• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Wednesday 15th January, 2014

Whispering_Jack

I just got back from training. It was a quick hour on the track for the players.

That being said, it was not an easy session. Most were blowing bubbles very early and were stuffed at the end of the session. Not only was the humidity hard for the players, but the drills they did were bloody hard work.

It seemed that they were working on some more pressure, 2 way running and some tactical stuff in the drills today.

The first drills were 3 separate games of 5 on 5 after a tap down from the ruck. They had to run the ball to an end to score and then the other team got the ball. The focus was on picking up a man when defending, cutting your opponents space and blocking/ hitting their bodies to make it hard for them. Tackling was also full on here. By the end of this they were already knackered. Harmes was dry reaching and done and King was battling to move.

Next they did a drill focusing on carrying the ball out of defense and once on the HFF it reverted to carrying out of the HBF and hitting a lead up from CHF who quickly played on and hit a lead up FF. Was really happy with the skills on this drill and the voice.

Last drill they did was the hardest work. It was a full ground drill which started with either 5 on 5 or 6 on 6 in the middle and a FF at each end. They played around with quick hands in the middle until a coach called out a team who had to work the ball up to their FF. If they got it to the FF then the game swung around and the forwards became defenders and vice versa. The team then had to try and take the ball up the other end of the ground. Tackling, pressure etc. was full on and any mistake etc. was a turnover.

There were 2 sets of the 6 on 6 and each group worked for 3 or so minutes and then came off to swap. They did this probably 5 times each and each time they came off they were all stuffed.

During this drill you could here them focus on running to space, 2 way running and more importantly the defensive pressure, especially blocking ot getting a body on someone so they could not run to spcae.

Overall they trained really well, under the circumstances.

I have written on other training sessions, so you will probably know who I have rated so far, but from today the best trainers were:

* Barry - fast and skilful and pushed really hard running both ways

* Tyson - just silky and running is improving

* Dunn - I am not a huge fan of his but he is working hard and he has a beautfiul kick

* Pederson - worked his butt off and his defensive pressure on more nimble players was really good today

* JKH - continues to look really good

* Hunt - has speed to burn but I watched his skills today and he kicks the ball better than I thought

* Michie - I watched him closely today and he is really composed and strong over the ball

Did not see Vince, Jetta, Fitzy at all today while Viney, Dawes and Clark did some running/riding.

Was great to see all the players in their training jumpers with their real numbers, does make it easier for people who dont watch training so much. And yes, Stretch was wearing 7 and Brayshaw 15.

Also had a good chat to a mate of mine who works at the club, and he was telling me about some of the players. He does not pick the team, but if he did, he said JKH would be his smokey this year and says that Tyson is an absolute gun and a steal !!!

He also said Dawes is close to resuming full training as is Clark, but they are being very cautious with them both so they are ready for the start of the year. He said Clark only twinged the hammy but they are being very careful. Also said seeing Hogan hurt his knee, you would have thought he did an ACL, but only a couple of weeks, so we are bloody lucky !!!

Also said Salem was quite sick before Xmas and they are just taking it easy with him as he will be a very good 10 year player, so there is no rush this year.

Any questions I am happy to try and answer.

• Like 43

I just got back from training. It was a quick hour on the track for the players.

That being said, it was not an easy session. Most were blowing bubbles very early and were stuffed at the end of the session. Not only was the humidity hard for the players, but the drills they did were bloody hard work.

It seemed that they were working on some more pressure, 2 way running and some tactical stuff in the drills today.

The first drills were 3 separate games of 5 on 5 after a tap down from the ruck. They had to run the ball to an end to score and then the other team got the ball. The focus was on picking up a man when defending, cutting your opponents space and blocking/ hitting their bodies to make it hard for them. Tackling was also full on here. By the end of this they were already knackered. Harmes was dry reaching and done and King was battling to move.

Next they did a drill focusing on carrying the ball out of defense and once on the HFF it reverted to carrying out of the HBF and hitting a lead up from CHF who quickly played on and hit a lead up FF. Was really happy with the skills on this drill and the voice.

Last drill they did was the hardest work. It was a full ground drill which started with either 5 on 5 or 6 on 6 in the middle and a FF at each end. They played around with quick hands in the middle until a coach called out a team who had to work the ball up to their FF. If they got it to the FF then the game swung around and the forwards became defenders and vice versa. The team then had to try and take the ball up the other end of the ground. Tackling, pressure etc. was full on and any mistake etc. was a turnover.

