Jack Fitzpatrick

Solid defenders don't knock the ball back into play 2 times in the space of 10 seconds when a throw in is the smart result. Dunn has been far from solid. Although his actual ability to stick with a man and use of the ball has been ok. The main concern for Dunn is finding a suitable opponent who won't score on him. Anyone quick or strong is a bad combination. Hence why he's ended up playing tall a fair bit because there are slow and laboring talls.

If Sydney go in with just White and Tippett and a raft of midfield types I think I'd be incline to ditch Dunn for Strauss. Otherwise Dunn could go to a Mitch Morton or Everett (if he's played forward) but really if Strauss was dropped for lack of intensity and the contest then Dunn deserves the same treatment. At least Strauss has never really had a good run of games, we've seen Dunn get game after game for 5 years now.

Strauss has been so unreliable

I get nerves when he gets the ball and I really dont think he is able to focus and concentrate for long enough

Strauss has been so unreliable

I get nerves when he gets the ball and I really dont think he is able to focus and concentrate for long enough

I take it you didn't watch Strauss' game for Casey on Saturday then?

Back on topic, re Fitzpatrick, he has played seven games, he has overcome shoulder surgery, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and being diagnosed with Diabetes 1 (and the changes to lifestyle that entails), he has played his guts out at Casey and been rewarded.

He is growing in confidence with every game and until Clark is fit, he will do me up forward, it is up to him to keep his place on the list and if he continues on from Saturday he will do it

From somebody who has watched him in junior games and at Casey, when he had the shot from the boundary I sat back and said to my lovely lady he'll kick this.....seen him do it before

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 3

Back on topic, re Fitzpatrick, he has played seven games, he has overcome shoulder surgery, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and being diagnosed with Diabetes 1 (and the changes to lifestyle that entails), he has played his guts out at Casey and been rewarded.

He is growing in confidence with every game and until Clark is fit, he will do me up forward, it is up to him to keep his place on the list and if he continues on from Saturday he will do it

From somebody who has watched him in junior games and at Casey, when he had the shot from the boundary I sat back and said to my lovely lady he'll kick this.....seen him do it before

agree saty 7 games

like a lot about him, big kid just getting started doesn't need any flack yet

all posters on this site need to give him time, please don't burden a kid of 7 games to either stardom or the scrapheap

btw saty how do you like glorious monday

Edited by jazza
  • Like 1

Casey isn't AFL Sat, it's a big jump and Strauss doesn't have what it takes at the top level in my opinion.

If you ask me, he and Lynden Dunn are playing for the same spot, but I'd rather Jack Grimes in there than either one of them. I hear he's coming back soon, so the clock is ticking for the both of them.

It is interesting that Craig went for Dunn over Pederson on Saturday, even though there was clearly going to be a mismatch in height in our back half because of it. It cost us dearly at times, particularly in the dying minutes of the game, and could even have cost us the game.. Personally, I think Dunn is too small for a tall back. He is better suited to the wing it HBF, where his run and kicking abilities can be better used.

Casey isn't AFL Sat, it's a big jump and Strauss doesn't have what it takes at the top level in my opinion.

The point being you said you were nervous when he got the ball? why?......he was a level above on Saturday which he should be.....his kicking is not the problem, bit like Watts can be sometimes, stands back trying to read the ball out instead of getting in and getting it, only knock I have on him, although most of the time this can be beneficial if you can use it if you get it...Houli at Richmond being a prime example

There is a reason why 200cm players go late in the draft. They take a long time to come on, if at all. Fitzy is progressing nicely and, given an injiry free run, should play for the rest of the year. He will, IMHO, not get to his best for another 18-24 months.

• Like 1

It is interesting that Craig went for Dunn over Pederson on Saturday, even though there was clearly going to be a mismatch in height in our back half because of it. It cost us dearly at times, particularly in the dying minutes of the game, and could even have cost us the game.. Personally, I think Dunn is too small for a tall back. He is better suited to the wing it HBF, where his run and kicking abilities can be better used.

Don't want to hijack the Fitzpatrick thread, but Dunn while a good long kick for goal is not a good field kick. He kicks the ball too high so it takes forever to reach its target thereby allowing the opposition to spoil.

Now, back to Fitzpatrick. What's our preferred long-term big man combination once Jamar is no longer playing? Can we play all of Gawn (or Spencer), Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Watts and Fitzpatrick in the same team? Given our dearth of midfielders and other teams' shortage of ruckman, do we trade out one of the big guys (and if so, which one) for a midfielder (or two)?

In fairness to Dunn it was Frawley on Cordy in the last minutes. Dunn was then moved on to Tory Dickson and whilst Dunn and let him get off the chain in the last quarter but whilst match on the giant potato that is Cordy he did well. But I agree it's not a viable long term option.

When I look at the bulldogs forwards the match ups for Dunn would've been Stringer, Dickson, Murphy or Gia. It's a bad sign for Dunn that they preferred McDonald and Garland to play small on those types of players because they didn't rate Dunn's smarts or defensive skills against them.

Don't want to hijack the Fitzpatrick thread, but Dunn while a good long kick for goal is not a good field kick. He kicks the ball too high so it takes forever to reach its target thereby allowing the opposition to spoil.

