Jesse Hogan - back injury

DeeSpencer

You have no idea whether he is really injured. If he is really injured, you have no idea of the severity of the injury. MFCSS!!

If it is a stress fracture, as is being reported, he will be out at least 8. And that's not even the most conservative approach

Edit: 8 weeks that is

Edited by Demonof94

you have to wonder

Hogan , Clarke, Dawes

any of the above are a 1st class fwd

getting them on the park.......

why is it so hard.....so impossible....why Smithy ??

I remember one year always waiting for Parke, Aitken and Dillon to get on the park together...

Even if there is a fracture, it isn't a stress fracture. They were pretty clear on the FS segment that he copped a knee in the back during the game and this is where the concern is. Obviously they were getting scans on it today to see if it's anything more than bruising, hence the tweets about waiting on the results. For all I know DB may have fluked one and there is actually some structural damage, but my take is that he found out about the scans and added a worst-case spin to make a story out of nothing. We all know that his strike rate is somewhere below 25% on these so-called news segments. This is simply another case of him being an obnoxious little troll trying to bignote himself by making a sensational claim on very little evidence.

• Like 5

Now on the AFL site saying he is likely to miss the first few rounds, maybe more depending on scans. Hopefully it is just a short term injury and he still gets some senior experience this season. He is a key part of our future so we need to manage him properly.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-06/hogan-a-likely-non-starter

If he injured his back during the Cats game why did the Club name him today at midday to play against the Hawks?

Something not adding up

Exactly my thoughts, what I hope is the case is he copped the knock v Cats and pulled up sore. He may have come off the track today and told the medico's that it still hurts to which they said, "let's get a scan to make sure there isn't a fracture".

Of course my mind will go to the MFCSS scenario as I will never forget the fact that initial thoughts for Clarks injury was a few weeks with a minor foot injury, we all know how that turned out.

How we have such bad luck with our forwards is beyond me.

Edited by Pates

Now on the AFL site saying he is likely to miss the first few rounds, maybe more depending on scans. Hopefully it is just a short term injury and he still gets some senior experience this season. He is a key part of our future so we need to manage him properly.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-06/hogan-a-likely-non-starter

Look at the author of the article. He reinforces the validity of his story by putting it out in multiple forums. Still doesn't make it accurate. What we have are scans on a bruised back caused by a blow during the game. The results aren't in, so the bit about fractures is speculation. You will also note that he has tried to add validity to the print article by stating that the Footy Show reported this earlier in the evening, conveniently failing to mention that it was him reporting it.

• Like 1

I dislike Barrett as much as the next bloke, but there's some serious delusion going on in this thread.

"The Demons confirmed Hogan had suffered a back injury and said they were awaiting detailed scans of the damage before determining a return date."

Clearly he IS injured, so let's cut the outrage and look at it with our grown up pants on.

• Like 2

I dislike Barrett as much as the next bloke, but there's some serious delusion going on in this thread.

"The Demons confirmed Hogan had suffered a back injury and said they were awaiting detailed scans of the damage before determining a return date."

Clearly he IS injured, so let's cut the outrage and look at it with our grown up pants on.

The problem isn't him reporting an injury, it's the fact that he is declaring it to be fractures with no supporting evidence. He's declaring the worst case scenario to be the reality so as to make a story out of nothing, and then referencing himself as a source. Even worse is the sad fact that not only is this accepted practice in the industry, they even give him awards for it. If he were to stick to the facts and not promote his speculations as reality I wouldn't have a problem. What is wrong with going on TFS tonight and saying Hogan has pulled up sore from a knee to the back and they are doing scans to see if there are any serious issues? That may not be a sensational, but it is good solid journalism and would still have been breaking the news before anyone else.

• Like 1

The way Brett Anderson tweeted, it appeared scan results were already in earlier today:

1. a0a28c3f36fb68b2a2a3b44adcfecd74_bigger.Brett Anderson @BrettAndersonIF 2h

Huge blow for the Dees. Hogan out 6-8 weeks with stress fracture in his back. #AFL

The problem isn't him reporting an injury, it's the fact that he is declaring it to be fractures with no supporting evidence. He's declaring the worst case scenario to be the reality so as to make a story out of nothing, and then referencing himself as a source. Even worse is the sad fact that not only is this accepted practice in the industry, they even give him awards for it. If he were to stick to the facts and not promote his speculations as reality I wouldn't have a problem. What is wrong with going on TFS tonight and saying Hogan has pulled up sore from a knee to the back and they are doing scans to see if there are any serious issues? That may not be a sensational, but it is good solid journalism and would still have been breaking the news before anyone else.

Who says he has no evidence? He's clearly spoken to the club seeing they've confirmed it. If he puts up the x-rays would it make you happy? I hate the gutter rat, but watching this thread go from "oh that's BS, he's rubbish and there's no truth to it".... to "oh that's BS, there's no evidence it's a fracture and he wouldn't know how long he'd be out".... to very soon being "Barrett got lucky..." is actually quite good sport.

But then again, it's not like Demonland to get all emotional about someone reporting something bad about the club....

