying to provide running targets. So it's back to witches' hats and a smashing.

Maybe Roos, recalling their great attacking ball movement from 2010, thought it was something he didn't have to teach them. And perhaps they need to unlearn the "kicking-to-contests" crap of the past 2 years.

I'd play Fitzpatrick on Jeremy Cameron and teach Fitzpatrick a lesson.

I've never really believed that opening someone up to public humiliation is a great way of "teaching someone a lesson".

For all we know, Fitzy has never played back and Cameron is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league, we'd be throwing the game away with that move.

I spat my coffee on the desk - please use Camerons first name as well ( Jeremy) as I read the above as Cameron Pederson is one of the most dangerous forwards in the league.

• Like 3

I hope he didn't. I don't think the fumbles and mistakes are laziness I think they are a lack of confidence.

They were under a lot of pressure. Opp'n teams know that they can pressure Melbourne into mistakes. They were crunched hard at every opportunity by the Weagles.

The more everyone talks about fragile confidence with this list the more we will get more of the same.

ENOUGH! The club needs to move on from this wacky shyte.

This football club has assembled the worst AFL list in modern history, now it's time to cull and move on.

What mid-season? Hey great idea. To be replaced with??

Soidee? Hello?

Too many of them don't seem to be able to hit someone who's running, either by hand or by foot.

Handballs should never go behind someone who's just started to run hard into space, but far too many do. And they're all momentum killers, because instead of us breaking away down the ground, it gives the other team the chance to do it. It's like they're more comfortable, especially when under pressure, handpassing to someone who's stationary and flatfooted than to someone who's trying to break away hard.

And they also seem to prefer to hit a stationary target by foot, even if it means neglecting any number of positive earlier leads. If someone's leading and has a space in front of them, it's not a difficult kick just to put it to their advantage.

These are basic skills for other teams - to put it to where a running teammate is going, not to where they've been or where they are - that seem to be beyond us.

And if they can't hit running targets (especially under pressure), they soon stop trying to provide running targets. So it's back to witches' hats and a smashing.

Maybe Roos, recalling their great attacking ball movement from 2010, thought it was something he didn't have to teach them. And perhaps they need to unlearn the "kicking-to-contests" crap of the past 2 years.

The handball receiver is as much at fault. They stand 1m away from the player with the ball. Basic stuff but when we get the pill spread. Haven't done it for 7 yrs now....

• Like 1

At least Roos aint stubborn like many of our past coaches.

We might learn that Frawley is a better forward where he doesn't have to hesitate and turn it over time and time and time again.

Howe in the backline where he aint under super scrutiny. Where he can freely peel-off and take hangers or spoil a contest.

Lucky guess

• Like 2

Roosy is talking to Bomber about how he rebuilt Geelong, great move, he isn't just resting on what he knows but actively seeking advice

Just out of curiosity, has Roos said this?

Yeah, it was in one of the articles on the mfc website i believe, Bomber said just stick to the game plan, change the personel if you have to but hold fast to the game plan, change positions around until you get a spark

Yeah, it was in one of the articles on the mfc website i believe, Bomber said just stick to the game plan, change the personel if you have to but hold fast to the game plan, change positions around until you get a spark

I hope that Roos also has a chat to someone like Bomber (i.e. someone who has rebuilt a club from the ground up) after the show. I appreciate that Bomber won't be too forthcoming with info, afterall he is an opposition coach, but he has rebuilt a club from the ground up (something PR has yet to do). Roosy needs to consult as far and wide as possible.