Jack Watts signs new 3-year deal

Grapeviney

basketball ...non contact.......pretty funny... youve never played MENS basketball ??

I used to follow the Melbourne Tigers and took my kids most weeks so I've seen a bit of the game and anyone that thinks basketball is soft is a fool and has probably never been to a game.

• Like 1

I used to follow the Melbourne Tigers and took my kids most weeks so I've seen a bit of the game and anyone that thinks basketball is soft is a fool and has probably never been to a game.

Went a few times.

The excitement nearly killed me.

All that back and forth.

Like watching a bunch of old molls chase a tram .

• Like 1

I know, I know .

Sometimes they touch bums and

there has been some horrific fingernails broken.

Not to mention the hurt feelings from some of the names they call each other.

I played footy til i was 35...played Bball til i was 49.

In the leagues I graced neither were for the faint hearted and I can tell you fingernails were the least of your problems !!

the argy bargy of basketball makes many a footy game look a bit kindy. Anyone whos driven a key or tried to stop one knows you will get hurt. Wood is far less forgiving than turf.

Both are contact sports irregardless. The thing is its still about the thoughts between the ears, thats what drives you or inhibits.

You have to have a hunger for the contest , for the battle, for the hit. Its not the games your playing but how you play the game.

Jack has to learn to really take it on. To not just know how to ride the bumps but to impart them.

I was recently advised when trekking in the Himalayas to embrace the pain, to leverage it to use it . To not do so was to invite even more and failure.

Jack still has his mountain to climb. Hope he does.

if watts seriously has a motor to run in the mid field and match it with well who ever , i can only quote daryl kerrigan from the castle, tell him he is dreaming.

Jack your footy show appearance was a joke and i nearlycrashed my car listening on the way home with laughter hearing you quote your gps figures are up there with anyone at melbourne

hope you have a real hard pre season

I was invited to a Melbourne Tigers game about 15 years ago. One of the most boring nights of my life.

It's a toss up. Watching grass grow, paint dry, basketball, horse racing, or soccer.

Still undecided. Although actually being at the horse races at least has some advantages.

• Like 1

What exactly are you saying, you need to form an opinion on draft day and then just stick to it no matter what? What sort of imbecile thinks like that? It's something I've never understood about the average joe cretin demonland poster

Are you including yourself as a cretin?

Changing your opinion when the facts change is fine and righteous.

I am just not so certain the facts have changed direction that often...

I was invited to a Melbourne Tigers game about 15 years ago. One of the most boring nights of my life.

It's a toss up. Watching grass grow, paint dry, basketball, horse racing, or soccer.

Still undecided. Although actually being at the horse races at least has some advantages.

thankyou for your input BH...

We now know you dont like Basketball. That however has nothing to do with the game itself, just your likes.

Im sure they were appreciative of your attendance and even more your decision not to continue.

thankyou for your input BH...

We now know you dont like Basketball. That however has nothing to do with the game itself, just your likes.

Im sure they were appreciative of your attendance and even more your decision not to continue.

I love sport, so have an open mind. I love table tennis, tennis, golf and even lawn bowls looks a tiny bit interesting. But FFS basketball and soccer are the pits. Netball is a much better spectator sport.

Thanks for your interest.

I love sport, so have an open mind. I love table tennis, tennis, golf and even lawn bowls looks a tiny bit interesting. But FFS basketball and soccer are the pits. Netball is a much better spectator sport.

Actually it was about playing them, not watching. Well done to have participated in that, the observation.

The context was Jack, your's seems boredom. Happy Netballing

Since we're digressing, you find football/soccer boring, yet you find tennis or golf interesting spectator sports? Two of the worst around. I love playing both tennis and golf, but the latter may as well be watching grass grow. I've never really connected with basketball, despite being 6 foot 6. I find I lose interest after about ten minutes. However, I can cope with the occasional Australian olympic game.

Netball is a great game though. I coach it in junior APS and played mixed in Uni. I understand you probably have other motives for enjoying it as a spectator sport, but it's fast moving and highly skilled.

Meanwhile, I may as well ask DL a question that was proffered earlier, but left unanswered. Does anyone have any inside info on contract size in dollars for Jack's agreement? I'm intrigued. Would be surprised if it's under $400,000.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Since we're digressing, you find football/soccer boring, yet you find tennis or golf interesting spectator sports? Two of the worst around. I love playing both tennis and golf, but the latter may as well be watching grass grow. I've never really connected with basketball, despite being 6 foot 6. I find I lose interest after about ten minutes. However, I can cope with the occasional Australian olympic game.

