Mike Sheehan for President

dees189227

He would also be perfect to host DeeTV. Cya Robbo!! :)

I know you're being facetious DeeVoted, but I reckon your point isn't invalid.

A president isn't a CEO. The day to day business of the club is handled by the CEO. The role of the president is to really smell what's being offered up by the CEO and club and make sure it smells ok. The President oversees that, but perhaps more importantly they act as an emotional barometer for the club, and a much needed mouth piece.

I really think Mike would be a unifying figure for the club, much more so than a former Treasurer during a very volatile political period, or a faceless business person.

• Like 1

I dont think its the worst idea. I think i recall he was quite a passionate melbourne supporter?

I could be wrong and getting him confused with some one else.

I say we go one step further. Let's do an X Factor style talent show and each of these celebs who we want to be our pres. can do an act . Iron Mike can do his three silly twerps act minus two twerps, Jeffrey can recreate what he planned on doing to those Greek beauty pageant contestants while Ox can recreate his famous blind turn goal against Carlton in the 94 qualifying final while wearing his original jumper and shorts and Mark Neeld providing commentary in lieu of Denis Cometti.

Fair dinkum, profile is nice but ability needs to come with it. This was the same bloke who once explained that the reason why Geelong and Melbourne had a gulf of class between them was because 'at the start of 2007, Geelong had a team on the rise but Melbourne's was in decline.' Sterling stuff.

Edited by Guest

I heard Wilbur Wilde is a Dee fan. How about him for Pres? He could provide pre game entertainment at the Pres lunch. Knows how to blow his own horn.

;) ;)

He'd be unable to trumpet his cause !!

I dont think its the worst idea. I think i recall he was quite a passionate melbourne supporter?

I could be wrong and getting him confused with some one else.

You are not getting him confused as I have travelled in on the tram with him to an MFC AGM back in the Gutnick era. I am presuming that he is still a paid-up MFC member and his articles are without fear and favour and more objective than some other journos [such as the Collingwood President] when reporting on his own team. I think that we could do a lot worse than bringing him on board!

We need someone with a bit of flair to sell the club.

At the moment the club is not worth a brass razoo.

MS is not the the answer. AS a retired pollie is definitely not the answer

Bartlett, I wouldn't know if I fell over him.

None of the names mentioned have stirred my emotions to say "Yo is the Man"

We are stooping pretty low if we are considering a journalist for president.

Eddie say hi !!

• Like 1

What's wrong with Robbo?

I love the bloke.

THBT was onto me, it was tongue in cheek. Robbo does a great job, I too love the guy. He gives a bit of comic relief at a time when we need a distraction from the turmoil we are in at present. I was more or less saying as Pres Sheahan would make a great host.

But who knows he may make a great president. I dont know, nobody would, unless he was given the chance. I am not saying let him do it. Our most successful president was Bert Chadwick, ex player tough backman, but we are hearing its time to move on from ex players and red & blue diehards and try something different. I just know we need to select the right people for the board and coach to get the players firing. Both go hand in hand. A successful team makes the board look good, a successful board makes the club look good. We really need to get it right this time,the pressure is on.

A good president could come from anywhere, who would of thought all those years ago, a fresh faced, gap toothed, young reporter in Eddie MacQuire would end up being be the heavyweight for the CFC and AFL.

Its the hands of Jackson to oversee that we get the right people, if Sheahan, at worst, is a member on the board, he may do a great job. I said it before we have some very talented personal to call upon, we just need to pull a diamond from the rough.

An element to this is a confusion possibility of tasking and abilities as it applies to things.

I know in my industry there are builders who can hardly use a tool. But they are good builders because they know how to access the skills and knowledge of others and bring this to bear on the projects they are 'building". They consider the big picture and delegate.

So to with a president. If he can create a team of able people who can work together and benefit from the synergies created then does the President himself have to be a legal wiz, a merchant financier, an ad guru etc.? No He just needs to be a good leader and facilitator. he / she needs to have a thorough understanding and /or background in the industry they seek to influence.

I will give Mike this ( though like others hes grated on me at times ) . He does know footy. He understands what makes good clubs tick and why ours has been putrid. He called it as much. He can be unbiased in his appraisals and yet he is still a Melbourne man like us, even after all the rubbish, like us.

its not the daftest idea put forward at all

The media either ignores a club or stitches it up. This would happen whether Sheehan was President or otherwise. If the selling point is media contacts we are in a heap of trouble.

Tell that to Collingwood!

• Like 2

Better option than Stockdale imo. His contact list would be huge. Journo's know everyone.

At least on the board. With Roos on the couch would be a club in house show!!!

Stockdale will not be President, l reckon Mike would be great in the job but he won't do it, Bartlett is the man.

What a pathetic and disgusting proposal.

No.

• Like 1

We are stooping pretty low if we are considering a journalist for president.

We have had a Rabbi! What does it matter?