Greg Healy has stepped down...

hardtack

THE MELBOURNE Football Club wishes to advise that Greg Healy will be stepping down as a Director after two years of service on the Board.

Healy has been the Club’s Football Director since 2012 and oversaw significant change in the Football Department.

Healy cited the recent restructure of the Football Department and increased business commitments as the reasons for his decision to step down...

Now read on...

Thanks for the service Sugar.

Not sure how much of an influence he had on the football department but can't blame the bloke for giving it a crack.

• Like 1

Picked a good time to get out. But we do need at least 1 replacement on the board with football knowledge. Paul Hopgood? Anthony Ingerson? Back to Leoncelli? The big man David Neitz? Would like to see someone go for it.

Picked a good time to get out. But we do need at least 1 replacement on the board with football knowledge. Paul Hopgood? Anthony Ingerson? Back to Leoncelli? The big man David Neitz? Would like to see someone go for it.

What? Don't you think the Pres. knows anything about football

He's got a solid background but he's President. He has to be across all aspects. I presume a football subcommittee or football director is appropriate as well.

Can you blame me for wanting extra football knowledge on our board in light of recent times.

He from East Perth FC!

I hate that Club.

So I say No!

I think Russell Howcroft is the only one left and that is interesting considering what Baghdad Bob said what happened when he and PJ addressed the president's lunch before the GC game (I may have the game and the event wrong. Confirmation?)

He's got a solid background but he's President. He has to be across all aspects. I presume a football subcommittee or football director is appropriate as well.

Club statement says there will no longer be a "Football Director" position on the board.

Can you blame me for wanting extra football knowledge on our board in light of recent times.

Agreed. And I like the idea of a "Football Director". Dunstall appears to be very effective in the role at the dawks.

Not sure what other clubs have. Anybody?

I think Russell Howcroft is the only one left and that is interesting considering what Baghdad Bob said what happened when he and PJ addressed the president's lunch before the GC game (I may have the game and the event wrong. Confirmation?)

Peter Thurin also remains and I think he's been excellent in his role.

As for Sugar, it's interesting that he's escaped a lot of the flack gratuitously thrown at the others even though the football side of things has performed so poorly.

We do need a football director with plenty of both business acumen and experience in football at the coal face to give the football department the support it needs. I'm sure one will be appointed in the near future.

Peter Thurin also remains and I think he's been excellent in his role.

As for Sugar, it's interesting that he's escaped a lot of the flack gratuitously thrown at the others even though the football side of things has performed so poorly.

We do need a football director with plenty of both business acumen and experience in football at the coal face to give the football department the support it needs. I'm sure one will be appointed in the near future.

As I said earlier, "Club statement says there will no longer be a "Football Director" position on the board."

Whatever.

We still need people on the board with those qualities.

Perhaps it's not a bad idea to abolish the post given out results on the field in recent years.

That is interesting given what happened in 2010/11! A complete breakdown in communication lines between the player leadership group, the Board, the FD and the CEO. Absolute chaos. When Leoncelli moved on, Jimmy took on the Football Director and apologised for his failure to keep on top of things, given his dire health issues. As I see it this lapse allowed CS to fool the Board that all was well and the problems lay with some senior players. I think it is a crucial role. I hope the new regime has a suitable alternative so the Board can better understand what is happening at the coal face.

• Like 1

Feel this is a mistake not replacing football director position. Freo has Ben Allan in this role as well as former players Mann and O'Reilly on the Board. As good as Roos might be there should be informed football related challenge coming for the board for good governance and accounability.

Maybe because Greg Healy has only been the FD since 2012 according to the Club and therefore wasn't involved in a number of the terrible decisions from 2008 to 2011 that stained the Club throughout 2012 and 2013.
  • Like 1

Maybe because Greg Healy has only been the FD since 2012 according to the Club and therefore wasn't involved in a number of the terrible decisions from 2008 to 2011 that stained the Club throughout 2012 and 2013.

That's what I thought actually. Those were the Bailey years if I remember correctly and they set us up for the disasters that followed (actually why stop back at 2008 because there were some terrible decisions made in the last 3 or 4 years under Daniher as well?). Neeld was no great coach and his 1½ years were godawful but he was on a hiding to nothing after that disastrous period of inept coaching, poor recruiting and player development. Nobody expects Roos to repair things overnight and I often wonder how long it's going to take for us to get over the stigma of it all?

Given the Melbourne Football Club is in the business of footy this is a strange decision. Obviously the President has a footy background but I doubt he would have the time to add nominal football director duties to his Presidential duties.

It is the hardest spot on the Board to fill given ideally the person must have business and football experience.I can imagine Greg Healy had trouble combining demands of his job with the Football Director role.

Are there any other clubs who don't fill the Football Director role?

One assumes the restructure of the football department has eliminated the need for a board position entitled Football Director. Seems appropriate - otherwise Josh Mahoney and the Football Director might be at cross purposes and once again providing mixed signals to the team.

Having said that, I have no problem with people having AFL-playing experience being on the Board. But they would need to bring more than that single skill to the table.