• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Not sure about Pickett.

Pretty small and thin. I don't think you use up a top 5 pick on his type.

Saw him at Simonds Stadium last year almost get killed in a tackle by Matt Crouch.

Heard it from 100m away.

Pickett got up, but was very groggy and went off.

Saw some promising play before that, but nothing indicating he'd be worth going this early.

I'm happy to trade out of this draft.

Didn't Roos indicate he wanted bigger bodied mids. The days of us recruiting midgets might be over.

Not sure about Pickett.

Saw him at Simonds Stadium last year almost get killed in a tackle by Matt Crouch.

Heard it from 100m away.

Saw some promising play before that, but nothing indicating he'd be worth going this early.

I see it pretty much the same 'Machsy' unless he is exceptional, Rioli exceptional with a bigger tank and great hamstrings.

Sitting on the fence about trading out at the moment, depends where we finish. Would have loved McCartin with Hogan but winning beats a number one draft pick so I will take that. Do we factor in the chances of Stretch later in the draft and Lovett in the following draft?

Wouldn't mind adding some tall talent to the list.

In Roos we trust

But what about Tyler Roos, the messiah's son?

Playing for Sandrigham Dragons at the moment with Brayshaw, plays off half back and half forward.

Don't know too much about him though.

In Roos we trust

But what about Tyler Roos, the messiah's son?

Playing for Sandrigham Dragons at the moment with Brayshaw, plays off half back and half forward.

Don't know too much about him though.

Jack Viney is working out pretty well but I'd usually be against a coach picking his own son. How it differs here is that Roos will be out of the senior coaching job in 2 years and therefore wont be senior coach for his own son for too long. As long as Roos stays out of the recruiting process then I'd trust the recruiters. No nothing about the kid except he looks confident and I decent size when down at training helping out his old man.

Not sure about Pickett.

Heard it from 100m away.

Remember the game. He went in low to get it, but his ankle was hurt in the collision and went off when he couldn't run it off. In his favour is that he was willing to cop some contact and he has shown the ability to win his own ball and compete. Want to see more myself before putting him up as high as top 5, there are some big raps on him out there.

Didn't Roos indicate he wanted bigger bodied mids. The days of us recruiting midgets might be over.

I would imagine an exception could be made for skilled speedsters ala Lewis Jetta.

Remember the game. He went in low to get it, but his ankle was hurt in the collision and went off when he couldn't run it off. In his favour is that he was willing to cop some contact and he has shown the ability to win his own ball and compete. Want to see more myself before putting him up as high as top 5, there are some big raps on him out there.

You're right, I forgot about that. He did limp off.

Was a willing combatant, but I still didn't see any of the Cyril-Rioli-like magic that he'd need to get a top 5 guernsey.

Was a bottom-aged however.

I do recall at that stage having heard of Clem Smith and was looking out for him on the day, but I think I noticed Pickett more, as a small speedy indigenous type.

JKH says howdy.

• Like 1

Any update on Billy?

Shifter Shehan mentioned on TAC Futuer Stars yesterday that Stretch impressed across half back in that game and that he expects him to get drafted.

Careful, Goddard looks scarily similar to Watts...

Funny that you should mention that, as for mine Watts's career has always looked scarily similar to that of Brendan Goddard and this is the comparison I always use when Watts haters slag him off.

If you look back at Goddard's career you would probably say Watts is about on par with where Goddard was in his 6th season, he didn't really establish himself as a top shelf player until his 7th year.

Tyler roos has good genes haha, I reckon we should pick him, all the more reason for roosy to hang around

Actually, I think the reverse. If Tyler Roos was drafted to Melbourne I'd see Paul Roos leaving claiming a conflict of interest.

When Denis Pagan was coach of North Melbourne he had difficulties with how he managed his son who was on the Kanga's list for a while. Put simply, whichever approach Pagan (senior) took, he couldn't win.

• Like 1

If Roos is good enough, he's a possible father-son to the lions anyway...

But yes, massive conflict of interest I think Roos would prefer avoid.

do ex Fitzroy or bears players qualify with the father/son rule to the lions?

well there ya go haha

Attended the game today and from start to finish Vic Metro were clear and away the better side, really good inside with clean hands and always had a loose man outside who once with ball in hand broke away easily and the delivery inside 50 was very good. Vic Metro could have won by 100+ had they kicked straighter. I went today keen to see Angus Brayshaw through the middle and whilst he was good and really looks to have a good tank and work ethic but there were others who stood out namely Christian Patrecca found plenty of the ball and his tackling was ferocious and he looks a good size and would step into AFL without any issues in size, Touk Miller looked good and was constantly putting pressure on WA defenders who had no answer to his tackling and his ball use was good and he was very good in congestion. Cavka I know nothing about but along with Petracca was one of the standouts, he caught my eye with his workrate and his willingness to run hard after feeding off the ball to provide an option. Number 6 for Vic Metro Ahern was very good with his run through the middle and showed a strong ability to break the lines. WRIGHT is some size and a very good kick for a young guy that big, whilst he didn't star he showed enough to suggest he will go high in the draft. A few glimpses of being good below his knees which will rate highly as a KPT and his positional sense and awareness of when to go to a contest and when to hang out the back is something someone so young usually needs to be taught.

WA were really bad mostly across the field and bombed the ball into their forward 50 on numerous occasions despite Vic Metro's 2 big defenders Langford and Vickers-Ellis dominating their defensive 50, these two boys were very impressive. Mark young Waterman down as a monty to go to Meth Coast, his decision making is excellent and he uses the ball extremely well and he just knows how to read the play and finds space easily. The knock on Waterman is his pace lets be honest he has none otherwise he would be top 5 but still going to be a very good player and I don't see why they wouldn't take him. Clem Smith was undisciplined and gave away two silly 50m but was hard at every contest and laid some good solid body hits, one of which left one of Vic Metro's boys a little shaken up for a few minutes. Smith's ball use is good and he will stand out at the next level with players who know where to run and lead. Jared Hardisty from Claremont was very busy throughout and showed some very clean hands and accumulated plenty of the footy. Not sure at around 5ft 9 that he will go in the first 3 rounds but worth a late pick or rookie as his workrate and ability to find the ball were impressive. Jarred Pickett showed about 2 minutes of highlights and bursts of pace but my god he doesn't work hard and does not put in the effort to get pressure/body or a tackle on an opponent or get to a contest that is not to far away from him. I would imagine he will talked of highly by many because you would be able to put together a nice highlight reel for him but for me really needs to work harder.

So for me if I was picking on today

Petracca - big bodied mid excellent disposal hard at the ball and makes tackles count

Wright - the glimpses were enough and I can see the ability to just impose himself

Braywhaw - very good 1st quarter went out for a bit in the middle but finished strongly and has a fantastic tank

Cavka - worked hard didn't just admire some good work went again to get another kick or provide an option

Waterman - just a quality footballer and if he had pace would be an absolute star

Ahern - line breaking pace and shows a lot of ability to cause problems breaking from clearances

Smith - is developing into a Byron Pickett clone and loves to hit hard

Langford - controlled the defensive 50 and plenty of sides need tall defenders

Miller - really good decision maker and applies some good pressure inside 50

Hardisty - accumulated plenty of the footy showed the required workrate their will be doubters on his size

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3