MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION

Demonland

THE TIME MACHINE by Whispering Jack

It says something for the indomitable spirit of the Demon faithful that so many turned up last night to the club's sixth annual Foundation Heroes dinner and how so many contributed to their ailing club's cause.

This has been the case ever since the late Jim Stynes and Don McLardy launched the concept which had already raised in excess of $6m and by last year had wiped off the black hole of millions of dollars in debt but now, the situation was in many ways more dire than ever before.

Since last year's FH function things have gone downhill considerably. Having tragically lost Jim to cancer, the club lurched through the tanking enquiry and its aftermath and then the wheels fell off with the team underperforming so badly that we saw heads rolling and a projected profit of $200k turning into a sea of red ink and a potentially massive drain on club finances. The club faced a liquidity crisis.

Peter Jackson, the club's new CEO explained to last night's attendees that we were now facing "reality". The club has gone cap in hand to the AFL for assistance which will tide it over until it can make a new start in 2014 operating under the new reality. We will have a new chairman, new board members, new coaches and some new and hopefully better players. But that will still not be enough.

Jackson wants us to model ourselves on successful well run clubs like Geelong and Sydney. The key is "list management, list management and list management" and from that will follow "player development, player development and player development." The wheels are already rolling in that direction.

The idea is to get the club out of the trough and never to go back there. We know that clubs like Geelong and Sydney and this week's opponent, Fremantle were once struggling both on and off the field. And as Todd Viney pointed out last night, today's powerhouse club Hawthorn was a laughing stock less than 10 years ago but by 2008 had won the flag. The host for the evening opened with the story of how his grandfather used to recall the team of 1953 that finished second last but morphed into a team that won six premierships in the decade to follow.

If only we had a time machine and could go back to right the wrongs that we now know were done and which afflict our club to this day. We don't have the benefit of that but with a new regime coming into place and a young playing list that can and must improve with time and hard work, we're still alive and with the generosity and support of the growing band of Foundation Heroes we can still astound the football world with the resilience for which men like Jim Stynes who inspired the concept was so well known and respected.

THE GAME Melbourne v Fremantle at the MCG, Sunday 18 August, 2013 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 17 wins Fremantle 13 wins

MCG Melbourne 7 wins Fremantle 4 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 9 wins Fremantle 13 wins

The Coaches Craig 0 wins Lyon 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Footy Channel (live at 1.00pm)

RADIO SEN ABC

THE BETTING

Melbourne $17.00 to win Fremantle $1.01 to win

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Fremantle 19.16.130 defeated Melbourne 6.4.40 Round 9, 2013 at Paterson Stadium

Jack Watts kicked the first goal of the match and after that, Fremantle comprehensively blew Melbourne away. Jeremy Howe defies the odds and was the Demons' best with 27 possessions and two goals.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs Lynden Dunn Colin Garland Dean Terlich

Half backs Matt Jones Tom McDonald James Strauss

Centreline Jordie McKenzie Jack Trengove Jeremy Howe

Half forwards Jack Viney Jack Watts Shannon Byrnes

Forwards Colin Sylvia Jack Fitzpatrick Troy Davis

Followers Jake Spencer Jack Grimes Nathan Jones

Interchange Sam Blease Aaron Davey Dean Kent Luke Tapscott

Emergencies Max Gawn Cameron Pedersen David Rodan

In Sam Blease Jeremy Howe

Out Mitch Clisby (suspension) Daniel Nicholson

FREMANTLE

Backs Alex Silvagni Zac Dawson Paul Duffield

Half backs Tendai Mzungu Michael Johnson Lee Spurr

Centreline Nick Suban Ryan Crowley Danyle Pearce

Half forwards David Mundy Chris Mayne Michael Walters

Forwards Aaron Sandilands Matthew Pavlich Hayden Ballantyne

Followers Zac Clarke Nathan Fyfe Matt de Boer

Interchange Michael Barlow Stephen Hill Lachie Neale Tom Sheridan

Emergencies Hayden Crozier Cameron Sutcliffe Matthew Taberner

In Stephen Hill

Out Cameron Sutcliffe

I don't know whether it was by design or merely a co-incidence but we didn't hear much at Wednesday night's Foundation Heroes function about the playing side of the club. We saw a video presentation of the leaders Jack and Jack and Nathan Jones about how they prepare themselves in these times of adversity and some hopeful references of a better future from some of the speakers but there was precious little from stand in coach Neil Craig. Perhaps the organisers felt it might detract from the fundraising to focus too much on the reality of the on field disaster that 2013 will come to be known as for the club in the future.

