IMO best 22 for round 1 now the draft is done

B McDonald Frawley Terlich

HB Cross Garland Grimes

C Tyson Vince Watts

HF Trengove Dawes Hogan

F Howe Clark Blease

R Gawn Viney N Jones

I Fitzpatrick Toumpas/Salem Evans M Jones

Question marks over Evans and Blease but I recon Blease still has a huge up side in an attacking midfield role and Evans I recon did enough last year. I am still confused why we have not traded a big man, I think we have 1 too many on the list from Jamar, Gawn and Spencer especially given we have back ups in Fitzy, Clark and Dawes. I recon Gawn and Spencer both showed positive signs last year and while I respect and like Jamar his spread and defensive work is not up with the current game.

Remaining list

Dunn

Byrnes

McKenzie

Clisby

Kent

Strauss

Pedersen

Michie

Nicholson

Barry

Tapscott

Gawn

Spencer

Bail

Hunt

Kennedy-Harris

Having a look at our list these would be my teams and also the areas we still need to top up through Rookie draft

Clisby Frawley McDonald

Grimes Garland Dunn

Trengove Jones Vince

Watts Dawes Howe

Kent Hogan Clark

Jamar Viney Tyson

Cross Toumpas Michie M Jones

Strauss Pederson Nicholson

Hunt ****** Terlich

Blease Evans Salem

Tapscott Fitzpatrick Byrnes

K-Harris Gawn Barry

Spencer Bail McKenzie

Riley

We are 2 tall defenders short, and a Midfielder and I think a developing ruckman.

Our best 22 should be able to compete with most teams

Not Round 1 but here's what I think the team will be Round 23 2014.

FB: Clisby Frawley Salem

HBF: Strauss McDonald Garland

C: Watts Viney Vince

HFF: Toumpas Dawes Michie

FF: Hogan Clark Kennedy-Harris

R: Gawn Jones Tyson

IC: Cross Trengove Howe Sub: Evans

Well f*** me dead. That ain't a bad team.

Not Round 1 but here's what I think the team will be Round 23 2014.

FB: Clisby Frawley Salem

HBF: Strauss McDonald Garland

C: Watts Viney Vince

HFF: Toumpas Dawes Michie

FF: Hogan Clark Kennedy-Harris

R: Gawn Jones Tyson

IC: Cross Trengove Howe Sub: Evans

Well f*** me dead. That ain't a bad team.

I guess that depends how we go in Rd 23...

Updated from draft:

FB: Garland - Frawley - Dunn

HB: Terlich - McDonald - Grimes

C: Watts - N.Jones - Vince

HF: Howe - Dawes - Hogan

FF: Kent - Clark - Fitz

R: Jamar - Tyson - Cross

I: Trengove - Viney - Toumpas - Clisby

E: Michie - Spencer - Gawn

The defensive and stoppage nature of Roos' likely game plan will likely count against the new guys being able to step in straight away but Salem is a noted tackler and both he and JKH have speed and skill to play games on the outside.

It's definitely an extra layer of depth that is another positive.

Of course we all want to see them round but if not then at least early in the year it would be nice to see Salem and JKH as the sub. In particular Salem could play half back, wing or half forward if he's up to it so he could make a nice sub.

Don't know about Hunt as he's coming from a long way back but the other 2 should be ready for AFL level training to some degree and help the general skill and pressure level at training which is a positive.

Updated from draft:

You have updated from the draft yet included no draftees, any reason for update? Also cant imagined youd have 2 ruckmen as emergency

Updated from draft:

I reckon this is close to the mark.

And the exciting thing is the calibre of the almost 5 new players in for 2014 Vs 3013: Clark, Hogan, Tyson, Cross, Vince.

Plus ideally full season from Jamar and Dawes...

Not to mention one of the players not selected, developing quicker than expected, i.e. Gawn, Michie, Evans, M Jones, Salem, JKH, Dunn, Tapscott, etc...

Edited by PaulRB

Having a look at our list these would be my teams and also the areas we still need to top up through Rookie draft

Clisby Frawley McDonald

Grimes Garland Dunn

Trengove Jones Vince

Watts Dawes Howe

Kent Hogan Clark

Jamar Viney Tyson

Hunt ****** Terlich

Blease Evans Salem

K-Harris Gawn Barry

Spencer Bail McKenzie

Riley

We are 2 tall defenders short, and a Midfielder and I think a developing ruckman.

No Mitch Clark? That's an interesting call?