There were 2 sets of the 6 on 6 and each group worked for 3 or so minutes and then came off to swap. They did this probably 5 times each and each time they came off they were all stuffed.

During this drill you could here them focus on running to space, 2 way running and more importantly the defensive pressure, especially blocking ot getting a body on someone so they could not run to spcae.

Overall they trained really well, under the circumstances.

I have written on other training sessions, so you will probably know who I have rated so far, but from today the best trainers were:

* Barry - fast and skilful and pushed really hard running both ways

* Tyson - just silky and running is improving

* Dunn - I am not a huge fan of his but he is working hard and he has a beautfiul kick

* Pederson - worked his butt off and his defensive pressure on more nimble players was really good today

* JKH - continues to look really good

* Hunt - has speed to burn but I watched his skills today and he kicks the ball better than I thought

* Michie - I watched him closely today and he is really composed and strong over the ball

Did not see Vince, Jetta, Fitzy at all today while Viney, Dawes and Clark did some running/riding.

Was great to see all the players in their training jumpers with their real numbers, does make it easier for people who dont watch training so much. And yes, Stretch was wearing 7 and Brayshaw 15.

Also had a good chat to a mate of mine who works at the club, and he was telling me about some of the players. He does not pick the team, but if he did, he said JKH would be his smokey this year and says that Tyson is an absolute gun and a steal !!!

He also said Dawes is close to resuming full training as is Clark, but they are being very cautious with them both so they are ready for the start of the year. He said Clark only twinged the hammy but they are being very careful. Also said seeing Hogan hurt his knee, you would have thought he did an ACL, but only a couple of weeks, so we are bloody lucky !!!

Also said Salem was quite sick before Xmas and they are just taking it easy with him as he will be a very good 10 year player, so there is no rush this year.

Any questions I am happy to try and answer.

Well written summary of training mate, felt like I was there.

I've been saying that all along (Tyson) so no surprise I agree with your mate. Will be a star this bloke.

• Like 5

Thanks Yoko and all other reporters.

How was Watts today

Is he still showing the skills under the more intense pressure all seem to be describing. Is he showing any signs of distress through heat and that intensity. is he contributing through tackling blocking, the Harder defensive stuff, is he being an effective outside contributor.

thanks for the reports fellas

Havent got to one in the new Roos era yet .

Something I do take from these reports is we seem at last to be learning a much better game of footy.

I watched sessions over the years with the Preacher , Bails and Neeld , though in a way they seemed more Craig than Neeld and amongst all that I saw bugger all in terms of high level tactical footy. They were pedestrian in the main, going through all the 'good old ' stuff that yo did at training ( at lower levels ) without seemingly having any style or panache about them. Stock standard footy training and we were mercilessly pumbled over the years by better teams with better footy. Yeah sure we player 'beautiful flowing footy' for a while but we were easily shown up as lightweights once it got narky.

i think it looks ( sounds ) like we're learning "AFL footy for winning"

Looking forward to getting down to the paddock soon...seems like we may have caught up some :)

• Like 3

It would be all guess work, so if I was guessing 3-4 weeks.

You'd think it would be earlier than that if he supposedly only 'strained' his hammy and the club are being extra cautious.

3-4 weeks is a serious hamstring injury so I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

As Yokozuna has said, they're being extra cautious with both. Which is a good thing. They'll both be right by the start of the season.

Appreciate the reports once again.

• Like 2

How was Watts today

Is he still showing the skills under the more intense pressure all seem to be describing. Is he showing any signs of distress through heat and that intensity. is he contributing through tackling blocking, the Harder defensive stuff, is he being an effective outside contributor.

I have been impressed with Watts. Having watched many sessions over the years, this is by far the hardest he has trained. The fact he is doing all the drills with the mids is basically making him have to work harder with his running.

His skills are still fantastic, specifically his kicking anf I have seen more effort and application when it comes to tackling and blocking. I dont think the coaching staff would let him get away with not doing it!!!! He was a little fumbly on the groud today, but that was later in the session when they were buggered. He still picked it up eventually and delivered well, but it shows he has more work to do.