It's a pity we didn't hear from Craig because he's a straight shooter and always positive and constructive in what he says. Notwithstanding, some of those present might not have liked to hear what he had to say. At his presser he pointed out that the team needs to learn how to win again and that's an obvious one. So is the fact that it's the midfield where the team suffers so much in comparison with its opposition on a weekly basis. But I also suspect that Craig was kept out of the limelight because, despite his apparent popularity with the playing group, he's probably not in the running for the coaching role in 2014 and beyond.

In that respect, there's a certain irony in the fact that the Demons take on the Dockers at the MCG this week. When they last confronted each other at this venue, the visitors were coached by Mark Harvey, were coming off an ordinary season and were badly affected by injury woes. Confidence and morale were low and they received a whipping to the tune of 89 points. They looked totally inept in the face of an attacking Melbourne line up against which they hardly raised a whimper - the exact opposite of what we're expecting this Sunday.

In the interim, Fremantle went out an got themselves a coach who changed the mindset and style of the football team. He tinkered a little with the list and prepared them in his own inimitable way and now, Ross Lyon has taken the team forward in his own time machine. Two years down the track, they are heading for a top four (and possibly top two) placing that puts them well in the frame to win a flag in 2013.

That's coming off an 89 point loss in June 2011 to a Melbourne side which a month earlier had been described as "bruise-free".

There's not much more that one can say about this game. The two teams are travelling in different directions at this time. One has its sights set on a bigger prize; the other limping its way to season's end. At least the Demons showed a little fight up there on the Gold Coast last week and with some better accuracy in kicking for goal, could easily have won the game. They might learn a little about winning this week but mostly, it will be from the opposition.

Fremantle by 58 points.

• Like 1

FB: Dunn Garland Terlich

HB: Strauss McDonald Clisby

C: Trengove Jones M. Jones
HF: Tapscott Davis Kent
FF: Byrnes Fitzy Watts

Foll: Spencer Viney McKenzie
Int: Sylvia Davey Grimes Nicholson

That's last weeks team. What does everyone think of the potential changes for this week? Clisby out but besides that you might think of dropping Matt Jones (quiet for a few weeks), Nicholson or Tapscott. Most others you'd think are pretty safe.

Big Gawn as well as Jetta were 2 of the best in the VFL. Toumpas also got involved. Not sure you'd bring back Frawley or Dawes to rush them in this week. Magner solid as always. I wouldn't think this would be the week to play Dom Barry or Taggert.

Could bring Pedersen back to play on the resting ruckman and allow one of Dunn or Garland to play small on a dangerous Freo forward or back in the likes of Terlich and Strauss against Ballantyne and Walters.

• Like 1

Definitely don't drop Tapscott he played well last week and I hope Strauss is ok for this week because he was playing well until Brown decided to break his nose.

Sucks losing Clisby after his best game yet!

There are so many that I want to have as outs but there is little waiting in the sheds.

Possible outs:

Davey (sucks), Nicholson (sucks), Byrnes (sucks), M Jones (rest)

Possible ins:

Gawn, Magner, Taggert, Jetta (hasn't earned it - only one good game)...... Dawes and Frawley (if fit)

Taggert you could argue is not ready but Taggert can't do any worse than Davey or Nicho so maybe he could replace Davey as sub?

Definitely don't drop Tapscott he played well last week and I hope Strauss is ok for this week because he was playing well until Brown decided to break his nose.

Sucks losing Clisby after his best game yet!

There are so many that I want to have as outs but there is little waiting in the sheds.

Possible outs:

Davey (sucks), Nicholson (sucks), Byrnes (sucks), M Jones (rest)

Possible ins:

Gawn, Magner, Taggert, Jetta (hasn't earned it - only one good game)

I'd like to see Microsoft Word's thesaurus add "sucks" to the synonyms for "omit".

"omit" doesn't do them justice!

I would have to disagree on the Byrnes omission... yes he got 1.4 or whatever it was which could just have easily been 4.1 if he had not been having an exceptionally off day (even the best have those)... he at least got the ball and was a chance which is more than can be said about several others.

• Like 1

Ins: Frawley, Howe and assuming he passes fitness test then Dawes comes in as well. We also have to play Gawn this week because Freo have two rucks that can dominate (Sandilands and Clarke) so to just play Spencer would be expecting way too much and a major misjudgment. Frawleys return means Pedo can't get back in.

All are outs are unlucky coming off a good game but I suspect the following:

Out: Davis, Nicholson (last player in), Fitzpatrick (unless Dawes doesn't come up) and Clibsy (susp).

Jetta for Nicholson. It might have been one good game, but it was one very good game. Strike while the iron is hot and give him a run of a couple of games before the season is out.

Would be sheer madness to drop Byrnes. Yes he had a stinker in front of goal but he got into a position to be able to kick them.

Davis gets another chance I guess, but geeze he'd want to be better.

• Like 1

Jetta for Nicholson. It might have been one good game, but it was one very good game. Strike while the iron is hot and give him a run of a couple of games before the season is out.

