• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 6th January, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Oh and I don't agree that Kent was one of the most advanced in the rehab group. Still seemed to be favouring the knee a bit, although he did plenty of laps with Riley.

Dawes and Gawn were probably the closest to resuming full training as in they were running without much discomfort. Clisby ran plenty but he either has a strange running style or a niggle was making him run favouring one side slightly.

Tweet from Jon Pierik of the Age

Day 1 of NY training for @melbournefc and @CollingwoodFC and it's fair to say both lists were given a solid flogging on the training track

Sounds like there could be a report coming up in his newspaper on the two training sessions and a sign that football's getting closer.

Thanks to those who logged in their reports today. Interesting and yet disappointing to read those views on Sam Blease who seems to constantly struggle through pre seasons.

Perhaps his muscle fibres are so predominantly "fast twitch" that he finds it really difficult to adapt to the sort of training indicated for AFL footballers these days - Fast and slow twitch muscle fibers.

If there is anyone out there with knowledge in this area, I'd like to hear their views.

Thanks to those who logged in their reports today. Interesting and yet disappointing to read those views on Sam Blease who seems to constantly struggle through pre seasons.

Perhaps his muscle fibres are so predominantly "fast twitch" that he finds it really difficult to adapt to the sort of training indicated for AFL footballers these days - Fast and slow twitch muscle fibers.

If there is anyone out there with knowledge in this area, I'd like to hear their views.

It does not surprise that with his speed Blease would not have high end endurance however he should be much ahead of where he is. It is moreso his lack of application to the task that concerns me than his ability.

Agree that Dawes looked serious trim and ripped.

Thanks Bob, Big Red , Trenners and others for their training reports.

Blease was on a modified program before Xmas and maybe he has been told to work up slowly. I really hope this is the case. If his fitness level doesn't improve this year I agree with others that despite his moments of brilliance he may find himself traded or even worse delisted.

It is a good time of year as we haven't lost a game and everyone is enthusiastic. For every player we feel is burning up the training track every other club has someone doing the same. We will improve but that improvement needs to be able to eat into the gap between us and the other clubs. Most clubs improve in some way or other each year with of course a couple falling away and having bad years. Last year the Saints probably were the most dramatic in their decline.

The one thing that stood out to me in the session i attended before Xmas was the intensity and enthusiasm of the players. If that translates to confidence and winning games we will have a more enjoyable season. From what I hear anecdotally, Roos really has the players onside and that will be a huge diifference from his predecessor.

I went along as well. Back in town from London for a few weeks so took the opportunity. Also went to the Demon Shop at the G to get a new training jumper. Very happy with the purchase

I don't have much more to add to those comments above. I agree that training seemed to be at medium intensity, which is fair enough to ease back in after the break.

Although quite a few seemed pretty buggered after the 300m sprints, which were followed by run throughs in the middle of the ground, so not much let up which made things more difficult for those lacking fitness by the 4th 300m sprint.

Blease was paired with Garland in the 300's and I agree he really seemed to be taking it easy. Didn't want to push himself at all, wasn't even really blowing that hard. Maybe he was under instruction to take it a bit easy due to a niggle, but if not then he really needs to push himself more to get the best out.

Michie wasn't too bad but he seemed to struggle a bit. Probably need to build his fitness base a bit.

Tyson was impressive although he should probably move up a bit in his group. He caught up to those ahead, can't remember who he was paired with.

Toumpas has better fitness than I thought but he also gut runs really well. A stark contrast to Blease.

The players seemed to be in good spirits. Howe is a popular bloke and jokes around but still takes training seriously. Plenty of encouragement around as well, particular to Max King who hit the wall on the 4th 300m sprint and fell over but got up to finish.

Dawes is looking really strong but lean and ripped at the same time. He was moving pretty well and I reckon he'll be ready for Round 1.

It was nice to go along but back to London this week and I'll be watching online this year. Hopefully less grey hairs please.

