Training - Wednesday 11th December, 2013

Whispering_Jack

I don't think he was strong on that at all. He said they aren't expected to play in their first year, but if they are doing the right things and earn their place then they would be selected.

exactly this ^^^^

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't made it down to training yet but I watched parts of the Vic Metro game at Simonds Stadium from earlier in the year and both Christian Salem and Jay Kennedy-Harris were impressive in their own way. JKH in particular has terrific balance and poise and looks to me like one of our brightest prospects for many years. Forget his lack of height. He looks like a good one to me and some of these training reports seem to back that up.

Can't wait to see him in action in the NAB Cup.

I haven't made it down to training yet but I watched parts of the Vic Metro game at Simonds Stadium from earlier in the year and both Christian Salem and Jay Kennedy-Harris were impressive in their own way. JKH in particular has terrific balance and poise and looks to me like one of our brightest prospects for many years. Forget his lack of height. He looks like a good one to me and some of these training reports seem to back that up.

Can't wait to see him in action in the NAB Cup.

Yes but can he kick it out on the full like some of our other guns.

Yeah, looked to me like Toumpas had a fair bit of work done on his left shoulder and back, when he took his shirt off.

Paint you say? Looked a bit more intricate than that.

Was a bit surprised, because he just never seemed the type for tough stickers...

I liked Harmes. He took a few good strong grabs, has good size.

Quick too.

Not sure about his disposal. Sloppy handballs need to be eliminated.

Decision-making, awareness and reading situations is not quite there, not like it is with a smart kid like Salem or JKH.

Might take longer to figure it out, but should be a solid prospect.

Nicho might be poorly skilled and not the most natural footballer, but he does work hard, and was leading the first couple of 300m runs by 10m+ to McDonald then Bail.

Watts' skills were sublime in the weather.

He looked very very good.

I actually saw something from him today I've never seen before - he actually gritted his teeth and really pushed to change direction quickly or burst off at times, and him being out of breath afterwards due to the effort. Not just his usual laconic performances, although there were plenty of those.

It was pleasing to see.

And Frawley looked dominant whenever he touched it.

His kicks today were really pinpoint too. At least the ones I saw.

Showed some nimble footwork to dodge some defenders lunging to make tackles, and then finished with a decent fend off and pinpoint delivery. Looked a million bucks... but it is preseason.

I find it amusing that everyone says how well Nicholson & Bail run. They have really poor foot skills, but they are fast. I'd rather a slow footballer who can kick. If they don't improve their skillset they are both gone at the end of the yr along with Brynes. Pedo the yr after.

I find it amusing that everyone says how well Nicholson & Bail run. They have really poor foot skills, but they are fast. I'd rather a slow footballer who can kick. If they don't improve their skillset they are both gone at the end of the yr along with Brynes. Pedo the yr after.

Yep You have my vote.

Mach, how involved is Strauss in training at this point?

I saw a few reports last week stating how well he was kicking it, and was hoping that he would come on from there.

Did he train okay? Or just not getting involved enough?

During the time I was there he trained ok.

I was watching his kicking Arrow as this gets mentioned as one of the main reasons we recruited him.

I think he was called an elite kick.

I have never seen him as an elite kick.

Today he was reliable, certainly way better than a number of his team mates.

However IMO no elite kicking today.

He is IMO at best an average AFL player who will struggle to make the 22 most weeks.

Edited by old dee

Arrived a bit after 10.00, some good signs from the new recruits,

• Salem- good skills, well balanced,
  • JKH is the real deal- plenty of pace, 2nd efforts, skills, X factor,
  • Hunt- speed and more speed, plenty of upside(easy to see why he was a smoky late draft choice)
  • Harmes- well balanced, good skills,
  • King- moved well, good mark, weight room, protein shakes beckoning
  • Georgiou- football brain, awkward kicking style but it ends up in the right place
  • Jetta- not new- but worked hard, good to see him get back and support Westrupp( physically struggling) at the finish of the timed runs

Overall the most pleasing things to see were; a coach who was out in the middle and coaching, an upbeat feel about the session.