Now, back to Fitzpatrick. What's our preferred long-term big man combination once Jamar is no longer playing? Can we play all of Gawn (or Spencer), Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Watts and Fitzpatrick in the same team? Given our dearth of midfielders and other teams' shortage of ruckman, do we trade out one of the big guys (and if so, which one) for a midfielder (or two)?

no we don't trade them out

W/C played kennedy, cox, natanui,lynch, darling

everybody said it was genius and impossible to beat such a tall forward line

if anything we will trade IN and see the pieces fall into place

Oh...there's already a thread on this topic called Top Heavy. Better to put any discussion there.

In fairness to Dunn it was Frawley on Cordy in the last minutes. Dunn was then moved on to Tory Dickson and whilst Dunn and let him get off the chain in the last quarter but whilst match on the giant potato that is Cordy he did well. But I agree it's not a viable long term option.

When I look at the bulldogs forwards the match ups for Dunn would've been Stringer, Dickson, Murphy or Gia. It's a bad sign for Dunn that they preferred McDonald and Garland to play small on those types of players because they didn't rate Dunn's smarts or defensive skills against them.

Frawley was frankly pathetic on Cordy when he allowed him to take that mark without even providing any body pressure. If it were anyone else who did it, they would be howled down all week on the Demonland forums.

• Like 2

Long-term I think Gawn is no. 1 ruck and Fitz is backup/spare forward. Spencer may push for that no. 1 spot, but neither of them are good enough around the ground to be the second ruck/utility/forward that Fitz and Clark can be. This will of course leave us with too many tall forwards. Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts and resting ruck is way too much for the forward line. Competition for spots is a good thing, but it's a waste to have one or two of them playing reserves.

Long term plan:

Ruck - Jamar, Gawn, Spencer

Forward/ruck - Clark, Fitzy, Gawn

Key Forwards - Dawes, Hogan, Watts

Half forward flank - Howe

Half back flank - Watts

I think thats our preferred set up with the bolded players in the best 22 and the non bolded as depth. Due to Clark's injury and concerns I think Fitzy is too important to trade. Also I could very well see Fitzy keeping his spot next year and Clark being nursed back as a key forward only and Hogan spending time in the VFL building his game. Or even playing 3 big forward and Fitzy and a ruck and slotting Howe into the midfield. Either way until we establish Clark's return and probably his return as a forward/ruck we can't trade big Fitzy. Of course I don't think he's untouchable and if someone offers up a really quality midfielder in the right age bracket of 20-23 I'd take it.

The one who is tradeable due to where he sits on the chart is Spencer. However I doubt the offers will be coming too hard. He's played 1 good game in 6 years.

And people will scream at me for saying it but Watts is another who doesn't quite fit the scheme perfectly as he isn't quite flexible enough to really get up the ground and play as the forward and midfielder you need to be unless you are a key forward or a regular goal kicking threat. That said I think the right move is to keep him as there is something symbolic about him being our number 1 pick and us finally developing him correctly and making a man out of him. It will also be a boost to have him sign on when he could leave.

Frawley was frankly pathetic on Cordy when he allowed him to take that mark without even providing any body pressure. If it were anyone else who did it, they would be howled down all week on the Demonland forums.

The replay didn't show it and I missed it live but I do believe Cordy (through some dark magic or otherwise) turned Chip around. If Chip was right on Cordy then no way does he not get body on and spoil it.

Tom McDonald was also with his man in front and tried to get back but I think half the problem Frawley faced was there was no pressure on the kick in and Frawley had to guard the dangerous space behind the contest.

Tommy Mc probably made more sense as the guy to move to Cordy after Jones got taken off and put Frawley on one of the dogs better smaller forwards.

The replay didn't show it and I missed it live but I do believe Cordy (through some dark magic or otherwise) turned Chip around. If Chip was right on Cordy then no way does he not get body on and spoil it.

Tom McDonald was also with his man in front and tried to get back but I think half the problem Frawley faced was there was no pressure on the kick in and Frawley had to guard the dangerous space behind the contest.

Tommy Mc probably made more sense as the guy to move to Cordy after Jones got taken off and put Frawley on one of the dogs better smaller forwards.

As I remember it, Cordy did a J motion toward goal and then away from it. Frawley wasn't paying attention and didn't turn around quick enough, so he ended up just doing an I.

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and this topic is about Fitzpatrick, give it a rest, I am already looking forward to see them having a crack against Sydney and Fitzy taking another step

Sorry I have missed it what are you trying to tell me?

He had a great game, but that non-contest was diabolical, especially given the state of the game.

At the time I almost didn't notice it, but watching back on the replay, I have no idea how it happened. Lose of concentration? did he lose his footing?

It didn't help that there was no pressure on the kicks coming in either. Because at the end of the day, the comeback started in the middle where the Dogs got one uncontested clearance after another, and we did not give a yelp. Yes, Gawn being out on his feet didn't help, but our position was god awful and Griffin finally broke loose of Nicholson and it all turned to absolute shite.

My biggest wish for next year, apart from getting a gun senior coach, is getting a great midfield coach. Our positioning at the bounce is seriously shambolic. I don't understand how we are constantly caught with numbers on the wrong side of the contest.

Bring back Ratten?

• Like 2

There is a reason why 200cm players go late in the draft. They take a long time to come on, if at all. Fitzy is progressing nicely and, given an injiry free run, should play for the rest of the year. He will, IMHO, not get to his best for another 18-24 months.

Agree. You don't find quick,versatile big blokes, growing on trees. They need to be developed. I think we have now learned that.

• Like 1

Frawley hegded his bet with McDonald in front of him he started to move to the goal square for the long bomb to the vacant square, however the kicker went short and Frawley was left out of position.

Just joshing Sat

he wasn't joking saty

he was just saying that to appease you