Training - Friday 7th February, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Reading all the reports, can I ask those who were there if this is a fair summary.

Looks like there is going to be a clearer game plan that the whole team is working towards. More depth in the midfield with better delivery into the forward line. But overall on the basis of today's hit out we are still in for a lot of skill errors and bad decisions under pressure.

By the sounds of it Roosy is going to have to use all his powers of Zen to stay calm in the face of plenty of maddening coach killer turnovers that he can't do anything about. Just hope the groups confidence builds in the face of these continuing costly errors, until they stop happening.

Seems to me Roosy's single biggest job will be psychological. Building the confidence back in the group. Amazing how skills and decision making seem to magically improve when confidence builds.

• Like 1

Yes, they were blowing some cobwebs out of the way.

I'm liking how the midfield will look this year. Jones x 2, Tyson, Vince, Cross, Viney, Trengove, Watts, Michie, Toumpas, McKenzie. It should be far more competitive.

Midfield of the whites, we're excellent, but even more impressive defending. The blues were simply unable to break through their press. Cross was perfect in his application of filling the hole, whilst Vince and Jones are so footy smart. Somewhat exciting when you think you're adding a fit Trengove (who during skills for me did look quicker today, not so much sprinting, but first 5 steps quicker), a developing Toumpas, a bull in Viney and whoever else raises their hand.

Saw a few people comment on Matt Jones today saying what a good game he had for the Blues. I saw him very actively involved, and for him and Michie I felt like they would have looked alot better on the other team, with players moving for them, but I didn't see in MJ what others did. He is a fantastic accumulator, he gets to the right spots but his disposal by foot is so clumsy. They're not disastrous clangers, but its always a kick 1 meter behind or in front and a handball that bounces before it gets to them. Love his endeavour, but I'm not sure he's best 22.

Blease was another who I have no opinion on up until today. He's always frustrated with his selfish one way football and poor tank, but today he was decent. He seemed to run hard, he gave many options and at times he was working hard to defend. It was encouraging. However, in the first period he made a classic Blease error where he ran hard to get a mark, had no options, rushed and kicked the ball straight out on the full from a completely uncontested situation. It was there when I realised he will surprise me if he is a mainstay in our team.

Not sure if many paid attention given the game that was going on, but Viney was flat out embarrassing Riley in the running around the oval. He literally has only one attitude to football, and it's just to destroy whoever he's competing with. He was enjoying Riley's struggles. On that note, don't be expecting Riley for a while. His leg must be quite sore because his running fitness was not up to standard for a midfielder in today's limited rotations football. He's got 8 weeks to work on it never the less.

Hogan worked hard today and was looking incredibly frustrated by the delivery or lack there of. When Strauss hit him with one of the lead outside 50, he almost let out an enormous ****! in relief. Salem I had no expectations for before, and he blew me away. His composure was fantastic given so little training, and his left foot is gorgeous. For the person above who asked about Dom Barry, he was disappointing in the game, but his skills in the training before hand were great. I was quite impressed. Evans also trained very well, and they seem to have him in the midfield group not half forward last year, but was also a little bit off in the match simulation.

I personally prefer Strauss to Clisby and Terlich, someone earlier wrote that he butchered one which he did, but his footwork around the ground is unrivalled at our club. I say with absolute certainty he is the best kick at our club, both in execution and in technique. Flawless. In other battles today JKH is clearly our best FP. Shannon Byrnes offered absolutely nothing today and I was very disappointed.

43.. Who I believe is Harmes but could be Hunt was decent in defence. King looks raw but is sadly probably our most 'skilled' big man. Great kick on him. I'd say Jamar is our first ruck, with Spencer his back up at this point. Gawn blew up 2nd quarter.

Anyone has any particular players they'd like to know about, happy to answer!

