Michael Newton

Courtney_Fish

And close to "BOG" in boggy conditions playing CHF in a Norwood side that was pretty good last night!, Cmon dazzle davey36 you know you wanna jump onboard!

check out the action photo as attached.

post-1860-0-80089800-1403914063_thumb.jp

Edited by picket fence

And close to "BOG" in boggy conditions playing CHF in a Norwood side that was pretty good last night!, Cmon dazzle davey36 you know you wanna jump onboard!

check out the action photo as attached.

Toumpas was BOG a few times as a 16 yo in the SANFL, don't you love him 'picket'?

• Like 2

Pretty sure every time Vickery gets dropped to the seconds he has a day out as well. The jump from VFL to AFL for talls especially is huge. I'll be very surprised if Juice gets another go, but glad he's playing well and if he does get a second chance, good luck to him,

• Like 1

Ah, can I take a rain check on that??

No you can't have it both ways. You back Newton because of SANFL form yet can Toumpas who also had good SANFL form.

According to your logic on Toumpas SANFL form is no indicator of a players ability and really it's even less so on Newton who's exposed AFL form was nowhere near good enough. He was always a good VFL player but never up to scratch as an AFL player.

I'm disappointed with Toumpas' output to date and expected more on the back of his SANFL performances. What it shows me is that there is a big step up from SA footy to the AFL. Toumpas has time on his side to make the grade, Newton has had his time..let him be a big fish in a small pond.

No you can't have it both ways. You back Newton because of SANFL form yet can Toumpas who also had good SANFL form.

According to your logic on Toumpas SANFL form is no indicator of a players ability and really it's even less so on Newton who's exposed AFL form was nowhere near good enough. He was always a good VFL player but never up to scratch as an AFL player.

I'm disappointed with Toumpas' output to date and expected more on the back of his SANFL performances. What it shows me is that there is a big step up from SA footy to the AFL. Toumpas has time on his side to make the grade, Newton has had his time..let him be a big fish in a small pond.

Fair enough points rjay!

FWIW Toumpas is an outside receiver who enjoyed a very good season in the SANFL.

Arguably it is much easier to get a kick in any grade of footy as an outside mid especially if supply is good.

Toumpas apparently used to have pace and I spose used it appropriately when needed.

He has stepped up into AFL and is struggling! In fact he is struggling at Casey as well which must be a huge worry.

I take your point that the SANFL is astep down from AFL. I do believe however that it is akin to the VFL.

So we have Jimmy Toumpas who is struggling in the VFL.. Something Juice Newton always did well was dominate the VFL.

also Arguably it is harder to get a kick in the key forward roles F.F and CHF!

From what I have seen and heard ( I have a mate who follows Norwood religiously, Juice Newton has put on size and is a commanding presence at CHF. Last week for example he took 11 contested marks. 11 contested marks in any footy is good. He also kicked 4 telling goals Friday night.

So we have a dominant player at 27 who is playing very good footy in a key contested role and a Jimmy Toumpas an outside mid struggling for pace and also struggling to get going in the VFL.

I hope both players continue on their respective journeys and play great football for Melbourne and Norwood respectively.

Would anyone begrudge Juice another shot at it?

Played 25 games......Kicked 30 goals 26 behinds.....Was delisted and re rookied and then has an injured foot which cost him the rest of his last year

He seemed to me that he never had the confidence in himself to make it as an AFL player

Hope he does really well at Norwood.

Good to see our discarded players making something of themselves. He may be handy as a second hand spare parts player for a club in the premiership window just like Geelong did with Podsiadly. Big units that can score big bags are highly sought after. Obviously a late maturer. Lyndon Dunn took 7 years to play up to his potential. In the old days his career would have been finished but these days there is a market for mature older players who have a weapon. Perhaps not for us but would not be surprised if sides like Hawthorn, Geelong or Fremantle rookie Newton. Despite what some think here the SANFL is a strong second tier competition.

Edited by america de cali

From what I have seen and heard ( I have a mate who follows Norwood religiously, Juice Newton has put on size and is a commanding presence at CHF. Last week for example he took 11 contested marks. 11 contested marks in any footy is good. He also kicked 4 telling goals Friday night.

So we have a dominant player at 27 who is playing very good footy in a key contested role and a Jimmy Toumpas an outside mid struggling for pace and also struggling to get going in the VFL.

I hope both players continue on their respective journeys and play great football for Melbourne and Norwood respectively.

Would anyone begrudge Juice another shot at it?

I wouldn't 'pickett', if he gets another shot he's worked hard to deserve it. Good luck to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Another "Stellar" performance in a losing Norwood team 14 disposals at CHF including 10 marks.(8 contested)

A mate of mine who follows Norwood has said that he is playing very good footy at the moment!

I would not be surprised if there is interest from several AFL clubs!

Would be a good football story and comeback from a much maligned ( on this forum) player!

Another "Stellar" performance in a losing Norwood team 14 disposals at CHF including 10 marks.(8 contested)

A mate of mine who follows Norwood has said that he is playing very good footy at the moment!

I would not be surprised if there is interest from several AFL clubs!

Would be a good football story and comeback from a much maligned ( on this forum) player!

Don't kid yourself.

• Like 2

He had IIRC 7 (seven) years on our AFL list and never showed any of the hardness, application or endeavour required to be a successful AFL player, and especially not as a KPP forward.

I would be very surprised if anyone will be seriously interested.

I can kind of understand why they held on to him for so long. He had every physical attribute he needed to be a great player. It was only in the intangibles that he failed. You can see why they would have kept him around in the hope that things would click for him and he'd figure out how to put it all together.

Is regularly dropping "sitters' in marking attempts an "intangible" ?
  • Like 1

Juice is right up there in my fave demonland subjects.

Please keep the dream alive.

• Like 1