In the last drill today the coaches used Garland (one of the leaders and our better defenders) as an example of lack of effort, where he was absolutely stuffed but let Howe sprint past without a block to receive the ball. Just another example of more accountability and getting the basics right.

• Like 12

Also popped down to training today and I'm a bit half glass empty, points to note include:-

*Casey Fields looks good

* Watts - hasn't bulked up in body, has in arms. Will never be a star in the midfield as won't win enough contested footy but will be damaging on the outside. Those comparing him to Mundy are off the mark, Mundy played mid for years and has a strong inside game. I think we need to get our head around he will be an average to good player, not a star. Also wouldn't be that fit compared to most mids so be interesting to see if he can gut run defensively the way Roos likes, history and his attitude say unlikely

* Cross' wage is paid off by his training standards, was disturbing that he was last on the track

- where is everyone else?

* JKH was impressive

* Blease is frustrating, don't think he will make it as a mid, small forward due to his tank and he isn't fit enough to run defensive in the Roos game plan

* reality is we have some issues heading in to the season.

Viney, Clark, Dawes, Jamar etc all in best 22 and haven't played or trained much in last 12 months - ages away from being a good fitness base for all of them. for mine we have too many on reduced programs and am worried about that

* Spencer is huge now, shame he can't kick or mark that well. Will always provide a contest

* Howe is a great athlete, looks in top nick as does Dunny and Garland (underrated and should be VC, will provide great support to the captain)

* Trengove is slow but you just want him to make it as he is a leader and great trainer, fingers crossed

* Nicolson and Cross were practicing kicking, no surprises there

* No Roos as yet

* Michie an impressive size, think he will play a flank /mid position

*Tyson moves well, looks good. Hard to tell how fit he is but just moves so well

* Salem looks like he is not fit enough and has minimal muscle tone; dont expect him to play in 2014.

Young mids need a full pre season and he stood out with his lack of physique

* Toump looks good, future leader if he can play well

*Pedo is fit, whether he fits in the gameplan will be interesting

* Hunt is impressive, will be good in a couple of years

That's about all I can remember.

• Like 20

So they train at Casey to avoid the tennis crowds then head straight back to AAMI anyway, seems a bit strange? Is there really much disruption to the oval on Gosch's where we train? Or is this just a convenient excuse to fulfill our training commitments with Casey whilst we can.

I don't buy the poor players having to drive to Casey for training crap if they only do it sparingly but I don't really like them going to Casey then back to AAMI, isn't the gym at Casey up to scratch?

They train there because of the Ground, if they need to pump weights they usually go over to the Swimming pool as they have a first class gym, if the drive [censored] players off guys like Jack Watts wouldn't have signed for another 3 years.

How was Watts today

He worked hard today. looked good. good to see him busting his arse.

• Like 2

If Jamar (and a couple of others) are once again on modified preseasons, then we have a situation that needs addressing now. There is a preseason pattern with a few older players on our list and it aint pretty. Hopefully when our coach turns up, a few will toe the hardwork line, a little more religously. Agree with the Watts situation that he will be handy at best. Toumpas, Viney and the newbies are what excites me, however this means at least one more long season for us all, before consistency kicks in. We still seem to have those list cloggers that would be best described as showing potential, however this is the same as previous preseasons with them. Predicting around 6 wins for 2014, then bigger improvement in '15.

Also popped down to training today and I'm a bit half glass empty, points to note include:-

*Casey Fields looks good

* Watts - hasn't bulked up in body, has in arms. Will never be a star in the midfield as won't win enough contested footy but will be damaging on the outside. Those comparing him to Mundy are off the mark, Mundy played mid for years and has a strong inside game. I think we need to get our head around he will be an average to good player, not a star. Also wouldn't be that fit compared to most mids so be interesting to see if he can gut run defensively the way Roos likes, history and his attitude say unlikely

* Cross' wage is paid off by his training standards, was disturbing that he was last on the track

* JKH was impressive

* Blease is frustrating, don't think he will make it as a mid, small forward due to his tank and he isn't fit enough to run defensive in the Roos game plan

Viney, Clark, Dawes, Jamar etc all in best 22 and haven't played or trained much in last 12 months - ages away from being a good fitness base for all of them. for mine we have too many on reduced programs and am worried about that

* Spencer is huge now, shame he can't kick or mark that well. Will always provide a contest

* Howe is a great athlete, looks in top nick as does Dunny and Garland (underrated and should be VC, will provide great support to the captain)

* Trengove is slow but you just want him to make it as he is a leader and great trainer, fingers crossed

* No Roos as yet

*Tyson moves well, looks good. Hard to tell how fit he is but just moves so well

* Salem looks like he is not fit enough and has minimal muscle tone; dont expect him to play in 2014.