Clisby Frawley McDonald

Grimes Garland Dunn

Trengove Jones Vince

Watts Dawes Howe

Kent Hogan Clark

Jamar Viney Tyson

Hunt ****** Terlich

Blease Evans Salem

K-Harris Gawn Barry

Spencer Bail McKenzie

Riley

Like.

I have Terlich for Dunn and I'm nervous about Clark rucking R1 (altho I agree we need him to asap), but that's splitting hairs.

Agree it shows we're exposed for KPD - hopefully Rookie Draft can at least partially address this.

Given we have already picked up five experienced inside mids it would hard for Salem to walk straight into side and Roos used wasn't one to rush players in up in Sydney, so I doubt he'll be thinking Salem for quite a while.

However based on the clips we've all been watching, there's a touch of Adem Yze about him, which means his disposal skills could land him a game fairly early on in season and I actually see him as a half back or half forward in his infancy.

Can the guy who keeps putting our five big forwards in the one line up please get a grip on how the game is played these days and alter his line up accordingly or stop posting his rubbish.

Round 1

Cross

Vince

Tyson

Clark

Hogan

These 5 names will be in the round 1 team barring injury.

They should make a significant difference.

I think Salem has the game to put him in round 1 contention depending on his pre-season

Edited by jabberwocky

Round 1

Cross

Vince

Tyson

Clark

Hogan

These 5 names will be in the round 1 team barring injury.

They should make a significant difference.

Yep, that's virtually a quarter of your side.

Add Michie, who's very strongly built and hopefully significant improvement from Trengove, Viney, Toumpas, Watts and Kent and there could be quantum improvement.

The big key for me is Dom Tyson. He's coming into his third year, is big and talented and if he can stand up and play really strong inside footy the ripple affect will be huge.

Add Michie, who's very strongly built and hopefully significant improvement from Trengove, Viney, Toumpas, Watts and Kent and there could be quantum improvement.

The big key for me is Dom Tyson. He's coming into his third year, is big and talented and if he can stand up and play really strong inside footy the ripple affect will be huge.

Stop it BH. I agree entirely. I would also add that I wouldn't even consider playing Blease anywhere but at half forward of the forward pocket. If he is going to make it (and I have my doubts) then it needs to be within the goals.

Stop it BH. I agree entirely. I would also add that I wouldn't even consider playing Blease anywhere but at half forward of the forward pocket. If he is going to make it (and I have my doubts) then it needs to be within the goals.

some good coaching could make this bloke a good player running out of the backline

holding my breath ,but have trust in the new regime

Ripple effect*

some good coaching could make this bloke a good player running out of the backlineholding my breath ,but have trust in the new regime

Perhaps good coaching. Perhaps good kicking.

Blease is a conundrum. His standout attribute is obviously speed. However he's not damaging enough when it comes to using the footy.

It will be interesting to see what comes of him. All of his footy pre AFL has been played on the wing and he stood out clearly because of his pace. He's gotta find something more to bring to the table for us, as we know you can't rely solely on speed at the top level. We've seen glimpses. But he needs to find a gear or two in 2014.

If he can improve the following areas significantly, then we'll have a solid contributor.

Endurance

Defensive pressure

Kicking

Of course one could argue that our entire team could benefit from having these three areas improved, but I reckon Blease is pretty one dimensional at present and hasn't offered a whole lot more.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Just looked at our list on the MFC website

Was shocked to see there was hardly any real spuds on there and we look to actually have some depth now

Best shape we have been in for a long time

Yeah like two Mitch Clisbys, the more the better i guess

Perhaps good coaching. Perhaps good kicking.

Blease is a conundrum. His standout attribute is obviously speed. However he's not damaging enough when it comes to using the footy.

It will be interesting to see what comes of him. All of his footy pre AFL has been played on the wing and he stood out clearly because of his pace. He's gotta find something more to bring to the table for us, as we know you can't rely solely on speed at the top level. We've seen glimpses. But he needs to find a gear or two in 2014.

If he can improve the following areas significantly, then we'll have a solid contributor.

Endurance

Defensive pressure

Kicking

Of course one could argue that our entire team could benefit from having these three areas improved, but I reckon Blease is pretty one dimensional at present and hasn't offered a whole lot more.

Endurance must be the major underlying factor.

The two biggest things for me are he doesn't contribute defensively and he doesn't get the ball offensively. Improving endurance would theoretically allow him to do both.

His kicking and decision making annoy me but if he got the ball 20 times a game and laid some chase down tackles then he'd improve on the rest. Right now it seems every time he gets it he's so keen to do so much that he runs in to trouble. He needs to play slower until he's out in space and then turn on the speed.