Wooden spoon possible :(

darkhorse72

How can the AFL justify giving us a priority pick after we tanked to get the last one?

Instead of us having to pay the $500,000 to the AFL as punishment they are giving us 2-3 million to help our faliure of developing so many high picks.

We will get draft assistance, Christ did you see the players GWS had missing on the weekend, if we don't get help there's no hope for the supporters, the clubs a basket case and pick 1 and ;3 are ours, personally I think Roos is waiting to see what assistance we get before making his decision .

How can the AFL justify giving us a priority pick after we tanked to get the last one?

Instead of us having to pay the $500,000 to the AFL as punishment they are giving us 2-3 million to help our faliure of developing so many high picks.

You can't punish the future administration for the actions of the past one. We are an absolute basket case, the AFL can't have a club that is so far off the pace. They accept that GWS is developing and have the talent to improve next year, we don't. The AFL has a choice help us out and hopefully we don't stuff up our draft picks or run the risk of the MFC being a severely uncompetitive for many years to come.

With Free agency if you are a half decent footballer, such as James Frawley, if you can't see any improvement or chance to play finals you will move on. Priority picks don't make a list but it can help and we need all the help we can get. I don't think the AFL will give us pick 1 unless we come last, I think we will get a pick straight after our first pick and hopefully Col Sylvia goes and the AFL gives us a pick after our second round pick, trade Jack Watts for Carlton first round pick, giving us picks 2,3,9,20,21

You can't punish the future administration for the actions of the past one. We are an absolute basket case, the AFL can't have a club that is so far off the pace. They accept that GWS is developing and have the talent to improve next year, we don't. The AFL has a choice help us out and hopefully we don't stuff up our draft picks or run the risk of the MFC being a severely uncompetitive for many years to come.

With Free agency if you are a half decent footballer, such as James Frawley, if you can't see any improvement or chance to play finals you will move on. Priority picks don't make a list but it can help and we need all the help we can get. I don't think the AFL will give us pick 1 unless we come last, I think we will get a pick straight after our first pick and hopefully Col Sylvia goes and the AFL gives us a pick after our second round pick, trade Jack Watts for Carlton first round pick, giving us picks 2,3,9,20,21

Those picks will be useful in the 2016 season.

What are you going to do next year?

Start building a team for 2016, there is no short term fix. We can offer any of those picks for a trade but we need to identify the midfielders that will make our team better, target them, get them to agree to come to us and execute the trade. The hard part is getting them to agree to come to us.

I read we need to get experience mids, what this year has shown we just can't get experience players just because they will come to us, we don't need to get fringe players from other clubs we need quality adn getting a quality player to leave a club and come to us will be hard this year. Dawes and Clark over the past two years have been good wins except for the fact they can't stay fit but this is a different year our club will struggle this year to attract any decent players.

Viney will be better, Toumpas will be better, Hogan comes in, hopefully Grimes, Trengove go through off season injury free, Clark recovers, Jamar recovers, M Jones, Clisby, Kent, Terlich improve. We do have players on our list that will improve ourside next year, will we be bottom 4 most likely, do we lose by an average margin exceeding 10 goals I hope not, can we win 4-6 games yes.

Start building a team for 2016, there is no short term fix. We can offer any of those picks for a trade but we need to identify the midfielders that will make our team better, target them, get them to agree to come to us and execute the trade. The hard part is getting them to agree to come to us.

I read we need to get experience mids, what this year has shown we just can't get experience players just because they will come to us, we don't need to get fringe players from other clubs we need quality adn getting a quality player to leave a club and come to us will be hard this year. Dawes and Clark over the past two years have been good wins except for the fact they can't stay fit but this is a different year our club will struggle this year to attract any decent players.

Viney will be better, Toumpas will be better, Hogan comes in, hopefully Grimes, Trengove go through off season injury free, Clark recovers, Jamar recovers, M Jones, Clisby, Kent, Terlich improve. We do have players on our list that will improve ourside next year, will we be bottom 4 most likely, do we lose by an average margin exceeding 10 goals I hope not, can we win 4-6 games yes.

You can well say I am too negative but based on my observations over the few couple of years

I believe Grimes and Trengove are as good as they are likely to get.

Jamar is past it after really one good season in his time at the MFC

M Jones, Clisby , Kent and Terlich are battlers who are barely if at all AFL standard.

I doubt any one of them would make it onto any other AFL team's list.

• Like 1

Priority picks are a massive red herring. Fool's Gold even. No matter how many high picks we are gifted, they are not going to help us unless we get our player development right. As handy as it might be to get pick 1 and trade it off for a quality mid or two, it is a bandaid solution to a deep-rooted problem and I would prefer the club to address the issue head-on instead of covering it up again. There is a massive flaw in our system that leads so many talented players to fail to reach their potential, and we need to identify the deficiency and fix it before we can get the club moving in the right direction.

Brilliant Post.

chew on a fat bit of rope

How can the AFL justify GWS getting 4 number 1 picks in 3 yrs and buddy on top of that, pick 1 and 3 are ours and we deserve them, Didnt Richmond finish last when the blues got Kruezer?

Correct. The tiges had to make do with that crock Trent Cotchin.

FWIW, we would have had that crock and Nic Nat, if we had lost to the Dogs or in the Kreuzer cup, ( the most expensive wins in the club's history).

Edited by Redleg

Correct. The tiges had to make do with that crock Trent Cotchin.

FWIW, we would have had that crock and Nic Nat, if we had lost to the Dogs or in the Kreuzer cup, ( the most expensive wins in the club's history).

