Training - Friday 14th March, 2014

I'll lead off with the obvious ones:

• was Hogan running as foreshadowed?
  • Dawes?
  • Clark?
  • If yes, how hard were these three working? ..... any signs of discomfort etc?
  • Of the others, who were the standouts, and why?

Presumably those playing tomorrow had a very light run.

Cheers in anticipation!

I'll lead off with the obvious ones:

• was Hogan running as foreshadowed?
  • Dawes?
  • Clark?
  • If yes, how hard were these three working? ..... any signs of discomfort etc?
  • Of the others, who were the standouts, and why?
Presumably those playing tomorrow had a very light run.

Cheers in anticipation!

Dawes I saw at start heading to tan, no Clark or Hogan.

Those playing tomorrow did have lighter session

Got there at 9.30 passing Dawes on bridge as he was heading to tan with a trainer. A few Casey players and a few Dees out there warming up. Bulk arrived 20 mins later, warming up together, JKH hardly did anything but some goal kicking, saving himself for tomorrow.

The session consisted of a hell of a lot of ball work and the skills were very good, though a perfect day for it.

Bernie Vince was sublime, excited to see how he goes this year.

Roos very involved, chalk and cheese to what I saw last year. On a similar vein, was not impressed with Pedersen during preseason last year, didn't think he worked hard enough, was very impressed with what I saw of him today, worked hard the whole session, expect him to start the season up forward with Howe and Fitzy. Georgio will probably play his role down back till our tall forwards return. At the end of the session, him and Howe practiced providing multiple leads over and over again.

Those playing tomorrow left after roughly an hour, hopefully some posters get to tomorrow's game and give us report. Tyson and Mitchie will be great gains, was impressed with Salems size, beautiful kick as well.

Overall, the team are looking much stronger than I remember for a long time, talking of strong, can't wait till we see Riley, he looks a tough unit.

Another difference to last year was the constant movement, it made it seem much more realistic to the workout they would get during a game, last year I felt the players were stationary too much in drills. At the end of a very long session which included a lot of match type simulation drills they then put the boys through a number of short repeat sprints, something that must have hurt considering GPS reading were showing they had already covered similar ground at a similar pace to what they would have if they played a match.

Looked like the club had a number of players families there, showing them training and then a tour of facilities, not certain they were the new players families, but got that impression.

Will be on and off today, will try expand later, my 6 month old preventing me writing more now as he tries hijack the ipad.

• Like 19

Dawes I saw at start heading to tan, no Clark or Hogan.

Those playing tomorrow did have lighter session

What do you mean by heading to tan sorry?

Another difference to last year was the constant movement, it made it seem much more realistic to the workout they would get during a game, last year I felt the players were stationary too much in drills. At the end of a very long session which included a lot of match type simulation drills they then put the boys through a number of short repeat sprints, something that must have hurt considering GPS reading were showing they had already covered similar ground at a similar pace to what they would have if they played a match.

At the risk of repeating myself, any successful gameplan requires constant movement and repeat presentation of options to the ball carrier. Sounds simple but our major problem has been that over the last 3-4 years we have not worked hard enough and presented options by constantly moving.

We have bemoaned our kicking out from full back but I have pitied the kicker as he looks down the field and sees concrete statues wearing the Demons jumper.

• Like 3

RGRS, that's the last time you stand next to me at training, you took all my best lines, especially the GPS data

What RGRS said, session started at 9.55 and finished at 1245

Couple of Roosisms heard

"That's better, that's what AFL footy looks like"

"it's the last quarter, you don't stop running now"

He is really on Viv Michie's case

Hogan was over the far side of oval with Garland and Dawes before rest of squad arrived, did a few exercises with one of the physios, a couple of slow laps and then left, Round 1 a mystery

Dawes did the same exercises and then as said left for the tan

Garlo reckons he is two weeks away, was running at full pace with no obvious discomfort

No sign of Clark

The other wounded warrior, Riley, did nearly the full session, asked him and he said was right on track for Round 1 VFL or 3 AFL

JKH only kicked the ball around for about 15 minutes, asked him if everyting was ok, said he was on light duties and saving energy for tomorrow

Asked Lynden Dunn the same thing as he was only walking laps, said he was old

Definition of tough asked Chip Frawely about hit on Saturday, after he had completed full session

me "how the hell did you survive the hit on Saturday"

Chip "caught me right down the middle, coughed up a bit of blood, bit of a bruised rib, but she's sweet now"

RGRS forgot this bit, I asked the GPS guru why the long session, answer Roos thinks teams playing this week will have advantage in work done, so he wanted to emulate the amount of running etc the players would do in a game

Walked in to Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross on leaving, Vince the comedian, obviously overestimating my influence at the Club, told me to tell Roos, no more hard sessions like that

Any questions feel free.

• Like 15

Not necessarily, saw him myself pounding around the tan, he could be inside on one of the running machines, or the heat room, there are more ways of getting you fitness than do laps of an oval watching other players train whilst you do

Forgot another no show Tapscott

Nah Tappy was out there with Gawn but they had the singlets without numbers and the first bunch to leave the track of the group playing at Casey.

Matt Jones also got a knee looked at a taped late in the session but all seemed fine.

I got there about 11am and watched from the punt rd end.

First training I've seen under Roos and co and to reiterate the obvious it was all ball use and game-time simulations rather than athelitics and Roos was so much more involved than Neeld.

enjoyed watching.

saw miller kick the ball 70 metres to another couch.

I was surprised by Watts and how fit he looked. Trenners is a beautiful running kick, Toumpas was training like his life depended on it - very vocal and it seemed Bernie is a cut above at the moment - fast, agile, great kicking accuracy. Cross was also giving his all. I saw Bail kick a running pass straight into Cross (?) 's hands. Also saw Bleasey getting a lot of the ball in the semi match Sims.

Pedo, Georgio and Michie were feeling the running.

good to see them look like a real footy club.

fits looks pretty fit - didn't see any other forwards.

every time Chip got the ball all the players were vocal - making him want to stay??

• Like 2

Didn't stay to the end but overall thought it wasn't the sharpest session. I think the players are ready for games and as such are having to really fight to find the high intensity for simple drills.

Towards the end the 22 or so left did goal kicking at one stage.

It pains me that with 7 or more coaches on track no one stops Fitzpatrick and makes him practice proper goal kicking technique. A super high one handed ball drop is just not ok. I know goal kicking is a bit like goal you have to find the swing that works for you but Fitzy's current action is unacceptable for a guy who is primarily a forward.

• Like 1