Go Demons

I hope when you say "back in town from London" that means you're a Melbourne (city) local. I can't imagine what it must be like to support both the Melbourne Football Club and the English cricket team right now.

So I got there at about 10:10 which coincided with the start of the running after the end of what I presume was more footy related. As noted no Hogan or Clark by the time I was there.

Modified programs:
Dawes - doing a few laps and looking ok

Salem - didn't see how much he did but finished early

Jamar - not doing a lot

Gawn - doing some sprints

Clisby - they were working him hard with repeat sprints, possibly trying to get his speed up instead of fitness?

Byrnes and Viney did some laps (after coming from the main group)

Kent and Riley running copious laps at a good pace. Kent leading Riley out and Kenty was looking much more defined in the upper body (whilst still solid) and leaner in the lower body, I was impressed how he looked. Riley looked like a guy coming back from a bigger injury but moved on.

Main group:

300m sprints. Followed by a long modified suicide like sprints between markers like 60m, 40m, 20m sprints

They went off in 3 different groups divided in to pairs each time

Group A:

McDonald, Toumpas, Jones, Bail, Cross, M. Jones, Trengove, Howe, Grimes, Watts, Vince, McKenzie, Nicholson, Evans, Barry

Toumpas chasing McDonald and holding off Jones. Doing really well in the 300m then battling but working hard in the sprints. Everyone else keeping up really. Good to see Evans and Barry in this group. Great to see Watts!

Group B

Frawley, Michie, Tyson, Spencer, Harmes, Kennedy-Harris, Hunt, Tapscott, Strauss

Not a lot to note here. Pretty much everyone doing well. Good to see Tapscott in the main stuff and running well

Group C
Pedersen, Georgiou, Garland, Blease, Terlich, Jetta, Dunn, King

Blease might have tired at the 300's but he was beating the rest off in the repeat sprints. So it was a mix bag. The highlight here was on the last 300m about 60m in King dropped behind his partner Dunn who encouraged him to hurry up and at the moment he (whilst still running) had a big spray of powerade on the field, battling on he went another 50m before falling to the ground in a big heaving mess which caused a big laugh from the main group. But he got up and powered on to finish the 300m and a lot of the team mates cheered him on and gave him a pat on the back.

At the end of training a 4 of Cross, Tyson, Bail and McKenzie did some quick fire handball practice. Good to see. Frawley had a little kick of the footy and Spencer practice some contested marking body work with Rawlings. Strauss and McDonald (I think) were doing some tackling practice against each other (possibly just get a bit of feel and contract on to their shoulder post surgery).

Went down for my first session for the pre season.

Wasn't there for long but noticed a few things:

My first vision as I arrived was of Max Gawn humping Mitch Clark!!! not a pretty sight and mercifully short.

I have never heard so much chirp from the training group; really rowdy

I was pleased to see Dawes running with the rehab group but to me he looked a bit tight. he was certainly motoring though.

Riley was with the rehab group.

I noticed during one of the circular exercises Nicho kick a swirling helicopter punt that missed all targets by 30metres while with the next kick Watts did the same sort of rank pass which landed on the intended chest.

I was sure that Hogan was with the main group while I was there but they were in the centre of the ground and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I watched blease for most of the session. He did seem to glide through the 300's but I watched him closely in the 40 to 60metre sprints straight after. He was very good at the shorter distances and was able to run away from his group in most of them. This is obviously more his thing. It will be interesting to see how roosy uses him, if at all.

In my opinion today was just about a bit of kicking, marking and hand balling but mostly about running after new year. They were punished in those runs. Most seemed to go pretty well.

Spencer runs very well. He impressed me in the running at the end.

Poor maxy king vomited whilst running the last 300 and then had to stop on hands and knees for a bit more. Got up and finished and got lots of support.

Kent is running much better than what I saw before Xmas.

Hunt looks quick over all the distances they did.

Michie ran with frawley the whole time. Frawley looks great.

Dunn was in the last group and ran last with king which I found interesting.