Thx for the report farmerwiz. Great that you could sum up so many career trajectories from one training session. ;)

• Like 7

If Jamar (and a couple of others) are once again on modified preseasons, then we have a situation that needs addressing now. There is a preseason pattern with a few older players on our list and it aint pretty. Hopefully when our coach turns up, a few will toe the hardwork line, a little more religously. Agree with the Watts situation that he will be handy at best. Toumpas, Viney and the newbies are what excites me, however this means at least one more long season for us all, before consistency kicks in. We still seem to have those list cloggers that would be best described as showing potential, however this is the same as previous preseasons with them. Predicting around 6 wins for 2014, then bigger improvement in '15.

Oh, what about Jolly & Mumford @ the Swans. they hardly looked like jeff white.

at the end of the day, Jamar hasnt done much playin or training in the last year or two and is on the decline after one good year in ten

we want to be a good side and need gawn to step up and need to get another ruckman. Spencer wont make it from my thoughts, however Fitzpatrick and Clark could be good fill ins if gawn got fit

*Casey Fields looks good

He will have to, Roos has a game plan and Premiership sides work to a coach's game plan not to the individual. Shape up or ship out.

Cut-throat time at the Dees. Too many years of pathetic football and selfishness across the entire club.

Teams win Premierships, not individuals.

• Like 1

*Casey Fields looks good

* JKH was impressive

* No Roos as yet

Heard of a player called Brett Deledio?

Often referred to as a star for displaying the same traits as you describe.

would have thought to date that watts hasnt displayed a great attitude for hard work, the contest, gut running, tackling which are all traits of a good midfielder.......he has more natural talent than luke hodge but hodge is the better player. Perhaps look at some of the traits i just mentioned and you will find your answer - pretty simple

Has been dropped several times for the above mentioned factors - thats the reality and as for the history, watch his last 5 years

Take off the rose coloured glasses

• Like 1

He will have to, Roos has a gameplan and Premiership sides work to a coaches gameplan not to the individual. Shape up or ship out.

Cut-throat time at the Dees. Too many years of pathetic football and selfishness across the entire club.

Teams win Premierships, not individuals.

Im hoping he does, his last 5 years have said he struggles mentally to gut run and put in 100% effort at all times. Lets hope it changes but as I mention it takes alot to change a blokes mindset and not being in the higher end for midfielders for fitness has me concerned that he will be able to gut run defensively as well as pressure, tackle etc. Jones does this because he has done it since under 10's for anyone that knows him

I spoke to Mark Jamar today. He is recovering from a hamstring injury, as are Mitch Clark and Max Gawn. Chris Dawes, we know, had knee surgery at the end of last season and is also easing into training. The Russian was at AAMI Park doing leg work as required by the club to assist in recovery from his hamstring injury. I think he used the plural so I assume at least one other (Jack Fitzpatrick?) would have been with him. There is no reason why at this stage of proceedings a conservative approach shouldn't be taken.

• Like 3

I spoke to Mark Jamar today. He is recovering from a hamstring injury, as are Mitch Clark and Max Gawn. Chris Dawes, we know, had knee surgery at the end of last season and is also easing into training. The Russian was at AAMI Park doing leg work as required by the club to assist in recovery from his hamstring injury. I think he used the plural so I assume at least one other (Jack Fitzpatrick?) would have been with him. There is no reason why at this stage of proceedings a conservative approach shouldn't be taken.

Nice to hear accurate things from the horses mouth. We are all impatient wanting all our players fully fit and training the house down when it's just not realistic. The Russian is 30, played plenty of games when you add the VFL ones to AFL games and his game is mainly about getting to contests rather than amazing running. I'm sure he can build match fitness as well and probably has a good base level of fitness. There's no point whinging that he's not second PB records in his running. Plus we've got Spencer and Gawn and all should at least be available for round 1.

I'll save my worrying for the key forwards if they are all still in rehab in a months time.