The way Brett Anderson tweeted, it appeared scan results were already in earlier today:

1. a0a28c3f36fb68b2a2a3b44adcfecd74_bigger.Brett Anderson @BrettAndersonIF 2h

Huge blow for the Dees. Hogan out 6-8 weeks with stress fracture in his back. #AFL

He's probably putting that out as a result of the report on TFS.

Yes I saw the "Demons confirmed" quote too, but still doesn't explain why they named him to play tomorrow

Honestly if he was in doubt and off having scans and likely to miss 6-8 as has been reported elsewhere, then the club may as well also named Clark, Dawes and Nick Smith to also play.

The lack of transparency on injuries from the club serves no purpose, particularly at this time of year. It annoys me very much

Yes I saw the "Demons confirmed" quote too, but still doesn't explain why they named him to play tomorrow

Honestly if he was in doubt and off having scans and likely to miss 6-8 as has been reported elsewhere, then the club may as well also named Clark, Dawes and Nick Smith to also play.

The lack of transparency on injuries from the club serves no purpose, particularly at this time of year. It annoys me very much

They only named a squad. Not everyone plays. Not that much of a conspiracy.

• Like 1

But if a player is no hope to run out on the ground sans wheelchair why bother naming him at all?

Maybe they had a slim hope and preferred naming him and then not playing him rather than not naming him and then not being able to play him.

Who says he has no evidence? He's clearly spoken to the club seeing they've confirmed it. If he puts up the x-rays would it make you happy? I hate the gutter rat, but watching this thread go from "oh that's BS, he's rubbish and there's no truth to it".... to "oh that's BS, there's no evidence it's a fracture and he wouldn't know how long he'd be out".... to very soon being "Barrett got lucky..." is actually quite good sport.

But then again, it's not like Demonland to get all emotional about someone reporting something bad about the club....

I call BS on his story for two very good reasons. First, his claim of stress fractures caused by a knee to the back is clearly incorrect.

A stress fracture is an overuse injury. It occurs when muscles become fatigued and are unable to absorb added shock. Eventually, the fatigued muscle transfers the overload of stress to the bone causing a tiny crack called a stress fracture.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00112

Secondly, if he has a source, he says so. While he will never admit to not having spoken to someone in the club, if he has he will give us a "sources in the club" line. The only thing he attributes to the club is the following:

The Demons confirmed Hogan had suffered a back injury and said they were awaiting detailed scans of the damage before determining a return date.

Added to this is the fact that it has been six days since the match finished and they are only now getting his back looked at. Indeed he was in sufficiently good health that only hours ago he was named in the squad for Saturday's match. Thus my assessment of his report. I believe that Hogan has a back injury caused by a knee to the back. I believe it is severe enough to warrant them ordering scans. I do not believe that Barrett has a source within the club's coaching and medical staff who has told him that there are fractures. I do not believe that Stress Fractures are going to form in the space of a week due to a knee in the back.

I'll add the obvious also. Besides being highly inaccurate, the use of the term "stress fracture" is clearly a scare tactic to make things seem worse. Fans accept that impact injuries occur. If a knee to the back caused a fractured vertebrae we would be upset about the bad luck but shrug it off as the sort of injury you get in an impact sport. Stress fracture on the other hand implies an underlying fault. To the fans, the term means a player may never play again, that there may be some issue which will cause this to recur endlessly until the club is forced to let them go. Again, it's a hack trick trying to make more of a story than actually exists.

• Like 4

"Minor stress fractures around the damage as well as bruising."

I'm not a Doctor but this dribble from Barrett does not even make logical sense.

What a fkn muppet.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 1

I call BS on his story for two very good reasons. First, his claim of stress fractures caused by a knee to the back is clearly incorrect.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00112

Secondly, if he has a source, he says so. While he will never admit to not having spoken to someone in the club, if he has he will give us a "sources in the club" line. The only thing he attributes to the club is the following:

Added to this is the fact that it has been six days since the match finished and they are only now getting his back looked at. Indeed he was in sufficiently good health that only hours ago he was named in the squad for Saturday's match. Thus my assessment of his report. I believe that Hogan has a back injury caused by a knee to the back. I believe it is severe enough to warrant them ordering scans. I do not believe that Barrett has a source within the club's coaching and medical staff who has told him that there are fractures. I do not believe that Stress Fractures are going to form in the space of a week due to a knee in the back.

I'll add the obvious also. Besides being highly inaccurate, the use of the term "stress fracture" is clearly a scare tactic to make things seem worse. Fans accept that impact injuries occur. If a knee to the back caused a fractured vertebrae we would be upset about the bad luck but shrug it off as the sort of injury you get in an impact sport. Stress fracture on the other hand implies an underlying fault. To the fans, the term means a player may never play again, that there may be some issue which will cause this to recur endlessly until the club is forced to let them go. Again, it's a hack trick trying to make more of a story than actually exists.

Give up.

MFC have confirmed the inury. Hogan didn't train today. You're letting your hatred for Barrett cloud your judgment.