Lynden Dunn

Pata

Dunn also put McDonald in the position where he was forced to perform a dinky little kick across goal, that predictably was turned over for a dogs goal. No need to give the handball to T-Mac who was rapidly going back with the flight of the ball, but in perfect line for 2 opponents to intercept him, forcing a quick rushed disposal in tight space with only 1 valid albeit dangerous option.

Dunn should've taken the responsibility and taken the game on.

He was in the boxseat to burn the opponents and drive it back out, but he chose the poor and soft option of making it someone else's problem. Gutless.

Made me sick.

• Like 1

I really cant understand some posters here and their attitude to Dunn

He works hard kicks well competes well and has a very high disposal efficiency

He made 1 clanger yesterday and was easily in our best

give the guy a break

• Like 3

give the guy a break

Sorry mate, but that about sums up your footy knowledge, I think.

give the guy a break

He gave away the first goal of the game and then that all important one at the end when we were coming at them.

The difficulty with Dunn is he is both excellent and horrible, with no middle ground where he is consistent and reliable. Some of his kicking yesterday against the Doggies was sublime, while others were so pathetic it is difficult to understand his place in the team. At the end of last year I was 50/50 on Dunn and still am. But I am of the strong opinion that the rubbish player development at MFC has stuffed up a really good young footballer. In his first 10 or so games I thought we were looking at a great 3rd forward option.

• Like 2

He's done dumb things for years. As long as we have pea hearted, no-skilled players like him on the list we'll go nowhere, no matter who is the coach.

And to think he is far from being our worst player... Good Luck Roosy... ? Just saying

The difficulty with Dunn is he is both excellent and horrible, with no middle ground where he is consistent and reliable. Some of his kicking yesterday against the Doggies was sublime, while others were so pathetic it is difficult to understand his place in the team. At the end of last year I was 50/50 on Dunn and still am. But I am of the strong opinion that the rubbish player development at MFC has stuffed up a really good young footballer. In his first 10 or so games I thought we were looking at a great 3rd forward option.

Over nine years I have missed the few excellents in a sea of awfulness.

This has to be his last contract at MFC ( I said that before) and his survival highlights a lot of the jetsam we have discarded before him.

And in his first 10 games was showing his timidity and regularly dropped his head going for marks. A flawed player with bits and pieces skills that are not enough at AFL level. We wasted the pick we got for Jolly on him.

You might be leading the Demonland argumentum ad hominem award this year, so allow me to respond in kind.

[censored].

:(

Haha takes one to know one, nerdlinger.

Try watching the game for once instead of staring at the stats column.

No need to sign off your posts, your name is at the top.

Edited by Machiavelli

Over nine years I have missed the few excellents in a sea of awfulness.

This has to be his last contract at MFC ( I said that before) and his survival highlights a lot of the jetsam we have discarded before him.

And in his first 10 games was showing his timidity and regularly dropped his head going for marks. A flawed player with bits and pieces skills that are not enough at AFL level. We wasted the pick we got for Jolly on him.

I think he's marginally better making dumb decisions as a forward than dumb decisions as a back. Edited by maurie

No need to sign off your posts, your name is at the top.

I'll give you that one... I laughed.

I had another thought, however. Your argument, whenever someone says they rate Dunn on the field, is that "clearly you don't know anything about football". So, turning to the stats sheet again (as I am prone to doing), we'll see that Dunn has played 117 matches since 2006, at an average of 14.6 matches per round. That would suggest that through five coaches (is it five? I'm a statistician, not a historian), however many list managers and leadership group members, Dunn has been rated enough to hold a spot in the team *most of the time*. Without doing the research, I think the games he's missed are generally due to selection rather than injury concerns, but I'm happy to be corrected with facts (something you're not keen on, I've noticed).

So, by the logic of your standard response...

Sorry mate, but that about sums up your footy knowledge, I think.

... am I to assume that you claim to know more about football than Daniher, Bailey, Viney, Neeld, and Neil Craig? Is that your assertion? Further, if Paul Roos does come on board next year and Dunn gets a game in round one, will you also claim that Paul Roos knows less about football than you? We need an answer to this question in particular, because I will bump this thread when the team is named for round one next year.

So here's your big chance. Do you, or do you not, know more about football than Paul Roos (or whoever Melbourne's next head coach is)?

