Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRISTIAN SALEM

Freddy Fuschia

Another write up from Footy Tragic for those that are interested.

CHRISTIAN SALEM

Height: 185cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 15/7/1995

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Im still a bit unsure on Salem because hes put two very good seasons of TAC Cup footy together but at the same time hes struggled at the National Championships in consecutive seasons.

Im unable to get a read on what his true form is and what position hell play in the AFL. At the same time hes really done nothing wrong and he has the skill-set and versatility to become a pretty good player.

Salem can play a variety of positions from both flanks, to the midfield and really can play inside and out. He has never been a massive ball-winner, but he has been consistent in the TAC Cup. Over the last two seasons hes played 15 games for the Dragons, and has only gone under 20 disposals three times. Hes also never gone over 26 disposals. A fair portion of his disposals are contested and he does operate at a decent efficiency rate at 67%.

Hes struggled more in the Champs in terms of getting the ball. He did a decent run-with role on James Aish against South Australia, but it wasnt really a hard tag. He averaged 15 disposals and a goal a game at 71% efficiency at the Champs.

Salem is a very high character guy and most reports about his attitude are glowing. He comes from a Lebanese background and he seems like a really grounded kid, albeit a bit quiet.

I think Salem will be a midfielder in the AFL that can go forward and is good for a goal a game. His inside work is really good and he does have a pretty strong body that can make an impact in there. I think hes been pigeon-holed a little bit as just a flanker and outside midfielder but I disagree with that. A large portion of his disposals are contested and he averages five tackles a game in the TAC Cup.

His defensive work does stand out compared to other prospects in this draft and hes always looking to put pressure on and make an impact when he doesnt have the footy. Hes one of few young players that are always trying to lay a shepherd or do something to help out his teammates.

On the outside he does have the weapon of speed and a very good left foot. His kicking action is very smooth but I still feel like he can over and under kick them. I think he just needs to weight his kicking sometimes a little better to players on the lead.

Around goals hes very classy and tends to make the most of any chance he gets whether it is on the run or from a set shot.Salem gets a big mark up because of his versatility. He reads the play quite well and can float back into defence and take intercept marks. His ability one on one is also very good, and he very rarely loses a contest. This includes marking situations; he is quite good at judging the drop of the ball and he can take contested marks in a one-on-one situation. His contested marking ability is very impressive for his size.

Athletically Salem put the critics to bed with his endurance testing. It had been suggested that he didnt have the tank to play full-time in the midfield but he ran a 14.5 beep, finished in the top 25% in repeat sprints and finished in the top 23% in the 3km time-trial. He also confirmed his speed by running a 2.98 in the 20 metre sprint.

Salems been a mark of consistency, but he hasnt really blown anyone away at the same time. I do believe he has the tools to become a player in the David Zaharakis mould. The struggle to step up at the Champs worries me a little bit, but his TAC form dispels most concerns. Hes a pretty safe pick to make it regardless, its just a matter of how good he can become.

One thing that baffles me is wherever you read Salem's bio, his height reads differently. Is it that hard to measure someone's height? Surely the players' measurements were taken at the draft combine which is what should be feeding the Journo's that are writing this up. I noticed The Age and The Hun both differed when it came to Salem's height... Not surprising. Ahh the little things.

As for Salem himself. Very excited to see this guy play and I'm confident we've made another fantastic decision that will pay big dividends in a few years.

Tyson and Salem for pick 2

Hogan and Barry for Tom Scully

Do not underestimate these two strokes of luck/genius.

Long way to go but I see a spark.

FFS Clint Argentinian wine is overated - since we have to suffer your [censored] at least get [censored] on good aussie stuff

Correct BBO! Had to open aqnother 2 bottles of the good Vic stuff to wash it down! Thankyou to the irioy on here that suggested it!

When Salems name was read out i was so upset, but i have calmed down now, and after watching his highlight reel i think he will go good for us (alot like Yze) but still would have rathered Freeman any day of the week.

Me 2! His skills though are way better than Freeman but I just don't know if he gets enough of the pill?

So glad we are drafting guys who are elite kicks

Salem, Toumpas and Watts delivering the ball inside 50 to Hogan, Clark and Howe is pretty damn enticing....

Sounds exciting, yes! Can't wait for R1 20141

Correct BBO! Had to open aqnother 2 bottles of the good Vic stuff to wash it down! Thankyou to the irioy on here that suggested it!

