The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Paige Cardona's Phantom Draft has us taking Angus Brayshaw and Paddy McCartin with picks 2 and 3.

She has Jake Lever going to GWS at pick 6 but I have a feeling that he will be a strong contender for our pick 3.

More than strong I am hearing!

More than strong I am hearing!

Quite frankly, I am more than happy to go along with Paige's call!

With the recruiting of Ben Newton confirmed the club has decided that:

- Ben is better than anyone at pick 40 and we will go to the draft with just picks 2 and 3, or

- We will use pick 40 if a really good player is still there and we then delist a contracted player.

Either way a really good result for us.

• Like 3

I know we will have to pay his contract out but i'd rather get pick 40 and pay out a Evans.

I would imagine we are looking at this and other options over the next 8 days. I still think JT has to be delisted and rookied, given his current prognosis. It would be negligent and probably unfair on him IMO not to. He will be under enormous pressure to get fit if he stays on the list, not to mention media scrutiny.

• Like 3

I would imagine we are looking at this and other options over the next 8 days. I still think JT has to be delisted and rookied, given his current prognosis. It would be negligent and probably unfair on him IMO not to. He will be under enormous pressure to get fit if he stays on the list, not to mention media scrutiny.

Saints wouldn't take him would they?

If a rebuilding club that has won 40 games in 8 years doesn't use pick 40 in the national draft that'll just about be it for me.

We have the best development coach in the AFL now in Brendan McCartney, and we're talking about possibly bowing out at a pick where even we have managed to find a Tom McDonald, Dean Kent and JKH over the past few years.

McKenzie and Evans must have some bloody incriminating photos of someone....

• Like 1

If a rebuilding club that has won 40 games in 8 years doesn't use pick 40 in the national draft that'll just about be it for me.

We have the best development coach in the AFL now in Brendan McCartney, and we're talking about possibly bowing out at a pick where even we have managed to find a Tom McDonald, Dean Kent and JKH over the past few years.

Most of those photos are of the Essendon board and a goat, apparently Tania was taking notes. McKenzie and Evans have photos of Tania and.......

Pick 40 2010 Jacob Gilbee (G Coast) 6 games (prior to 2014 season)

2011 Tom Curran (Nth) 5 games

2012 Brodie Murdoch (StK) 0 games

2013 Jay Kennedy Harris(melb) 14 games(inc 2014)

Hardly world beaters there at pick 40.....Just saying

Edited by Bossdog
  • Like 1

I think I remember David Williams being delisted and was to be re drafted as a rookie after he was injured......Richmond then picked him up......Didn't work out for them but it could happen again....

That, or a contract...

And, really? Not using ND40 on some teenager and you are done? Roos thinks we have enough kids - that's why they targeted Newton.

• Like 1

That, or a contract...

And, really? Not using ND40 on some teenager and you are done? Roos thinks we have enough kids - that's why they targeted Newton.

I would be flabbergasted if we did not use ND40. Surely something is in the pipeline.

• Like 1

Roos said in an article somewhere- after we picked up Newton, that we have pick 2,3 and 40 in the draft, so all should be good. Someone find it and post it.

Might have been his press conference but I heard the same thing. Seems like they are going to use pick 40.

• Like 1

Pick 40 2010 Jacob Gilbee (G Coast) 6 games (prior to 2014 season)

2011 Tom Curran (Nth) 5 games

2012 Brodie Murdoch (StK) 0 games

2013 Jay Kennedy Harris(melb) 14 games(inc 2014)

Hardly world beaters there at pick 40.....Just saying

Used to work for Tom Currans uncle his racing stable, he used to say he had heaps of potential just bloody ruined by injuries

I think I remember David Williams being delisted and was to be re drafted as a rookie after he was injured......Richmond then picked him up......Didn't work out for them but it could happen again....

It was the Pre Season draft we planned on taking him back, rookie lists were introduced in 1996

I reckon we should take Lever over McCartin, i think Brayshaw is a really safe pick, but i think Lever is super impressive

I'm a big fan of Lever aswell I pumped him up earlier on and said he will be a gun recruit.

After thinking about it though I just don't think we just in a position to recruit a kid with pick 3 who hasn't played any footy this year and has done the dreaded ACL injury. Which has gone on to affect the careers of Max Gawn, David Rodan, Alex Johnson, Anthony Morabito and so on.

With all the early draft picks we have had in the last couple of years we MUST absolutely nail this one!! If we don't we will go down as an even bigger laughing stock then we are already in wasting our picks. Our clubs reputation will sky rocket even higher.

Get in guys that will most likely impact straight away e.g. Brayshaw and McCartin.

I'm a big fan of Lever aswell I pumped him up earlier on and said he will be a gun recruit.

After thinking about it though I just don't think we just in a position to recruit a kid with pick 3 who hasn't played any footy this year and has done the dreaded ACL injury. Which has gone on to affect the careers of Max Gawn, David Rodan, Alex Johnson, Anthony Morabito and so on.

With all the early draft picks we have had in the last couple of years we MUST absolutely nail this one!! If we don't we will go down as an even bigger laughing stock then we are already in wasting our picks. Our clubs reputation will sky rocket even higher.

Get in guys that will most likely impact straight away e.g. Brayshaw and McCartin.

I agree, i rate level neck in neck with Petracca as the most talented top end player in the draft, i am also a fan of Laverde, he just makes things happen, he perhaps tries too much at times but i see him as a really good AFL mid

McCartin and Hogan should set up our forward line for the next decade though

With the addition of newton today,

Could Melbourne pull a surprise and get

Two forwards in McCartin and Wright ?

We have Jones, Tyson, Viney, Toumpas, Salem, Michie, JKH,

newton, watts etc

so targets Dawes, Howe, hogan, mcCartin and Wright?

Something different.

With the addition of newton today,

Could Melbourne pull a surprise and get

Two forwards in McCartin and Wright ?

We have Jones, Tyson, Viney, Toumpas, Salem, Michie, JKH,

newton, watts etc

so targets Dawes, Howe, hogan, mcCartin and Wright?

Something different.

I hope not.

Think buddy and Roughead

It's outside the square.

But they are stocking up on midfielders.

forwards are hard to come by just ask

The Bulldogs and us.

Think buddy and Roughead

It's outside the square.

But they are stocking up on midfielders.

forwards are hard to come by just ask

The Bulldogs and us.

Stocking up on midfielders! Now I've heard it all. What a wonderful abundance we have. Why bother with any more... Lol!

Name more than one A grader? Maybe, just maybe Nate Jones. And then......... zilch.

If we don't take one or both of Petracca and Brayshaw then god help us.

Edited by Moonshadow