Sylvia wants to stay

I don't care what people say about him, I really respect him. He recommitted a few years ago when we were rock bottom, and he intends to do so again. He has remained loyal to the club over his time, I really hope he can put a stella year together by the end of his career. I know I will be there the day he gets chaired off the ground after his final game.

I think he's my favourite player.

• Like 1

Sylvia can be the focal point of Melbourne.

In a dark dark dark year he has been very solid and given his 100%.

this last 3 weeks Melbourne have improved and i have visibly seen an improvement in endeavour and chase.

Under a good new coach, (such as Roos) Sylvia could hit a new level.

I reckon he has this year, he's not so erratic anymore

Go Col

• Like 7

It's not Sylvia's fault he's not as good as we think he should be; perhaps he has reached his peak and this is as good as it gets with him.

I'm pleased he's said he wants to re-sign and Watts has too, it's as much symbolism as anything else it shows a new coach and the football public that there is faith in the club, it also helps the younger kids when they see the older players commit to the club.

Sylvia is a good footballer with some glaring faults; whether he can fix these faults remains to be seen, I'd like to see him play on a wing or half forward, I think he would be most damaging there.

• Like 3

He's said he'll do what's right for him. Hopefully he still feels at season's end that what's right for him is staying at the club.

I hope he stays and I suspect he will, but I'll hold off the celebrations until he actually signs.

I think it's fair to say he's pulled the digit out this season. People were asking for some consistency of effort and performance. He's providing that.

His experience should be kept. It would be good for the other players, to see him play some good footy under the new Coach and finish as a one club player.

Theres defintely validity in this. It might be interesting to see how he reacts to a new coach ( elite coach ) after a full preseason. Im more curious than anything, certainly not expecting too much. ( Ive learnt )

It is yay, more for the symbolism of it more than anything. I'd have thought Sylvia was one of the most at risk players and most likely to leave if the wider playing group thought they were wasting their time here. I'm happy to hear this.

Really?

I thought Sylvia had shown that he's quite comfortable coasting along throughout his career...

• Like 1

Really?

I thought Sylvia had shown that he's quite comfortable coasting along throughout his career...

I must confess this has always been my impression of him. Even this years better efforts still seem nonchalant often with easy gets selfish play making up a lot of stats.

He doesnt impose on games in a manner I would have thought his ability might warrant.

Still many are happy to simply reconfigure their expectations and thus be happy.

God this guy gets off easy.

Didn't Goddard say the same at St Kilda? i think he even used the same words?

where is he now?

sign then Col , IF u mean it

You have got it T16

As I remember Abblet saying at Geelong.

I will believe when the signature is on the line.

PS I think a certain TS wanted to be a one club player

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

An former captain of our club, who worked at other clubs as well, once said to me over a cup of tea, " well...if I've learned one thing in all my years in football, it's that everyone at club level lies to you a lot of the time. I now believe nothing that's said to me (by people in the game) until I see the proof."

• Like 3

Didn't Goddard say the same at St Kilda? i think he even used the same words?

where is he now?

sign then Col , IF u mean it

yeah but he blubbered about it later on TV

the jumper meant so much to him

just not as much as $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

like every other player

An former captain of our club, who worked at other clubs as well, once said to me over a cup of tea, " well...if I've learned one thing in all my years in football, it's that everyone at club level lies to you a lot of the time. I now believe nothing that's said to me (by people in the game) until I see the proof."

The second laungage of the AFL is lying.

If you keep that it mind it will preserve your sanity.

Fair enough feeling jaded from past experience. I reckon he'll stay and we'll be a better team for it.

Found an old write-up from the Bendigo Pioneers page and thought it was worth a read 10 years on:

2004%20afl%20conquest%20ds3_resize-500x5

Colin Sylvia

Details:
Club: Merbein
DOB: 8 Nov 85 Hgt: 183cm Wgt: 82kg
Position: Onballer/Forward
Natural foot: Right

Honours:
Victoria Country 2003
All Australian 2003
TAC Coaches Award 2003
2nd Morrish Medal 2003
Centre in TAC Team of the Year
National Draft Camp Invitee 2003

TAC Stats:
2002: 17 games, 28 goals, 21.9 PPG.
2003: 18 games, 21 goals, 25.4 PPG.