For the running at the end viney and Byrnes ran their own thing and from what I heard viney was saying what they were doing. He is a leader that kid.

Dawes and jamar looked pretty good to me.

Spencer, Strauss and McDonald did a contested marking drill, shepparding and tackling drill after the running. Obviously working up tommy's and Strauss' shoulders.

Cross, Mckenzie, Tyson and I think it was bail did some extra handball work after it all finished.

I hope when you say "back in town from London" that means you're a Melbourne (city) local. I can't imagine what it must be like to support both the Melbourne Football Club and the English cricket team right now.

Haha no mate I'm an Aussie born in Melbourne. Been in the UK for just over a year. Have copped it a bit at work during the previous Ashes series so will be nice to head back and dish some sweet justice back

A few observations from today, some of which is merely to confirm the comments of others:

- Good to see a few supporters there, spotted a few Demonlanders I think.

- Conditions were blustery and bloody cold (compared to what I am used to).

- Caught Salem early on. Beautiful kicking style, hitting the target effortlessly, time after time. He hit the weights early which was a shame as I was loving his natural kick of the football.

- There's not much to Jayden Hunt but he was having a crack today. Really pushing himself in the running. His speed was good, but tired toward the end of the session.

- While the intensity was down I thought the players were given a reasonable amount of running today. As I mentioned earlier, Toumpas I watched closely and I was impressed with his speed and intensity. He is one player I will watch with particular interest this year.

- Viv Mitchie and Dom Tyson just look like genuine footy players and while it might not be this year, these two will make a big impact on our midfield in the years to come.

- Reily and Kent ran laps, The former looking like he has a way to go, our expectations should be for him to be pushing for spot late in the season. He is a great size. No doubt about it we are a much bigger sized team now.

- Dawes looks fit and lean. If he can stay fit and so too the players around him, he will prove his worth this year.

- Although Gawn was a part of the rehab group he looked fit today also. Ran laps early on with Dawes and then by himself.

- I think it was Matt Jones or maybe Clisby who was a part of the rehab group also. I observed a drill which saw him stand in the middle of two coaches, probably 100 metres apart and he had to mark/collect the ball, hand pass it back then turn a quickly do the same with the coach at the other end. It was a brief but intense little session, which made me feel tired just watching.

- I though Barry looked great today, has very muscular legs and can run. We may see him enter the side as a specific role player, perhaps initially as the sub. Could be our next Aaron Davey...?

- I though Byrnes looked pretty exhausted running laps with Viney today. I hate making quick observations such as this and people jumping to extreme conclusions, but it was obvious and disappointing. He was bought in to set an example.

- Speaking of which, Daniel Cross was moving smoothly today. He seems to have toned down a little, perhaps to maintain his pace? Looked great on the track.

- Giorgiou I watched closely. Whilst he doesn't seem like a natural kick of the footy I thought his skills today were good in the conditions.

- Was great to see Max King putting in to the point he did. Had a big spew and carried on. Great also to see the support the players offered (along with a few grins).

- Clark had a very light session and then went off to the gym. Looks toned, must be champing at the bit to get playing.

- Had a quick chat to Chip who is a hell of a nice bloke. Said he'd had a good break back in Ballarat. More than happy to stop and chat to a number of supporters.

- FWIW I thought Pederson was looking is great shape, 100% on where he was at this time last year.

- Mc Donald starred in the running, unbeatable it seems. Toumpas and Jones never far away.

- Good to see Evans in good shape, a forgotten part of the puzzle that could be a contributor.

- Howe full of banter today, he and Vince seem to have formed a close connection already which was good to see. Vince looks sharp, pretty much no nonsense from him today, trained/ran well.

Happy to answer questions, but really more running than anything today so hard to draw any firm conclusions from today. Might head along on Wednesday also.