Bloody Jeff White, the only game for the year he dominated I think it was his 250th

Bloody Jeff White, the only game for the year he dominated I think it was his 250th

To those who say tanking killed us, would we have been a better side with Cotchin and Nic Nat? I think so. Yet we won the Dogs game, what did it help us?

and Red with our track record we would have botched those picks too in all probability

GWS won't win another game. Fremantle and Brisbane away will both be pretty heavy losses. Richmond at home the same. Gold Coast away in round 23 is their only chance but Gold Coast should have them quite comfortably covered.

Of course, we also won't win another game either, and we may well finish with a lower percentage than them.

Just looking at the GWS v us fixtures for the final rounds. While we play some "average' side, our form suggested we wont win anyone including the Suns and Doggies. GWS also play a couple of those sides and their improving form means they may pinch one and move above us on percentage.

Wil we be accused of tanking? again...

The boys need to get their act together as getting the spoon over GW would be the icing on the cake :(

We won't be accused of tanking this year, we are the worst side in the comp by a space.

GWS and the Bullies have improved out of sight the past month.

The Bullies were always going to improve as well, regardless of how the media like to spin the Bulldogs, their list isn't that bad.

They have Griffin, Cooney and are surrounded by experienced blokes like Gia, Murphy, Boyd and Cross, they were always well ahead of us.

We can't afford to play without Clark, Dawes and have blokes like Frawley get injured, we just haven't got the depth to cover them.

Then on top of that, Jamar and Evans are out, leaves us pretty vulnerable.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did win the spoon, but I wouldn't lose heart about it, the MFC are on the right track.

PJ is a god send and the best thing that has happened to this club since we made the Grand Final.

PJ gives me hope that i'll see a Demons flag before I kick the bucket.

GWS won't win another game. Fremantle and Brisbane away will both be pretty heavy losses. Richmond at home the same. Gold Coast away in round 23 is their only chance but Gold Coast should have them quite comfortably covered.

Of course, we also won't win another game either, and we may well finish with a lower percentage than them.

Brisbane won't be a heavy loss for them, especially with Brown out - who's leadership is underrated.

Those GWS kids could take it right up to Brisbane.

next year will be heads down and bums up od

we will be lucky to win any games and will be wooden spooners

anyone who expects more is dreaming

there will be wholesale delistments, we will lose some to FA and trades

replacing these players (apart from draftees) will be a gargantuan task

our chances of attracting any good FA's or good trades are small

we won't get our midfield next year

or did you foresee a miracle

next year will be heads down and bums up od

we will be lucky to win any games and will be wooden spooners

anyone who expects more is dreaming

there will be wholesale delistments, we will lose some to FA and trades

replacing these players (apart from draftees) will be a gargantuan task

our chances of attracting any good FA's or good trades are small

we won't get our midfield next year

or did you foresee a miracle

You won't get an arguement from me dc.

I have close to the same opinion.

You can add reduced membership, reduced Attendances and more stories on our relevance in the competition.

I would like to hope so (mainly so we can trade for a good mid) but Demonland has begun to think that even if we dont finish last the AFL are just going to hand us pick 1.

We shouldn't just assume this because it can only end badly (e.g. we get a pp at the end of round 2).

Is there any basis behind this idea we are getting pick 1?

I reckon this is a silly assumption. Everyone is getting carried away, particularly on the trade/draft threads (myself included) and seems to assume that we are going to get a top of first round priority pick.

We'll be extremely lucky if this happens but we definitely should not count on it.

I assume this, because the AFL needs to help us. A PP at the end of the 1st round or in the 2nd round is going to do SFA to help us.

I hope GWS win another game.

While I don't take any joy in getting the spoon, I like the fact that about 12 clubs will be knocking on our door trying to get T Boyd off our hands.

If we were 'lucky' enough to be able to be in a position to draft Boyd, I'd hope they'd do this. Boyd is an outstanding player and a top prospect. You don't go past the 'top' prospect.

Hogan and Boyd would be a great forward pair for many years.

Clark has an ongoing, if not chronic and career ending injury and Dawes seems to be injured regularly. There is no guarantee that either of them will be long term players for us.

• Like 1

If we were 'lucky' enough to be able to be in a position to draft Boyd, I'd hope they'd do this. Boyd is an outstanding player and a top prospect. You don't go past the 'top' prospect.

Hogan and Boyd would be a great forward pair for many years.

Clark has an ongoing, if not chronic and career ending injury and Dawes seems to be injured regularly. There is no guarantee that either of them will be long term players for us.

See i don't subscribe to this Clark is gone talk, our information from the club is that he will be fine for pre season, could have potentially been training now if he had pulled up 15% better, if he doesn't play at all next year it will be time to start thinking like that, but until we are told otherwise i think it's better to assume Clark will be right to go round 1 with no more hiccups

See i don't subscribe to this Clark is gone talk, our information from the club is that he will be fine for pre season, could have potentially been training now if he had pulled up 15% better, if he doesn't play at all next year it will be time to start thinking like that, but until we are told otherwise i think it's better to assume Clark will be right to go round 1 with no more hiccups

That is my main worry.

I stopped believing injury reports decades ago.

Before the season started they said he was fine to start no problems.

They said when he went out that all was ok just a couple of weeks to have the pin removed and all would be well.

He has not looked like training seriously since.

They are making an educated guess.

The reality is usually way short of the actual, tell them what they want to hear.

That is my main worry.

I stopped believing injury reports decades ago.

Before the season started they said he was fine to start no problems.

They said when he went out that all was ok just a couple of weeks to have the pin removed and all would be well.

He has not looked like training seriously since.

They are making an educated guess.

The reality is usually way short of the actual, tell them what they want to hear.

We will have to wait and see, just imo speculating is pointless, he is going to play until we hear different.