Profile:
Now here is one exciting prospect. Colin Sylvia will be a star at AFL level. The youngster was solid last year, but was outstanding in 2003 for Bendigo, Victoria Country and Bendigo Secondary College. Originally from Merbein, Sylvia actually boards with Nathan Brown's family in Bendigo.

He is basically a barrel-chested midfielder who can do everything, but just as impressive is he ability to go forward, be the go-to man and dominate. He could play anywhere from centre to a flank to forward pocket at AFL level no worries at all.

It was well known that Sylvia carried osteitis pubis for a lot of the year, and this meant he spent perhaps more time up forward than he would have liked. Despite this, he still had the ability to win games on his own. He is one of those players who will see a game isn't going the way he likes and will just take it by the scruff of the neck and drag his way.

Colin's kicking is excellent. Can kick a long way, and is very accurate with the weighting of his passes. Not afraid to use his left, which is adequate. Tends to prefer to dispose by foot than hand, and if I did have a query it is his handballing, can miss targets.

His marking ability for his size is simply incredible. Sylvia had the highest vertical leap of ANY player at draft camp. The guy is capable of winning the car one year, that's how good a grab he is. Is also unbelievably strong in the hips - he loves to work one-on-one with someone in a marking contest, keeps his feet really well.

Does all the team things and is hard at the footy - 111 tackles including 13 in a game give you some idea of his work ethic. He is super competitive and even when he is struggling with injury still gives his all. Colin is usually poised and calm in traffic as well. The list of achievements as long as your arm gives you some idea how good he was this year.

I saw him play a full game in the midfield early in the year and he was awesome. I think once he gets over his OP he will be a superb player. Definite top 5 selection for mine.

• Like 1

Hey Col you want to stay then take a salary cut for all the years you underperformed for Melbourn eor just go away \

Whats the problem Col your manager told you there is zero interest from other clubs gee what a surprise

It's not Sylvia's fault he's not as good as we think he should be; perhaps he has reached his peak and this is as good as it gets with him.

I'm pleased he's said he wants to re-sign and Watts has too, it's as much symbolism as anything else it shows a new coach and the football public that there is faith in the club, it also helps the younger kids when they see the older players commit to the club.

Sylvia is a good footballer with some glaring faults; whether he can fix these faults remains to be seen, I'd like to see him play on a wing or half forward, I think he would be most damaging there.

Of course its not his fault its the fault of the soft [censored] in the melbourne footy club for putting up with him and thinking he was going to perform

In his own words, his best footy is ahead and I agree with that.

I dont care if hes not going to reach Judd status like many probably hoped he would be.

The thing is he is a good mature footballer with his best ahead.

Its good if he will stay and provide leadership to the future stars. Something we have been lacking.

Article in the HS is interesting especially the below

While Sylvia said negotiations were taking place, it is understood no one in the Sylvia camp has been in any rush given Melbourne's state of flux and his poor relationship with Mark Neeld.

Did anyone have a GOOD relationship with mn?

Dodged a bullet there big time me thinks.

That effort in the final seconds then when Stevie J kicked that goal from Colin was pathetic, how can you ever get ahead when your senior players give efforts like that.

• Like 1

That effort in the final seconds then when Stevie J kicked that goal from Colin was pathetic, how can you ever get ahead when your senior players give efforts like that.

Agree - Gee Col is frustrating. Some of his efforts early in the last were fantastic but far to many flat spots.

Do we really want him to stay I think not he opitimises everything wrong about where the club has been Just Go away Col i am sick to death of watching your pathetic efforts

And to think you are supposed to be playing for your career What a joke Just go away and Good luck

• Like 1