Secondary, and related, question. Are you willing to stop using this arrogant, unhelpful, derogatory and fallacious argument in future, or will that stretch the limits of your boundless football intellect?

Nah, it was really more my general attitude towards that poster, but to me his opinion of Dunn confirms it.

Regardless of what the stats say, far too often when I see the ball to near Dunn, he makes a decision that may not show up as a negative stat, but has a negative effect on our side's ball movement.

He plays a "safe" defeatist game style and puts his own teammates into hard positions instead of putting the onus on himself to make things happen.

No, I don't know more than those coaches, and I'd have kept him if I were in the same positions.

But Dunn has to date now made it clear to me that he is not worth persevering with.

He might not get into trouble too often himself, but he is a walking stalemate.

Good offence is a good defence. And a good defence is a good offence.

You've gotta out pressure on your opposition, and Dunn instead puts it on his teammates.

Players do that from time to time, but he does it too often.

It's a habit and what he aims to do.

Now either the coaches have had too much else to focus on and not worried about focusing on his performance and how it could be changed, or he simply won't change.

But his senior influence on the side saps a lot of our drive.

I had another thought, however. Your argument, whenever someone says they rate Dunn on the field, is that "clearly you don't know anything about football". So, turning to the stats sheet again (as I am prone to doing), we'll see that Dunn has played 117 matches since 2006, at an average of 14.6 matches per round. That would suggest that through five coaches (is it five? I'm a statistician, not a historian), however many list managers and leadership group members, Dunn has been rated enough to hold a spot in the team *most of the time*. Without doing the research, I think the games he's missed are generally due to selection rather than injury concerns, but I'm happy to be corrected with facts (something you're not keen on, I've noticed).

It's six coaches, I think (Daniher, Riley, Bailey, Viney, Neeld, Craig).

I don't think that the measure of games played helps bolster an argument in support of Dunn's credentials. Relative to other Melbourne players it may say something, but given that other mediocre players like Matthew Bate (102 games) have been able to get to 100 games, I don't think it speaks too much about Dunn's ability. It says more about our lack of options to replace Dunn with.

• Like 1

... am I to assume that you claim to know more about football than Daniher, Bailey, Viney, Neeld, and Neil Craig? Is that your assertion? Further, if Paul Roos does come on board next year and Dunn gets a game in round one, will you also claim that Paul Roos knows less about football than you? We need an answer to this question in particular, because I will bump this thread when the team is named for round one next year.

So here's your big chance. Do you, or do you not, know more about football than Paul Roos (or whoever Melbourne's next head coach is)?

Secondary, and related, question. Are you willing to stop using this arrogant, unhelpful, derogatory and fallacious argument in future, or will that stretch the limits of your boundless football intellect?

Well let's not worry too much about Daniher. Dunn was only under him for his first 2.5 years and you aren't tipping out a first rounder at that stage unless he is truly rubbish (Lucas Cook). So Bailey takes over in 2008 and Dunn has played 3 years and I'm not sure or don't care how many games. So he plays him as a forward because he's at the age where he should be starting to contribute regularly in a young side. That doesn't work so he tags a bit, that doesn't work so he makes him into a defensive forward and he shows a bit of promise in 2010 so he gets another 2 year deal because there really isn't much on our list to pressure him and he's still relatively young.

2011 comes under Bailey and again he's in and out of the team and not that great but by now he's one of the better athletes and we are an up and down team so guys will get games. 2012 comes and he's got his contract and Neeld plays him a little then drops him and tries him as a defender to save his career. He looks ok finally starting to attack the play a bit and gets some possessions and Neeld, the master of contracts for everyone no matter how crud you are gives him another 2 year deal! He starts this year a bit shaky in one of the worst teams of modern time and then comfortably sees the season out because let's be honest how many mid sized defenders or defenders at all are pushing for his spot at Casey - none. And now he's contracted again for next year, where following a trend he'll probably play a rubbish first half but do enough in the last 8 rounds to earn another contract.

So the moral of the story is he's always been young enough and worth a shot at a new position to get games. That's how he's spent most of his career averaging that 14 matches a year you put out.

He's played his career to date in a horribly weak team with a horribly weak list and been young enough and worth reinventing that they've kept him. But it will do my head in if he gets another two year deal ever again.

Also I really with we kept Petterd and moved him to half back. Sure he can turn it over at times but he attacks the ball 110%, isn't afraid to tackle and runs and finds the footy. He's twice the footballer Dunn is.