Dominic Sheed

This doesn't usually happen. What just happened at Brisbane is atypical. He's also a very close friend of Jesse Hogan, which is significant. Players love their mates and play for their mates, so don't underestimate his friendship with Hogan and its importance if he comes to the Dees.

At the end of the day though most players won't leave if they're having success. That becomes the bottom line.

I have heard he is extremely keen on WCE.

This doesn't usually happen. What just happened at Brisbane is atypical. He's also a very close friend of Jesse Hogan, which is significant. Players love their mates and play for their mates, so don't underestimate his friendship with Hogan and its importance if he comes to the Dees.

At the end of the day though most players won't leave if they're having success. That becomes the bottom line.

Tom Scully and Sam Blease are best mates you know...

• Like 2

I have heard he is extremely keen on WCE.

He may well, but any young intelligent player understands how the draft works. Rory Sloane cried when he was picked by Adelaide and now you can't get him out of there. Simon Black was distraught he was chosen by the Lions. Wines wanted to get picked up by Melbourne, but now loves Port. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Btw, I love it how posters say they've "heard" stuff. They're usually embarrassed to say where. Rightly so in most cases.

• Like 1

So ?

Well just because he is best mates with Hogan doesn't mean he will have a long term future ahead of us. Heck id be more worried about Hogan leaving then this bloke.

Friends come and go when your a professional AFL player. Yes him and Hogan might be good mates but he also has 100 other mates back in Western Australia that would be egging him on to come back and play for one of the WA sides.

Money also talks. If he gets offered a fat mega contract by West Coast or Freo it would be a massive temptation for him especially if we don't improve on field. Freo and West Coast are still very good teams who have big supporter base and good lifestyle. Just ask Hogan..

• Like 1

Not picking players because they may go home is pathetic nonsense.

No offence, deeman, but kids are idiots who don't know what they want.

I will back Roos and co. to provide an environment that keeps Hogan (WA), Toumpas (SA), Viney (Krypton) et al at the club.

• Like 8

rjay, I suspect it's fair to say that others have seen more of him than you and I, and without exception they rate his inside game. You admit you've seen him once on tv.

On my limited viewing he seems like the perfect inside mid who can also spread and damage on the outside. He reminds me of Wayne Schwass, but a slightly slower version, but as others have pointed out, he isn't slow. I can't quite fathom how you don't see inside ability.

You're right that it's limited viewing so I will defer to our guys to get this one right, he maybe the one Mahoney was talking about. I think the phantom guys are all over the place on him, but if he is the most complete mid in a mids draft then surely he would go at pick 2 and not 11 as one of them called. If we pick him at 9 I hope what you are seeing and the phantom draft guys have is on the money.

He has a decent kick on him and he accumulates the ball (smart footballer), is he quick, maybe not but he is a deceptive loper so he seems to cover the ground ok. Good size, yep built to play game one but I haven't seen inside...others say he has it so you would think he does.

I don't see his inside ability because in his 30+ disposals in that game the only ball he got that was close to inside was a centre bounce clearance that he got from a ruck hit-out and that was more outside of the contest running away, there was no real hard contested stuff you would see from a Viney or a Wines. Most of his possessions came from feeding off others or on the lead, smart footballer.

Lets not draft highly fancied youngsters from WA because of the go home factor...actually scratch that thought.. I was distracted by the thought of Hogan dominating the [censored] out of our forward line... carry on :)

Well just because he is best mates with Hogan doesn't mean he will have a long term future ahead of us. Heck id be more worried about Hogan leaving then this bloke.

Friends come and go when your a professional AFL player. Yes him and Hogan might be good mates but he also has 100 other mates back in Western Australia that would be egging him on to come back and play for one of the WA sides.

Money also talks. If he gets offered a fat mega contract by West Coast or Freo it would be a massive temptation for him especially if we don't improve on field. Freo and West Coast are still very good teams who have big supporter base and good lifestyle. Just ask Hogan..

Do you really think I'm saying that because he's close mates with Hogan he'd never leave ? I'm just trying to add a semblance of sense to unfounded paranoia.

Having watched footy for a long time and having had a Brother on Hawthorn's senior list for 3 years, I can confidently tell you that a player's teammates are nearly everything to him. It doesn't stop someone leaving if they get a Scully deal, but, given normal circumstances, if a player is at a club that is building towards success and they feel a part of that journey they won't leave. AFL players are still very loyal.

If you want to conjure up scenarios where they will go that's your choice, but I prefer to deal in the normal, while at the same time acknowledging that "normal" isn't a word that can be used around this club over the last 6/7 years. Clearly I'm expecting things to change and the environment surrounding this club to be different very quickly.

He may well, but any young intelligent player understands how the draft works. Rory Sloane cried when he was picked by Adelaide and now you can't get him out of there. Simon Black was distraught he was chosen by the Lions. Wines wanted to get picked up by Melbourne, but now loves Port. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Btw, I love it how posters say they've "heard" stuff. They're usually embarrassed to say where. Rightly so in most cases.