• Like 10

another thing cam Pederson needs a different nickname/callsign. At the moment everyone yells out Pedo Pedo, not real comfortable with that, some might argue that because of some past indiscretions I am a little sensitive however I believe Cam Cam would be much better, I am being serious, also did anyone notice the lack of handball, we seem to be more intent to switch and setup, the yarra looked wonderful today

Pederson needs a different nickname/callsign

Perhaps...Priest? Father?

Edited by Dinosaur Rover
  • Like 2

Decent set of training exercises until the game started. 3 quarters. White had the stronger midfield and by having Grimes and Frawley probably the stronger backline.

First quarter saw the ball sit in white's forward half as Dunn, McDonald, Strauss and a few others tried to methodically work the ball out. They moved the ball with some control but a bad Blease turnover and a few others undid a lot of the bad work. Toumpas got the first goal on Strauss due to a turnover from someone else but then Toumpas got his other goals on various opponents and without discrediting him too much he was a bit right place right time I sensed.

The focus seemed a lot on moving the ball from the back half without rushing and whilst the kicking wasn't too bad it didn't seem to break open. But then that's often how games go. Being forced in to a long kick to a contest down the line isn't neccesarily a bad thing and has to happen especially on smaller grounds.

Their wasn't quite the level of physicality that made it a real match. It was quite odd to watch actually. The ruck contests involved the ruckmen bodying up not taking runs and jumps. The play was often reset from tackles to a free kick not a ball up.

Q1. Standouts
Jamar - won the ruck contests against Gawn and got involved around the ground

Salem - was involved in the first 3 scores. Beautiful kick and knows how to get space on his left. Picks the ball up off the deck well. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays some super VFL footy from day one

Strauss - an ambitious handball to start and later an ambitious long kick but some of his handballs around the edges of packs set up team mates, was used as a sweeper

Matt Jones - lots of run and found space for the blue midfield

Michie - Clearance work, inside work and outside work

Toumpas - on the end for a couple of goals

Q2. Standouts

N. Jones - got involved in a lot of play

Frawley - was opposed to young Westrupp who after getting a bath down back was made to play full forward, but Chip had run and presence
Vince - started finding the ball and using his long kick

Q3. Standouts

Jay KH - started in the second quarter and kept bobbing up. A great run from half back where he just held the ball until the option came

Spencer - a big strong mark and accurate kick to a lead and getting involved in play

Tyson - started to win some clearances and show his poise in congestion and get a few outside touches.

The overall slow kicking from half back wasn't amazing but it wasn't too bad either. Most things were just standard I'd say given the type of simulation it was. The biggest improvement is the handballing around contested packs is now much sharper and did actually lead to guys getting free in space. It was the one thing that stood out to me that really looked like a huge improvement.

• Like 4

Anyone has any particular players they'd like to know about, happy to answer!

Agree with pretty much all your points. Matt Jones is an interesting one. He was clearly one of the better accumulators out there particularly early and has the ability to take a handball receive from congestion and from a clever run/angles he'll get out in space, but his worst turnovers particularly are when he puts it over a forwards head. It's sloppy kicking and undoes his great work. It will be tight but at the moment he'll probably sneak in to round 1 but how long he stays depends on his kicking. Bail is another like that and was one of the better outside mids today. Blease's efforts were encouraging, leading at the ball hard with pace and at one stage he showed what he can do by taking someone one. I liked his effort today but it's been years in the making and now he has to fix his decision making and skill deficiencies as well.

Also I wouldn't be too harsh on Riley who did a tonne of running on the other oval whilst Viney did pretty relaxed warm up drills. By the time they had started their long sprints around the oval it seemed Viney had played 1/4 and Riley 3/4, that's how I would see it. I was more impressed with Viney than disappointed with Riley. Remember Riley only started running at training in the new year so he's been going for about 4 weeks and has about 8 more weeks before they'll deem him fit to play. I see it like a Melbourne cup horse and he's still in August or early September. I'm hoping Viney on the other hand is back in full training soon and can play the second nab cup (I'm guessing it will be hard for those who didn't play today to play next week with those ill being the exception).

