Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dawes to miss start of Pre Season.

dazzledavey36

It's October.

Roosy on OTC last year said that all the fitness work is done pre Christmas and if a player missed that training they never recovered the fitness base for the year.

He came in with that knee problem he got before last year's finals and clearly was hampered by it ever since. Hopefully this is the same problem and they will fix it this time. One injury often leads to others, so lets hope that's the case here and fixing the knee will stop other injuries. Better to get it all fixed than keep having ongoing injury issues, even if it means a lack of a fitness base. He will probably stay home deep in the forward line next year with Hogan doing more of the running up field as he did at Casey this year. So won't be as critical as it would even have been this year. Certainly not as critical as a midfielder or other runner.

Edited by It's Time

One injury often leads to others, so lets hope that's the case here and fixing the knee will stop other injuries.

Exactly this. I imagine most of us here have been active at some time and cop a little niggle somewhere, adjust our action/style/positioning to minimise the pain and end up hurting something else.

I think this was the case with Christopher last year but also I recall reading somewhere that he twice tried to come back early as he was feeling awful on the sidelines watching all the time. Don't think this would have helped.

If Clark is back, young Hoges and Fitzy around then at least they can all take there time getting right lowering the risk of re-injury

• Like 1

Barely got on the park in his first two seasons st Collingwood. And spent the last one there with injuries. Only played two years without missing a number of games.

lies

played 61 games in 10/11/12

and how much footy are you supposed to play in your first two years anyway, was he even injured or just developing in the twos?

show some respect to your fellow posters and do your homework

Im gonna cop it for this but next year Dawes needs to seriously show why we paid overs for him. If Fitzy keeps improving the way he is then i can see him going straight past Dawes. To be honest i never rated him at Collingwood and was a bit disapointed we picked him up but i give every new player a chance when they pull on the jumper and his leadership was valuable for our group, and a bloke that demanded respect which i liked.

But Dawes has been carrying injuries for the last 2-4 years and i fear he will just continue to break down and never make the contribution that we (and he) would like. This is now's Fitzy time to really stamp himself in the forward line and prove he is just as good as a player as Dawes. His leadership is very valuable to our young group but its now time to get on the park and showing a bit. I see Dawes as as player that will be squeezed out of our best 22 in two years time.

• Like 2

DD36 I dont think thats being to outlandish. Hopefully they are just niggles and sorted. If not a serial 'injured' does little for us, good bloke or not.

He'll have a limited preseason but he does train well. Its frustrating when we have talent and they cant take the track. he should have 5-6 good years ahead.. im hoping

Its not just Dawes. For almost as long as I can remember we have always had maby good players constantly out with injuries.

Do we do proper medicals? It does my head in. Clark Dawes Grimes Evans Taggart Trengove Jamar Ect

Obviously it is a big impact if players cannot get on the park and it is useless to constantly draft or trade for players who spend more time in the stands then playing.

Surely medicals could see the difference between a N Jones, Tmac or Watts who are rarely injured then a Dawes or Evans.

Its not just Dawes. For almost as long as I can remember we have always had maby good players constantly out with injuries.

Do we do proper medicals? It does my head in. Clark Dawes Grimes Evans Taggart Trengove Jamar Ect

Obviously it is a big impact if players cannot get on the park and it is useless to constantly draft or trade for players who spend more time in the stands then playing.

Surely medicals could see the difference between a N Jones, Tmac or Watts who are rarely injured then a Dawes or Evans.

There is obviously an element of luck, but I agree that Clark and Dawes were injury prone prior to being traded to Melbourne. We knew the risks and to this point, both players have been a fail. Unfortunately, we ‘re not in a powerful position at the drafting table and options are limited.

Even at the draft we seem to always pick up injury prone kids. Strauss, Tapscott, Evans, Grimes, Garland, Blease, Taggart all missed alot of their first 2 years to injury.

Players like Jones Frawley Tmac Kent Howe havnt.

Look at the contrast in quality of players between those two groups. Dees need to do better medicals as players cannot develop when injured and end up being spuds while the non injury prone ones make the mark.

Roosy on OTC last year said that all the fitness work is done pre Christmas and if a player missed that training they never recovered the fitness base for the year.

This doesn't make sense. Surely starting after Christmas delays his season. if he started in May for instance he would get a full pre-season in.

Even at the draft we seem to always pick up injury prone kids. Strauss, Tapscott, Evans, Grimes, Garland, Blease, Taggart all missed alot of their first 2 years to injury.

Harsh there on a couple.

Tapscott who hurt his hip on a spinkler head originally after being drafted, Blease who broke his leg at school.... after being drafted and Strauss who broke his leg in a collision.

Garland has gotten over his original problems and has played over 80 games in the last 4 years.

Grimes has had concussion from collisions and a shoulder problem for a dodgey tackle this year.

Lots of kids come into the system and struggle early, as its a large difference to training and playing with 18 year olds to training and playing against men.

Maybe we should advise they drink more milk for there bones

Look at the contrast in quality of players between those two groups. Dees need to do better medicals as players cannot develop when injured and end up being spuds while the non injury prone ones make the mark.

