NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Dwayne Russell is the absolute worst at that. Condescending twit of the highest order.

Will Brereton ever shut the F#*k up god we have 12 games on fox this year and will have to put up with Inane Russell and Motormouth dumbarse Brereton I would like to know why that idiot is there

After recovering from last night and then attempting to watch the replay on Foxtel Go on my phone to not wake the wife up general thoughts below.

Great to see us run hard, use quick hands to clear the ball out of contests to give time to set up, transition the ball by foot with angles through the ground rather than just laterally to then go nowhere.

Vince is not just a great kick but a smart decision maker and I cant wait to see him and Watts pairing through the middle with that style of play.

When we handballed, we handballed flat and to the players advantage.

When we tackled we stuck them.

I thought Strauss was really good with the ball but was done in the contest particularly on the lead. I thought Terlich was great in the contest but he holds the ball for too long and causes errors up the ground. Merge the two together and that is exactly what we are looking for from a small back.

JKH close to locked at least a sub spot round 1 and that was without big fella's to sit at the feet of.

Trengove's game was a carbon copy of Ryan O'Keefe's style at Sydney. That is exactly who he should be modelling on.

As much as he got good ball first half I found Tyson a bit disappointing first up. Missed some easy kicks and twice went in to the contest with arms rather than with his head over the ball.

If we actually ever have three tall forwards I feel sorry for the poor fourth backmen that has to take Howe.

As much as they are limited I expect Bail and Nicholson will play more than people expect and will play their roles well.

• Like 6

Toumpas' game was what I would expect from a 19 year old - lots of energy and run while getting into the wrong spots quite a bit.

He had 10 marks which tells me he was pushing hard into space to get on the end of some kicks and providing an option for his teammates with that selfless running.

As is said in that 'game style by rd 5' thread - the most pleasing thing was that there was a recognisable idea of how MFC players get the ball down the ground: hit players moving into space, honour runners moving past, use short kicks in any direction to maintain possession if you can't move it quickly and if you keep your work rate up, mistakes will be forgiven.

Toumpas did his little, 19 year old part in that...

• Like 3

Have to take my hat off to George stone and Ben mathews, in one pre season we have developed a hard working, hard tackling midfield team that will be very competitive and the individual improvements are fantastic, Trengove looked alot better to me, Jones didn't have to do it all himself, Tyson looked great

• Like 2

Will Brereton ever shut the F#*k up god we have 12 games on fox this year and will have to put up with Inane Russell and Motormouth dumbarse Brereton I would like to know why that [censored] is there

What a patronising [censored] Dermie has developed into.

The censored above was [censored] I think it appropriate in this context.

because he isn't a player who "racks em' up" (possessions), he is a player who uses the ball extremely effectively. Thats why he will be important to us, and thats why he will be damaging to teams. We now have people in the midfield to get the ball out and move the ball, Toumpas can comfortably play that silky sniper roll and deliver the ball lace out to our forwards, or get us out of tight situations with his sniper boot. Evidence:

"And second-year midfielder Jimmy Toumpas ($240,800) showed some of his glittering potential, needing just 12 disposals to power to 86 points." (super coach).

Not bad for 12 possies, i say.

Wait til' he gets an older Salem in there too for some run and support, not to mention Viney, Watts and a Dom Tyson who plays an entire game.

For me he still looks a scared of the contest, it's what holds Watts back and held Morton back.

The kid can play, but it's this physicality that is a concern.

A couple of minutes to go and we knew we had it won. Down on L1 all we Dees supporters started cheering and stamping, celebrating like we hadn't for years. A Richmond supporter behind me said in a puzzled voice to his mate, 'It's as if they have never won a game - oh, hang on...' 560 people reading this thread at midnight sums up the elation of a great win.

For me he still looks a scared of the contest, it's what holds Watts back and held Morton back.

The kid can play, but it's this physicality that is a concern.

Both he and Pedersen sometimes stood out for jogging when they should have been running. Possibly fatigue but it was happening throughout the game.

He is a very smart user of the footy, that much is clear. Loved when he was calling for a player to come towards him, possibly Bail, and then hit Howe on the lead with a pinpoint pass. It was either a bluff or a last minute decision, but either way it was an exciting look at what he brings to the table.

I'm watching the replay now and I'm actually comfortable when Dunn has the ball in his hand. He's always had the skill, he's just playing within his means now.

Praising Dunn? That's called treading dangerously around these parts..

I thought he was very good also. Dare I say it, looked a leader out there at times.

• Like 3

Dunn one of the best for mine, really enjoyed seeing the new guys out there, let's not get ahead of ourselves yet though, we've got the Cats next!

I was very excited watching Jimmy T last night. The boy kicked beautifully, is composed and TOOK HITS.

A selfless player on the list? Wtf is going on?

mmmm just a hitout.

toump,viney,barry and jhk. being led up for thier 2/3rd preseasons and will swap around and protect them this year.

dunn.pedo,tmac types will do similar jobs for year and be good fillers,thats whats required in modern footy.

filled the midfield void and made it easier for the younger brigade to get value for age.

terlich.said this last year,kamikaze in a rubbish squad,boss has tightened up his turnover rate and made responsible for when he has pill.

grime/trenner gravediggers that can now do whats best for thier and our game.

rucks,work in progress and coach loves 2 ruckman.they will all get a go, and WHEN fit,

all in all ,it was a hitout,nothing more nothing less.

oh i'm sorry, they should talk about how good our family days at Luna Park are instead. We deserve everything they say, although last night was the first step in them not ragging us.

regaining r.e.s.p.e.c.t. i think they all talk about it. the Jones boy may have recently mentioned it himself, our Co Captain.

We have too many players who can't kick on our list, Nicholson, Mckenzie,Spencer, Cross.......amazingly you'd think at AFL level a selected player should be an elite kick and if thet aren't you'd practice. Bail missed a couple of regulation kicks for goal but gets one from an acjute angle. Again until we get more skilled players into the side we won't be a consistently competitive side.

interesting isn't it we had the skilled players out last night, & the hard runners & physical players in & severely undermanned up forward but we won. the skilled types were up in the stands. or on the bench.

competative isn't the score, its doing the right things at the right time & being physical in our game. the polish ontop of being competative, is the disposal skill.

you may call it nail polish with some.

Edited by dee-luded

A couple of minutes to go and we knew we had it won. Down on L1 all we Dees supporters started cheering and stamping, celebrating like we hadn't for years. A Richmond supporter behind me said in a puzzled voice to his mate, 'It's as if they have never won a game - oh, hang on...' 560 people reading this thread at midnight sums up the elation of a great win.

It's stuff like that which adds some icing to the cake. They've been the most under performing side of the last 30 years, and yet because the won a couple last year they think they are the new Geelong. I thoroughly enjoy every setback they have because I know they'll rub my nose in every gain.

• Like 1