Netball is a great game though. I coach it in junior APS and played mixed in Uni. I understand you probably have other motives for enjoying it as a spectator sport, but it's fast moving and highly skilled.

Meanwhile, I may as well ask DL a question that was proffered earlier, but left unanswered. Does anyone have any inside info on contract size in dollars for Jack's agreement? I'm intrigued. Would be surprised if it's under $400,000.

Taste in sport is like taste in music. I happen to love watching tennis but hate watching golf and basketball. I love playing tennis and basketball, but I've never had any interest in even trying golf.

• Like 1

Sports that are good to watch: Footy (the best), basketball (only the NBA), some soccer and meaningful cricket matches

Sports that are alright to watch: Tennis, NFL

Sports that are almost unwatchable: Netball, golf, baseball, rugby, motor racing (except attending the GP was quite amazing)

I've played basketball and it's certainly a tough game with hard hits, but to be honest the key difference is you guard space and wave your hands, waiting for opponents to make their move as opposed to attacking the man immediately without thinking. If that sort of mindset is in Watts' subconcious (and now I type this I can remember Watts doing this quite a lot, sounds familiar for a lot of our other players too) from his "basketball background" then that's a problem

Edited by Roos Aniher

if watts seriously has a motor to run in the mid field and match it with well who ever , i can only quote daryl kerrigan from the castle, tell him he is dreaming.

Jack your footy show appearance was a joke and i nearlycrashed my car listening on the way home with laughter hearing you quote your gps figures are up there with anyone at melbourne

hope you have a real hard pre season

Do you actually have any idea or are you just guessing. If he says his GPS numbers are up there with the best at MFC do you know they're not? You sound like someone who is trying to be funny but big noting at the same time. I'm glad you didn't crash the car because no doubt you could blame Jack for that too. Get a grip. You are not hilarious.

Ben - finds lawn bowls interesting; hates soccer.

Yep, story checks out.

Football, or soccer, is a brilliant game, but you have to be emersed in it to really appreciate it, I think. It isn't for the impatient sports fan, much like test cricket.

A good game of rugby is very watchable, but a crap one is arguably the worst spectacle of all the football codes.

Someone please tell me its a performance based contract!

Melbourne would never do that !

Players may not like it and OHHHHHHHHHHH boo Hoo might cry to their managers that its all unfair.But wait dont sign anything until you extract something from the club like OHHHH I want to play for the demons but only if i'm happy and on my terms

Jackie boy lost me completely during the year waiting to see who the coach was. Maybe he wouldnt enjoy a PBC but any way who cares

Jack hopefully becomes a consistent contributor who justifies his pay check every week

I do not believe we have a star who will ever take the game on and make a huge difference

You weird, Brother.

Golf is great to play and watch. Although getting up at 4am in the morning and getting your heart broken for 20 years was tough. Lucky I'm a Melbourne supporter.

Unless any of you guys have seen US college basketball live then you haven't seen basketball

NBA is a manufactured boring game but DIV 1 college is every bit as good to watch live as AFL

Also AFL has followed basketball in its development over the last 30 years. Zoning and lately the run and jump defence are basketball through and through

The screen was developed by the Doggies but was deemed too rough for AFL and therefore banned.

I wouldn't mind a fit Jason Gram or Scott Pendlebury playing for us of even that Big softy Roughead all Country Victorian basketballers.

Also your probably lucky that Eddie Mely (probably not the correct spelling) is not reading this The Dandenong Ruckman from the 60's played a high level of basketball as well

Check out Port Melbourne Dandenong games of the era the Port Ruckman Stretch Anninson again probably not the right spelling played quite a few games for Sth Melbourne and I don't think was known for his

softness and wearing a dress

I still follow the Tigers Robbie and I agree with you.

Great game just different to AFL.

Sports that are good to watch: Footy (the best), basketball (only the NBA), some soccer and meaningful cricket matches

Sports that are alright to watch: Tennis, NFL

Sports that are almost unwatchable: Netball, golf, baseball, rugby, motor racing (except attending the GP was quite amazing)

I've played basketball and it's certainly a tough game with hard hits, but to be honest the key difference is you guard space and wave your hands, waiting for opponents to make their move as opposed to attacking the man immediately without thinking. If that sort of mindset is in Watts' subconcious (and now I type this I can remember Watts doing this quite a lot, sounds familiar for a lot of our other players too) from his "basketball background" then that's a problem

Obviously you have never played basketball at a high level if you stood in a zone waving your hands.

Netball is just basketball with all the good bits removed