NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

I don't think Blease will make it as a forward because he doesn't read the play well enough, doesn't have the engine, can't kick left foot and is useless in the air.

He hits more targets on his left than he does on his right. Half his goals have been on the left.

• Like 2

Just watched the game again and i have to say i'm really impressed with Bail. Not sure how many touches he had but always seemed to be pushing for the option up front. Loved that goal in the third when he busted through the pack, picked up the ball and goaled. Also not sure about the effectiveness that Tyson had but it 'seemed' that he made quite a few skill errors throughout the game.

Also as poor as Pedo was last year, you have to hand it to him for giving it everything on Friday night. Certainly wasn't backing away from anything this time round, and seemed to run himself into the ground. Good on him.

Wouldn't be too concerned, have a look at some of his quick hands in close if you want to see how effective he will be.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I heard dwayne fhead russel tell me JKH was on neighbours only 393747872 times during friday nights match

I think we all need to get used to that "interesting fact" Red. Even in his last year commentators never seemed to tire from telling us that Brad Green trialled with Man U

Just watched the game again, and very excited about Trengove.....he will be like a new recruit if he keeps it up.

Watched the game a few times and still don't understand why people are getting excited about Trengove again.

I wouldn't consider myself a knocker - I've been really looking for the outstanding on ground qualities for some time.

I wish I had more time to do my own summary of every time he was near the ball, but watching the NAB game again, I saw a dropped mark, running past a pack when the ball was very much still being contested, saw him get his hand on the ball in a contested situation only for it to get cleared by Richmond 5 seconds later.

I know he kicked a goal, got the odd clearance, but a number of his early possessions were won from strategically won free kicks rather than playing in front and taking off to attack, (as I noticed Grimes did a few times during the game and looked great).

I suspect there's a significant gap between Trengove and a host of other players' influence on the game. Know he was injured last year, but by all accounts he's had a full pre-season.

Happy for someone to convince me otherwise by providing examples (quoting quarter & time of the Melb v Rich NAB game) of where he had a really significant impact.

Is he wearing a few more scars than others from the last 2-3 years that he needs to dispose of to become a really good player again?

Not trying to bag the guy, just trying to figure out where he's really at.

• Like 1

Happy for someone to convince me otherwise by providing examples (quoting quarter & time of the Melb v Rich NAB game) of where he had a really significant impact.

Is he wearing a few more scars than others from the last 2-3 years that he needs to dispose of to become a really good player again?

I am not going to give you any time stamps, but Trengove worked hard and played in Roos' system well. A system that really suits him. You may say that some of his touches didn't affect the game much - of course they didn't.

How many of 445 touches do you think is going to be 'important' - especially in a game where we only had 40 I50s and 14 goals?

But when you add up the 'ineffectual' touches from Trengove, Vince, Grimes, Cross, the Jones', and a few others it reads complete domination of that football game.

• Like 1

Watched the game a few times and still don't understand why people are getting excited about Trengove again.

I wouldn't consider myself a knocker - I've been really looking for the outstanding on ground qualities for some time.

I wish I had more time to do my own summary of every time he was near the ball, but watching the NAB game again, I saw a dropped mark, running past a pack when the ball was very much still being contested, saw him get his hand on the ball in a contested situation only for it to get cleared by Richmond 5 seconds later.

I know he kicked a goal, got the odd clearance, but a number of his early possessions were won from strategically won free kicks rather than playing in front and taking off to attack, (as I noticed Grimes did a few times during the game and looked great).

I suspect there's a significant gap between Trengove and a host of other players' influence on the game. Know he was injured last year, but by all accounts he's had a full pre-season.

If you need to ask, then you either don;t understand footy or didn't watch the game properly

Bail + Jay Kenedy-Harris = some excitement amongsy Melbourne fans for this season!

Dknow about Bail getting me overly excited...

He definitely got himself in the game, provided great run and support and hit some targets. However, his two set shots and a few targets he missed are still very damaging to the team, especially when we have a couple of others in the team in the same boat. Nicholson, McKenzie perhaps Evans.

Some of the targets Vince was hitting were just really smart kicks that were opening up play. Toumpas has the same ability as does Trengove and even Jones has fantastic vision and really splits the defence open with his kicks. Over-time we're going to need players who can commit to and execute these kinds of kicks if we're going to match it with the best.