Bring on 2014

At a bar less than two weeks ago one of his teammates stated "Toumpas plays like a girl". Perhaps he's trying to shed this image.

Right, well that's an intelligent appraisal of his playing style from said player...

He won't be the toughest, but I don't think he's that bad.

Mach, how involved is Strauss in training at this point?

I saw a few reports last week stating how well he was kicking it, and was hoping that he would come on from there.

Did he train okay? Or just not getting involved enough?

Strauss looked to be fully involved today at training.

Took part in all drills I saw.

Except in 1 drill where the object was to move the ball from the wing and kick to a leading forward, he and bail were strangely the leading forwards. Only for 5-10 mins though.

Looked involved, kicked well, found a bit of it without standing out much.

On par with someone like Garland today.

Not disappointing by any means, but didn't really stand out.

Machsy how did Vince Train? we all know he has elite ball use but in terms of pushing himself and intensity?

And surely is now time too start inserting some angry pills into big Pencil, the guy is seriously huuuge!

Yes but can he kick it out on the full like some of our other guns.

Nobody's perfect and JKH is no exception but I suspect that he will have a high efficiency rate when he gets established as an AFL footballer and I think that will be sooner rather than later. He has a bit of class about him.

Machsy how did Vince Train? we all know he has elite ball use but in terms of pushing himself and intensity?

And surely is now time too start inserting some angry pills into big Pencil, the guy is seriously huuuge!

Vincent kicked well, but didn't stand out a lot today to me.

I did see him lose Salem in a competitive drill with lots of numbers through a bit of foxing.

I think the wind today made it hard to judge too much.

Didn't stand out for intensity to me, or appear to be obviously pushing himself really hard, but I didn't really pay close attention to him in particular.

I always thought Spencer looked like he had a bit of agro anyway.

I think his career trajectory will be similar to that of Jamar.

Vincent kicked well, but didn't stand out a lot today to me.

I did see him lose Salem in a competitive drill with lots of numbers through a bit of foxing.

I think the wind today made it hard to judge too much.

Didn't stand out for intensity to me, or appear to be obviously pushing himself really hard, but I didn't really pay close attention to him in particular.

I always thought Spencer looked like he had a bit of agro anyway.

I think his career trajectory will be similar to that of Jamar.

You mean one fantastic season then eternal injuries/poor form?

Speaking of which, how's Jamar going? Haven't heard much about him all pre-season. Same for Kent/McKenzie?

Thanks to everyone for the training reports, they're much appreciated.

My Nephew is a mad Dees supporter. Really passionate. He's great mates with Hannebery and met Trengove and a number of players recently. They know he's mates with Dan and were quite forthcoming. This was a comment by one player.

A dumb comment IMO, unless he was clearly saying it in jest. Would have thought the club tells the players to temper what they say to supporters. Ok for him to say that to the player in a Leading Teams environment, but at a bar in front of supporters it's dumb. No biggie, just not smart.

My Nephew is a mad Dees supporter. Really passionate. He's great mates with Hannebery and met Trengove and a number of players recently. They know he's mates with Dan and were quite forthcoming. This was a comment by one player.

We didn't have too many non girl-like players last year (or the year before that, or the year before that, or the...), so the one that said it needs to be in a select group to get away with it.

Not sure how you thnk sowing these seeds helps the club though,

Don't care what player it was that's pretty disgraceful to be saying that out in the public.

Let's see how he goes under Roos. He does seem to lack the mongrel we desire but others in the team don't.

However he's there to provide polish and as long as he goes when it's his turn he'll be fine.

Who said it would ?

I'm sure the wider Demonland community can handle such a momentous revelation.

So who was the player that said it? If it's ok to add grist to the mill of those who all ready slag off Toumpas as being soft on here, then surely the player that said this doesn't need to be protected from a wider Demonland community that could equally well handle such a momentous disclosure.