I think Blease will be gone at the end of the year. Kid can seriously play but obviously lacks afl level fitness.

would you trade him to the dockers or eagles for a player?

the wide spaces in Perth would allow him to dash thru congestion to supply the forwards???

now who would we want from over there?

just sayin', if he's behind Barry & jkh, he may need a change of scenery.

would you trade him to the dockers or eagles for a player?

the wide spaces in Perth would allow him to dash thru congestion to supply the forwards???

now who would we want from over there?

just sayin', if he's behind Barry & jkh, he may need a change of scenery.

I'd trade Blease for almost any player on another AFL main list. Without top line fitness he very few make it and he has plenty of other gaps in his game. But Blease wont be traded if he has another season in 2014 like his 2013. He'll be delisted.

I got down there at 9.20 and players already out for warm ups. Trained for about 90 minutes with the first 60 minutes being ball work at medium intensity and the last 30 minutes being timed 4 reps of 300s with short straight line burst running in between each one. Without checking appears all in attendance.

Hogan did not train but was there early then disappeared.

Rehab group was Fitz, Clark, Dawes, Kent, Reilly, Jamar, Clisby and Gawn. Dawes and Kent looked most advanced but all were doing running with limited concern.

Salem, Viney and Byrnes did skill session but not 300s.

I thought the handball drills were very clean but the kicking a bit askew partly due to the swirly wind and partly due to the usual culprits.

None of the draftees look even close to ready although was impressed with how hard JKH pushed himself in the 300s.

The four players that stood out in the positive were Toumpas (best gut running all session), Evans (had put on good size and moved well all session), Howe (most polished all session) and Barry (stood out with his speed and silk).

The boys we traded for all have good body size and just go about their business as professionally as you would expect.

The most disappointing by far was Blease. How a player who has been in the system as long as him even with his layoff be at the tail end of the C grade group for running is beyond me. Even then he only appeared to coast whilst others busted a serious gut.

Excuse spelling mistakes as doing this off iPad on a tram on way home. Will edit up and add more later. Also happy to answer questions where possible.

That is AWESOME! The reports on Toumpas are always that he is busting a nut, the kid hasn't been sound for over 2 years, it's going to get hard to downplay the hype soon.

Howe is a special player as well, If he can transform his game into the midfield, then he could push into the elite bracket. I just don't see many weaknesses in his game, he could be an elite midfielder, I have no doubt. Good to also see Dom Barry training well, he is by far and away my favorite player on our list, he glides over the surface and was ultra impressive in the international rules - hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys like Thomas and Betts.

I'd trade Blease for almost any player on another AFL main list. Without top line fitness he very few make it and he has plenty of other gaps in his game. But Blease wont be traded if he has another season in 2014 like his 2013. He'll be delisted.

It would be good to find out if he has a fitness or injury issue that is holding him back. He had that op post season so might be under instructions. People are very quick to judge when few of us have any idea what is really going on with individual players injury management. I'm trying to be optimistic here. I would love to see him become a weapon rather than another bust.

In relation to Dom Tyson, he spoke to a mate of mine (I know that already makes the story dodgy) and indicated that he was still a little tentative about his leg but was hoping that he would make inroads as the season progressed.

blease can play, but imo his development has been 'hamstrung' as it were, by our past. the culture, losses, & coach rotations. & his family losses etc.

I wonder if Roos can get his mind turned around, or if he'd be better with a fresh start... a swap with another club, who could get bleasey turned around? A coach maybe like a Ross Lyon?

the big spaces of the Perth ground could help Blease as a dasher thru space. he wouldn't be the engine, but he could be damaging in those spaces for Lyon's reconstructed gamestyle.

they may have someone who would like to return East?

That is AWESOME! The reports on Toumpas are always that he is busting a nut, the kid hasn't been sound for over 2 years, it's going to get hard to downplay the hype soon.

Howe is a special player as well, If he can transform his game into the midfield, then he could push into the elite bracket. I just don't see many weaknesses in his game, he could be an elite midfielder, I have no doubt. Good to also see Dom Barry training well, he is by far and away my favorite player on our list, he glides over the surface and was ultra impressive in the international rules - hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys like Thomas and Betts.

Glad to see you're keeping a lid on it!