I still see McKenzie handballing to players right next to him because he doesn't have the vision or smarts to go for those kicks.

I'm probably nitpicking, but it's important for the team that we get the balance right.

Hawthorn are the absolute pinnacle of what I'm talking about. Players who split teams apart with their foot skills and many of those players still possess fantastic endurance, contested ball winning ability etc.

They're an unbelievable side to watch.

Dknow about Bail getting me overly excited...

He definitely got himself in the game, provided great run and support and hit some targets. However, his two set shots and a few targets he missed are still very damaging to the team, especially when we have a couple of others in the team in the same boat. Nicholson, McKenzie perhaps Evans.

Some of the targets Vince was hitting were just really smart kicks that were opening up play. Toumpas has the same ability as does Trengove and even Jones has fantastic vision and really splits the defence open with his kicks. Over-time we're going to need players who can commit to and execute these kinds of kicks if we're going to match it with the best.

I still see McKenzie handballing to players right next to him because he doesn't have the vision or smarts to go for those kicks.

I'm probably nitpicking, but it's important for the team that we get the balance right.

Hawthorn are the absolute pinnacle of what I'm talking about. Players who split teams apart with their foot skills and many of those players still possess fantastic endurance, contested ball winning ability etc.

They're an unbelievable side to watch.

The gameplan is protection of the football. The players that live up to that ethos will play.

Both Bail and McKenzie lived up to that on Friday. Their form will dictate their presence in the team, not our preconceived notions about how they would play based on how they played prior to this year.

• Like 1

There wasn't any "wow" moments that players like Danger, Ablett, Hodge do etc but I don't think thats his game.

It was just a good, solid game.

I find it odd that you seem to be saying it was just an average game. If he continues to produce 29 touches, a few clearances and a goal each game this year we will be a hell of lot more competitive then previous years.

I was very happy with his game and I think he will get cleaner with his skills as the year goes on.

• Like 1

The gameplan is protection of the football. The players that live up to that ethos will play. Both Bail and McKenzie lived up to that on Friday. Their form will dictate their presence in the team, not our preconceived notions about how they would play based on how they played prior to this year.

I gave examples of mistakes they continue to make and eventually we will need to eradicate these if we are to get to continue to improve. Their form for now is indeed what will decipher their presence in the team, however over time I hope that it will not be form alone as these players are not well rounded enough and are too limited as players.

I am aware that we are still making baby steps as a side, consolidating a best 22 for now and still learning and fine tuning the way in which Paul Roos wants us to play. However, I'm also aware that with recruiting and development of other young players on our list, we will need player upgrades. Those who display a greater number of attributes will obviously fill positions available from players who are more limited in ability. I don't know why I'm bringing this up because I know you're more than aware, but your response confused me.

We will continue to add quality to our list now that the recruiting department looks to be in 'working order' as well as our development program and standard of coaching. Viney, Toumpas, Salem, Barry will hopefully, after enough development and natural maturity take the positions currently held by McKenzie, Bail, Nicholson, Evans.

There wasn't any "wow" moments that players like Danger, Ablett, Hodge do etc but I don't think thats his game.

I find it odd that you seem to be saying it was just an average game. If he continues to produce 29 touches, a few clearances and a goal each game this year we will be a hell of lot more competitive then previous years.

I was very happy with his game and I think he will get cleaner with his skills as the year goes on.

What I liked most about Trengove's game was the number of times things came to a stop because there was nobody in good position, and Trengove was the one who came gut-running from a long way away to make position for the next pass & keep the possession chain going (the other one who was very good at doing this, by the way, was Georgiou). Just intelligent, accountable footy that maintains possession. He's also, the vast majority of the time, a good decision-maker when he has the ball, and he showed this during the game too.

I think this is Trengove's thing - so often the right person in the right position at the right time to do the right thing - take a great forward mark & convert, or a saving mark in defence, or punch the ball through for the winning point, and so on. Very Bartel.

• Like 4

No one seems to have commented on that deplorable umpiring decision (inQ2?), when Cross was shoved in the back, and Martin made sure he kneed his head. The decision? Free to Richmond, resulting in a goal. Apparently the ump interpreted it as a deliberate dive to try and draw a free. It didn't look like that to me, with my admittedly biased eyes.