• Like 1

a lot of people are saying that Salem has put on a lot of size since he was drafted

He was only drafted just over 2 months ago, so not sure how he could have put on that much

I went down in December, and to me from them to now he looks at least 5kgs heavier.

Salem was in the top 5 on the ground, he just doesnt fumble, and has a bit if pace and exquisite skills.

Id love to see him in the side round one.

I have been going to preseason training at least twice a month if not more, for the last 7 years.....as Roos has said in his press conferences, it is just training, even he doesn't know what it will look like on game day........we have a lot of scars left over from the last few years........I like what i am seeing at training, but then again I liked what I saw in Bailey and Neeld's first year......I will wait till the end of the game against St Kilda before I begin to think everything has changed

Fair enough, but by gee they were impressive todsay..I have never seen them so inspired and they tackled very impressively.Toumpass showed why he was first picked last year.

Salem was in the top 5 on the ground, he just doesnt fumble, and has a bit if pace and exquisite skills.

Id love to see him in the side round one.

That half volley pick up on the lead, turn and pinpoint kick to the leading fwd was great to watch. Salem is a clean, one touch player with beautiful foot skills. Would think he need not be rushed, though. 10 yr player.

• Like 3

Yes, they were blowing some cobwebs out of the way.

I'm liking how the midfield will look this year. Jones x 2, Tyson, Vince, Cross, Viney, Trengove, Watts, Michie, Toumpas, McKenzie. It should be far more competitive.

Add Salem to this after today's efforts!

Can anyone evaluate Bail's performance today?

Is he a chance for round 1?

Edit - master, just saw your review on Bail.

No, I think the role he is playing, small forward/HFF he is behind Kent, JKH, Byrnes, Blease and from today Toumpas and Salem that played that HFF role. I think Bail and Tapscott will spend most of this year in Casey jumpers.

No surprise Salem dominated, best spent pick in the past decade for MFC.

There are no flaws in his game, he is inside by instinct - outside by skill and class. Tough, tenacious yet pure silk.

His game is tighter than Kelly's, his inside is far better than Freemans, his outside game has far more polish than Freeman's.

Player of the future, no doubt.

Good to see Toumpas get a kick to.

• Like 3

Found some ball, Made a key effort to spoil that then resulted in a chain of handballs (led by Salem) that resulted in a shot on goal. He wasn't bad. Foot skills still an issue but otherwise ok.

I'd say he's ahead of Tapscott, maybe Byrnes as well. About level with Evans and Blease. And if Roos decides to be very cautious with Kennedy-Harris and Salem then I'd have him some chance for round 1. What it pays to remember is Bail is a top 5 endurance athlete at the club. Therefore he is much more naturally suited playing high half forward and rotating in to the midfield. He is also an above average over head mark for a small guy. The 2 knocks are he doesn't find enough ball (which wasn't a problem initially but became one under Neeld) and can he use it. He was a positive in finding the ball today.

• Like 3

At one stage late in the game, Bail was being screamed at by the assistant coaches from the boundary. Seems he was not running hard enough to where the ball was, from what I could hear. They wanted him to hit the contest at centre bounces from his starting point on the edge of the square. He was jogging in when the ball was thrown up. His opponent was running in hard. Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Just food for thought... In order to have anything of a practice game where teams are chosen for some measure of balance whilst also providing an 'eye to the future' Im suggesting what anyone saw today in general is a watered down version of any team we CAN put together. Still some bigger names to return.

My point...if there was some semblance of decent improvement then it goes to argument come a real game with BEST team picked we ought to better by a mile...just saying

a lot of people are saying that Salem has put on a lot of size since he was drafted

He was only drafted just over 2 months ago, so not sure how he could have put on that much

Really? You dont think introducing an 18yr old undeveloped body to a professional gym routine couldn't gain results (5kg) over nearly 3 months? Good one