Me 2! His skills though are way better than Freeman but I just don't know if he gets enough of the pill?

Sounds exciting, yes! Can't wait for R1 20141

G and I've hardly had a drink tonight (but I'm working on it!)! That should have been thanks to the id-iot!

Paige's thought on our draft...

Pick 9: CHRISTIAN SALEM (Sandringham Dragons) 183cm, 81kg

There are some elite ball users in this draft, but Salem can class himself a cut above most, so damaging is his ball use. Salem is the quickest kick in this years draft pool, and to describe the way he moves the ball, its like he releases a sling-shot when he fires off a kick that he puts a ridiculous amount of speed on, which often confuses, and catches out defenders. Along with his damaging disposal, is his ability to hold his feet, rarely fumble or turn the ball over and always offers exceptional disposal under pressure. A supremely gifted athlete, Salem is a brilliant runner and when he takes off down a wing with the ball in hand, it is poetry in motion he is a ripper!

Pick 40: JAY KENNEDY-HARRIS (Oakleigh Chargers) 173cm, 68kg

The best, and most polished small forward of this years draft crop, Jay Kennedy-Harris is going to enjoy feeding off the crumbs on Melbournes big units, but he's much more than an opportunist small forward. The Oakleigh Chargers Co-Captain finds, and wins his own ball, and has shown he's more than capable of playing through the midfield where his tackling pressure and line-breaking run splits teams open. Kennedy-Harris has some serious hurt factor, and has a penetrating kick for a little guy. The big wrap on him, is his defensive pressure as a forward and was ranked number one at Oakleigh for pressure acts throughout the TAC Cup season.

Pick 57: JAYDEN HUNT (Brighton Grammar)

Plucked from obscurity in the AGS system, Hunt is described as a development project player who has played a lot of football with the likes of Christian Salem and Josh Kelly at Brighton Grammar. Hunt is a brilliant and polished kick on both sides of his body, however missed selection for the initial Sandringham Dragons side which was already choc-full of elite midfielders (including Essendon's Zach Merrett and Collingwoods Nathan Freeman). Nonetheless, Hunt is a wiry midfielder who'll spend a good season in the gym building on his light frame. Hes quite quick, has explosive pace and knows how to finish on goal.

Verdict: 8/10

Christian Salem will go on to be a star, thats just about a sure thing but plucking Jay Kennedy-Harris so late was an absolute steal for the Dees who address their need for a gun small forward, to crumb at the feet of their big boys Jesse Hogan, Chris Dawes, Jeremy Howe and Mitch Clark in what is shaping as a multi-dimensional and imposing forward line. Im a big fan of what the Dees are done, both at the draft table and during the trade period which has really put the Dees in a much stronger position on field.

One thing that baffles me is wherever you read Salem's bio, his height reads differently. Is it that hard to measure someone's height? Surely the players' measurements were taken at the draft combine which is what should be feeding the Journo's that are writing this up. I noticed The Age and The Hun both differed when it came to Salem's height... Not surprising. Ahh the little things.

As for Salem himself. Very excited to see this guy play and I'm confident we've made another fantastic decision that will pay big dividends in a few years.

I agree with the height thing, surprising to see him listed as high as 185 when Paul Roos looks a fair deal taller next to him as do the other top 10 draftees. Looks more like 180. Still, he is good overhead and can kick goals apparently, so that's what matters

From Russell Jackson from the Guardian:

"I am going to go hard and go early on this; I can’t understand how Salem went as late as nine. He kicks it better than half of the senior players on any given AFL side."

I just watched the Salem video and he seems like a quality kid.

Seems like a very good choice.

Time will tell but I have a lot more confidence in the recruiting guys this yr than any other.

Have a great career Salem

Time will tell but I have a lot more confidence in the recruiting guys this yr than any other.

Agree.

Watching him speak he seems like a nice kid.

All the best Salem. Here's hoping you have a long and brilliant career with the Dees.

I picked it as i saw him as the more skillful between he and freeman.

Very clever, and will develop onto a luke Hodge type only quicker.

His dad owns a few restaurants around melbourne, does anyone know where they are?

They own Rock Salt in Bay street Brighton.

Agree.

Watching him speak he seems like a nice kid.

All the best Salem. Here's hoping you have a long and brilliant career with the Dees.

Er, Chris?

Don't forget Dawes in that deal.