Sloane wanted to be picked up by Melbourne.

Wines wanted to be picked up by Melbourne.

Makes me want to cry, especially when one considers that the likes of Ball, Adams and Wellingham won't even agree to talk to us.

I think if you're seriously looking at Sheed, and Salem is still on the board, then you take Salem.

If you had 10 recruiters in a room and asked them the question over these two players, who knows what the split would be, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't divided.

Right now no-one knows who'll turn out better and I haven't seen enough of both. If I went purely by reading and limited footage I'd now lean towards Sheed.

I do concede that I'm only going off highlights and the U18 Championships I attended at Simonds Stadium and then Etihad (obviously Sheed was then out with the fractured collarbone).

But Sheed looked a touch slow, a touch unchecked, and Salem has clearly much better disposal in my opinion.

I do concede that I'm only going off highlights and the U18 Championships I attended at Simonds Stadium and then Etihad (obviously Sheed was then out with the fractured collarbone).

But Sheed looked a touch slow, a touch unchecked, and Salem has clearly much better disposal in my opinion.

I could name countless champion mids who weren't fast. Anyway, we'll see.

And he's not slow, just not quick.

I've heard that Sheed ran a 3.00 sec flat at the combine (unconfirmed), which isn't sluggish.

Would like to know how quick Wines was at the combine? I can't see Sheed being any slower than him.

From memory Trengove ran a 3.00 sec 20m in his year, which didn't put the recruiters off taking him at pick 2 at the time. FWIW, I think Trenners will get a bit of pace back this year with a full preseason.

I reckon it goes like this.

Within this crop of midfielders, most seem to have at least one or two standout attributes to their name.

Sheed on the other hand doesn't, and it seems that many here see that as a negative thing. Ie, 'he's a good honest footballer' etc

Dom Sheed does most things of an above average standard, which screams consistency to me. As seen by his numbers in the champs, he wins plenty of the ball with a good mix of contested and uncontested possessions and he hits the scoreboard regularly.

Matt Priddis, Lenny Hayes, Ryan Okeefe are examples of players who don't really have standout attributes, but they consistently find and win the footy for their team and their contributions are immense.

Sheed will be a ripper, no matter where he goes.

• Like 1

But this is about pick 9. I'd be going for the best pure mid and Sheed would have to weigh heavily on Demon recruiters.

The talk over here is that WCE are sure they'll get him with 11, and thus they were happy to do the deal that saw pick 6 go to Collingwood.

Surfice to say that in that swap and the Yeo deal they go assurances from the lions & Pies that they werent picking Sheed?

I'd love to see us trump WCE!

The talk over here is that WCE are sure they'll get him with 11, and thus they were happy to do the deal that saw pick 6 go to Collingwood.

Surfice to say that in that swap and the Yeo deal they go assurances from the lions & Pies that they werent picking Sheed?

I'd love to see us trump WCE!

Definitely going for Acres then - WCE are the shiftiest club when it comes to the draft

Is this guy the surest bet to be a 200 game midfielder at pick 9 ? He's tough, a good decision maker, a left footer, very good endurance, just a solid citizen. There may be players with more flair, pace, etc., and I'll be happy with whomever we pick, but I see merit in a strongly built tough young mid, who can play inside and out, that at worst be a really good player and at best a dominant onballer. Although there's a good chance Brisbane will take him at pick 7.

I understand our need for speed and am trying to reconcile that need with our other need for strong over the ball types that stand up in finals. Viney, Tyson and Sheed (all left footers) would dominate the centre square for the next 8-10 years.

None of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis or Sewell are quick. But they were complimented by Smith, Rioli, Hill.

None of Kennedy, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Hannebery, who is decent, are overly quick, but they were complimented by Jetta and the athleticism of Goodes. They've also got Rohan coming back from injury.

None of Selwood, Bartel, Corey, Chapman, are quick, but they had Junior, Motlop, Varcoe who had some toe.

We do need speed, but in some ways I'd like to get the grunt sorted first, as the outside pace should be an easier problem to solve. And if the team starts to win some contested footy and SPREAD, SPREAD, SPREAD, then you seem quicker than you are with quality ball movement. Michie, Viney, Watts all have decent pace, but it's an area to address. Barry in time ?

But this is about pick 9. I'd be going for the best pure mid and Sheed would have to weigh heavily on Demon recruiters.

Agree very safe bet with Sheed there are better players but he will be 150-200 game player

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in another thread, I don't see Sheed winning a lot of contested ball or agree with Priddis comparisons.

Rather, I think he gets a lot of touch through positioning, reading of the play, and workrate.

These things of themselves are great attributes to have, but I think he lacks any burst pace, and doesn't hit the contested footy hard enough at this stage.

He'll be an ok player, but I don't know if he'll ever be better than that.

In fact, I think I just figured out who I think Sheed (if he maximises his potential) will be like: Daniel Cross.

Not a bad thing at all, but I think we should be aiming higher.