Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

On Wed Sept 25th I was in Spain reading the HUN on-line. It was about 4pm local time - midnight in Oz.

There was a front-page article saying that four Essendon 'officials' (Hird, Corcoran, Dank, Robinson) would get a life ban from all sports for trafficking, and 12 players would be served infraction notices.

Some hours later all record of the article had been removed.

Similarly, on the 3AW website there was the text of Caroline Wilson's comments on the same topic, basically saying the same thing. She may well have been parroting the HUN article. That item was similarly removed a few days later.

Both items may have been removed following a statement by WADA head John Fahey, along the lines, I think, that it was a case of journos speculating.

Actually if I recall this correctly, I think it was Demetrio who came out and said that this was just journos speculating and there was no evidence to suggest these sanctions would occur. Then Fahey came out and gave Demetrio a big whack for commenting on an active investigation and gave no indication which way the penalities would play out.

No, this article appeared, only on-line, not in print, some weeks after Demetriou had been reprimanded by Fahey. I reckon it was only up for a few hours - maybe midnight until 5am Australian time.

It was very specific. I can't recall who the author was, but I don't think it was one of the usual HUN journos.

No, this article appeared, only on-line, not in print, some weeks after Demetriou had been reprimanded by Fahey. I reckon it was only up for a few hours - maybe midnight until 5am Australian time.

It was very specific. I can't recall who the author was, but I don't think it was one of the usual HUN journos.

Seems to me that the likelihood is the lawyers got involved - possibly representing the Essendon Football Club or individuals associated with the club. I expect said legal people to be busy over the coming months and even years the way this is going.

The Ministry of Truth is responsible for this

George Orwell wrote about it some time ago

Is this the article you are referring to?

ASADA ready with lifetime sport bans

• Like 1

The Ministry of Truth is responsible for this

George Orwell wrote about it some time ago

that'd be Winston....with an "I" ...lol :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Seems to me that the likelihood is the lawyers got involved - possibly representing the Essendon Football Club or individuals associated with the club. I expect said legal people to be busy over the coming months and even years the way this is going.

I'm sure that Hird et al will try and tie it up in legalieese just as Armstrong tried to. It won't wash with ASADA (or WADA). Eventually they will face the music, but it could go on for a year or more if they don't come clean, which they show no signs of doing.

Demetriou's style is to do deals, and I'm sure he would like to here. But neither ASADA nor WADA do deals. It must be driving him to destraction, so he is leaking stories about them (ASADA) " not knowing what they are doing", or worse still, " they have found nothing", which I must say a lot of people, particularly on here, seem to be swallowing.

It will all come out in the end, and those found guilty will be severely punished with much higher penalties than if they had cooperated from the beginning, and with the AFL red-faced and very much poorer particularly when the writs from players start flying around after the infraction notices are issued. I'm predicting EFC will be in severe financial difficulty as a result of this.

Is this the article you are referring to?

ASADA ready with lifetime sport bans

I don't think so. The Magnay article appeared both on line and in print in the Australian, not the HUN or AW and is still available to be read on its site. Magnay is well connected and authoritative and nothing has changed since she wrote the article. There will be infraction notices and ASADA is working to nobody's time limits other than its own and the message to clubs wanting to trade to get Bomber players is pretty clear.
  • Like 1

I heard a rumour and I stress only a rumour that several Essendon players will be getting substantial bans and Hird will be getting a lifetime ban.

It would have to be rumour only. Unless some real heavy stuff comes out, I would imagine that the maximum awaiting Hird would be four years. Of course, that sort of penalty would inevitably put paid to his coaching career anyway because I just can't see him have any credibility whatever if he goes down.

He might take this through the courts but inevitably, the WADA Code will triumph.

It's set up that way.

I heard a rumour and I stress only a rumour that several Essendon players will be getting substantial bans and Hird will be getting a lifetime ban.

I think there will be certainly over 10 players. Hird will be charged with serious offences and as a result won't be back. It will hang around EFC for years.

Meantime we should have nothing to do with them.

Dont care what happens to the players either way, but I will do cartwheels if Hird is banned for life.

he is scum.

Proof this issue is greater then just the Messendon plyers

x7vgmv54-1367557542.jpg

The whole Club is infected

Proof this issue is greater then just the Messendon plyers

x7vgmv54-1367557542.jpg

The whole Club is infected

I wonder if those very same mothers would be of the same inclination if it were THEIR sons in question ?? :huh:

• Like 1

I wonder if those very same mothers would be of the same inclination if it were THEIR sons in question ?? :huh:

And his supporters are everywhere

CaroHird_zpsfdd67e92.jpg

Edited by TheBigFrog
  • Like 1

And his supporters are everywhere

CaroHird_zpsfdd67e92.jpg

lol

Bassett just announced to Essendrug...

Bassett coaching career is now

bush_goes_down_the_toilet_243155.jpg

Essendon seem very quiet this trading period :rolleyes:

A bit different for them :o:)

Essendon seem very quiet this trading period :rolleyes:

A bit different for them :o:)

Would you want to trade with them?

Would you want to trade with them?

No...lol

I notice that did some horse dealing for pick 48. Thats another two coming...not too many going out. Golly I wonder how they will fit them all on a list....I wonder ?? :o