Yeah we should be more like Freo with Viv Michie, Jayden Pitt and Morabito. Or Essendon with Gumbleton. Or Geelong with Vardy and Menzel. Or Sydney with Garry Rohan. Should I go on?

Or just avoid guys who have had injuries in their junior careers like Joel Selwood and Jack Darling.

AFL footy is a tough game. You can't reliably tell which bodies are going to stand up to it when looking at 18 year old kids. Remember most of these guys when drafted have to add about 10kg of muscle at least. Even some of the heavier ones have to strip fat, add muscle and triple their endurance.

Garland, Grimes and Evans have all played good footy surrounding injuries. And Garland this year showed what he could do when not injured.

• Like 2

Harsh there on a couple.

Tapscott who hurt his hip on a spinkler head originally after being drafted, Blease who broke his leg at school.... after being drafted and Strauss who broke his leg in a collision.

Garland has gotten over his original problems and has played over 80 games in the last 4 years.

Grimes has had concussion from collisions and a shoulder problem for a dodgey tackle this year.

Lots of kids come into the system and struggle early, as its a large difference to training and playing with 18 year olds to training and playing against men.

Maybe we should advise they drink more milk for there bones

deeko - well put.

And don't forget Molan who was silly enough to break his leg, twice, then dislocate his shoulder in (I think) his comeback game at Sandringham. Shocking to draft guys who break legs. Or Schwartz who, on the brink of absolute superstardom, did an ACL preseason and again at comeback, and again at comeback. Tingay slipped through a plate glass window and did serious thigh damage from which he never fully recovered - poor pick there! Paul Prympke, destined to be one of the best CHBs of his era injured his back, silly bugger. One could go on and on and on. Morton on the other hand must have been a really great pick because he avoided collisions and injuries.

Yeah we should be more like Freo with Viv Michie, Jayden Pitt and Morabito. Or Essendon with Gumbleton. Or Geelong with Vardy and Menzel. Or Sydney with Garry Rohan. Should I go on?

Or just avoid guys who have had injuries in their junior careers like Joel Selwood and Jack Darling.

AFL footy is a tough game. You can't reliably tell which bodies are going to stand up to it when looking at 18 year old kids. Remember most of these guys when drafted have to add about 10kg of muscle at least. Even some of the heavier ones have to strip fat, add muscle and triple their endurance.

Garland, Grimes and Evans have all played good footy surrounding injuries. And Garland this year showed what he could do when not injured.

Yep - footy when played hard causes injuries.

Edited by monoccular

Morton on the other hand must have been a really great pick because he avoided collisions and injuries.

Put Morton in the same basket as the rest - did his shoulder (or hand?) when he fell while climbing over the back fence because he'd forgotten his keys. Knowing that would happen, we should never have drafted him.

Put Morton in the same basket as the rest - did his shoulder (or hand?) when he fell while climbing over the back fence because he'd forgotten his keys. Knowing that would happen, we should never have drafted him.

and Morton never regained his pre injury confidence.

Hard to crystal ball this on draft day. Ditto Blease.

No Excuses Moon

We expect results not excuses

If they did not know they should have known

Its a harder tougher era at the MFC now

So to all recruiters, shape up or go away

I'll take that to be sarcasm Toady. If not, you seriously have NFI.

LOL Moon you know me too well!

No Excuses Moon

We expect results not excuses

If they did not know they should have known

Its a harder tougher era at the MFC now

So to all recruiters, shape up or go away

James Strauss broke his leg in round 20 (August) 2011.

Sam Blease broke his leg at School in 2009.

Michael Barlow broke his leg in round 14 (June) 2010. He's back to his best and a staple of the Freo midfield averaging 26.5 disposals in 2013. Even in 2012 he averaged over 24 disposals and played every game.

But if there's one certainty it's that Melbourne supporters will continue to trot out excuse after excuse for the failings of ordinary footballers.

EDIT: I see you were joking, so disregard the above, as it will be lost on you too.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Andrew Strauss broke his leg in round 20 (August) 2011.

Michael Barlow broke his leg in round 14 (June) 2010. He's back to his best and a staple of the Freo midfield averaging 26.5 disposals in 2013. Even in 2012 he averaged over 24 disposals and played every game.

But if there's one certainty it's that Melbourne supporters will continue to trot out excuse after excuse for the failings of ordinary footballers.

EDIT: I see you were joking, so disregard the above, as it will be lost on you too.

Helps if you know the names of the players on our list Benny, might just give you a smidge of credibility.

The broken leg comment and youtube clip was in relation to another poster's comment that we draft injury prone players, such as JAMES Strauss or Blease. It does not surprise me that the line of conversation is lost on such a narrow mind as yours.

• Like 1

Andrew Strauss broke his leg in round 20 (August) 2011.

Chill Mate no need to try and insult other in your posts

ar119291695048637.jpg

• Like 1

Helps if you know the names of the players on our list Benny, might just give you a smidge of credibility.

The broken leg comment and youtube clip was in relation to another poster's comment that we draft injury prone players, such as JAMES Strauss or Blease. It does not surprise me that the line of conversation is lost on such a narrow mind as yours.

Andrew is more memorable.

I don't need clips explained. I have no interest in the history of posts/posters, or the tone of previous offerings, so you'll forgive me if I err occasionally.