Picking that overhyped and loose with the truth, small mid and then having GWS salivate for him and throw the world at him was one of the luckiest days in our recent history.

I was initially keen for Freeman but reading about Salem I'm glad to see we've picked up someone that knows who to use the ball. There are some good wraps on him (as there always are on top 10 players), but what I reckon will be different for Salem (and the other draftees) is that they will really make him earn his spot with the players we've picked up in the trade period. Hopefully this will allow him to develop with less pressure.

Welcome to the Dees, Salem!

Paige's thought on our draft...

Pick 9: CHRISTIAN SALEM (Sandringham Dragons) 183cm, 81kg

There are some elite ball users in this draft, but Salem can class himself a cut above most, so damaging is his ball use. Salem is the quickest kick in this years draft pool, and to describe the way he moves the ball, its like he releases a sling-shot when he fires off a kick that he puts a ridiculous amount of speed on, which often confuses, and catches out defenders. Along with his damaging disposal, is his ability to hold his feet, rarely fumble or turn the ball over and always offers exceptional disposal under pressure. A supremely gifted athlete, Salem is a brilliant runner and when he takes off down a wing with the ball in hand, it is poetry in motion he is a ripper!

Pick 40: JAY KENNEDY-HARRIS (Oakleigh Chargers) 173cm, 68kg

The best, and most polished small forward of this years draft crop, Jay Kennedy-Harris is going to enjoy feeding off the crumbs on Melbournes big units, but he's much more than an opportunist small forward. The Oakleigh Chargers Co-Captain finds, and wins his own ball, and has shown he's more than capable of playing through the midfield where his tackling pressure and line-breaking run splits teams open. Kennedy-Harris has some serious hurt factor, and has a penetrating kick for a little guy. The big wrap on him, is his defensive pressure as a forward and was ranked number one at Oakleigh for pressure acts throughout the TAC Cup season.

Pick 57: JAYDEN HUNT (Brighton Grammar)

Plucked from obscurity in the AGS system, Hunt is described as a development project player who has played a lot of football with the likes of Christian Salem and Josh Kelly at Brighton Grammar. Hunt is a brilliant and polished kick on both sides of his body, however missed selection for the initial Sandringham Dragons side which was already choc-full of elite midfielders (including Essendon's Zach Merrett and Collingwoods Nathan Freeman). Nonetheless, Hunt is a wiry midfielder who'll spend a good season in the gym building on his light frame. Hes quite quick, has explosive pace and knows how to finish on goal.

Verdict: 8/10

Christian Salem will go on to be a star, thats just about a sure thing but plucking Jay Kennedy-Harris so late was an absolute steal for the Dees who address their need for a gun small forward, to crumb at the feet of their big boys Jesse Hogan, Chris Dawes, Jeremy Howe and Mitch Clark in what is shaping as a multi-dimensional and imposing forward line. Im a big fan of what the Dees are done, both at the draft table and during the trade period which has really put the Dees in a much stronger position on field.

Can't wipe the smile off my face. Since Roos and PJ everything just seems so positive.

Played with Salem since u12s.

Beat him in League B&F by a couple votes in u13 - i guess that ll be my claim to fame.

Any questions about the kid, just ask and ill answer.

Trained with him 2-3 times a week for the past 4 years. Ripper bloke, loves fifa

The only knock on him is that he doesn't rack up huge possies in that TAC Cup. Did he manage bigger numbers in previous years? Where do you see him playing most of his footy..mid/HB?

Played with Salem since u12s.

Beat him in League B&F by a couple votes in u13 - i guess that ll be my claim to fame.

Any questions about the kid, just ask and ill answer.

Trained with him 2-3 times a week for the past 4 years. Ripper bloke, loves fifa

I beat Luke McDonald, Jack Billings and Ben Lennon in the u12's league B&F ---my claim to fame :)

Dan Hannebery didn't rack up huge amounts of possessions and in his draft year had a very ordinary championship for Vic Metro.

I see no reason Salem can't at least be the equal of Hannebery. He has him covered skill wise and Hannabery wasn't any more "inside" as a junior.

Really? My work colleagues and I drop in there regularly for a delicious Parma!!

I'll have to say a big hi and welcome to the MFC family to Ma and Pa Salem.

I used to go there a bit when it was Italy on Bay but don't get there much now.

It's always busy, especially in the street seating.

Didn't we end up getting Dawes for Scully also?