Server Move and Server Errors & Fatal Errors

Nasher

All,

The site will go offline shortly ready for me to pack it up in to moving boxes and ship it from Japan back to sunny Melbourne. She'll be home in an hour or two.

Don't you wish you could pack up and move house that quickly?

This should solve the problem of the site failing to cope under any sort of load.

• Like 2

Nasher, seems ultra quick now which is brilliant. Only concern is there is no 'home' page.. Will this eventually change? I like where topics from both FAFFJH and the Melbourne section come up together..

Yes, this will fix once the demonland.com transfer takes place. Should only be a few hours.

If you're using the site2 address, remember to check back to normal demonland.com address every now and again.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that Nasher really is the backbone to this site. The work he does behind the scenes is invaluable not to mention that it takes him away from his family.

I want to put together some money to pass along to him so if you would like to contribute you can do so in two ways.

You can take out a Demonland subscription here: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/subscriptions/

Or if you already have a subscription you can donate here: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/donate/

• Like 4

Cheers for all the work you put in Nasher.

I had a bit of trouble trying to log in, took me multiple attempts to finally get on. Changing pages seems to log me out as well, not sure if anyone else is experiencing issues like this. I'm using site2 address at the moment because demonland.com is still down for me so perhaps that's the issue?

Cheers for all the work you put in Nasher.

I had a bit of trouble trying to log in, took me multiple attempts to finally get on. Changing pages seems to log me out as well, not sure if anyone else is experiencing issues like this. I'm using site2 address at the moment because demonland.com is still down for me so perhaps that's the issue?

That should resolve itself in the next few hours.

When you click on the Home button it is sending you to Demonland.com and because your ISP hasn't updated it's DNS records (read the article I linked above for a laymans explanation) it is still pointing to the site on the old server.

The site2.demonland.com/forums is forcing your ISP (Telstra, Optus etc) to take you to the new server.

When you click the Home button in the top left corner it is taking you to demonland.com and because your ISP hasn't updated yet it is taking you to the old server. This should update with 24 hours. You will know it has when you click the Home link and you see the DEMONLAND homepage or when you type in demonland.com and you see the standard homepage and not the site2 link.

Please don't bookmark or continue using the site2 link once the Home button takes you back to the standard Homepage.

When you click on the Home button it is sending you to Demonland.com and because your ISP hasn't updated it's DNS records (read the article I linked above for a laymans explanation) it is still pointing to the site on the old server.

The site2.demonland.com/forums is forcing your ISP (Telstra, Optus etc) to take you to the new server.

When you click the Home button in the top left corner it is taking you to demonland.com and because your ISP hasn't updated yet it is taking you to the old server. This should update with 24 hours. You will know it has when you click the Home link and you see the DEMONLAND homepage or when you type in demonland.com and you see the standard homepage and not the site2 link.

Please don't bookmark or continue using the site2 link once the Home button takes you back to the standard Homepage.

Thanks

The biggest culprit in slow DNS propagation is Telstra Bigpond.

i'm not sure that isps have any control over this demonland because its an automatic process

bigpond might seem to take longer because they are the biggest isp and therefore have the most dns servers to be updated

i'm not sure that isps have any control over this demonland because its an automatic process

bigpond might seem to take longer because they are the biggest isp and therefore have the most dns servers to be updated

They do have control over it, it's up to them how often they refresh and so on. My Telstra phone is taking ages to see the new site, but my iinet home account saw it an hour or so later.
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.