By the way , someone should grab Martin's fingers when he does that fend off, and bend them back as far as they'll go(or further). There's something about his skunk-like hairdo that makes it very hard to like him.

• Like 2

Yep I take what you're saying on board - maybe he's not a "wow" moments player.Someone like Hodge can pick up 20 odd possession in a game, but with half a dozen that really stick out.

Good to get the hands on the footy and a few ppl have quoted how many touches he got, but I'm hoping for a bit more than a single stat.

i.e. - link handball/kick as we chip our way out of the back line VS. clearances from a stoppage

- outcome of possession in a 2v1 type situation VS posession in a 1v2 type situation

- disposal effectiveness, etc.

This is where Vince, Cross & Tyson are adding value in different degrees. Maybe this type of info on the NAB games is out there somewhere.

It's pretty clear that the new game plan leaves us far less exposed when there's a clanger, but in the cut & thrust of the real season, we'll be paying a much bigger price for mistakes.

What I liked most about Trengove's game was the number of times things came to a stop because there was nobody in good position, and Trengove was the one who came gut-running from a long way away to make position for the next pass & keep the possession chain going (the other one who was very good at doing this, by the way, was Georgiou). Just intelligent, accountable footy that maintains possession. He's also, the vast majority of the time, a good decision-maker when he has the ball, and he showed this during the game too.

I think this is Trengove's thing - so often the right person in the right position at the right time to do the right thing - take a great forward mark & convert, or a saving mark in defence, or punch the ball through for the winning point, and so on. Very Bartel.

Really constructive comments there Akum. I'll keep those in mind when I get the chance to have another look at the replay.

• Like 1

Yep I take what you're saying on board - maybe he's not a "wow" moments player.Someone like Hodge can pick up 20 odd possession in a game, but with half a dozen that really stick out.

This is where Vince, Cross & Tyson are adding value in different degrees. Maybe this type of info on the NAB games is out there somewhere.

On the first point, I have confidence he will get there and maybe start adding some treats to his highlights realm once he gets all his confidence back. As for now, if he is doing what he did against the Tiges each week for this season then I will be stoked!!

As for your second point about adding value, spot on. Great recruiting of players.

No one seems to have commented on that deplorable umpiring decision (inQ2?), when Cross was shoved in the back, and Martin made sure he kneed his head. The decision? Free to Richmond, resulting in a goal. Apparently the ump interpreted it as a deliberate dive to try and draw a free. It didn't look like that to me, with my admittedly biased eyes.

By the way , someone should grab Martin's fingers when he does that fend off, and bend them back as far as they'll go(or further). There's something about his skunk-like hairdo that makes it very hard to like him.

I for one don't like the fend off to the neck. The best way to discourage it is to bring your arm up sharply to the elbow of the fender. This has 2 benefits, 1 the hand comes into contact with the face - free kick . 2 The damage to the elbow will stop you from doing it again. Problem solved.

• Like 2

What I liked most about Trengove's game was the number of times things came to a stop because there was nobody in good position, and Trengove was the one who came gut-running from a long way away to make position for the next pass & keep the possession chain going (the other one who was very good at doing this, by the way, was Georgiou). Just intelligent, accountable footy that maintains possession. He's also, the vast majority of the time, a good decision-maker when he has the ball, and he showed this during the game too. I think this is Trengove's thing - so often the right person in the right position at the right time to do the right thing - take a great forward mark & convert, or a saving mark in defence, or punch the ball through for the winning point, and so on. Very Bartel.

Totally agree. Trengove's career from this point will be built on selfless running, presenting and securing possession. He won't be lighting the place up with brilliant skills or creative genius like Howe, JKH, Toumpas, but will become the essence of the team's intelligence and hardworking ethic that Nathan Jones has been trying to do solo for the past however many years.

• Like 2

I for one don't like the fend off to the neck. The best way to discourage it is to bring your arm up sharply to the elbow of the fender. This has 2 benefits, 1 the hand comes into contact with the face - free kick . 2 The damage to the elbow will stop you from doing it again. Problem solved.

Haha, I suspect it may be a little more tricky than that!

Haha, I suspect it may be a little more tricky than that!

Have you ever bent your elbow the wrong way? Believe me once is too often!

• Like 1