Would be sheer madness to drop Byrnes. Yes he had a stinker in front of goal but he got into a position to be able to kick them.

Slow vs crap disposal.....it's like a double edged sword.

Agree about Byrnes. Davis can start back? It might be good to give him a clear role.

I would have to disagree on the Byrnes omission... yes he got 1.4 or whatever it was which could just have easily been 4.1 if he had not been having an exceptionally off day (even the best have those)... he at least got the ball and was a chance which is more than can be said about several others.

Fair call - but if we had any other young small forwards I would bring them in (sadly we don't)

If he wants a spot in the side he has to start showing it. He is obviously not part of our future so really he is there as a mentor/experience and that means he needs to lead by example (that involves making the most of opportunities).

And I am still waiting to see Byrnes on an "on day".

Edited by Young Dee

Skill wise Davis was pretty rubbish. Clearly lacks the pace to get enough separation on the lead or the size/marking ability to hold the marks. Also can't kick when he did get it. But his work rate was so far higher than others who have played across CHF this year - I'm talking Watts, Howe and Pedersen etc. At this stage I'd much rather play Davis with him giving 110% than some of the others mentioned.

Agree on Byrnes. His kicking was crud but in terms of getting the ball it was the best game so far this year by any small forward in the red and blue.

Round 21 Melbourne team
B: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean Terlich
HB: Matt Jones, Tom McDonald, James Strauss
C: Jordie McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Jeremy Howe
HF: Jack Viney, Jack Watts, Shannon Byrnes
F: Colin Sylvia, Jack Fitzpatrick, Troy Davis
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Jack Grimes, Nathan Jones
I/C (from): David Rodan, Sam Blease, Cameron Pedersen, Dean Kent, Luke Tapscott, Aaron Davey, Max Gawn
IN: David Rodan, Sam Blease, Max Gawn, Jeremy Howe, Cameron Pedersen
OUT: Mitch Clisby (suspension), Daniel Nicholson

Choices on the bench aren't great. I'd pick Kent, Tapscott and Gawn, then one of Rodan/Blease.

Round 21 Melbourne team

I/C (from): David Rodan, Sam Blease, Cameron Pedersen, Dean Kent, Luke Tapscott, Aaron Davey, Max Gawn

Choices on the bench aren't great. I'd pick Kent, Tapscott and Gawn, then one of Rodan/Blease.

Agree - I would have Kent, Tapscott, Gawn and Blease as sub (or maybe Pederson because we lacked forwards last week)

Great to see Strauss get another game

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

FB: Dunn Garland Terlich

HB: Strauss McDonald Clisby

C: Trengove Jones M. Jones

HF: Tapscott Davis Kent

FF: Byrnes Fitzy Watts

Foll: Spencer Viney McKenzie

Int: Sylvia Davey Grimes Nicholson

That's last weeks team. What does everyone think of the potential changes for this week? Clisby out but besides that you might think of dropping Matt Jones (quiet for a few weeks), Nicholson or Tapscott. Most others you'd think are pretty safe.

Big Gawn as well as Jetta were 2 of the best in the VFL. Toumpas also got involved. Not sure you'd bring back Frawley or Dawes to rush them in this week. Magner solid as always. I wouldn't think this would be the week to play Dom Barry or Taggert.

Could bring Pedersen back to play on the resting ruckman and allow one of Dunn or Garland to play small on a dangerous Freo forward or back in the likes of Terlich and Strauss against Ballantyne and Walters.

Davey Out! Strauss out

Round 21 Melbourne team

It's going to pour, why would you pick Gawn? Rodan in the wet.

I'm praying to the footy gods for mercy.

There are none and there isn't any-or we would be dead already.

Round 21 Melbourne teamB: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean TerlichHB: Matt Jones, Tom McDonald, James StraussC: Jordie McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Jeremy HoweHF: Jack Viney, Jack Watts, Shannon ByrnesF: Colin Sylvia, Jack Fitzpatrick, Troy DavisFOLL: Jake Spencer, Jack Grimes, Nathan JonesI/C (from): David Rodan, Sam Blease, Cameron Pedersen, Dean Kent, Luke Tapscott, Aaron Davey, Max GawnIN: David Rodan, Sam Blease, Max Gawn, Jeremy Howe, Cameron PedersenOUT: Mitch Clisby (suspension), Daniel Nicholson

My final bench: Blease, Kent, Tappy, (Sub) Davey

Blease needs to come in because he's young and brings excitement to the team, I thought Tappy played alright last week and kent was good but just innacurate. Davey was ok as the sub again and for me retains that spot, if not then either swap him ith Blease or Rodan gets his spot. Both Fitzy and Spencer keep their respective tall spots.